• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Customer Service...it sucks.

Chiggs

Long Story Short:

I was diagnosed with a herniated disc yesterday at the ER; it was excruciating pain, the worst I've felt in my adult life. Right now, I'm bedridden and awaiting surgery that will most likely take place in the New Year.

I was given an Xbox One for an early Christmas gift, and I've been enjoying it for the last few days; the problem is that the power supply is making a loud clicking/grinding sound. Making matters worse, the console is occasionally freezing, forcing me to have to reboot.

Having contacted Xbox One support several times today, I've been assured that the issue is with the power supply. No big deal, right? Just send me a new one.

Nope.

I have to send in my faulty power supply first, and then wait for it to be received by the warehouse. After it's been verified to be defective, a new one will be sent out. The last rep I spoke to tells me this process takes 2 weeks. I ask if there can be exception to this policy. Nope. I ask her if I can just pay for a new power supply. Nope.

I am stunned by this sort of treatment, especially after how terrible Microsoft treated its RRoD customers with the 360 (especially the early adopters). I'm extremely frustrated by the whole ordeal and wanted to see if any GAF'ers know of any workarounds.Any advice would be much appreciated.

ILoveBish

You should have called it The One, only then would they have taken you seriously. Sucks about your problem, why not return it to where it was bought from and get another.

addyb

I have no complaints with their customer service so far. My xbox one kinect died on a weds night. I ordered a replacement online via the advanced exchange program and received my new one on the Friday so say 1.5 days later.

scsa

If the power supply has an issue, refrain from connecting the console to it as that could less to a board failure. The console might be working now on occasion, but pretty soon it will also develop a circuit fault.

Tweet @majornelson perhaps, but be it MS or Sony or any big corp, once you are stuck in such a situation, solutions are kind of hard to come by without taking their own sweet time.

Calmly, but firmly ask to speak to a higher authority. Explain the situation to them.

Still not getting anywhere, take to Twitter. Contact their support, it's a more public forum and harder to ignore.

Anion

As odd as this sounds, if your actual console broke, you would have had a much better experience. I've heard this is the same method they do for peripherals like the controller, unfortunately.

Good luck on the surgery though! I hope your will feel better afterwards.

OmahaG8

CSB: I signed up for XBL before I was 18 (member for 11 years, am now 27) and when Xbox 360 first launched, I was "grandfathered in" to a scenario where I wasn't allowed to view any game ads/marketing info. Sounds great? I found it to be very isolating/lonely (like being on a PC without internet).

I called and when they found out what it was, and that it couldn't be solved, they sent me 2 free games.

Not proud of that story.

Kinda proud

I would have to agree with the above post. Just write a small complaint on twitter/FB etc. I made a funny comment on how Best buy treated me during a tweet, and not even a minute later their support account was tweeting me back about my experience.

Persona7

Banned
Long Story Short:

I am stunned by this sort of treatment, especially after how terrible Microsoft treated its RRoD customers with the 360 (especially the early adopters).

Everyone I know who got RROD got overnight delivery both ways. What happened in your experience?

Scoot2005

Banned
That's fucking stupid. What's the big deal with shipping you a new power brick especially if you offered to pay for it.

That really sucks. They should know better than this. They also should go going out of their way to help customers who have problems like that.

edit: words

Take it back to the store and get a new one. The Xbox One is sold out NOWHERE.

EDIT

Got it from Dell? Tweet the trash and hate on them for everything from now till the end of time. Once it's public they gon give you the royal tanenbum treatment. Do you want gold plated asswipes milord?

Marco1

What amazes me is at a time when they are competing with Apple and it's amazing CS why would your company do the opposite?
No wonder people move over to other ecosystems. If this is how MS do business then fuck'em.
I know it doesn't mean much but I think the xbone has a lot of potential and I'm loving it, I even bought the online complete warranty that gives me up to March 2017.

Take it back to the store and get a new one. The Xbox One is sold out NOWHERE.

EDIT

Got it from Dell? Tweet the trash and hate on them for everything from now till the end of time. Once it's public they gon give you the royal tanenbum treatment. Do you want gold plated asswipes milord?

Yeah, if you can swallow the temporary $500 loss, just return it and buy a new one. They're easy to find now.

My boss got a defective unit on day one from Gamestop. Since GS won't take back the machine, he has to go through MS to get a replacement. Somehow along the way, they keep telling him to send in his machine, someone fucked up and charged his card for 6 Xbones ($3,000) instead of charging him for shipping the product to him like he agreed to. Still hasn't gotten his replacement.

Jo-El

That really sucks, man. I've had pretty bad experiences with Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo customer service.

Nintendo said it was my fault that my DSlite hinge broke(a very common problem. I babied mine.) and Sony just recently told me they'd email me a new $10 wallet code(the one that came with my PS4 didn't work) and instead I got an email a few days later telling me "no can do".

They all really need to learn to treat their customers better. Hopefully you can get this sorted out somehow OP!

ShapeGSX

You need to stop asking them what they are going to do, and instead tell them what that are going to do to make it right.

Cynar

What amazes me is at a time when they are competing with Apple and it's amazing CS why would your company do the opposite?
No wonder people move over to other ecosystems. If this is how MS do business then fuck'em.
I know it doesn't mean much but I think the xbone has a lot of potential and I'm loving it, I even bought the online complete warranty that gives me up to March 2017.
Apple's customer service isn't perfect either. They don't even warranty the buttons in the iPhone or the battery unless you have Apple Care.

shoplifter

Pretty much worthless.

C7JGL2v.png

khuezy

Had my Surface Pro 2 almost explode on me. Contacted them and they said it was high priority, and that I would receive a call within 72 hours. Still have not. Contacted chat support and they didn't seem to care at all.

Never going to buy a Microsoft product again.

Maybe someone you know could just buy a new Xbone from a store, and you could use that power supply while you wait for a new one. Then just sell the extra Xbone for little to no loss?

VaizardNL

Banned
Everyone I know who got RROD got overnight delivery both ways. What happened in your experience?

Same for me. I had to send in my Xbox 360 3x due to RROD and other problems and all were fixed really fast and everything fell under my normal warranty. So the OP must have had a lot of bad luck, since the support has always been great for me.

Utnac

Banned
Long Story Short:

I was diagnosed with a herniated disc yesterday at the ER; it was excruciating pain, the worst I've felt in my adult life. Right now, I'm bedridden and awaiting surgery that will most likely take place in the New Year.

I don't really understand what this bit has to do with the rest of the post / thread?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This is the standard RMA process, as terrible as it seems. Had to do the same with sony's CS last month for a faulty controller. It sucks but I don't think it really reflects their cs in a negative light.

Lima

If you want to buy a new PSU from Microsoft there is a way of course.

https://myservice.xbox.com/en-US/pages/welcome.aspx

Register your Xbox and then in the home menu click on "replace an accessory"

Select your registered Xbox and click on "power supply" and next.

It will lead you to a site where you can place an order for a replacement under warranty.

Now all you do is click on the green highlighted "select an accessory not shown" next to eligible accessories.

Now proceed to checkout and they will sent you a new PSU.

tbm24

Sounds like standard replacement policies. They won't send you a replacement without receiving the defective unit back. I don't think that makes Microsoft evil however.

cilonen

I don't really understand what this bit has to do with the rest of the post / thread?

Probably that he can't just up and run around retail locations or out to the post office / FedEx to sort this out, plus the dude's going to be laid up looking to play games while he recovers.

I have to send in my faulty power supply first, and then wait for it to be received by the warehouse. After it's been verified to be defective, a new one will be sent out. The last rep I spoke to tells me this process takes 2 weeks. I ask if there can be exception to this policy. Nope. I ask her if I can just pay for a new power supply. Nope.

So let me get this straight... They claim (make a press announcement) about having systems on hand for defects. They claimed, that they will send the console first? WTF? Am I imagining that claim? I thought it was the one thing they were doing right....

Hopefully it is the power supply. >.> Nothing would be worse then finding out a new power supply fails because the system itself is messed up and requiring more juice than it should.

I was one of the early 360 failures, and MS were dicks about it. Denying there was any sort of systemic problem (claimed to not know what the widespread nickname "Red Ring of Death" referred to) and telling me I had to pay $128 for the repair.

My buddy ordered his Xbone from the Microsoft Store and UPS lost it during delivery.
It took over a month of him communicating with Microsoft Store and UPS for them to straighten out the issue.
He is still waiting for his replacement to deliver, and it won't even arrive until after Christmas.
He pre-ordered the console way back in June, and isn't even receiving a day one edition now.

He got $50 of Microsoft store credit, but it's still a pretty unfortunate situation.
Although it's most likely UPS's fault, not Microsoft's.

Megatron

Sounds like standard replacement policies. They won't send you a replacement without receiving the defective unit back. I don't think that makes Microsoft evil however.
why should he have to send his in first? He's the customer.

Top Bottom