• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft will be at PAX Prime this weekend with Xbox One, games, “surprises”

Announcing the release date at TGS is surely the stupidest decision !
I hope they don't think about doing that.
Sorry Japan you are Tiers 11 !

I would think for something this big, that September would be the dead latest time to announce a new console. TGS would be such an awful place to do it though, especially how they've basically said they aren't an important country for them.

abadguy

Banned
I went to the Microsoft stand and I was surprised by how average Ryse and Forza look.

I was also surprised by how awesome Killer Instinct plays and looks. I still can't believe it. So much love and hard work went into that game, I can see it. I can feel it with my heart.

And I'm not even a KI fan :)

Was really hoping for some new KI stuff. Maybe TGS.

Ok I barely touched MP so can't comment there, but what's bad about the campaign? Admittedly it's less open and more linear than past Halo's, but imo the prometheans are very cool enemies with satisfying designs, animations, tactics and types. I also loved the more human and emotionally poignant Cortana angle. None of the other Halo's built up the relationship with Cortana nearly as well, nor had as much character relevance. Admittedly the general narrative was weak, but the stuff between Chief and Cortana played centre role.

I really didn't like the campaign because all the trademark things that make a great Halo game - Wide open areas, and Difficult flanking Ai were pretty much nonexistent. Its ironic that it was one of the best stories(Though I really had no idea what was going on) and a visual tour de force but it had to sacrifice everything that separates these games from other shooters to do it.

I went to the Microsoft stand and I was surprised by how average Ryse and Forza look.

I was also surprised by how awesome Killer Instinct plays and looks. I still can't believe it. So much love and hard work went into that game, I can see it. I can feel it with my heart.

And I'm not even a KI fan :)

I have two friends at PAX and they told me the same thing about Ryse. They said it was underwhelming on all fronts - visually and gameplay. Not surprising I guess but I thought the game at least looked impressive.

Elginer

I really didn't like the campaign because all the trademark things that make a great Halo game - Wide open areas, and Difficult flanking Ai were pretty much nonexistent. Its ironic that it was one of the best stories(Though I really had no idea what was going on) and a visual tour de force but it had to sacrifice everything that separates these games from other shooters to do it.

Agreed. It had the best visuals and an awesome story but at the expense of what makes Halo... well Halo. I'm a huge Halo fan and Halo 4 was the first Halo that for me had little to no replay value from the campaign. Enemies AI was terrible and the prometheans were nothing more than bullet sponges. Just shoddy and lazy level design as well.

The MP was fun, but also had some serious problems. It could be why I'm really not excited at all for Halo 5 or whatever they call it for Xbox One. I'm much more interested in what Bungie is bringing with Destiny.

Recall

So a PR tells you that there is gonna be a surprise and you believe him? Its his job to get you interested in anything.

How come people don't take these things with a pinch of salt?

Got a response from Nelson. Posting a picture in a second.

So...nothing new.

164d263f_ibxFWGla38dwbC.gif

Racer1977

Really thought MS were waiting for Sony to make their move, then announce their release date within 48hrs.

Now, it makes you think Sony's date isn't even a factor for MS, they are having their own issues to deal with.

Ok I barely touched MP so can't comment there, but what's bad about the campaign? Admittedly it's less open and more linear than past Halo's, but imo the prometheans are very cool enemies with satisfying designs, animations, tactics and types. I also loved the more human and emotionally poignant Cortana angle. None of the other Halo's built up the relationship with Cortana nearly as well, nor had as much character relevance. Admittedly the general narrative was weak, but the stuff between Chief and Cortana played centre role.

Surp RYSE ingly i've been enjoying multiplayer. The Pit is very fun, CTF on the pit got my heart racing like Halo use to. Very intense shit.

I have two friends at PAX and they told me the same thing about Ryse. They said it was underwhelming on all fronts - visually and gameplay. Not surprising I guess but I thought the game at least looked impressive.
Isn't the playable stuff at PAX just the multiplayer? I'd imagine that, like most games, the singleplayer will at least look better (even if the gameplay is the same).

Minions

Announcing the release date at TGS is surely the stupidest decision !
I hope they don't think about doing that.
Sorry Japan you are Tiers 11 !

We are all forgetting that it is possible they will just call everyone back to Microsoft and have another "Release Date" event. Of course the last one they did (Pre-E3) was pretty bad (in a big tent); Not bad as in a bad event, more bad as in they had no unified message and pretty much handled all messaging poorly.

So has there really only been 2 XB1 game reveals since E3? (Fable and that not minecraft Mojang game at GC?)

Thats not good. Feels like something new for PS4 get announced every week or two even outside of conventions.

Amir0x

Banned
So has there really only been 2 XB1 game reveals since E3? (Fable and that not minecraft Mojang game at GC?)

Thats not good. Feels like something new for PS4 get announced every week or two even outside of conventions.

I'm sure that's probably missing a game announcement or two, but to be sure Microsoft has not been announcing a lot of stuff lately. But that's because they don't have a lot of stuff left to announce - because of the overwhelming negativity surrounding the Xbox One prior to E3, they blew their load at the show to try to get ahead of it. That still didn't work, but the end result was strategically they had revealed most of their big guns. They still have a few left, but they're probably waiting for a more important time to counter... like when Sony announces Uncharted at the VGAs or something like that.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
TGS (Tokyo Game Show) - they announced the 360 release there.
Well, sure, but that was back when they still thought they had a shot at Japan.

I'd bet on it just being a standalone announcement at this point.

Top Bottom