• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wonder what the state of the current(old) gen is ... if it really just a marketing decision to delay it to Nov or if there's actual technical reasons behind it. Game looks ambitious as fuck even without factoring in the Nemesis system ..

which may or may not be available on PS3/360 at all.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Wonder what the state of the current(old) gen is ... if it really just a marketing decision to delay it to Nov or if there's actual technical reasons behind it. Game looks ambitious as fuck even without factoring in the Nemesis system ..

Last gen ;)

And I'd be surprised if nemesis is missing as thats their big feature. It may be a watered down version though.

BouncyFrag

I'm also curious to see how the game runs on the old consoles along with Dragon Age: Inquisition. The sooner we get out of this cross-gen phase the better. It does feel like we are about to hit the begging of the end of it.

Kaversmed

I have one question.

If someone doesn't want to do fights via the nemesis system and just wants to brawl their way through the game, is this possible? I like the combat, but im not all interested in the RTS element.

I just wanna fuck motherfuckers up.

I totally get what you mean, I too want to fuck 'em all up, but I'm pretty sure you wont be able to ignore the nemesis system when you get a bit into it. So far it seems you won't be able to just brawl your way through the warchiefs, simply because they are too strong, or they have their bodyguards around them - this is where you need to deal with the nemesis system. Call it strategic brawling if you want ;)

ldcommando

Banned
The pc performance thread for this game is going to be a riot.
I wonder how many posts it will take to get to the obligatory "this is such a bad port" post.

The devs have said the nemesis system has been toned down for old gen.

To what extent? Did they explain this?

“We’re very focused on the PS4 and Xbox One,” de Plater said. “We’re focusing on the next-gen platforms, and then going to do whatever we can to get as much as possible on current-gen.

“To break it down, some of the stuff we’re pretty confident will still be very similar on current gen: the core mechanics, like combat, stealth, ranged and movements; the basic control and gameplay, that should all be really solid. What it won’t have is the same level of depth and variety and simulation within the Nemesis system.

“The story will be the same and the core gameplay will be the same, but the Nemesis system is just so huge in terms of content, calculations and AI we’ll just have to try and get as much of it in as we can.”

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/20/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordors-nemesis-system-cut-back-on-ps3-xbox-360/

Grief.exe

k38xeSE.png

uhh.huh.....

PS4 it is.

I wouldn't put too much stock into this. No patch available, no targeted driver updates, there could be some minor issues causing problems on his specific set up.

pilferk

Neo Member
I thought this game had pre-load? Expected pre-load time is...like an hour and half ago but now the timer is for the release date on my PS4.

edit: I see the time is for when it is playable...so how do i know its pre-loading/downloading? as you can tell its my first time...

The other day, the countdown was to preload ( last night at midnight). Now it's to launch. But I don't see any sign of the preload having taken place on my ps4. Not listed in storage, system was in standby all night, and it's still set to auto dl on the product details page. Different than with destiny. At this point, no idea what's going on,and can't find any one talking about it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Thanks. They're not being very specific about it, though. Getting this for PS4 but was just curious to see what cut backs the last get would get.

He is not specific because the PS360 versions aren't developed in-house. Monolith is only doing the PS4/PC/Xbone versions.

Kaversmed

He is not specific because the PS360 versions aren't developed in-house. Monolith is only doing the PS4/PC/Xbone versions.

Sure, but if I were a PS360 only owner I would love to know what those cut backs are specifically, especially because they seem to impact the gameplay quite a bit.

Dawg

I have one question.

If someone doesn't want to do fights via the nemesis system and just wants to brawl their way through the game, is this possible? I like the combat, but im not all interested in the RTS element.

I just wanna fuck motherfuckers up.

There's no RTS element.

Brawling your way through the game is how the nemesis system works :p Sure, you can target specific commanders via the nemesis system so they show up on your map, but you can just explore the world and find them randomly.

Oh yeah, I like the way this game punishes you for dying. I'm sure everyone knows the orc that kills you gets promoted. They either gain power or, if they're just some random orc, they turn into a captain, chieftain or whatever. Thing is, I've noticed multiple orcs gain power when you die. Not just the one that killed you. Usually this means two or three of them gain power and a new orc joins their ranks. The orc that joins the ranks doesn't have to be the orc that killed you. Can just be a hidden orc as well.

This means you actually feel the forces of Sauran grow in strength every time you die. It has an impact on the ongoing war. If you die too much without actually killing their commanders, they'll have a full army in no time again. If you kill four of them and then die, they might get two new commanders. So you only thinned their ranks by two commanders. I try to avoid death as much as possible because of this. I really want to murder all of them and see what happens. I've seen hidden commanders behind the 30 or so guys you have to kill. Maybe they're ultra elite or something? :p Not sure, I'm still playing through the game as we speak.

Random encounters are great as well. This random troll attacked me earlier in the game and I was sure I would die. One attack from him and I'd lose 50% of my hp. I decided to run away and that's when I saw a pack of caragors attack him. They didn't really do much damage and I was sure the troll would kill them. But then... one of the caragor jumped him using some special animation and the troll fell on the ground. It looked like the caragor bit him or something, because he instantly died.

I then jumped on that caragor (you can mount them if you unlock a certain move) and killed the others. Ran away with him... deeper into Mordor. Off to see more adventures! :p

[NaK];131862797 said:
Im honestly not sure. It runs very smooth though, and I've only experienced some minor slow down 2-3 times in 7 hours, all during wraith interrigations.

I just have to share this aswell.

After 10+ deaths against the same fucking enemy, I finally managed to kill him today. The fucker was immune to most of my attacks and always had a pack of orcs with him whenever I met him. I've met him several times since the start of the game and never managed to kill him.
I've honestly never held such a grudge against a video game character before. He has leveled from 5 to 20 and caused me so much problems.
I spent 3 hours this afternoon, killing off his captains and leveling up, just to be absolutely butchered when I gathered the courage to attack him again,

Then I interrogated an informer and learned that he fears Caragors (the bear/hound things) and that he's susceptible to stealth kills.
So I tamed a beast and let it loose inside his camp after tracking him there, watched as he fled, and followed him at a distance.
When he was alone on a cliff, I snuck up behind him and slit his throat.

God daaaaaaamn, it felt so good.
I love the nemisis system.

Dear God.

This sounds amazing.

zkorejo

All these impressions of the game are making me too excited.

Nemesis system is turning out to be better than I ever expected.

I am looking forward to it.

Also, are there any streams going on right now?..

UnrealEck

The pc performance thread for this game is going to be a riot.
I wonder how many posts it will take to get to the obligatory "this is such a bad port" post.

Depends on how long it takes for someone with a 2 or 3GB graphics card to try to run the game with the texture pack.

I wouldn't put too much stock into this. No patch available, no targeted driver updates, there could be some minor issues causing problems on his specific set up.

Plus he's from IGN.
I take IGN's PC coverage with a punch of salt.

[NaK];131862797 said:
Im honestly not sure. It runs very smooth though, and I've only experienced some minor slow down 2-3 times in 7 hours, all during wraith interrigations.

I just have to share this aswell.

After 10+ deaths against the same fucking enemy, I finally managed to kill him today. The fucker was immune to most of my attacks and always had a pack of orcs with him whenever I met him. I've met him several times since the start of the game and never managed to kill him.
I've honestly never held such a grudge against a video game character before. He has leveled from 5 to 20 and caused me so much problems.
I spent 3 hours this afternoon, killing off his captains and leveling up, just to be absolutely butchered when I gathered the courage to attack him again,

Then I interrogated an informer and learned that he fears Caragors (the bear/hound things) and that he's susceptible to stealth kills.
So I tamed a beast and let it loose inside his camp after tracking him there, watched as he fled, and followed him at a distance.
When he was alone on a cliff, I snuck up behind him and slit his throat.

God daaaaaaamn, it felt so good.
I love the nemisis system.
My god...truly hyped lol. This sounds amazing

GameTrailers just played series

Shadow of Mordor

an interesting video, 2 guys sharing their opinions about the game and they are very different, specially about the difficulty level, a good watch for those interested

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/etavn9/middle-earth--shadow-of-mordor-shadow-of-mordor

This was a great watch.

One of my main concerns is the combat depth and difficulty. Also the video confirms NO options for higher difficulty levels :( Thats a shame.

As a fan of both the books, films, and many of the other Tolkien interpretations it's been too long since there's been such a positive buzz over a Middle-earth game. This is the first game I've digitally pre-ordered, and knowing it's all set up and ready on my PC is making the wait so much harder.

I wasn't planning on buying this as soon as it came out, but all these high scores and tweets I've been seeing have me hyped. Plus, Troy Baker and Nolan North doing performance capture together is something I need to experience.

whoaduh

GameTrailers just played series

Shadow of Mordor

an interesting video, 2 guys sharing their opinions about the game and they are very different, specially about the difficulty level, a good watch for those interested

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/etavn9/middle-earth--shadow-of-mordor-shadow-of-mordor

Well, they both agree the game is really good and that they both enjoy it. It's just that Huber has found the difficulty too easy which they talked about the most. Brandon either never noticed or it seemed more like he just isn't as good at it as Huber is so the difficulty didn't bother him. But throughout, Huber kept trying to reiterate that he loves the game still.

Top Bottom