• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft wants to bring Xbox Live cross-platform gaming to Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, and more

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Uh...Yours?

I have many theories. Maybe the theory that this is just the beginning for Microsoft. That at some point gamepass will be available on other devices including switch? I dunno man, you gotta be specific.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
I wonder if the strategy will be something along disc-less streaming box, most powerful console and Live cross-platform service on everything.
Maybe I'm talking out of my ass here but the little bit I saw was complaints about Nintedo eShop? being lackluster or whatever, they could just use Live no?
Not like those 2 are overlapping each other's market or to be more precise audiences, if anything they compliment each other.

That leaves Sony to protect us 40 year old children from jeebus knows what they think we need protecting from.........shhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttt!!!
Jokes aside though Sony can stand alone, they got the software and name brand and has been standing firm since 1995 so we're all good if it happens as I hope/wrote?

lefty1117

Gold Member
the best case scenario is microsoft providing the OS and online services, sony building the hardware, nintendo making the games

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"Yo Big N, we heard you didn't have any achievements, so how about you let us slide right into your online and get your playerbase addicted to ours."

;)

Foxbat

Banned
"Yo Big N, we heard you didn't have any achievements, so how about you let us slide right into your online and get your playerbase addicted to ours."

;)

There's likely more truth to your statement than some would care to admit. It's also likely the main reason Sony has been against crossplay this gen with Xbox.

In Nintendo's case, they know full well what MS can offer vs what they can do on their own. From overall network, to little things like chat having to use your phone. Nintendo might realize that it might be beneficial to them to let someone like MS come in and handle much of that stuff... As long as the price and stuff is right.

Sony otoh is in a different position. They have their network up and running. They don't need that stuff the way Nintendo does.

Your "addicted" term is an interesting one though. Neither Nintendo or Sony can compete with MS when it comes to services or features in this space. Nintendo has apparently realized this, and is willing to work with MS. Sony has also realized this, and wants no part of crossplay because of it. If there was full on crossplay with chat, friends, achievements, etc... Sony would likely lose some people due to MS's ecosystem just being flat out better.

HalfClip

Neo Member
Microsoft is doing all the right things going into next gen. Quite the opposite of TV TV TV. The target now seems to be gamers.

They won't be easily trampled this time, spreading their service across multiple devices will see to that.

Last edited:

Foxbat

Banned
Microsoft is doing all the right things going into next gen. Quite the opposite of TV TV TV. The target now seems to be gamers.

They won't be easily trampled this time, spreading their service across multiple devices will see to that.

While they may not be easily trampled, I fully expect Sony to sell more consoles than MS next gen.

I'm completely fine with that, as sales numbers don't affect how good a console is as long as it reaches a certain threshold.

In short. I expect the next Playstation to sell more, but I expect the next Xbox to be a better console.

CRAIG667

Dude, I've been paying for the game pass for 2 months. Enjoyed Forza throughly and i fell in love with.

First: As mentioned before, it is not what it people are making it look like. It is a matter of ecossystem. if you have a google account, you see the ease in loging in and creating accounts everywhere. This is a similar situation. I am not enforcing bias when I say Nintendo shouldn't have let this happen from a Business standpoint. Cross-Play is awesome, keeping stuff from games like Minecraft is too.

But if Nintendo allows this the way the unrespectable people in this thread are assuming, Nintendo itself WILL lose money in many fronts. If the case is a game pass presence in the Switch, as it has a lot of third party games, these same games wouldn't come to Switch.

Nintendo is letting another ecosystem in its own, and this has its ups and downs for the income. Nintendo regulates, sells dev kits, and also gets money from every step of a game to be released on its system, as any other company in the business. Letting Live be there the way some people are assuming IS idiocy at its best. They share a big market share with MS even though Big N thinks they do not. People would rather buy a game off live or game pass than going to their store for example. Anyway, from a user standpoint, this is a dream coming true and I agree with that, but as I said. MS never really cared to participate in this business to explore production of entertainment in the first place. They always wanted to win then living room with some gadget to bring Windows to it, as Bill used to say when xbox og was released. If there was something better than gaming, they would have opted for it instead.

They never cared how they would do, and this new approach is just a revamp of their old intention, changing the business model to confort their own, but nowadays they dont want only the living room, but being present everywhere. It is not to say this is more than business. Not saying it is machiavelic to want this. Just saying Nintendo, given all this info, should not have let this happen.

Or.... There may be a deal in place where Nintendo receive a cut of gamepass revenue from MS... Who knows? I'm sure N will be getting more out of this than meets the eye dude.

Top Bottom