• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsofts revamped focus on localization will help them greatly next gen.

Microsoft has since end of 2016 revamped their localization teams, especially in Asia, along with improvements for Europe and Africa.

The Xbox One for most of its life post launch had initial hype but lack of localization was a big complaint among countries like S.Korea, Ghana, Kenya, Malaysia, Germany, etc.

Although most people downplay the important of this you can find many articles from local media, that really shows that only maybe in some countries in Europe, can you get away with no real localization and having only English voice acting, or as a band-aid, local subtitles. This was a big deal that greatly hurt Microsoft in many regions, especially for the ones it released late in. Some dominant Xbox countries like Ghana/Brazil were taken for granted due to the competition not really being around but you can notice the drop in sales over the years as MS coasted and basically tier 5'ed those regions.

Countries like Germany and other European countries have flipped more Sony since Xbox One localization has been worse than Xbox 360 localization, and of course Eastern Europe, which was expected to mostly go Xbox after the 360's success was basically flipped.

Now I know that a lot of this has to do with the original Xbox One vision, DRM, release in 13 countries that they could localize kinect with, do tier 2 countries later, than tier 345567. Issue is, once they turned the Xbox one around at launch, they basically still said screw it to quickly localizing and trying to release in tier 2 faster. Of course the old admin was still in effect at that time for team Xbox.

Now since 2016 Phil and his team have been improving localization, and I think this will be a REALLY important part of next gen, especially for growing markets, among larger markets that MS originally put on the side at the start of this gen due to the Mattrick plans. Of course features and games will also big big, but we shouldn't downplay the effects of localization, especially since Sony showed it can help compliment other factors.

What do you think? Are you from another region and have seen the complaints/effects of MS's lack of effort in localization the first few years of the Xbox One's life?

PocoJoe

Banned
Yeah I guess germany/france and many other places need this because they cant speak english?

What i have heard, they dub almost everything on tv = no need to learn english.

Here at Finland everything/99% is not dubbed and we have subtitles for movies, so hearing english is normal to us from a baby.

Many use apps/electronics with english menus because it is usually better than bad translations.

Too sad that some countries are too stubborn to use subtitles and leave original voice track on.

Top Bottom