• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Microsoft's silence at CES could be the start of a tough year for the Xbox.'

Quazar

harSon said:
1up yours mentioned some form of a Microsoft presence on this weeks 1up yours and Microsoft's lot size on the show floor seems solidify that. It's not confirmed that it's a megaton, but it's likely that we receive some announcements at or around GDC.

And Geoff from Spike TV said we'll be getting some exciting announcements in next couple months. So I'm guessing GDC.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
abacab driver said:
Any confirmation on this happening, or is this just some situation fanboys created in their minds to gear themselves up to be dissapointed if no 360 megatons are dropped at GDC.

1up said that stuff was coming for GDC and I think Major Nelson talked about GDC being interesting this year.

onemic said:
Another xbot to act as the MS defense force.

For the record, I want Sony to do well, so we have more of a Genesis and SNES situation between the 360 and PS3. I like the 360, but a Microsoft future is somewhere I don't want to be. I genuinely felt the article was biased. It reads like it itself, is trying to influence the console war. Reminds me of the Sony press of last year.

GhaleonEB

davepoobond said:
maybe they thought they won already since they were the first to ship 10 million and they assumed that 3rd parties would just carry it the rest of way like they had a huge influence with on the PS2
They didn't get the price down, though; I think they kind of forgot about that part. The PS2 hit $200 in mid-2002 and has dropped all of $70 since then. The 360 needs to shed at least another $50 accross the board and more like $100 on the main SKUs to really take off this year.

Onemic

Ghost Leviathan said:
For the record, I want Sony to do well, so we have more of a Genesis and SNES situation between the 360 and PS3. I like the 360, but a Microsoft future is somewhere I don't want to be. I genuinely felt the article was biased. It reads like it itself, is trying to influence the console war. Reminds me of the Sony press of last year.

Okay, so tell me one thing in there that was wrong or highly skewed towards sony?

onemic said:
Okay, so tell me one thing in there that was wrong or highly skewed towards sony?

It was 800 odd words of uncalled upon damning of the 360, based on them not megatoning CES. "they're quiet" because the "360 is in trouble" is female logic, as in, not logical.

In other words: sounds like a girl wrote it.

indie85

Banned
Ghost Leviathan said:
It was 800 odd words of uncalled upon damning of the 360, based on them not megatoning CES. "they're quiet" because the "360 is in trouble" is female logic, as in, not logical.
CES had hardly anything to do with it, 99% of the article was based on issues i think the MAJORITY of gaf shares and agrees with.

DrGAKMAN said:
Doesn't apply YET, the XB userbase will start capping off, Sony will surpasses them worldwide and their featureset will not fit the HiDef market...they'll want to "start over" and get a "head start" again, you'll see.
...and you've just shown that you have no idea why they pulled out. Here's a hint, it had very little to do with coming second (and was part of the reason they lost so much money).

GhaleonEB

Ghost Leviathan said:

How old are you?

So let me get this strait. After one predictive "article" we are suddenly counting all the bad press that 360 has accumulated? Predicting it's failure.

The "article" was about CES. Only dillusional people predicted gaming news. There was never any evidence of a new SKU from MS. In fact, GAF were damning them if they had. They did not and we still spin it negatively.

The only Sony gaming news was a OLD demo of MGS. Nothing new there either. Blu=ray won the format wars, but I fail to see that change the tide of the so called console war.

Lets take the 3 negative PR issues for MS. No next gen format! Release a stand'alone blu-ray player and price it very competively. Choice, and I agree with MS there for once

Secondly, RROD. They admitted they were issues and made everyone happy by extending the warranty to three years

Live outages. Has been rock solid for five years and they have some issues for two weeks and we predict it will be a pilar for their downfall. Sound like bullshit to me.

Moving on to games. Visit the 2008 360 release thread and you will see that while it may not be AS good as Sony's, it will not be a rollover and die case. Especially considering that MS has acknowleged unannouced titles.

You know, I think this tread is just Sony fans lashing out while high on positive news for Sony (Resistance 2, BluRay, cost reduction). The ignorance of GAF still upsets me though :)

Fredescu

fi3rypho3nix said:
The "article" was about CES. Only dillusional people predicted gaming news.
Not really. The headline was about CES. The article was about all of Microsoft's other problems, and was more or less accurate apart from making an issue about the shipping numbers. Sony presented gaming news and Microsoft didn't.

WinFonda

davepoobond said:
maybe they thought they won already since they were the first to ship 10 million and they assumed that 3rd parties would just carry it the rest of way like they had a huge influence with on the PS2
A story of three kids, and a race they had one day after school.

First, a short introduction:

Sony is a popular kid at school, somewhat athletic, although often viewed as a clutz. He's considered a genius in math and science, to which he owes a great deal of his popularity. He's sometimes viewed and disliked as an egomaniac, but some kids say it's the pressure his parents put on him all the time.

Nintendo is a trendy, popular student and very athletic. He's won numerous sports medals. Many girls like him and many younger kids look up to him. He's not known for being brainy, but he's a practical kid with a lot of heart.

Microsoft is also popular, especially among his clique. He has fared well in some sports he's tried out for, but it never really stuck with him. He has a hot temper and is known for blowing up in class. Despite all this, he's quite smart and is known for pulling in good grades.

Now, onto our story.

Sony and Nintendo stand idly in a barren football field as they chat about their day at school.

"Hey guys, how about a race?" said a voice from behind.

Sony and Nintendo recognize the voice, but turn around to acknowledge and greet the speaker.

Nintendo says, "Hey Microsoft, whats up?

"I've been practicing for the track team and need a race. Just some friendly competition to warm up," Microsoft replies.

To which Sony responds, "Sure, what are we racing to?"

Microsoft points in the distance, "You see that goal post over there? Whoever gets there the fastest wins."

Sony readies his stance, "Okay. LET'S GO. ON YOUR MARK....."

Microsoft quickly intervenes with a chuckle, "Now wait you guys. I'm gonna go first. I'll time you two after I've finished my run. This is the best way to do it."

Nintendo lets out a disappointed sigh, "Ah... well... okay. If you say so, boss."

Microsoft readies his stance

"Here I go boys, watch me fly" he says confidently.

Microsoft quickly dashes for the goal post.

A moment passes before Nintendo turns to Sony, "Hey, Sony. If he's suppose to be timing our runs, shouldn't we be timing his?"

Sony looks confused as he watches Microsoft continue down the field.

Sony shifts his head back to Nintendo, "Good point."

"Yeah, it is a good point," Nintendo quips.

Nintendo sprints down the field after Microsoft.

Sony, still confused, contemplates for a moment before shouting at Microsoft to come back.

"HEY, MICROSOFT... BUDDY!" he yells at the top his lungs.

"WE NEED YA TO COME BACK SO WE CAN TIME YOU!" he shouts out across the field.

Coming to the realization his words did not carry so well across the windy field, Sony readies his stance and starts to run.

Back on the field, Microsoft continues his sprint for the goal post, beginning to close in on it.

Microsoft hears an approaching thundering of footsteps from behind as he looks back to see Nintendo had nearly all but made up a 10 second deficit.

His eyes fixated on the goal post, Microsoft yells out "HEY NINTENDO! I TOLD YOU THE RULES, DIDN'T I?

Nintendo responds with a quick shout "We didn't have a watch to time you!"

Microsoft edges closer and closer to the goal post, "So what, you just thought you'd come try and catch me... beat me?"

Nintendo gains more ground on Microsoft, his legs starting to wobble.

Nintendo hits back, "Well... yeah... pretty much."

Microsoft grins with confidence, "HEY NINTENDO!"

Nintendo quickly belts out, "WHAT?"

"YOU."

Microsoft extends his arm to catch the goal post.

"CAN'T"

His fingers waving in the air, he can nearly feel it.

"BEAT ME!"

His arm catches the goal post as he crosses the finishing line, spinning himself around.

Nintendo nearly trips from the momentum as he follows Microsoft past the goal post.

Microsoft laughs out, "HAHA! YES!"

Nintendo is completely out of breath, he bends over holding his knees.

"Phew! That was a good race. I haven't felt alive like that in a long time." Microsoft admits.

"You're a fast runner, Nintendo. I don't think I would have won if--"

Nintendo quickly interrupts, "How did you win? I clearly got here faster than you did."

Microsoft smirks, "Well, you remember the rules. Whoever gets here the fastest wins."

"That would be me." Nintendo replies.

"Oh yeah? Prove it." says Microsoft. "I got here first, even Sony saw it..."

"Sony knows you had a head start, he knows I got here faster than you did." Nintendo says as his voice angers in tone.

"Well let's just ask Sony then, shall we?" says a smug Microsoft.

Nintendo and Microsoft peer down the open field, not a single person in sight.

"Where is he anyway?" says a puzzled Nintendo.

A voice rings out from the far right of the goal post "GUYS! HEY GUYS!!!"

They both quickly cock their heads to the side, bewildered as to why Sony would be over on the wrong side of the field.

Sony's arms flail in the wind as he shouts out to them, "I GOT IT!!! I GOT IT!!!"

Sony approaches the goal post.

Microsoft quizzes him, "Where have you been? We needed you. We've had a dispute."

Sony beams out with a smile, "I ran inside for a stop watch! Who's ready to race!?"

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Psychotext said:
...and you've just shown that you have no idea why they pulled out. Here's a hint, it had very little to do with coming second (and was part of the reason they lost so much money).

See how I put quotation marks around "headstart" and "start over"...it's 'cos that's what they said...I know there were other underlying reasons for what they did what they did, I'm not blind. Plus, you're speaking in past terms and I'm speaking in future terms (making a prediction) slightly based on their history of brickwalling (and not just in this market).

Seriously, what happens if/when Sony starts to close in better future-wise features already standArd (sorry) AND MS's bad press (XBL & hardware troubles) catches up to them AND their "core" userbase starts to cap off in light of everything? MS will likely start talking about X720 then and it'll be met with a cold reception which is what I'm predicting...the perfect set-up for the 3RD console curse!

I agree the hardware sales are going to be down, but software should continue to be very high. The amount of games 360 owners buy is well documented.

Onemic

Ghost Leviathan said:

No it sounds like you're attacking the article for no reason. I'm really beginning to wonder if you would have acted this way if it was toward another console. I mean they're not damning them or anything, they're just saying it might be tough for them this year and yet you're acting as if the article has basically condemned MS and the 360 to hell.

BTW WTF is up with this girl logic?

FightyF

Banned
natureman3 said:
Didn't know that.
Does it mean that if a dev wants to take advantage of it, they basically need to have 2 versions of code, one with, one without ?

One version of the code with an if/then or switch statement.

WinFonda said:
A story of three kids, and a race they had one day after school.

First, a short introduction:

Sony is a popular kid at school, somewhat athletic, although often viewed as a clutz. He's considered a genius in math and science, to which he owes a great deal of his popularity. He's sometimes viewed and disliked as an egomaniac, but some kids say it's the pressure his parents put on him all the time.

Nintendo is a trendy, popular student and very athletic. He's won numerous sports medals. Many girls like him and many younger kids look up to him. He's not known for being brainy, but he's a practical kid with a lot of heart.

Microsoft is also popular, especially among his clique. He has fared well in some sports he's tried out for, but it never really stuck with him. He has a hot temper and is known for blowing up in class. Despite all this, he's quite smart and is known for pulling in good grades.

Now, onto our story.

Sony and Nintendo stand idly in a barren football field as they chat about their day at school.

"Hey guys, how about a race?" said a voice from behind.

Sony and Nintendo recognize the voice, but turn around to acknowledge and greet the speaker.

Nintendo says, "Hey Microsoft, whats up?

"I've been practicing for the track team and need a race. Just some friendly competition to warm up," Microsoft replies.

To which Sony responds, "Sure, what are we racing to?"

Microsoft points in the distance, "You see that goal post over there? Whoever gets there the fastest wins."

Sony readies his stance, "Okay. LET'S GO. ON YOUR MARK....."

Microsoft quickly intervenes with a chuckle, "Now wait you guys. I'm gonna go first. I'll time you two after I've finished my run. This is the best way to do it."

Nintendo lets out a disappointed sigh, "Ah... well... okay. If you say so, boss."

Microsoft readies his stance

"Here I go boys, watch me fly" he says confidently.

Microsoft quickly dashes for the goal post.

A moment passes before Nintendo turns to Sony, "Hey, Sony. If he's suppose to be timing our runs, shouldn't we be timing his?"

Sony looks confused as he watches Microsoft continue down the field.

Sony shifts his head back to Nintendo, "Good point."

Nintendo quips, "Yeah, it is a good point.

Nintendo sprints down the field after Microsoft.

Sony, still confused, contemplates for a moment before shouting at Microsoft to come back.

"HEY, MICROSOFT... BUDDY!" he yells at the top his lungs.

"WE NEED YA TO COME BACK SO WE CAN TIME YOU!" he shouts out across the field.

Coming to the realization his words did not carry so well across the windy field, Sony readies his stance and starts to run.

Back on the field, Microsoft continues his sprint for the goal post, beginning to close in on it.

Microsoft hears an approaching thundering of footsteps from behind as he looks back to see Nintendo had nearly all but made up a 10 second deficit.

His eyes fixated on the goal post, Microsoft yells out "HEY! NINTENDO! I TOLD YOU THE RULES, DIDN'T I?

Nintendo responds with a quick shout "We didn't have a watch to time you!"

Microsoft edges closer and closer to the goal post, "So what, you just thought you'd come try and catch me... beat me?"

Nintendo gains more ground on Microsoft, his legs starting to wobble.

Nintendo hits back, "Well... yeah... pretty much."

Microsoft grins with confidence, "HEY NINTENDO!"

Nintendo quickly belts out, "WHAT?"

"YOU."

Microsoft extends his arm to catch the goal post.

"CAN'T"

His fingers waving in the air, he can nearly feel it.

"BEAT ME!"

His arm catches the goal post as he crosses the finishing line, spinning himself around.

Nintendo nearly trips from the momentum as he follows Microsoft past the goal post.

Microsoft laughs out, "HAHA! YES!"

Nintendo is completely out of breath, he bends over holding his knees.

"Phew! That was a good race. I haven't felt alive like that in a long time." Microsoft admits.

"You're a fast runner, Nintendo. I don't think I would have won if--"

Nintendo quickly interrupts, "How did you win? I clearly got here faster than you did."

Microsoft smirks, "Well, you remember the rules. Whoever gets here the fastest wins."

"That would be me." Nintendo replies.

"Oh yeah? Prove it." says Microsoft. "I got here first, even Sony saw it..."

"Sony knows you had a head start, he knows I got here faster than you did." Nintendo says as his voice angers in tone.

"Well let's just ask Sony then, shall we?" says a smug Microsoft.

Nintendo and Microsoft peer down the open field, not a single person in sight.

"Where is he anyway?" says a puzzled Nintendo.

A voice rings out from the far right of the goal post "GUYS! HEY GUYS!!!"

They both quickly cock their heads to the side, bewildered as to why Sony would be over on the wrong side of the field.

Sony's arms flail in the wind as he shouts out to them, "I GOT IT!!! I GOT IT!!!"

Sony approaches the goal post.

Microsoft quizzes him, "Where have you been? We needed you. We've had a dispute."

Sony beams out with a smile, "I ran inside for a stop watch! Who's ready to race!?"

holy shit:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

console wars explained in less than 5 minutes.

pure gold

DrGAKMAN

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
I agree the hardware sales are going to be down, but software should continue to be very high. The amount of games 360 owners buy is well documented.

Good point. But there's only so many "guns & cars" (oh God, what have we done?) that can be made/sold.

Xisiqomelir

I have my own doubts about the 360 in '08, but decibels at CES have absolutely 0 correlation with industry success; if they did Nintendo would be finished.

squicken

davepoobond said:
i dont really get the story other than the fact that Sony isn't in the first race?

or something?

It's like one of those 3D stereograms. You have to unfocus your mind to see the meaning.

Onemic

davepoobond said:
i dont really get the story other than the fact that Sony isn't in the first race?

or something?

MS got a head start and nintendo has pretty much caught up and beat them, while sony is way behind as they haven't even reacted to the success of th 360 and wii.(Although I would say that they now have)

Top Bottom