• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft wants to buy Metal Gear license from Konami

I mean I don’t care about Kojimas games at all, not my thing. But if this were true I feel like those old school MGS fans would actually be down - like dont they want Kojima to be in charge of that ip in general? Or associated with it in any capacity if there is another game? And didn’t he and Konami have a massive falling out I have no idea why am I here

Last edited:
I don't think developing a new MGS game, or even getting Kojima to work on it is the point. More importantly, this would mean getting the entire MGS franchise on PC/Xbox. That would be huge whether Kojima is involved or not.

The franchise would be infinitely better off than with Konami.

PhaseJump

Banned
So Microsoft is buying Metal Gear so they can release a collection on PS5 that includes a Gamecube remake Nintendo owns the code for.

Am I following these rumors correctly?

You need to build on them rumors.

My brother's sister's uncle who works at Xbox and carries a Nintendo lunch box all the time told me Kojima is going to produce an XGS/Konami demo of Otacon's Lab from MGS using Unreal Engine. The desks in the room will have N64s with fully playable Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Kazooie. If you sneak around, you will find loose copies of Goldeneye and Bomberman 64. This game demo will ultimately be deleted from the Azure network and unplayable, like P.T.

Pallas

Gold Member
Not sure what to think about this, because the series is all but wrapped up from Snake/Solid Snake’s perspective but it might make more sense if they just want to release the entire series on Gamepass?

I think the early Nintendo games getting an entire remake would be interesting or maybe a couple games from Liquid Snake’s perspective?

But I would honestly want an entirely different IP if Kojima is going to be in front of it.

Calverz

metal gear solid GIF

quest

Not Banned from OT
"Oh please be true! Please be true!

Let them BUY EVERYTHING!

It's not that I want my favorite trillion dollar corporation to attain a monopoly over the largest entertainment industry, as if that actually would end up being a good thing for me as a consumer.
No, not at all. I'm not a fanboy. Really. I'm not that stupid!

I just want to enjoy the meltdowns! Just the meltdowns..."
OE51FSZ.jpg

Iced Arcade

At least someone will be doing something with the franchise.

Would also make sense to try to get any kind of traction in Japan.

Liar

Banned
Even Kojima wants nothing to do with it.
Kojima is, like, the biggest attention whore in the entire gaming industry.

Even if he wants to work on something else, no one will finance him, since everyone knows that majority of players only want Metal Gear games from him.

He is free to decline, but in that case he is as good as another indie developer, and knowing him, he doesn't want to be seen as such.

Gp1

Just remake the second part of MG5 and we're done. The story is already completed.

I wouldn't complain if they announce a remake of Metal Gear 1 and 2 but... Meh...

Dabaus

Banned
This is pure fanboy fantasy. Even the root of this rumor “acg” or whatever speculates about Konami and implies it’s his opinion. Konami isn’t going to license mgs to Kojima for obvious reasons and they’re not selling the mgs license. Stop.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This is pure fanboy fantasy. Even the root of this rumor “acg” or whatever speculates about Konami and implies it’s his opinion. Konami isn’t going to license mgs to Kojima for obvious reasons and they’re not selling the mgs license. Stop.
Everything is for sale.

ehh... personally think MS could spend their money on better things. The only place that the MGS name means anything is with hardcore gamers. The funny thing is I bet MS/Xbox has potentially reached out to get a whole sports genre exclusive, but it just wasn't "worth it" cause the league NFL/NBA/FIFA wanted a $$$ amount that MS did not think was worth it. Shit I bet you they've even thought about the potential of buying up Call of Duty, but it just didn't make money sense. As much cash MS has on hand, they're still strategic about how they spend it. They will not spend money on something they do not think, or has the potential to, will make that money back. They're not stupid.

I never understood the buying SEGA thing, like that made no sense to me... like really? I don't know if some of you are just about keeping something away from the "other side" aka "enemy" or if some of you really wanted that to happen so MS would bring back franchise that had been long dormant. In that case I thought CAPCOM might have been a better get, especially if the main goal was to keep certain games off the "other platforms" you know 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Everything is for sale.
Guys, Konami isn’t selling mgs to Microsoft. They’re not selling the mgs license. What do you think that’s worth to them? Billions of dollars probably. Phil isn’t allowed to spend billions for a game that has no history of performing well on their console. Step back from the ledge please. I get Xbox has a good month of press for the first time in 7-8 years but this is just crazy.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'd be interested in the back catalogue but I'm not sure Kojima's heart would be in it even if everything did fall into place. Poor guy can't escape the franchise.

Blond

Banned
Konami is now only a zombie, a shadow of its former 90s self.

But MGS is dead too. All the story arc is completed, how much more milk they can extract from that corpse?
Supposedly a buddy of mine who was working at Square Enix Japan during the “Kojima in the closet” situation was that he really wanted to milk it more. That whole cloud obsession didn’t start with Death Stranding. He said that people he hung out was a destiny MGS style game was his idea so that the series basically never ended and Konami wasn’t having it after how much MGS 5 cost after the ballooning delays. He basically got mad with power thinking he could get away with what he wants financially.

rapid32.5

I would rather play fully realized P.T game from Kojima than MGS and I'm an MGS fan.
P.T and MGS 2 are his best achievements.

Last edited:
Guys, Konami isn’t selling mgs to Microsoft. They’re not selling the mgs license. What do you think that’s worth to them? Billions of dollars probably. Phil isn’t allowed to spend billions for a game that has no history of performing well on their console. Step back from the ledge please. I get Xbox has a good month of press for the first time in 7-8 years but this is just crazy.
I would bet that MGS is worth less than any one of Castlevania, Contra, Bomberman, or Dance Dance Revolution to Konami. Survive bombed, and since then they have done nothing with the license. At this point if it isn't mobile or pachinko Konami could care less. Besides, if MGS was worth billions then it would be anywhere from 1/6 to 1/3 of the entire market cap value of Konami (Which is around 5.5 billion USD).

Papacheeks

Banned
Considering Sony have had the movie rights for ages, I'm calling bullshit on this.

You think they are going to pay for that without some consideration in the deal for games? Get real!

Isn't that already in production? Oscar isaac attached to play solid snake.

Dabaus

Banned
I would bet that MGS is worth less than any one of Castlevania, Contra, Bomberman, or Dance Dance Revolution to Konami. Survive bombed, and since then they have done nothing with the license. At this point if it isn't mobile or pachinko Konami could care less. Besides, if MGS was worth billions then it would be anywhere from 1/6 to 1/3 of the entire market cap value of Konami (Which is around 5.5 billion USD).
Guys, keep in mind that we already know kojimas next game is a smaller episodic game using the “power of the cloud.” How that has become this I can’t say but you people are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Kojima is, like, the biggest attention whore in the entire gaming industry.

Even if he wants to work on something else, no one will finance him, since everyone knows that majority of players only want Metal Gear games from him.

He is free to decline, but in that case he is as good as another indie developer, and knowing him, he doesn't want to be seen as such.
I'm sure Kojima would not want to be tied to one franchise his entire life because all some want him to do is MGS games over and over again.

Death Stranding is a good start. It shows for once that a developer is willing to think outside the box and take risks and I will always support that.

Keihart

I have so little interest in a remake of MGS and i consider myself a fan of Kojipro games, its just so redundant and those games have aged perfectly. Even the old as of MGS1 is better than twin snakes, those games are lighting in a bottle.

I would much prefer a new project by Kojipro than some remake.

Last edited:
Guys, keep in mind that we already know kojimas next game is a smaller episodic game using the “power of the cloud.” How that has become this I can’t say but you people are setting yourself up for disappointment.
Oh believe me, I realize this is a rumor. I'm not exactly getting my hopes up, but when you have rumors that Microsoft is trying to buy MGS and another one that they are trying to sign a deal with Kojima, then one can dream!

"Oh please be true! Please be true!

Let them BUY EVERYTHING!

It's not that I want my favorite trillion dollar corporation to attain a monopoly over the largest entertainment industry, as if that actually would end up being a good thing for me as a consumer.
No, not at all. I'm not a fanboy. Really. I'm not that stupid!

I just want to enjoy the meltdowns! Just the meltdowns..."

Excuse me??? $1.93 trillion last I checked. Closer to $2 trillion than $1 trillion. How dare you diminish the Microsoft stack like that?

Dabaus

Banned
Oh believe me, I realize this is a rumor. I'm not exactly getting my hopes up, but when you have rumors that Microsoft is trying to buy MGS and another one that they are trying to sign a deal with Kojima, then one can dream!
This is fanboy fantasy internet rumors delusion at its absolute worst.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i personally think this rumor is a farce because Sony is going to publish the MGS movie.

Just take a look at Sony strategy right now.
Uncharted movie, LOU series, everything is tied to the video game owned by Sony.

I understand Sony does not own Konami IP, however it would be very weird if Sony publish the movie yet microsoft bought the MGS video game license, because they would be giving free publicity to Microsoft (assuming the rumor is true)

Last edited:

Keihart

i personally think this rumor is a farce because Sony is going to publish the MGS movie.

Just take a look at Sony strategy right now.
Uncharted movie, LOU series, everything is tied to the video game owned by Sony.

I understand Sony does not own Konami IP, however it would be very weird if Sony publish the movie yet microsoft bought the MGS video game license, because they would be giving free publicity to Microsoft (assuming the rumor is true)
Lets be fair here, it would not be the first time that a Sony division has no fucking clue what the other one is doing.

What’s really going on here? First rumors of a collection of MGS games on PS5. Now rumors of Microsoft buying the Metal Gear franchise? The game would sell better on the PlayStation, but I doubt Sony would really care if Microsoft purchases Metal Gear with their current direction and decision making.

What I wonder about is IF Microsoft acquires the MGS license, what will they do with it especially if Hideo is not in charge of it? In fact, I’m actually terrified of what will happen to the franchise if Hideo doesn’t have full control of the franchise. I doubt Konami would sell the franchise to anyone, but you I guess you never know. We’ll see what happens.

Anyone thinking this wouldn't be a good buy isn't thinking clearly enough. A proper reimagining/revitalization of this series in the right hands with the right team and the right direction would be exciting. We will see if this is true.

Microsoft desperately trying to become a Monopoly in the gaming industry. They are the only one out of the big 3 to not have won a generation. So they are definitely feeling the heat now.

Top Bottom