• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will "aggressively challenge" any gov't attempt to spy through Kinect

More at the links: http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/16/4526770/will-the-nsa-use-the-xbox-one-to-spy-on-your-family

http://www.oxm.co.uk/58530/microsof...any-government-attempt-to-spy-through-kinect/

Microsoft's been in the news a fair bit lately on the strength of its supposed collaboration with the US National Security Agency - a Guardian report alleges that the latter is able to gather user data via Skype, Outlook and Hotmail with Microsoft's consent. The company has now released a formal statement on the matter, denying much of the report and calling on the US government to allow it "to share publicly more complete information about how we handle national security requests for customer information".

Microsoft has also rejected claims that it will allow the NSA to gather data via the Xbox One's Kinect sensor, which is required for the console to run. "Absent a new law, we don't believe the government has the legal authority to compel us or any other company that makes products with cameras and microphones to start collecting voice and video data," reads a comment mailed to the Verge. "And we'd aggressively challenge in court any attempts to try and force us to do so."

Gadirok

The law? I'm more worried about MS and them spying on me and passing it onto other corps. Kinect should be able to be unplugged to play the One.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It's not just Microsoft. Google, Facebook, and others are asking the government to disclose more information to the public on the data that they requested.

nacimento

NSA:" We want to use Kinect for enhanced observation."

Microsoft:"For the record, we don't want you to do that. Now go, here is all you need."

fratstar

Banned
I don't know about you negative nancies but I trust ms here. They've done a good job at winning back the core gamer and won't lose him out because Holder never read a law book in his life.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I'll aggressively challenge the government's attempts to collect my income tax. It'll probably turn out the same way

Microsoft, your credibility is lost on this one. Just like if Sony was to announce "we are totally great at online security now!"

It might be true, it might not be... but with credibility lost there's no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

"Oh yeah, you guys can snoop through Bing, Office Live, Windows Phones, all that stuff. But don't touch Kinect, that freaks people out for some reason."

Wynnebeck

Banned
NSA:" We want to use Kinect for enhanced observation."

Microsoft:"For the record, we don't want you to do that. Now go, here is all you need."

This. The statement is to save face after you just told us a few weeks ago you are "compelled" to share all info with the gov't.

Microsoft: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

GameSeeker

LOL.

100% PR hype - hoping people will fall for it.

Microsoft is already giving the NSA everything they want and will continue to do so.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so why didn't they do this when the government was seeking data from their other stuff?

I guess the difference is MS passing on data they were already collecting Vs MS actively being requested to gather new data and pass it on.

Whether or not this is true, why the hell would MS make a statement? Given what has come out recently, who in their right mind is going to give MS the benefit of the doubt on this one?

Teletraan1

Banned
MS should just lock themselves in a vault until 3 months after the bone releases, their PR is a nightmare and only seems to rile people up against them even more since it seems so disingenuous.

Freki

Worked wonderfully with Skype...
Not to mention the voluntarily installed backdoors to outlook...

oh wait.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
So they don't deny that Kinect could be used for those purposes then? Interesting...

I'd like to see them challenge and take on the US Govt. / NSA though, they put up such a vocal and persistent fight over the other PRISM stuff after all. :p

Socreges

Banned
Good luck with that.

Should not have mentioned it.
Yep.

MS PR is a fucking disaster these days. I wonder what it's like to work in certain offices of theirs at the moment.

Microsoft: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.
Nice!

Top Bottom