• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's indie developer's still haven't got their September payments.

H1PSTER

The post in the OP mentions 64 and that they're 19 days over that. If that's incorrect then I apologize.

Regardless, I'm not making excuses for Microsoft. I'm just trying to piece together what happened. This problem only seems to have come to light at the end of October/early November with the issue being narrowed down and worked on in Early-Mid November which is why payments are delayed so much. It's still unacceptable but it lines up with what Charla said. Not seeing anything here that would make Microsoft look shady in their dealings.

The biggest takeaway from this is that the support for XBLIG is inadequate. Hopefully Microsoft has realized that now and does something to rectify the situation in the future.

Please... Learn basic math before you comment on other peoples opinions.

Though I will give it to you, the grammar isn't perfect.

developers still haven’t been paid meaning Microsoft is 64 days late on payment a full 19 days beyond the rather generous "Acceptable" delay period they gave themselves.

So that's 64 days since they were supposed to be paid.

And 19 days after their grace period

64 - 19 = 45

Please... Learn basic math before you comment on other peoples opinions.

Though I will give it to you, the grammar isn't perfect.

So that's 64 days since they were supposed to be paid.

And 19 days after their grace period

64 - 19 = 45

Well, my apologies then. I misread obviously.

Regardless, rest of what I said still holds up fine.

BokehKing

Banned
We've known about the issue and been working on a fix for a while - since sometime in November. This is not at all how we want to treat developers.
So if they have known since November, shouldn't... Like a memo gone out? What if that article was not written today?

A simple 'hey, flaw in the system, checks will be late' is better than being kept in the dark

H1PSTER

Well, my apologies then. I misread obviously.

Regardless, rest of what I said still holds up fine.

Other than the fact you seem to think this is a one off, it's not it's happened before.

Edit:

So if they have known since November, shouldn't... Like a memo gone out? What if that article was not written today?

A simple 'hey, flaw in the system, checks will be late' is better than being kept in the dark

So much THIS!

jsW82rm.gif
Wish we could pay you but ssssooorrryyy.

Other than the fact you seem to think this is a one off, it's not it's happened before.

Not really relevant to either my posts honestly.

I was talking about what we know about this situation currently and what's happening right now.

I'm not an indie dev. I'm not involved in the XBLIG program. And I'm not going to make assumptions based on what's happened in the past based on offhand comments. If you want to, that's fine.

H1PSTER

Not really relevant to either my posts honestly.

I was talking about what we know about this situation currently and what's happening right now.

I'm not an indie dev. I'm not involved in the XBLIG program. And I'm not going to make assumptions based on what's happened in the past based on offhand comments. If you want to, that's fine.

I'm not assuming anything, I'm merely pointing you towards the obvious facts of how they act when it comes to this system.

Exhibit one

Exhibit Two

Exhibit Three

Exhibit Four < This one is even a petition.

You can goto Exhibit 1 and 2, browse and forums and find quite a few threads on this issue mate.

Now I'm going to sleep, It's 2:30.

I'm not assuming anything, I'm merely pointing you towards the obvious facts of how they act when it comes to this system.

Exhibit one

Exhibit Two

Exhibit Three

Exhibit Four < This one is even a petition.

You can goto Exhibit 1 and 2, browse and forums and find quite a few threads on this issue mate.

Now I'm going to sleep, It's 2:30.

Wow! So this is just the tip of the iceberg. If it's happened this often, it's not a bug, it's policy.

Biker19

Banned
Yeah, they haven't paid us either.

This is becoming a real issue.

Makes us question ever returning to a Microsoft release again, I can tell you that.

We haven't gotten paid either. Unfortunately, this is nothing new for Microsoft - it feel like half the time they're late with XBLIG payments.

This is true, I have yet to get paid.

I mailed their services, and they assured me "it would be solved in the coming weeks", but I need that money now, not in months when they finally figured how to input my fucking account numbers in their system.

It's been a complete train-wreck ruled by crass incompetence. The contrast with Valve's handling of such matters is stark. The money should've been wired in fucking October, what a bloody joke.

Wow. I feel sorry for all of you that had to suffer throughout all of this. I hope that all of you demand Microsoft big compensation for it.

H1PSTER

I do try to update the OP, maybe I should have moved their responses to the top of that post which I will do now!

spekkeh

Banned
LOL technical issue that takes a further two weeks to solve.

Hey MS, here's how you solve that technical issue.

1. Call bank
2. Say I need to wire this amount to that account
3. Hang up
4. ???
5. Lose money!!!

LOL technical issue that takes a further two weeks to solve.

Hey MS, here's how you solve that technical issue.

1. Call bank
2. Say I need to wire this amount to that account
3. Hang up
4. ???
5. Lose money!!!

It's not that easy (this isn't in any way to excuse the issue).

spekkeh

Banned
It depends. Paying is more or less that easy, if they're in a hurry. Authorize someone from the financial department, put an intern on it, go. If they want to fix the automated system (e.g. set paydate -= 20 days, or set authorization at a lower level) it's probably a somewhat longer bureaucratic process, but then the message also kind of is 'we don't care, just that we got found out'.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So have the devs heard anything directly from MS and not just had to find the information on Twitter for themselves?

OnPoint

In case anyone was still curious, we got this update email from them today:

Dear XBLIG Partner,

We sincerely apologize that Q3 payments to partners were delayed. We are pleased to announce that all payments have been released by our vendor and should appear in developers’ accounts within the next few days. We sincerely apologize that this delay occurred and are taking steps to ensure that all future payments will be paid on time. If you were expecting funds, please review your dashboard and your payment and contact us at -**********@microsoft.com if there are any discrepancies.

We appreciate your patience and understanding & wish everyone a happy holiday!

Best regards,

The Xbox Live Indie Games payment team​

So it's now 73 days after the stated payment date [28 days after the 45 day grace period] and MS's language is still "within the next few days" I mean I'm positive payment will come in that time allotment but like after that wait I kind of expected MS to force it through and send out that type of message when it's already been sent.

how does such unprofessional shafting happened with such a big company like that. Don't they have a image to portray for all future indie devs that want to release titles on there platform? Microsoft seriously doesn't give a fuck about indie games or devs unless its as big time as minecraft and in that case they will just buy it.

OnPoint

Welcome to February. Where some devs still haven't been paid. Including us.

Here's the official forums for reference's sake.

We've been pretty patient, used the boards to communicate, tried emailing back and forth with them, but nothing of substance ever materializes and we're left with nothing but empty rhetoric.

I don't even know what to do at this point.

They have had 2 months to rectify this, normally they are pretty fast with the 180's.

Might have to take them to court at this rate.

We've been pretty patient, used the boards to communicate, tried emailing back and forth with them, but nothing of substance ever materializes and we're left with nothing but empty rhetoric.

God damn this is some BS...

I hope you are able to get your money and this isn't hindering you being able to make games.

OnPoint

What the fuck? So the PR shitstorm blew over and Microsoft just went straight back to not giving a shit?

To be fair, quite a lot of people did finally get paid. Whatever they did worked to some extent. But the bunch that are left behind are once again being mostly ignored.

God damn this is some BS...

I hope you are able to get your money and this isn't hindering you being able to make games.

It's making some things a bit harder than they need to be, but we're figuring out ways to overcome it. I'm thankful that so far we've been able to get around this, but I feel bad for anyone who was in need of what they rightfully earned.

Trojan

This is unacceptable that you've had to wait that long for payment. When you say "empty rhetoric", are they saying that payment is on the way or that they just don't know what the issue is?

It boggles my mind when payment issues take this long for major companies. In my job, if something isn't paid out on time, I prioritize that above all else. It's just the right thing to do.

Head.spawn

Charla, my man. I thought he was getting to the bottom of this? It's not even embarrassing anymore, it's just malicious at this point. If the forum isn't working as an avenue, then some people need to be fired for what amounts to being the easiest job out there.

"Oh, you made this much money.. I'm going to pay you that much money. Good day sir."

Off to twitter.

Top Bottom