• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Xbox One Day One Limited Edition. Still for sale (Fair on pre order users?)

Tak3n

Banned
Hi Guys

I posted a deal on a popular UK shopping forum yesterday that Game (a large game retailer here in the UK) were selling Xbox One day one edition consoles, been in stock for over 24 hours and counting, so either no one is buying or they have a large shipment...

anyway, the general consensus on this other site was that it is a piss take for those who pre-ordered to get the day one edition, especially as are now at day 68...

Do you think MS should of recalled this stock and re packaged to a standard edition to make sure those who pre ordered got something unique or do you think it is ok to still sell the day one stock?

http://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-one-day-one-edition-260303?categoryIdentifier=607603

Magwik

Banned
They made a bunch of day one editions. Nobody bought them. I don't really see the problem. Limited stuff is rarely limited anymore.

antronoid

I don't think it's a problem really, Day One editions are still quite hard to find from other retailers.

Plus other than the achievement and the controller there really isn't any difference, I guess it's only bad for people who wanted it buy couldn't find it and got the standard one instead.

Alx

I don't think it matters much... if you hadn't preordered it, the day one edition is just the regular console coming in a prettier box (that you'll throw away anyway), an additional inscription on the controller and a code for a zero-point achievement.

Danny 117

This is probably leftover stock from those ridiculously overpriced bundles GAME were forcing customers to buy if they wanted a console.

ViciousDS

Banned
I was still able to get the gears of war judgement collectors at ps4 launch. Collectors or limited editions are not what they used to be. They now get flooded to the market.

Persona7

Banned
They made a bunch of day one editions. Nobody bought them. I don't really see the problem. Limited stuff is rarely limited anymore.

Gamestop near me has been getting in one or two day one editions with the weekly shipment for weeks now. I don't know why and they don't know why.

TheZjman

Banned
Shed some light on it.

These would be replacements for returns/faulty consoles.

Game would've replaced the faulty one with what excess stock they had at the time, and then these would've come in later from microsoft as the official replacement. So these would've been what was sold earlier.

That's why some of them just don't have games with them, where the code would've been redeemed already.

They are fine, i bought one from my shop a couple of weeks ago.

Madness

Why is it a 'piss-take'? They have day one stock, apparently people want to buy it, so they're still selling what they're clearing out. Apparently, my friends girlfriend got him a day one for Christmas nearly a month after launch. I'm guessing a lot of people who reserved or pre ordered them didn't buy them, or someone who had one set aside got it canceled. Don't see why they would take it back as opposed to trying to sell it?

cameron

Collector or not, what difference can it possibly make?

They manufactured x amount of units and labelled it as day one limited edition. Scenario A: They sell out on day one. Scenario B: They don't sell out on day one, so they continue to sell whatever leftover stock.

How does either scenario effect you in any way? Whatever perceived value or uniqueness you attribute towards the day one edition shouldn't change.

Man the book industry is fucked with this logic.

Quick, recall all first edition copies from everywhere, we need to print the 2nd edition!

Plasma

Banned
I don't really care, I have a day one edition the special controller is a nice touch but other than that there really isn't any difference it's just a marketing thing.

Striek

Sure its fair. I'm actually surprised MS manufactured different models to begin with for launch. It seems like an unncessary expense on their behalf. I fully expected "day one editions" to be the norm for 2013 and be even more readily available on shelves post-launch.

BibiMaghoo

Surely it is something to be pleased about, that people unable to get them at the time, can now do so...

Not sure why someone would have a problem with this, unless they are the kind of person that doesn't like others to have what they have.

I found one in Target, brand new, two weeks ago. The clerks were as surprised as me, said it must've been way in the back. I'd been saving up for an XBone but when I saw the Day One I bought it, straight away, I couldn't resist!

T.O.P

Banned
It's like asking if i should feel angry at every C.E. i bought that are still currently available in shop, i don't get it :/

GavinGT

Banned
Sure its fair. I'm actually surprised MS manufactured different models to begin with for launch. It seems like an unncessary expense on their behalf. I fully expected "day one editions" to be the norm for 2013 and be even more readily available on shelves post-launch.

There's not a whole lot of difference between the SKUs. Just a fancy controller and a QR code for the day-one achievement.

123rl

It's Game; do you expect them to sell a console for £430 with Fifa when they can sell the exact same console for a lot more money and force a copy of Fifa onto the customer for an extra £60?

a, It's Game
b, Game are money-grabbing assholes, especially at Christmas or times of high demand
c, Fuck Game.

macewank

why wouldn't it be fair?

they produced <x> number of Day One units and shipped them to retailers. they didn't sell out in some locations, and they're still available there.

it's not like they're still manufacturing the things.

It's just like some collector's editions being available for awhile after launch. I think the Halo 3 "Legendary Edition" was available for years after they stopped making it.

It's simply supply > demand.

besada

Banned
As an owner of the Day One edition, I don't care if other people get them on day 70 or day 385. The impressive stenciling on my controller should be shared by all.

Pjsprojects

Funny enough I just got back from Argos and they had day one edition stacked up on a shelf behind the collection counter.

I know both the latest consoles started well but are we sure they will carry on selling highly?

EGM1966

It's day one for the buyer.

Seems a non-issue unless you're obsessive about not sharing supposedly limited editions (I'm not which might explain lack of concern).

The fact they still have the stock is the more interesting element really - did MS just produce too many day one editions? Where these held back for some reason? I'm somewhat surprised their is stock at all for the day one unless I'm missing something.

I think its only an issue if it was advertised as a "Day one Limited edition" AND cost more than the standard SKU.

As it is, its just another model. Who gives a shit?

Top Bottom