• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft 'would love' to bring cross-platform play to Minecraft on PlayStation.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-would-love-bring-cross-platform-play-minecraft-playstation

So we got back in touch with Microsoft to inquire about the possibility of Minecraft players, finally, being able to link up across every major platform. Redmond's response was promising:

"We believe in giving gamers the opportunity to play the games they want with the people they want. Whether that means working with our partners to deliver cross-network play with games like 'Rocket League' and 'Fortnite' or enabling cross-device play with the likes of Minecraft, we are supportive of new scenarios that enable more people to play and have fun together while gaming. We would love to bring players on PlayStation 4 into our Minecraft ecosystem as well but have nothing further to share at this time. "

Codes 208

Honestly i just want the bedrock version so that i can get a platinum again since theyre separate games.

Ive messed around with the crossplay stuff before, but the problem is that its specific to those paid servers, local servers for standard online worlds is platform specific iirc

Vawn

Banned
They'd LOVE to make you create and sign in to an Xbox Live account on PSN? Well, no crap.

They'd LOVE to make you create and sign in to an Xbox Live account on PSN? Well, no crap.
People keep saying this but it's logically incoherent. What exactly does making an Xbox account to play online do? Does it download an Xbox into your home? Does it make you buy games on an Xbox you don't have? Does it make you abandon your PlayStation 4?

mindblown.png

FranXico

People keep saying this but it's logically incoherent. What exactly does making an Xbox account to play online do? Does it download an Xbox into your home? Does it make you buy games on an Xbox you don't have? Does it make you abandon your PlayStation 4?

mindblown.png
It artificially increases their active users numbers. Microsoft would like that, of course.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It artificially increases their active users numbers. Microsoft would like that, of course.

Well, whatever their reason is, you can’t say it’s a bad deal that whatever platform you download your dlc for then it’s shared between any platform you play on so you only have to buy it once.

That’s what Epic does with Fortnite, but I guess it’s ok as long as you are not Microsoft.

Akuza89

Well they've done fortnite I don't see why not minecraft.

However with Sony's record at the moment I suspect an announcement for cross play when the ps5 comes out.

FranXico

Well, whatever their reason is, you can’t say it’s a bad deal that whatever platform you download your dlc for then it’s shared between any platform you play on so you only have to buy it once.

That’s what Epic does with Fortnite, but I guess it’s ok as long as you are not Microsoft.
Of course.

I said why MS would like it, not that it bothers me.

The_Mike

Of course.

I said why MS would like it, not that it bothers me.

But is it only Microsoft that would like it? Wouldn’t the players that have multiple platforms like only having to buy DLC once?

FranXico

But is it only Microsoft that would like it? Wouldn’t the players that have multiple platforms like only having to buy DLC once?
I don't think it would be just that either. How does Minecraft sell its DLC on the Switch? Does it go through eShop or bypass it?

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

mindblown.png

They say it because MS stopped giving sales numbers and its all about the MAUs now. Having all Ps4 Minecraft players using a XBL account would falsely inflate those numbers and MS would report bigger amount of users as measurement of success.

The_Mike

I don't think it would be just that either. How does Minecraft sell its DLC on the Switch? Does it go through eShop or bypass it?

Through eShop. Nintendo still gets their cut, and Microsoft does as well as they own the game.

It’s like Fortnite. Just because Epic has their own store (on PC), you still buy v-bucks on each respective platform.

Codes 208

They say it because MS stopped giving sales numbers and its all about the MAUs now. Having all Ps4 Minecraft players using a XBL account would falsely inflate those numbers and MS would report bigger amount of users as measurement of success.
Has this been bragged about lately? Because the bedrock update has been available on all other platforms for awhile now and i dont recall any inflation of xbox users via switch and mobile.

On top of that, ps4 players wont be forced to use it, this doesnt effect the ps4 edition, its a separate free game for those who own the ps4 edition (or can be bought separately by new users) for those who dont want to make (or use an old msn) account for free.

The only thing this drastically affects are the egos of console warriors.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Has this been bragged about lately? Because the bedrock update has been available on all other platforms for awhile now and i dont recall any inflation of xbox users via switch and mobile.

On top of that, ps4 players wont be forced to use it, this doesnt effect the ps4 edition, its a separate free game for those who own the ps4 edition (or can be bought separately by new users) for those who dont want to make (or use an old msn) account for free.

The only thing this drastically affects are the egos of console warriors.
How else are Ps4 users going to connect to users using XBL in Cross play?

FranXico

Through eShop. Nintendo still gets their cut, and Microsoft does as well as they own the game.

It’s like Fortnite. Just because Epic has their own store (on PC), you still buy v-bucks on each respective platform.
Well, that being the case, there's really nothing special about Minecraft then.

Zewp

How else are Ps4 users going to connect to users using XBL in Cross play?

You're deflecting from the question. Does MS use Switch and mobile player numbers to inflate their Xbox player count? And has this been bragged about recently?

There are dozens of games on PS4 that require you to sign into a third-party service to use it. Final Fantasy 14, as an example. This is just as dumb as saying Sony will use the crossplay between FF14 users on PS4 and PC to artificially inflate their stated number of PS4 users.

I know you're just here to shit on MS, but this is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The_Mike

Well, that being the case, there's really nothing special about Minecraft then.

It’s special in a way that if you buy the DLC on the eShop and then play on your PC, Xbox One or PS4, then you still have access to the same save and DLC at no extra cost.

Zewp

drop the Xbox Live requirement, problem solved ???

The game's crossplay is dependent on 3rd party servers (just like Fortnite), in this case Xbox Live servers. This is like saying Fortnite should drop the requirement that needs you to log into their service to play MP.

Kdad

No horse in this race (have both a live and psn account, just dont play minecraft)...just a question

regarding MAU and whether Switch players are included: There is this quote from Spencer that they are counting pure Android only users in their MAU, don't see why it would be different for Switch or PS4 users.
http://time.com/4823546/xbox-one-x-microsoft-phil-spencer/
We’ve got millions of people who come into Xbox Live via Android, they don’t own any of our devices and they come in. We’ve got a lot of people who come in through Windows, millions of people. It’s why on a quarterly basis now Microsoft talks about Xbox Live MAU [monthly active users] as our gaming metric. We don’t talk about console sales. Obviously consoles are part of driving MAU. But our monthly active user base on our network is the strategic asset that we’re trying to grow across all devices, whether it’s mixed reality, your iPhone or someone playing on an Xbox.”

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
It’s special in a way that if you buy the DLC on the eShop and then play on your PC, Xbox One or PS4, then you still have access to the same save and DLC at no extra cost.
DLC yes, but saves not. Only if you pay for a realm and play online. I also thought that cloud-saving was a thing with the bedrock engine. Wanted to check out my switch world on my smartphone but that doesn't seem to work

The_Mike

DLC yes, but saves not. Only if you pay for a realm and play online. I also thought that cloud-saving was a thing with the bedrock engine. Wanted to check out my switch world on my smartphone but that doesn't seem to work

Oh yeah I just read the faq, actually the only version with cloud saves are Xbox One.

But it’s still neat only having to buy DLC once for all platforms.

Vawn

Banned

mindblown.png

It does a lot more than you think.

It forces PlayStation players to put one foot in the door into the Xbox ecosystem. Having them earn achievements can further cement this.

Its product placement. It can be used to advertise Xbox to PS4 players, while they are on their PS4s.

Ever wonder why you can't watch PS Vue on Xbox? They don't want Sony advertising PlayStation to established Xbox gamers.

Sony would be stupid to allow cross-play for any game that would require an Xbox Live log-in.

Ar¢tos

You're deflecting from the question. Does MS use Switch and mobile player numbers to inflate their Xbox player count? And has this been bragged about recently?

There are dozens of games on PS4 that require you to sign into a third-party service to use it. Final Fantasy 14, as an example. This is just as dumb as saying Sony will use the crossplay between FF14 users on PS4 and PC to artificially inflate their stated number of PS4 users.

I know you're just here to shit on MS, but this is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
You know?
Am I?
Judged and sentenced in seconds here.
Put your defense shield down, this isn't gamefaqs and I I'm sure you are not 14 years old.
From a business perspective, makes total sense to force Ps4 users to use a xbl account, the bigger the numbers, the happier the shareholders are.

Pallas

Gold Member
Oh man not this again ... I don’t know why anyone would not want crossplay with Minecraft it they’re a fan of the series because of all the benefits with the recently updated versions. Like I see the same people against it that were against Fortnite console crossplay. Honestly do you really care about MAU’s and Microsoft supposedly artificially inflating their user count? It’s their game, I’d say the same if Sony owned Minecraft, they would do the exact same thing if they wanted to crossplay with it(which is logical considering how huge and massively successful the game is)

WHY would any of you exactly care about this? If Sony allows it, fans of be game on Sony’s platform will get the most updated version with all the goodies. If they don’t, then they obviously have their reasons but unless you are an employee of Sony or some kind of stockholder that this would affect your profits negatively, you should be for this, if not for you then your friends, relatives, etc who are fans of Minecraft.

This won’t doomed Sony, this wont cause people to buy more Xboxes or Switches over the more popular PS4.

But hey keep fighting the good fight, and I don’t mean just those defending this, but the other sides that defend other stuff that isn’t best for the consumer(like Xbox’s paywall for FtP games)

The_Mike

Oh man not this again ... I don’t know why anyone would not want crossplay with Minecraft it they’re a fan of the series because of all the benefits with the recently updated versions. Like I see the same people against it that were against Fortnite console crossplay. Honestly do you really care about MAU’s and Microsoft supposedly artificially inflating their user count? It’s their game, I’d say the same if Sony owned Minecraft, they would do the exact same thing if they wanted to crossplay with it(which is logical considering how huge and massively successful the game is)

WHY would any of you exactly care about this? If Sony allows it, fans of be game on Sony’s platform will get the most updated version with all the goodies. If they don’t, then they obviously have their reasons but unless you are an employee of Sony or some kind of stockholder that this would affect your profits negatively, you should be for this, if not for you then your friends, relatives, etc who are fans of Minecraft.

This won’t doomed Sony, this wont cause people to buy more Xboxes or Switches over the more popular PS4.

But hey keep fighting the good fight, and I don’t mean just those defending this, but the other sides that defend other stuff that isn’t best for the consumer(like Xbox’s paywall for FtP games)

Because then it will be harder to use numbers for console wars if Microsoft accounts are used for DLC and cross-play.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Epic has Epic Account, Bethesda has their own thing and will use it for their card game, and the same for Rocket League.
Microsoft is using Microsoft account, nothing wrong with that. It’s the only way to track what you buy and make it available to you on all platforms. Nothing to do with MAU. Microsoft didn’t make the game crossplay only to add to their MAU.

Like yeah right, they spent 2 billion dollars and long term all they wanted was to use Minecraft to boost their MAU numbers. Really people?!

It does a lot more than you think.

It forces PlayStation players to put one foot in the door into the Xbox ecosystem. Having them earn achievements can further cement this.

Its product placement. It can be used to advertise Xbox to PS4 players, while they are on their PS4s.

Ever wonder why you can't watch PS Vue on Xbox? They don't want Sony advertising PlayStation to established Xbox gamers.

Sony would be stupid to allow cross-play for any game that would require an Xbox Live log-in.

It is no different than creating an Epic account to play Fortnite. You are overthinking this and just creating concerns that aren't there. Minecraft is on Switch with crossplay , do you see Switch users acting this way?

Zewp

Completely agreed. The irony is that someone like me owns Minecraft on PC, Switch and Xbox One. If crossplay was available on PS4, I'd probably buy it there too for the convenience. And I'm willing to bet I'm not alone in that view. I stay subbed to Xbox Live Gold for games like Minecraft, but most of my MP gaming is done on PS4. By letting me crossplay Minecraft on PS4, Sony would be taking away one more reason for me to stay subbed to Xbox Live Gold. The Switch version, while fun to play while traveling, is not my preferred way of playing at home. The reduced view distance can get quite jarring at times, especially during fps intensive weather like rain.

I also hope all the overly defensive Sony fanboys know that not having crossplay is probably losing Sony a lot of Minecraft sales. The main audience for Minecraft is, and has always been, preteens and children in their early teens. These are people who usually don't have a choice in which console their parents but them. When all your friends in middle school have different consoles, everyone can play together except for those with a PS4. How does this benefit anyone? And who's going to buy Minecraft PS4, knowing full well it's gutted compared to the others? You're locked out of a shit load of online servers and content by playing the PS4 version.

I really cannot fathom why people are still defending Sony's stance on Minecraft. It makes no sense to defend something that renders MC PS4 pretty much obsolete. We can only hope that they change their minds, just like they changed their minds on Fortnite.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Of course MS would be happy to. Have you seen how they have monetized the shit out of this game? That's Minecoins available for 80 million more people.

The_Mike

Of course MS would be happy to. Have you seen how they have monetized the shit out of this game? That's Minecoins available for 80 million more people.

Yeah it sucks that you are forced to buy these stupid coins in the update.

Oh wait. It’s completely optional.

Kdad

Yes, because I’m sure that if Sony allowed this, the Xbox would suddenly become the best selling console and outpace the PS4. Very smart of Sony to deny their players the best Minecraft experience so they can continue winning!

Just pointing out that Spencer already said they don't care about hardware sales, they care about MAU (see earlier Time Magazine quote) If the future of gaming is streaming services that are decoupled from hardware, it is in both SONY and MS interests to expand/protect their MAU (or SONY equivalent measure). I don't know if SONY is going to roll on Minecraft or not, but I can understand their reticence.

That's probably part of it, but how else are you going to be able to log into Microsoft Servers? You would probably have to do the same thing if Sony put a game on a Microsoft platform.

honestly, I'd rather have a safe XBL account than a shitty PSN account, PSN is like the worst network out there... especially from a security perspective

Top Bottom