• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's move to real cash hurts UK buyers, helps Canadian buyers

Omikaru

What's the conversion rate of people's MS Points compared to cash values?

For example, say I have 400msp on my XBL account. When 400msp games become £4.49, would I then get £4.49 for the 400 MSP on my account, or a lower value?

If I get lower, aren't MS practically taking money from British people?

Dunkers92

What's the conversion rate of people's MS Points compared to cash values?

For example, say I have 400msp on my XBL account. When 400msp games become £4.49, would I then get £4.49 for the 400 MSP on my account, or a lower value?

If I get lower, aren't MS practically taking money from British people?

Lower. The 1200 point downloads became £11.99 and my 1200 points converted to £10.20. Feel pretty robbed at this point

Yup. You could sometimes find sales on points cards. Now you won't be able to. It really sucks and I'm disappointed but the louder group won. :(
There's no difference between points cards and money cards, though.

So an 800 points card still has a real money value to it. It just happens to say 800 points on the front.

It still has a retail price. It still has a wholesale price and points still have a real money value in terms of how it defines what MS pays out to publishers for purchases.

A shift to real money changes nothing in that regard, only the ability to shaft you with increased pricing.

Oppo

People have literally been asking for this for years.
Well fucking done, are you pleased now? Don't say you weren't warned.

I thought victim blaming was frowned upon on GAF. ;)

Listen this is entirely Microsoft's self-inflicted problem.

- they created the MS Points system to obfuscate price levels and exchange levels, while also having control over bundled denominations (the "left over" points they could collect interest on)
- they failed to keep prices consistent over the lifespan of the 360 between different countries
- they obfuscated the "deals" you could get on so called discounted points by manipulating those points bundles; that was the reason they could offer the "deals" at all
- and now that they've switched back to Real World Money like every other service the obvious holes in the older scheme are revealed, even as they are corrected

The funny part is, UK buyers will be mad because stuff seems to cost more now, whereas Canadian buyers like myself will probably ruefulyl acknowledge that we are no longer being overcharged. Hardly a PR win.

edit - mangochutney up there gets it

JudgeB

Banned
And? Fuck that noise. If they want people to maintain an NDA, they shouldn't so stupid shit that effectively (in the short term at least and hopefully it is only short terms) screws an entire country.

You realize this makes no sense regarding an NDA right? Lol, I don't care what you guys do personally, but just saying, MS is known to drop the hammer on NDA breakers. It won't be me breaking any NDA though, I'll stick to the appropriate forums on Xbox.com to discuss it. I'm just trying to give you a heads up. The likelyhood of anything happening is slim, but like I said...just saying.

Personally, I live in the US and always buy my 4000MSP cards for $20. I've been making out like a bandit, so conversion won't hurt me a bit personally.

JudgeB

Banned
Make sure you make your voice heard in the appropriate forums for Xbox.com, they could end up using a better conversion rate depending on feedback...maybe...lol

Make sure you make your voice heard in the appropriate forums for Xbox.com, they could end up using a better conversion rate depending on feedback...maybe...lol

Too late now. Contracts have been signed, funds have been converted and Microsoft points has been deleted. This is the one thing that's set in stone.

Omikaru

One point is 0.85p, that's what they're converting at, within 1 or 2%

Apparently they are using the old conversion rate so £3.40
http://www.tmeyer.de/mspointsconverter.html

Lower. The 1200 point downloads became £11.99 and my 1200 points converted to £10.20. Feel pretty robbed at this point

Well fuck. Thanks for letting me know. I haven't been on Xbox for a while and I think I only have about £2.40 on my account, but I know some friends who are still invested in the ecosystem. I'll warn them.

JudgeB

Banned
Too late now. Contracts have been signed, funds have been converted and Microsoft points has been deleted. This is the one thing that's set in stone.

They can always credit points (dollars now) to your account. Not sure if they would, but it's a possibility.

Gowans

I just realised I forgot to buy the walking dead 400 days the other day. Tweeted Xbox support, lets see what happens

PaulLFC

On the new beta points are gone and everyone is pound value.

400 points (£3.40) games are now £4.49 - £1.09 / 32%Increase
800 points (£6.80) games are now £8.99 - £2.19 / 32% Increase
1200 points (£10.40) games are now £11.99 - £1.56 / 15% Increase
1600 points (£13.60) games are now at £14.99 - £1.39 / 10% Increase
That's absurd. Unless other prices are going up to match (even that is hardly justifiable) - what's their excuse for not being able to convert points to GBP properly? Incompetence, greed or both?

derfybzh

That's why I was avoiding buying from PSN , XBOX points were cheaper .

Now Live and PSN are on par for the worst ....

That's absurd. Unless other prices are going up to match (even that is hardly justifiable) - what's their excuse for not being able to convert points to GBP properly? Incompetence, greed or both?

Incompetence smothered in greed.

I guess they really don't care if they start losing ground in the UK. First the absurd One price and now they've seemingly screwed people on digital content pricing too.

I say seemingly as this is a beta, there's still time for them to look into this and change the conversion rate accordingly. I'm hopeful they'll at least look at it otherwise they've just completely fucked over their platform in the UK.

I've never witnessed a company actively go out of their way to fuck over a userbase as much as MS have these past few months. It's really quite amazing.

You guys wanted PSN-style prices, and now you have them.

Congrats, dickheads.

MS points were awesome.

So the logic from some people on this thread is that Microsoft got rid of the points scheme because people complained about them right ?

It has nothing to do with the fact people were getting free points and cheap points all over the place and Microsoft did the sums and realised they could do a really god screw job by ditching the points system and shoving in a price hike at the same time.

I mean come on here guys use your noggin. Which makes more sense Microsoft listened or Microsoft discovered they could screw the consumer more ?

Well the writing was on the wall when all the douchebags started whining about buying points and having 400 left over, OH MY GOD WHAT EVER WILL I BUY NEXT????
I'm just hoping this means developers may be able to price their games differently instead of having a blanket price to match the points value across formats.
Highly doubt it though.
I take it they are just matching the RRP of the points cards in the UK?

bidguy

Banned
i highly advise euro people to buy cheap points and let ms convert them.

ive got over 500€ on my account now and i only paid around 150€ for the points.

the euro conversions are really good.

Lima

Can anyone in the beta update still buy things from the uk marketplace website in points rather than pounds after the "conversion"? May be a way around it....

edit: from here https://live.xbox.com/en-GB/Home

No they take all the points from you. You could do it before the conversion.

i highly advise euro people to buy cheap points and let ms convert them.

ive got over 500€ on my account now and i only paid around 150€ for the points.

the euro conversions are really good.

This. Up to 350€ now.

Ugh. If MS really cared about the UK market it'll do something to rebalance this issue.

If they haven't sorted it by the end of the beta, they never will and it'll be time to call time on MS in the UK.

Hyperbole? I don't think so. £429, more expensive digital content, mandatory Kinect and generally not as appealing as the PS4 = DoA for the One.

HoodWinked

i dont even understand..

800 pts (£6.50-£6.99) - ms converted to £6.80

so the cash value of your points has been preserved.

then you have the games which are obviously not going to sell at weird random denominations of and the pricing is now matched with steam and psn.

complaints just seem ridiculous at this point. what exactly are people wanting?

Tumo

No they take all the points from you. You could do it before the conversion.

So I'm thinking you could:

1) be in the beta
2) not do the conversion (i.e. not click on anything in the marketplace and accept the conversion on the xbox)
3) still buy things from the website store as you'd still have your old points
4) enjoy the beta and your points until it's forced on everyone at a later date

Lima

So I'm thinking you could:

1) be in the beta
2) not do the conversion (i.e. not click on anything in the marketplace and accept the conversion on the xbox)
3) still buy things from the website store as you'd still have your old points
4) enjoy the beta and your points until it's forced on everyone at a later date

Yes that would work.

Shantom

i dont even understand..

800 pts (£6.50-£6.99) - ms converted to £6.80

so the cash value of your points has been preserved.

then you have the games which are obviously not going to sell at weird random denominations of and the pricing is now matched with steam and psn.

complaints just seem ridiculous at this point. what exactly are people wanting?

If I buy 800 points to buy a game that costs 800 points, I expect to be able to use the ~£7 to buy this game. What's so difficult to understand?

PSGames

Ugh. If MS really cared about the UK market it'll do something to rebalance this issue.

Honestly I see no problems with what they are doing. They are giving you retail value for the points you have. They just should have been charging more points for games in the first place which is what they are fixing.

Vashetti

Banned
I couldn't have put it better myself. Thanks, whiny cretins.

As said earlier, do you really think MS changed this because of people complaining?

No, they saw an opportunity to make more money.

I expect you're of the believe that they changed the DRM on the Xbox One because "your feedback matters".

No, it doesn't mean jack shit. The pre-orders were terrible so they went back on their awful policies that they were so happy to initially force on you.

Top Bottom