• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Cheaper Next-Gen Xbox CPU Is More Powerful Than PS5's (best case: 100MHz)

Jon Neu

Banned
By pointing out that the PS5 CPU clockspeed is only one of the pieces and going into details about the many variables. Unfortunately he might have broke an NDA and he deleted his Twitter

So he is just going with the old "the numbers don't tell the whole Picture" without actually refuting the claim.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
So he is just going with the old "the numbers don't tell the whole Picture" without actually refuting the claim.
From what I remember he was talking about (generically) a CPU could have a split address pool but be 100Mhz faster in clock speed, whereas a CPU 100Mhz slower than the one with the split pool but with a unified pool would actually perform better. Something along those lines

Stuart360

Honestly, an around 4 TF GPU (personal guess is 4.6 but let’s stick with 4) at 1080p or around that will perform better than a 10.3 TF max system at close to 4K.

Lockhart as a 1080p system is more powerful than the PS5 as a 4K system
If 1080p really is the target for lockhart, it could actually be a more capable machine than even XSX, assuming XSX is targeting 4k in most games. Thats why the whole thing about lockhart holding back next gen is so stupid.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
He pretty much did. And with the Tempest engine, all of the removing bottlenecks even at check in, I can see PS5 having more resources in some areas

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

I
From what I remember he was talking about (generically) a CPU could have a split address pool but be 100Mhz faster in clock speed, whereas a CPU 100Mhz slower than the one with the split pool but with a unified pool would actually perform better. Something along those lines
Yep, there was more too but unfortunately he had to remove them because of the NDA

Jon Neu

Banned
He pretty much did. And with the Tempest engine, all of the removing bottlenecks even at check in, I can see PS5 having more resources in some areas

No, he literally didn't. He just said "the specs don't tell the whole story".

But he didn't refuted the alleged superiority of the CPU of the XsX over PS5.

Hobbygaming

We know the PS5 will have unified ram, the 52 CU's in the XSX will need to fill those CU's with workload at all times or it loses the performance (which is also hard to do)

These consoles will be a lot closer than many think

truth411

This is getting ridiculous, the CPUs are virtually identical. It doesn't matter if Xbox consoles have a measly 100mhz higher clock. ALL AUDIO work has been off loaded from the CPU in the PS5 to the tempest engine. That's a significant amount of CPU time that can be used elsewhere.
Folks are really grasping at straws.

tryDEATH

They are going to drive this power narrative into the ground, so that every single person alive will know about it and its the smartest thing to do from MS

People on here might not like it and will point to the SSD, but the large majority of consumers really don't know about SSD or don't care, because power has and always will be the measuring stick when it comes to hardware and MS made sure it was going to be The most powerful console™

What is he even trying to imply here? Kind of a "no duh" there, Matt. Is he trying to play into the spec rumors of unified L3 cache between the CCXs in Zen 3 being brought forward into next-gen systems? I've heard those same rumors too, in fact there's rumors both Sony and MS might have unified L3 cache between the CCXs.

But that's why they're called rumors. I know he was a software engineer on PS5 but just playing coyly into a rumor as a suggestion doesn't really say too much. So seeing the next-gen systems will more or less be very similar in terms of CPU architecture, 166 MHz additional speed on the CPU for Lockhart (with SMT on; it's 300 MHz with SMT off, same for Series X) might not be a ton but every little bit counts. Just like how PS5's GPU being 405 MHz faster comes with its own particular advantages.

I thought PS5 and XSX used the same Ryzen cpu, and the only difference was clock speeds?.

Yeah, they're both Zen 2 with maybe some Zen 3 features brought forward, namely unified L3 cache between the CCXs. At least that's what very vague rumors suggest.

I take it you're referring to Matt's tweet? Yeah, it makes no sense and kind of misses the point. It's like he's low-key agreeing with the notion Series S's CPU is faster but trying to play into spec rumors to suggest it's weaker somehow due to being "architecturally inferior" (which would in turn be him essentially suggesting the same of Series X), when all evidence points to them being Zen 2, same 8 cores, same 16 threads, likely similar amounts of cache on the chips etc.

In fact the only difference between Sony and MS on CPU we know of so far (aside from clocks) is MS offers SMT Off feature which could be beneficial for games not relying on multi-threading.

Last edited:

truth411

What is he even trying to imply here? Kind of a "no duh" there, Matt. Is he trying to play into the spec rumors of unified L3 cache between the CCXs in Zen 3 being brought forward into next-gen systems? I've heard those same rumors too, in fact there's rumors both Sony and MS might have unified L3 cache between the CCXs.

But that's why they're called rumors. I know he was a software engineer on PS5 but just playing coyly into a rumor as a suggestion doesn't really say too much. So seeing the next-gen systems will more or less be very similar in terms of CPU architecture, 166 MHz additional speed on the CPU for Lockhart (with SMT on; it's 300 MHz with SMT off, same for Series X) might not be a ton but every little bit counts. Just like how PS5's GPU being 405 MHz faster comes with its own particular advantages.
Read post# 76.

Andodalf

Banned
This is getting ridiculous, the CPUs are virtually identical. It doesn't matter if Xbox consoles have a measly 100mhz higher clock. ALL AUDIO work has been off loaded from the CPU in the PS5 to the tempest engine. That's a significant amount of CPU time that can be used elsewhere.
Folks are really grasping at straws.

I love the implication that SX doesn’t have a hardware based Audio solution as well. Keep spreading that FUD I guess

FlyyGOD

Some people act like the Xbox Series systems doesn't have a proprietary architecture called the Velocity engine that also removes bottlenecks.

Hobbygaming

Some people act like the Xbox Series systems doesn't have a proprietary architecture called the Velocity engine that also removes bottlenecks.
They do. They will be the same with advantages for both here and there

51O.gif

Shmunter

PS5 offloads many cpu dependant tasks onto custom hardware whereas XsX remains traditional. Particularly I/o and sound.

The comparison is meaningless till release, and likely in PS5 favour otherwise creating the custom hardware would have been moot.

Still, nextgen CPU’s are such a leap, there is more than enough For everybody to go around for a while yet.

Last edited:
Read post# 76.

Okay, that isn't really explaining his thought process in that tweet though. As for audio, both systems have dedicated audio processors. PS5's Tempest may be a bit more powerful but it's nothing offloading some work to a single CU via asynchronous programming can't match on the Series systems (and that's assuming there isn't more to their audio setup which has yet to be mentioned).

Tempest still requires devs to make sure they watch the bandwidth, or it can utilize up to 20% of the memory bandwidth (~ 90 GB/s) in some instances. And beyond that there's still the matter of bus contention as when Tempest is addressing the bus other components have to wait their turn. Like with the SSD I/O differences between the systems this is something of a benefit to the Series systems because if some bit of CPU (I/O) or CPU/GPU (audio) are handling the communication, then game logic that is CPU or GPU-bound can still access the bus simultaneously instead of needing to wait.

They're all trade-offs at the end of the day.

PS5 offloads many cpu dependant tasks onto custom hardware whereas XsX remains traditional. Particularly I/o and sound.

The comparison is meaningless till release, and likely in PS5 favour otherwise creating the custom hardware would have been moot.

Still, nextgen CPU’s are such a leap, there is more than enough For everybody to go around for a while yet.

Read the response above. Both systems have dedicated hardware for both audio and I/O. One just has a bit moreso in that respect (PS5).

Again though, each approach as their benefits and trade-offs, as I also indicate in the above reply.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

Totally not true at all. Xbox Series Also has the ability to offload cpu dependent tasks to the I/O ,custom sound chip and ray tracing. Where are you guys getting your information from?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Can't tell if joking or not ...
A bit of both. I get why the pink ranger does not say "white power" which one could think she should due to her miscolouring, but Ido not know why they miscoloured the yellow ranger and did not use the white ranger instead of a miscoloured pink one.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
A bit of both. I get why the pink ranger does not say "white power" which one could think she should due to her miscolouring, but Ido not know why they miscoloured the yellow ranger and did not use the white ranger instead of a miscoloured pink one.

There's no yellow ranger in that picture...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
There's no yellow ranger in that picture...
I mean, you are probably more of a Power Rangers expert than I am, but this is the design of the green power ranger:
Tommy_Oliver_%28Jason_David_Frank%29.jpg

And this is the design of the yellow power ranger:
Trini_Kwan_%28Thuy_Trang%29.jpg

The one in the bottom left corner is using the design of the yellow ranger, not the green one, similar to how the one in bottom right is using the pink rnager design for a white ranger. I can see why you would not want to use green and white rangers in their original design in the picture (same character), but why not let the yellow ranger be yellow and use the white ranger for white?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I mean, you are probably more of a Power Rangers expert than I am, but this is the design of the green power ranger:
Tommy_Oliver_%28Jason_David_Frank%29.jpg

And this is the design of the yellow power ranger:
Trini_Kwan_%28Thuy_Trang%29.jpg

The one in the bottom left corner is using the design of the yellow ranger, not the green one, similar to how the one in bottom right is using the pink rnager design for a white ranger. I can see why you would not want to use green and white rangers in their original design in the picture (same character), but why not let the yellow ranger be yellow and use the white ranger for white?

Ohhhh got it. Didn't even notice that honestly. That is definitely the yellow ranger helmet.

I'm guessing whoever made it fucked up.

Top Bottom