• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft xCloud will bring console-level gaming to Samsung smartphones.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.sammobile.com/2018/11/09/microsoft-xcloud-console-level-gaming-samsung-smartphones/

Microsoft xCloud or Project xCloud will have support for Samsung’s smartphones and tablets. This was confirmed during the second session of Samsung’s developers’ conference in San Francisco. Project xCloud is a new game streaming service that Microsoft is working on. It will bring console-quality games to a wide variety of devices including mobile devices from Samsung.

“We’re going to create a future where the hundreds of millions of people who are holding a Samsung device are also holding a gateway to a high-powered gaming experience,” said Sarah Bond, Head of Global Gaming Partnerships and Development at Microsoft.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
gD-dI5.gif

Begun the cloud wars have.

And right on the heels of the announcement of PS Now's high chunk of the market.

Interesting times...

Mattyp

Gold Member
If they allow bluetooth controllers then why not? It would essentially be a switch at that point.

I dare say that's what we're looking at. Plug phone into bigger screen tv etc if you like. On the phone will clip into controls just like the switch or a DJI if anywhere here owns one is a perfect example to.

Halo0629

As long as bluetooth controllers works then why not. Hard to enjoy that console level experience when bt controllers don't work well and you're forced with the touch screen.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
1. i am not buying a samsung as long as they push that garbage bloated OS of theirs.
2. i refuse to play games on a touch screen and i'm not carrying about attachable controllers just to play some crappy game. i'd rather just play on my Switch/PS4/PC.

the only way i'd ever consider this is if you can connect the phone to your TV and use a traditional controller. That would be a game changer for sure.

Last edited:
I dare say that's what we're looking at. Plug phone into bigger screen tv etc if you like. On the phone will clip into controls just like the switch or a DJI if anywhere here owns one is a perfect example to.
I mean in terms of functionality, I don’t think it would work like a switch as far as plugging into a tv and seamlessly continue playing. I meant like a switch in that as long as there are external contollers, most phones have a screen size that would make it an ok gaming experience. But really we’re talking about plus and xl size would be the bare minimum.

The major limiting factor and why it won’t ever work as well as the switch is that this is cloud based versus games that are on a device. This severely limits where you can play, consistency of play, duration of play etc. That doesn’t even account for people who may have to deal with data caps and stuff like that.

Skyn3t

Banned
By Samsung phones they probably mean all Android devices. Unless there's a specific deal between Microsoft and Samsung in terms of exclusivity.

1. i am not buying a samsung as long as they push that garbage bloated OS of theirs.
2. i refuse to play games on a touch screen and i'm not carrying about attachable controllers just to play some crappy game. i'd rather just play on my Switch/PS4/PC.

the only way i'd ever consider this is if you can connect the phone to your TV and use a traditional controller. That would be a game changer for sure.

I don’t buy into this for a number of reasons but
I don’t see why the quality of game is an issue for you. This article talks about RDR and Halo, so not sure why you’re saying crappy games. It’s my understanding that this could work with any game.
Also to me it would be easier to carry your phone and then just an external blue tooth controller versus lugging around an entire switch.

By Samsung phones they probably mean all Android devices. Unless there's a specific deal between Microsoft and Samsung in terms of exclusivity.
Yeah im not sure why everyone is hung up on the Samsung aspect here. The article literally says “It will bring console-quality games to a wide variety of devices including mobile devices from Samsung.” So it definitely sounds like it’s not a Samsung exclusive thing.

Vawn

Banned
If they allow bluetooth controllers then why not? It would essentially be a switch at that point.

For the same reasons I don't play now. Mobile game are focused on the majority of people who buy games on mobile which isn't the same crowd as console gamers.

Traditional controls will always be an afterthought. Games will continue to be designed to be as cheap as possible and to make their money through microtransactions.

And if I have to carry controllers around, that defeats the purpose of gaming on a phone. I'll just being a Switch or other dedicated handheld.

For the same reasons I don't play now. Mobile game are focused on the majority of people who buy games on mobile which isn't the same crowd as console gamers.

Traditional controls will always be an afterthought. Games will continue to be designed to be as cheap as possible and to make their money through microtransactions.

And if I have to carry controllers around, that defeats the purpose of gaming on a phone. I'll just being a Switch or other dedicated handheld.
Did you read this article? This isn’t about mobile games. It’s streaming full console games to your phone.

Like I said carrying your phone, which you will have anyway and a controller. Is easier than carrying your phone, a controller and a switch which is an extra larger piece of hardware.

splattered

Wife and I are Note 9 owners/gamers … as mentioned above if we can use a Bluetooth controller maybe with some small sturdy cradle this would be awesome.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Did you read this article? This isn’t about mobile games. It’s streaming full console games to your phone.

Like I said carrying your phone, which you will have anyway and a controller. Is easier than carrying your phone, a controller and a switch which is an extra larger piece of hardware.

Oh yeah? Well try gaming on THIS Mr. Morris!

giphy.gif

Pallas

Not sure why some of you are hung up over this, has nothing to do with today’s mobile gaming, just the ability to stream your console experience to variety of smart phone devices, including Samsung which is the market leader in that area. Obviously you’ll want to get some sort of blu-tooth controller.

It’s a neat concept that isn’t exactly new but never really implemented well, like to see how it plays out.

Wonder if the Switch will allow xCloud eventually.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
People wasn't interested when you could do this with you own console, ie remote play.
Why would they be interested in a subscription version

Weren't you able to have PC level gaming streamed to whatever device you happen to own years ago? Console gaming level streaming would be a downgrade....

DanielsM

Banned
I see people here complaining about not wanting to play console quality games on their phone on the go, but go apeSh*t for Switch, playing the same games you can play on console. Some of you people have serious mental issues that need to be addressed.

What year do you think it is? I could do this a half a decade ago, the thing is... I would never pay for it.

what_year_is_it.jpg

Some of you people have serious mental issues that need to be addressed.

Oh my the fucking irony. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: Against my better judgment as you apparently think everyone here has mental issues, I'll help you out further.... the crazy people must be running the asylum. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

2011, man, you need to get back to the future. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

People can play their Playstation games on iOS/Android today, its just not something people point to as a selling feature or something people have to have. Streaming is an option its just not a very popular option and for good reason.

Do you work for Microsoft or Google? The reason I ask is your comments are something that sound put together by Microsoft/Google's marketing department to try and resell (which is what they are trying to do) something that has existed for quite some time..... as new.

Last edited:
What year do you think it is? I could do this a half a decade ago, the thing is... I would never pay for it.

what_year_is_it.jpg

Oh my the fucking irony. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: Against my better judgment as you apparently think everyone here has mental issues, I'll help you out further.... the crazy people must be running the asylum. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

2011, man, you need to get back to the future. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

People can play their Playstation games on iOS/Android today, its just not something people point to as a selling feature or something people have to have. Streaming is an option its just not a very popular option and for good reason.

Do you work for Microsoft or Google? The reason I ask is your comments are something that sound put together by Microsoft/Google's marketing department to try and resell (which is what they are trying to do) something that has existed for quite some time..... as new.

You totally missed the point and I clearly said some people have mental issues not all. Read clearly what I posted.

Last edited:
Weren't you able to have PC level gaming streamed to whatever device you happen to own years ago? Console gaming level streaming would be a downgrade....
Obviously, it clearly didn't work out due to technical limitations. However, we still aren't sure if these technical hurdles have been overcome. We shall see.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
You totally missed the point and I clearly said some people have mental issues not all. Read clearly what I posted.

So what if you say "some"... you are basically saying anyone that doesn't use streaming on their phone but has a Switch has mental issues. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I read clearly what you wrote, you apparently don't know what you wrote.

And no, "people are not complaining about playing console quality games on their phones". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
So what if you say "some"... you are basically saying anyone that doesn't use streaming on their phone but has a Switch has mental issues. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I read clearly what you wrote, you apparently don't know what you wrote.

And no, "people are not complaining about playing console quality games on their phones". :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Continue to put words in my mouth and using laugh emjois and I'll will have to start questioning your mental health.

DanielsM

Banned
Continue to put words in my mouth and using laugh emjois and I'll will have to start questioning your mental health.

I think your mental capacity has already shown through, you didn't make any sense in your post, just stop.

Nobody is complaining about the ability to play console games on their phones, what you wrote makes no sense. If you want to continue, I would suggest pm me, but you're not making any sense here so it wouldn't make much sense to continue.

Last edited:
I think your mental capacity has already shown through, you didn't make any sense in your post, just stop.

Nobody is complaining about the ability to play console games on their phones, what you wrote makes no sense.
You seem to be the only one who didn't comprehend what I wrote. I'm sorry if you feel it was directed at you, but truth is the truth, and I can't stop won't stop.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Nobody is complaining about the ability to play console games on their phones, what you wrote makes no sense. If you want to continue, I would suggest pm me, but you're not making any sense here so it wouldn't make much sense to continue.
Not to dogpile, but i was scratching my head after reading JustP's post. LOL

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Not into streaming, but I would definitely pay for a portable Xbox One or a portable Microsoft tablet that can play all Xbox One games and runs on Xbox One APU, regardless of what GAF thinks.

It makes no sense but clearly he won't stop. Besides not making sense, even if I were straighten it out for him, he apparently had no idea (or appears that way) you could do this (streaming to a phone) for a very long time. (He's not going to stop)
How well did streaming to a phone work? I'll wait right here for your response.

DanielsM

Banned
How well did streaming to a phone work? I'll wait right here for your response.

Exactly how xCloud is going to work. There is no magic.

Microsoft/Google are trying to resell something that already exists and has existed for quite some time as ---- something new, but its really not. Some services might work better than others in time, but I don't think it makes someone a mental case if they don't want to stream. To be honest, if you're going to stream, logic would say you can stream today for free using your own stuff.... so if its so great why are you not doing it today?

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Glad to see microsoft is laser focused on core console consumers, just like in 2013 lol.

and i guess accessing billions of smartphones is why MS opened their wallet for xbox. Dollar dollar bill y’all.

Last edited:
Exactly how xCloud is going to work. There is no magic.
That's the problem regardless of if it Sony, Microsoft, Google, Amazon or Netflix why don't we wait too see what advancements they've made with the technology. Some are assuming it won't work, some are so negative to new technologies. Let's see what they have to offer. Some of you act as if you want nothing to progress and stay as is.

DanielsM

Banned
That's the problem regardless of if it Sony, Microsoft, Google, Amazon or Netflix why don't we wait too see what advancements they've made with the technology. Some are assuming it won't work, some are so negative to new technologies. Let's see what they have to offer. Some of you act as if you want nothing to progress and stay as is.

Who said it doesn't work? It actually does to a degree, I stream stuff in a pinch from time to time.

The issue is you saying people have mental issues if they don't embrace streaming, basically.

Top Bottom