• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Game Showcase Solidified My XSX Pre-Order

John254

Banned
Yup.
All games showed will be Day One on game pass.
And that's the thing Sony's doesn't have answer to.

I must confess, that I was little disappointed by Halo Infinite namely visuals. Not art style, but visual quality. I get that they are going for open world, but still. It doesn't look that but.
But other then that? Two big RPG's announced. New Forza looks stunning. STALKER 2. And Destiny 2 expansion on Game Pass. Medium looks great. Surprisingly, Crossfire X campaign by Remedy looks good. And also Psychonauts 2 and Everwild.

I'm sure, they won't convince many PS fanboys to switch sides, but it for sure made sure that you won't make a mistake by choosing Xbox next-gen. Their Game Pass offering is just insane.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Interesting post op.

It's definitely the exclusives that are keeping me on the PS5 only, well that and my back catalogue. You really can't go wrong with either console.

Bolivar687

Banned
For the last few months I've been waffling back and forth between what system I'd buy at launch this year. I can only buy one with the money I've had put aside for about a year, so it could only be the Series X or the PS5, but not both. I'll eventually own both, but in 2020 I have to pick one.

I've bought every PlayStation console at launch. I sold my Genesis and games to Amoeba Music in 1995 to get a PlayStation, Ridge Racer, and Toshinden at launch. In 2000 I camped out in front of the Sony Metreon in San Francisco for 18 hours to get a PS2. In 2006 I knew a GameStop manager who was able to secure me a 60GB launch system and ship it to me. Then in 2013 I pre-ordered the PS4 at GameStop and lined up at midnight to pick it up. 2020 will be the first year where I don't get a PS5 at launch. I said I'd wait for the MS showcase to decide and what they showed today, despite all the concern trolling here today, solidified my pre-order:

• GamePass: I can't afford to buy a bunch of launch games, so having all of the first party stuff and the third party games shown in the presentation part of GamePass is HUGE. All I need at launch is the system and I can play new stuff.
  • The Games: I don't care about the memes trolls are making, I can't wait to play an open-world Halo at 60fps. Everwild looks amazing. Forza is my favorite driving series after the last few years, and the stuff further out is exciting like Avowed and Fable. Also really interested in The Medium as that dual rendering idea looks to be an interesting use for the SSD to swap between the worlds instantly.
  • 4K 60: Sure, the concern trolling now tells you that 60fps is overrated, but Halo running at 60fps and Forza being 4K 60 WITH Raytracing is huge. Maybe they can show UbiSoft a thing or two.
  • BC & Smart Delivery: I have a ton of 360 and some OG Xbox games already installed and I do play them all the time. Was playing Fight Night just last night. Being able to play ALL of those plus my Xbox One library on day 1 is huge.
Like I said, I'm obviously going to own a PS5 someday, maybe when a smaller revision comes out, but that solidified my pre-order. Now I just need to decide if I'm going to get it directly from MS or from Best Buy with store pickup.

1452.jpg

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'll watch the event again, but I think what this showcase has shown me is that I should get the system that best suits my personal desires first, and get the other one after. In my case, PS5 first for the games coming soon, and XSX second for some of it's amazing upcoming games down the road a bit.

Amiga

For the last few months I've been waffling back and forth between what system I'd buy at launch this year. I can only buy one with the money I've had put aside for about a year, so it could only be the Series X or the PS5, but not both. I'll eventually own both, but in 2020 I have to pick one.

I've bought every PlayStation console at launch. I sold my Genesis and games to Amoeba Music in 1995 to get a PlayStation, Ridge Racer, and Toshinden at launch. In 2000 I camped out in front of the Sony Metreon in San Francisco for 18 hours to get a PS2. In 2006 I knew a GameStop manager who was able to secure me a 60GB launch system and ship it to me. Then in 2013 I pre-ordered the PS4 at GameStop and lined up at midnight to pick it up. 2020 will be the first year where I don't get a PS5 at launch. I said I'd wait for the MS showcase to decide and what they showed today, despite all the concern trolling here today, solidified my pre-order:

• GamePass: I can't afford to buy a bunch of launch games, so having all of the first party stuff and the third party games shown in the presentation part of GamePass is HUGE. All I need at launch is the system and I can play new stuff.
  • The Games: I don't care about the memes trolls are making, I can't wait to play an open-world Halo at 60fps. Everwild looks amazing. Forza is my favorite driving series after the last few years, and the stuff further out is exciting like Avowed and Fable. Also really interested in The Medium as that dual rendering idea looks to be an interesting use for the SSD to swap between the worlds instantly.
  • 4K 60: Sure, the concern trolling now tells you that 60fps is overrated, but Halo running at 60fps and Forza being 4K 60 WITH Raytracing is huge. Maybe they can show UbiSoft a thing or two.
  • BC & Smart Delivery: I have a ton of 360 and some OG Xbox games already installed and I do play them all the time. Was playing Fight Night just last night. Being able to play ALL of those plus my Xbox One library on day 1 is huge.
Like I said, I'm obviously going to own a PS5 someday, maybe when a smaller revision comes out, but that solidified my pre-order. Now I just need to decide if I'm going to get it directly from MS or from Best Buy with store pickup.

All of these are available on the current XBox1. the only difference is power and there is more of that on PC.

one can say he is a fan of the brand, that is a legitimately reason, nothing wrong with that.

Amiga

Gamepass is a must have.

Xsx not at all.

Pc ps5 combo is the way to go.

And call me crazy but i have a feeling gamepass will be on all plattforms which will for sure destroy psnow.

Gamepass just cant be beat.

All Sony have to do is add a few day1 indies and that's it.

DJTHEGREY

The showcase helped solidify my future purchase but to be honest I had already decided on a Series X. I'm already invested in Gamepass. Everwild is the game I look forward to the most, however I think The Gunk looks like it will be interesting as well.
Can't wait to see more Of

- Medium
- CrossFireX
- State Of Decay 3
- HellBlade 2
- Avowed
- Psychonauts 2
- As Dusk Falls
- Stalker 2

Larvana

Gamepass is a must have.

Xsx not at all.

Pc ps5 combo is the way to go.

And call me crazy but i have a feeling gamepass will be on all plattforms which will for sure destroy psnow.

Gamepass just cant be beat.
Not happening, it won't be appearing on playstation at all, trust me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No doubt a no brainer, but I'm going to wait a tad to see what the Seagate SSD card is all about. If it looks like a 2 TB card is coming out, I'd rather wait than messing with a full internal SSD and a Seagate 1 TB card.

Can't believe all those games are on GP.

Heck, I'll even try Destiny 2 now since it's 60 fps.

Abear21

Banned
I guess they didnt run with Flight as they have already released tons of images and videos of the game running, and if they did include it they would have got smashed for having "old filler" put in to their stream.

Yeah that’s true, I just thought it was odd it wasn’t shown as it’s a graphical showcase title from Microsoft. I was hoping to play this at launch or get some news on release date for Xbox, looks like it’s a ways off still for consoles, if it even comes to this gen! Game looks insane.

Redlancet

Banned
I have buyed every ms console at launch, the original xbox, 360,360slim,xbox one, xbox one s, xbox x

This is the first one i wont get at launch, that speaks volumens

//DEVIL//

You're tripping if you think game pass doesn't have any value. Makes me think you're not genuine.
It does of course . But to who ? I am a person who like to own his games . It’s not like a netflix for me that I watch it once and that’s it . Hell even some movies I own because I love them .

games to me are games I want to own 100% . And in game pass , the only games I want from their day one is some of Microsoft games ( or let’s say all of them ) . Their other offering in most cases are old games that I already bought when they were released day one like destiny or devil may cry etc so to me it’s not worth it . How many high profile games Microsoft release per year ? 3 $ that’s 180$ Assuming you didn’t buy them and just brand new sealed . So either 100$ for me and rent these games plus try some random games that I’ll never play more than 10 mins or actually own the games I want for 180$. I honestly pick up the later , if anything . I can sell these games and get some money back and not forced to pay Microsoft a yearly sub to play the game every year.
Been playing destiny 2 since it came out till this day , imagine how much I’ll be paying if it’s on game pass for me . Or worse, the game leaves game pass like many games do . Lol I’ll be so fucked .

Vasto

:messenger_savoring:

Hellblade 2
Project Mora
Flight Simulator
Age Of Empires 4
Gears Tactics
The Medium
The Accent
Scorn
Call Of The Sea
Second Extinction
Bright Memory Infinite
Ori And The Will Of Wisp Enhanced
Halo Infinite
Everwild
Tell Me Why
Grounded
Crossfire X
Avowed
Fable
As Dusk Falls
State Of Decay 3
Forza Motorsport
Stalker 2
Warhammer Darktide
The Gunk
Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis

graywolf323

Gold Member
I mean I'll get one just because I have enough gift cards for Microsoft Store to afford one but aside from Halo 5 there wasn't anything that looks like it's going to be launch window that I really want to play

thanks to Game Pass sure I'll play quite a few of the games shown today but otherwise? ehhhh

I'm hopeful about Fable & Avowed at least though after The Outer Worlds I'm not as excited about Avowed as I might have otherwise been

It does of course . But to who ? I am a person who like to own his games . It’s not like a netflix for me that I watch it once and that’s it . Hell even some movies I own because I love them .

games to me are games I want to own 100% . And in game pass , the only games I want from their day one is some of Microsoft games ( or let’s say all of them ) . Their other offering in most cases are old games that I already bought when they were released day one like destiny or devil may cry etc so to me it’s not worth it . How many high profile games Microsoft release per year ? 3 $ that’s 180$ Assuming you didn’t buy them and just brand new sealed . So either 100$ for me and rent these games plus try some random games that I’ll never play more than 10 mins or actually own the games I want for 180$. I honestly pick up the later , if anything . I can sell these games and get some money back and not forced to pay Microsoft a yearly sub to play the game every year.
Been playing destiny 2 since it came out till this day , imagine how much I’ll be paying if it’s on game pass for me . Or worse, the game leaves game pass like many games do . Lol I’ll be so fucked .
Game pass allows my kids and I to try games we might not otherwise buy. There is the biggest value to me. Plus there are games on PC, Gear Tactics and Mechwarrior 5 come to mind, that are available on gamepass that are not xbox games. I don't understand the weird narrative on GAF that Game Pass is bad.

IDappa

I've owned gamepass for over a year or so now and it hasn't stopped me from purchasing the games I like/want, plus you get a discount if they're on gamepass. I've probably saved a few hundred dollars on titles I would of bought and played through once or ones I was interested in and hadn't bought yet and they turned out only a one playthrough type of experience.

I don't see your problem with it still but different strokes I guess.. you do you.

How many devices can you use Gamespass on simultaneously? I have a gaming PC, an Xbox one, an Xbox one S and plan on getting at series x. Can my kids and I use Gamespass all at once? (I also have 4 ps4s and plan on getting a ps5 for the console warrior crowd.)

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The show got me excited for the future of Xbox hands down. Halo...not so much.

The Alien

Banned
After 2 years of Gamepass you pay $300 and end up with owning nothing.
This may be true....but with GamePass, I play more than 5 games in 2 years.
(at $60 per game X 5 games = $300)

With GamePass, I play dozens of games in that timeframe. I also try out new games and genres I would never gamble my $60 on.

NT80

Most of those games shown today won't even hit XBX.
By the time the games that won't hit XBX come out (somewhere between 1 and 2 years later) Series X would probably be about due for a price drop. What's the compelling reason for getting a Series X on release when you already have an X and a good PC?

The only real value about Microsoft at this time is not the XseX but the GamePass. It's quite obvious that this is their trojan horse and they are betting that it will outlast the competition letting them manage the hardware in the future. All they have to be is a "platform" which will no doubt be a great source of revenue for MS in general.

On the other hand, this showcase shows what we've suspected all along. Their lack of First Party original exclusives is now weighing on them heavily. When console generation = dev x time²; the later they start up their studio setup, the more development baking period SONY has on its First party games, and they are lining up when you consider engine + technology + optimization.

If we learned anything in any generation, the games dictate the value of the console and if you can't get that anywhere except that particular platform, you can expect that console to dominate again next-gen regardless of the power of the cloud, accessibility and other secondary value.

Compsiox

Banned
All of these are available on the current XBox1. the only difference is power and there is more of that on PC.

one can say he is a fan of the brand, that is a legitimately reason, nothing wrong with that.
PC comes with a huge set of potential issues (if you want everything to perform consistently). It depends how much you care about perfection. You can't do anything about performance on consoles so you don't need to worry about it. Consoles also have the better value for your money.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Why do you care so much about graphics in case of Halo? This game was never pushing graphical fidelity since Halo 2.

An open world Halo is going to be great, I think. I can see myself playing this for hours and hours, with new content coming every few months
Halo 3 was impressive graphically and Halo 4 was a showpiece towards the end of last generation

Garnox

Neither company has instilled a lot of faith for me going forward. As far as being underwhelming I mean.

I dunno, maybe games just don't excite me as much as they used to. I've posted before about leaving the game arena. With today's showcase, maybe it's just becoming all the more real.

I've had a good run, but with possible increase in costs and just the lack of interest in what's being presented...its getting harder to be as invested IMO.

Ignore the ramblings of an old man.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I also love to own my games physical so Gamepass doesn't have a lot of value for me. I don't wanna waste money renting games

Doncabesa

I am interested to see if I can disconnect my 8TB Seagate XBox One HD and then plug it into the Series X And have my library available.
Yes, you can. Next-gen only work on the ssd but BC works on the External HDD and you can store next-gen on the external and copy over to play them so you don't have to re-download. Works the same on PS5 too.

Last edited:

BiotypE

Neo Member
I'm picking up both day one. Games will come for both as each prospective show has demonstrated. I'm excited. Just having faster load-times is worth the price of admission. All the other positives are just gravy on top.

Amiga

PC comes with a huge set of potential issues (if you want everything to perform consistently). It depends how much you care about perfection. You can't do anything about performance on consoles so you don't need to worry about it. Consoles also have the better value for your money.
PC "issues" is a myth , there are plug and play PCs. many price ranges. as for value for money that will be the PS5 for one year.

Top Bottom