• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: We Could Have Used Variable Clocks for Xbox Series X, But We’re Not Interested in TFLOPS Numbers

Microsoft opted to keep its console's clock rates fixed, Sony went with the bold choice of using variable frequencies for both CPU and GPU, a decision that made the PS5's 10.28 TFLOPs figure feel misleading according to our own colleagues from Hardware as it only refers to the 'best-case scenarios' when there is no downclocking involved.

In a new interview published on Spanish site Xataka, Director of Program Management for Xbox Series X Jason Ronald said that Microsoft could have easily used the same approach to reach a higher theoretical TFLOPS figure, but that would have made it harder for developers to optimize their games.

We focus on optimizing the developer experience to deliver the best possible experience for players, rather than trying to 'hunt' down certain record numbers. We've always talked about consistent and sustained performance.
We could have used forced clocks, we could have used variable clock rates: the reality is that it makes it harder for developers to optimize their games even though it would have allowed us to boast higher TFLOPS than we already had, for example. But you know, that's not the important thing. The important thing is the gaming experiences that developers can build.
The Microsoft executive also suggested that the mere I/O speed of the Xbox Series X (which is inferior to that of the PlayStation 5, according to the official specifications) doesn't tell the full story.

Things go beyond the numbers that we may or may not share. Sampler Feedback Streaming (SMS) allows us to load textures and makes the SSD drive act as a multiplier of physical memory that adds to the memory that the machine itself has.
We also have a new API called Direct Storage that gives us low-level direct access to the NVMe controller so that we can be much more efficient in managing those I / O operations.

Hmmm interesting.

Leonidas

They do care about the Tflop advantage, they just aren't interested in artificially inflating it with variable clocks.

We could have used forced clocks, we could have used variable clock rates: the reality is that it makes it harder for developers to optimize their games even though it would have allowed us to boast higher TFLOPS than we already had, for example. But you know, that's not the important thing. The important thing is the gaming experiences that developers can build.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
giphy.gif

Getting the popcorn ready.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
He says it would have made it harder to develop for if they used variable clocks? How so? I really wish he would expand on that. I would think there are multiple variables that could play into how difficult it would be. So while using variable clocks would make it harder to develop for, maybe there are ways to compensate in other areas to make it easier, maybe balance it out.

ManaByte

Gold Member
He says it would have made it harder to develop for if they used variable clocks? How so? I really wish he would expand on that. I would think there are multiple variables that could play into how difficult it would be. So while using variable clocks would make it harder to develop for, maybe there are ways to compensate in other areas to make it easier, maybe balance it out.

He said optimize, not develop.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Microsoft opted to keep its console's clock rates fixed, Sony went with the bold choice of using variable frequencies for both CPU and GPU, a decision that made the PS5's 10.28 TFLOPs figure feel misleading according to our own colleagues from Hardware as it only refers to the 'best-case scenarios' when there is no downclocking involved.

In a new interview published on Spanish site Xataka, Director of Program Management for Xbox Series X Jason Ronald said that Microsoft could have easily used the same approach to reach a higher theoretical TFLOPS figure, but that would have made it harder for developers to optimize their games.

The Microsoft executive also suggested that the mere I/O speed of the Xbox Series X (which is inferior to that of the PlayStation 5, according to the official specifications) doesn't tell the full story.

Hmmm interesting.

Interesting, but I do wonder if they will upclock a little bit before launch like they did with the X1. They definitely have room and a very sophisticated cooling system to handle it. OTOH, there's not really any need, since the XsX is already the most powerful, but hey, who can't use an extra flop or 2 :messenger_beaming:

CatLady

Do we think we'll see gameplay of Hellblade 2? I really hope so. Halo Infinite gameplay seems like a given.

I also want to see CHORVS gameplay + The Medium and The Ascent.

I doubt we'll see anything form the bolded in the July event since it's the big 1st party show, but I hope leading up to launch we get to see more on those plus I also want to see more Scorn & Call of the Sea too.

GODbody

Is it harder to hit a moving target or a target that's stationary?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I don’t see how more options are bad for developers. Also, Microsoft has been the king of teraflops PR since the announcement of the X1.

In defense of this argument, Sony is also being misleading with their claim of 10+TF, which is only ammo for Sony fanboys to sleep good at night.

ANIMAL1975

He said optimize, not develop.
Yes he said optimize but, doesn't he know that PS5 devkits have fixed clocks so that devs don't need no extra work on optimization?... Looks like a good solution for the doubts he raises.
If that was a jab at ps5 its poor and uninformed one.

Evilms

Banned
Funny how all of the talk about how the PS4 ran games at 1080p and the Xbox One ran games at 720p/900p magically vanished in a puff a smoke as soon as the Xbox One X came out.

The only funny thing it's : they spent almost a year talking about teraflops and now it's not important!

remember : it's a monster, eat monsters for breakfast, the most powerful console ever... blablabla.
they're funny at Microsoft
1466366219-risitas54.png

Last edited:

Leonidas

The only funny thing it's : they spent almost a year talking about teraflops and now it's not important! they're funny at Microsoft

If you read the story you'd see that MS never said they weren't interested in Tflops, only that they were not interested in inflating the value with boost clocks...

The WCCFTech title is click-bait and not entirely accurate.

Tflop value obviously matters to MS with Xbox One X and Series X.

Psykodad

Banned
So MS says that variable clockspeeds makes it harder to develop games, but PS5 is designed to make it easier.
Devs are also praising and being excited over PS5 architecture.

MS better make sure they can back up all their talk with their games. Lol

Also, XSX I/O speed doesn't tell the full story, but PS5 Tflops does?

The only people who talk 24/7 about TFLOPS are the Xbox marketing guys and their fanboys, and that's at least since the Xbox One X.
Don't do that, the TF talk was the main subject in the Next Gen thread 24/7 all day every day, it changed as soon as Cerny took the stand at GDC & mentioned "SSD", now let me correct your quote

The only people who talk 24/7 about SSD are the Playstation marketing guys and their fanboys, and that's at least since the Xbox Series X.
How does it feel ?
Stop the FUD.

Psykodad

Banned
Don't do that, the TF talk was the main subject in the Next Gen thread 24/7 all day every day, it changed as soon as Cerny took the stand at GDC & mentioned "SSD", now let me correct your quote

How does it feel ?
Stop the FUD.
Rumored Tflops were basically the only thing to go by as far as PS5 was concerned. So obviously that was pretty much all there was to talk about.

I'm waiting for that Georgie guy to arrive, and tell us everything, Master Cerny taught him last night. I love reading how something negative, can be spun around to something positive, and even better than the original. "Consuming Sony digital food is superior to real food, because you have the option to purchase the DLC appetizer!" Wtf?!

CatLady

I'm waiting for that Georgie guy to arrive, and tell us everything, Master Cerny taught him last night. I love reading how something negative, can be spun around to something positive, and even better than the original. "Consuming Sony digital food is superior to real food, because you have the option to purchase the DLC appetizer!" Wtf?!

Yeah, I want to see some more charts on how 10 variable is really better than 12 fixed TFs. It's comedy gold.

Top Bottom