• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's new Xbox app for iOS features remote game streaming from console

pasterpl

Edgelord79

Gold Member

hopefully this means that we will see a full xCloud support on iOS soon

I wouldn't hold your breath, especially now that another major player (Amazon) has entered the space. More players to siphon from Apples games service. If anything, they will be even more protective of their services.

I’m surprised they didn’t have this before, Sony has been doing remote play on iOS for years.

It doesn’t mean anything about XCloud, these types of apps have pretty much been allowed on iOS since the App Store opened.

CAB_Life

I wouldn't hold your breath, especially now that another major player (Amazon) has entered the space. More players to siphon from Apples games service. If anything, they will be even more protective of their services.

Amazon’s service uses a web-browser interface that bypasses the App Store entirely. So I would expect Apple to suddenly be more accommodating, not less, or they invite others to follow in Amazon’s footsteps.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Amazon’s service uses a web-browser interface that bypasses the App Store entirely. So I would expect Apple to suddenly be more accommodating, not less, or they invite others to follow in Amazon’s footsteps.

Interesting. I never knew it was browser based and in that light, it makes sense that Apple will be more accommodating to Amazon. This is so silly for Apple customers though lol.

J-Roderton

Wicked. The original app is ass. I could see this being useful for sharing clips with my friends.

I’ve tried one cast though and trying to game on an iPhone 8 screen is just impossible for me. Too small.

Quasicat

Wicked. The original app is ass. I could see this being useful for sharing clips with my friends.

I’ve tried one cast though and trying to game on an iPhone 8 screen is just impossible for me. Too small.

I’ve used One Cast to play through the Telltale games, but Red Dead 2 just had such fine details that it was hard to see what was going on. I hope someone makes an IOS compatible controller that turns my phone into a Switch style device. The phone clip on the controller makes it feel too top heavy for my liking

J-Roderton

I’ve used One Cast to play through the Telltale games, but Red Dead 2 just had such fine details that it was hard to see what was going on. I hope someone makes an IOS compatible controller that turns my phone into a Switch style device. The phone clip on the controller makes it feel too top heavy for my liking

yeah same. It’s a little cumbersome. there is a product I saw reviewer that does sorta turn it into a switch style but like you said i think it’s android only.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Remote play is amazing under the right circumstances probably never use it though TVs are pretty good lol

Quasicat

yeah same. It’s a little cumbersome. there is a product I saw reviewer that does sorta turn it into a switch style but like you said i think it’s android only.
Now that we know the browser can get past Apple’s store policy, hopefully they can run GamePass through Edge and the demand will be there for other controller styles.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Been doing the remote play ony android with crash 3 and KH1. It works really well. For whatever reason when the stream first starts it takes like a minute to level out the connection but once it does I have had extremely little in terms of hiccups.

This might convince me to buy that razer grip.

One weird thing is that the screen doesn't actually go full screen. It fills the entire screen but the top of it still has my status bar and I can't get it to go away.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Been doing the remote play ony android with crash 3 and KH1. It works really well. For whatever reason when the stream first starts it takes like a minute to level out the connection but once it does I have had extremely little in terms of hiccups.

This might convince me to buy that razer grip.

One weird thing is that the screen doesn't actually go full screen. It fills the entire screen but the top of it still has my status bar and I can't get it to go away.
I use console streaming a good bit in the bedroom, I've been going back and forth on the razer controller as well. I have a clip for my X1X controller, but it seems so big when playing on mobile.

Unless Amazon goes on an advertising blitz to tell people to use Safari, this service will never take off on iOS. Even then, people will not want to game like that.

Pretty sure Xbox had remote play for awhile, but maybe not for phones.
It has. For years now. I played through Assassins Creed Syndicate using remote play and a surface tablet.
But this is different because it allows you to play over a cellular connection as well as locally.

MrS

Banned
Can't envisage a situation in which I'd ever want to play a AAA video game on a fucking iPhone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom