• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One development began in late 2010

Stated in the Xbox One design video posted earlier here.

I can't believe they waited so long to begin work on it. With Cerny saying development began on the PS4 sometime in 2007 and Iwata stating they they're already starting work on a next-gen console after Wii U, I wonder how different the design process is for each of these companies.

It just seems a little late, no?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I honestly don't read anything in to the year figures that companies list, because we don't have a sense of which figure means "we have some internal people dedicated to looking at new hardware" versus which figure means "we've picked a basic idea for our console and now we're locking down parts on a project that's been greenlit to be the next generation of our hardware". It does seem like MS is a little rushed right now, but I just mean I don't read anything into this particular figure.

Meelow

Banned
Both the Wii U and PS4 started development in 2007 while Xbox One started in late 2010...Um wow.

I always thought they would announce the Xbox 720/One in 2011 back than.

iMax

Stated in the Xbox One design video posted earlier here.

I can't believe they waited so long to begin work on it. With Cerny saying development began on the PS4 sometime in 2007 and Iwata stating they they're already starting work on a next-gen console after Wii U, I wonder how different the design process is for each of these companies.

It just seems a little late, no?

You're confusing 'Xbox One' with 'the next generation Xbox'. They are not the same.

udllpn

I would take all this with a grain of salt, especially when comparing the development of the Xbone with that of the PS4 or Nintendo consoles.

This is what concerns me most about Bone software - everything was started so late and they've not even introduced a platform for indie devs yet. What are you doing MS?

I honestly don't read anything in to the year figures that companies list, because we don't have a sense of which figure means "we have some internal people dedicated to looking at new hardware" versus which figure means "we've picked a basic idea for our console and now we're locking down parts on a project that's been greenlit to be the next generation of our hardware". It does seem like MS is a little rushed right now, but I just mean I don't read anything into this particular figure.

Exactly

3 years with 10 people and then 2 more with 100-200 (or whatever the math is) means you were "working" on it for 5 years

Whereas 3 years with 400 people on it is still technically 3 years

Shahed

People are gonna jump to conclusions regardless, but context is important here. Number by itself is meaningless.

It can explain an awful lot though depending on what they really mean by 'began'

EvB

That who video was about the external appearance of the hardware, not the actual conception of the machine,

Yeah, this all comes down to what they consider as the beginning of development. If they were to mean literally no thought was put into it before 2010, then that would explain the rush they seem to have found themselves in, but I do find that hard to believe.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Yeah, this all comes down to what they consider as the beginning of development. If they were to mean literally no thought was put into it before 2010, then that would explain the rush they seem to have found themselves in, but I do find that hard to believe.

Same here.

Morthas

Neo Member
Looks like someone had to force M$ to start developing a new hardware. I remember E3 2012 and all the complaints about the lack of new hardware and M$ (and Sony) was all like "Our current system still has many years ahead".

They won't start developing another hardware before 2025.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
There's a difference between development and concept phase. They could have been thinking about their next gen console and its direction after the Xbox 360 came out. I think what they are saying is that active development began in 2010, which isn't that surprising.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Wonder why they waited so long? I wonder if Microsoft was feeling ambivalent about staying in the console market.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Depends were not necessarily talking apple to apples here when comparing the three companies statements

"We've begun development" could mean anything from one intern in a cubical drawing pictures to engineers working creating the hardware architecture.

The box itself isn't so bad for something that may have started development so late. It's real problems are more the DRM and anti-used things they are implementing.

We'd probably be okay with the Xbone if it didn't try to kill second hand games and force us online.

oldergamer

use some common sense guys. I doubt this article is accurate at all. MS couldn't start working on the design late 2010 and expect to release games late 2013.

I highly doubt sony started work on ps4 in 2007 only to end up using off the shelf parts. Xb1 has more custom hardware then ps4 has, making things custom means much more lead time up front. Taking off the shelf parts is the fastest method of making a console.

This.

Sony started thinking about PS4 in 2007, it doesn't mean actual development started in 2007. I'm sure Microsoft was 'thinking' about and discussing next-gen in 2007 too.

The policies are muddled, but from a hardware and OS standpoint, Xbox One looks like a mature product.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Perhaps they knew the 3 was a fuck up of sorts. It's ended up not too bad, but they may have just needed a back up console. on the drawing board.
Yeah no shit the PS3 was a fuckup, but seven years to design PS4? One of these two claims is bullshit.

Top Bottom