• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

xBladeM6x

So, how do you kill that which takes no damage?

He takes no damage from stealth, ranged, or melee.

I'm thinking the only chance I have is if I ride up on a Caragor or get some wild beast to do my work for me.

This one is going to take a bit of planning on my part :lol

You're lucky he has that kind of fear. Bring a Caragor with you, he'll get scared, you should be able to grab him, and shank the fucker.

I avenged your wrongful death Boddhi, I was able to take out the dude out via a vengeance mission.

And I also finally killed that bastard Doshrat the Meat Hoarder, me and him went back and forth like 7 or 8 times, he killed me I killed him etc, and then I was on my way to a mission and out of nowhere there he was, all alone at a campsite and he starts shit talking per usual about the scars I gave him, so I said alright let's end this now and fought him and finally took his damn head off, he won't be troubling me anymore.

This game is just amazing. Better story telling through the nemesis system than through the games actual story.

Kaversmed

Just a question from someone who doesn't have the game yet:

How do you decapitate an orc who is invulnerable to melee combat? I mean, the only way to make sure they don't come back, is to separate their heads from their torsos, right. So how the hell do you do that without getting close to the bastards?

No one on how to permanently kill a captain?

not something you can entirely control. You have to get them low enough in health where the finisher (special attack with glowing sword/8x combo) can actually kill them. And even then you have to hope that it's a decapitation.

I swear I had one orc that before I killed him he got on his knees and started talking to me about how I should keep a little bit of his blood with me so I could always remember him.Then it gave me the option to decapitate him or something else.

Just a question from someone who doesn't have the game yet:

How do you decapitate an orc who is invulnerable to melee combat? I mean, the only way to make sure they don't come back, is to separate their heads from their torsos, right. So how the hell do you do that without getting close to the bastards?
I know there is a skill that explodes their head on a flurry kill. I think this also happens if you dominate them and choose Kill or after gaining intel from them.

Kaversmed

not something you can entirely control. You have to get them low enough in health where the finisher (special attack with glowing sword/8x combo) can actually kill them. And even then you have to hope that it's a decapitation.

That sounds a bit frustrating tbh. Are anyone finding this mildly annoying or what?

That sounds a bit frustrating tbh. Are anyone finding this mildly annoying or what?

Actually adds a bit of cool depth to the nemesis system when a previously defeated enemy shows back up. They won't always show up again.

Also I just mentioned it. But can somebody tell me how to do/what it's called when you beat on a captain enough to the point they get on their knees, the camera zooms in on them and they tell you their final words before you can choose to decapitate them by pressing a button?

Uhhhhhh..... help?

15413596022_8679008f12_o.jpg

That's nothing, try taking on a Warchief in the middle of a stronghold. Shit gets ridiculous.

''I've been avenging korriban 3 times in a row, killing the same urk everytime , nazdug the whisperer lol

Also if someones avenge me pls let me know :D

That's nothing, try taking on a Warchief in the middle of a stronghold. Shit gets ridiculous.

I haven't played enough to examine which rank they are, but I swear every time I go to fight a "leader" by the time the fight is done there are three other's in the combat as well as about 20 other creatures.

Yet with all of that, my health is always at 100% until the archers and spear-throwers show up and then I go from 100-0 in about .5 seconds.

Kaversmed

Actually adds a bit of cool depth to the nemesis system when a previously defeated enemy shows back up. They won't always show up again.

I see, but I would think that you'd go "ahh damn, not again" every time you see Talion not doing decapitations, but it's actually cool that they can die for real without decapitating them still.

I see, but I would think that you'd go "ahh damn, not again" every time you see Talion not doing decapitations, but it's actually cool that they can die for real without decapitating them still.

Yeah you can 'defeat' captains in many ways. You can only guarantee a kill if their head flies off though. Other methods kill most of captains but there might be a couple of captains whose hate for you is so big they won't fucking die until you defeat them like way more times. I see it as a chance of death percentage that these specific ones have a small chance on unless you decapitate them.

I've had two nemeses die already after defeating them 3-4 times though.

I went from not having much fun in the game yesterday and dreading fights to being hooked today. Everything just clicked. Good stuff.

That's always a great feeling when you get a new game and after an hour or two thinking 'I made a huge mistake' and then it just CLICKS all of a sudden

JCizzle

Fought a spear using captain earlier with five spear underling bros... i got slaughtered. Kinda sucks there is no way to avoid that shit (at least that i've noticed in my limited time playing).

Fought a spear using captain earlier with five spear underling bros... i got slaughtered. Kinda sucks there is no way to avoid that shit (at least that i've noticed in my limited time playing).

you can dodge like a motherfucker. Or kill as many of them with headshots beforehand. then focus on killing the underlings.

Slixshot

Banned

When you first meet spear throwing bros, a little tutorial tells you that you gotta roll (double tap x). Dunno if that's gonna work against 5 guys though lol.

I still haven't fought a Warchief just yet. Sadly, a fight like the one in my screenshot still wouldn't be a problem with how easy the combat is in this game.

try reaching the point you're surrounded by spear, shield, bowmen and regular enemies. Shield enemies are especially frustrating because they do attacks you HAVE to dodge so in a sea of regular orcs they'll get you.

-Deimos

He is the coolest most baddest ass in the history of badasses, I love his voice! SHIT Just give me a game with Celebrimbor.

It never gets old seeing him pop out when you try to Dominate someone, and hearing his dialogue.

Talion is really cool too, in fact I feel pretty attached to him and Celebrimbor it reminds me a lot of how good the Characterization was in RDR, this is basically RDR light with a bit of mystery since some minor tidbits of his past is also locked away seemingly in some of the collectibles.

There just a lot to love about this game, and I appreciate the challenge of the combat and hell dying can actually prove pretty useful when it comes to the Nemesis system and the orc society simulation going on there.

The system works you but you also work the system, and it's all reactive to player agency and choice. It's fucking beautiful, it reminds me why I love video games.

Also, Deimos I avenged you several times bro you are welcome
now please git gud, friender.
I really like the vengeance missions though, it's kind of Dark Souls-Lite in implementation.

Hey, those orcs are annoying as hell when they swarm you. It's ok though cause I picked up a couple of tricks and I'm basically an orc killing god now.

Seriously, Wraith Finisher plus health on head pop runes are OP as hell.

''I've been avenging korriban 3 times in a row, killing the same urk everytime , nazdug the whisperer lol

Also if someones avenge me pls let me know :D

Welp... thanks for avenging me. That piece of dung always got me at bad times. I SWEAR!

By the way, what's your Steam name? I didn't even realise I added you.

Packs of mobs are so easy with that Wraith AoE.

I have that thing that makes finishers activate at 5 instead of 8, and the AoE itself does like 3 combos, so I just need two more hits and I do it again.

Also have the double finisher. Big mobs just get destroyed.

Is there a way to let go of a grabbed enemy without throwing them? (After branding) I've thrown so many uruks to their death - including a captain - so I guess it's time to ask...

Syrus

Banned
I was dying and got a last chance and a damn power 10 captain appeared out of nowhere and talked shit...then killed me

Normally I'd be pissed but was awesome

BigDug13

When do I start to see "Power Struggles"? I've unlocked all wraith towers (first area), I've killed plenty of captains, I've used the "advance time" option several times, I've seen captains move up and get promoted during the "advance time" option, yet on my map, I have yet to see a single red "power struggle" icon. I've also completed 3 story quests.

When do the Power Struggles start? I feel like my character will never advance again because I can't unlock anything. I have 5 accrued points sitting there unable to be spent.

GavinUK86

When do I start to see "Power Struggles"? I've unlocked all wraith towers (first area), I've killed plenty of captains, I've used the "advance time" option several times, I've seen captains move up and get promoted during the "advance time" option, yet on my map, I have yet to see a single red "power struggle" icon. I've also completed 3 story quests.

When do the Power Struggles start? I feel like my character will never advance again because I can't unlock anything. I have 5 accrued points sitting there unable to be spent.

That's your problem right there.

Joco

This game can get so crazy at times but I love it. I invaded a fight between two captains, damaged one enough that he fled so I successfully interrupted the duel. I figured I was about to wrap things up with the one captain and a few enemies left when that bastard Pigug the Chunky shows up with his band and then another captain joins in the fray about a minute later. So I have three captains and a mass of orcs around me. Intense stuff.

Just noticed that 7k+ Steam group for GAF. That might be useful. Anybody mind an invite? Username is Conkerkid11.

I couldn't find a thread specifically for this purpose, and couldn't find anybody asking for requests in the official Steam thread.

Currently 63.3% through the game.

Edit: Thanks!

BigDug13

That's your problem right there.

Oh shit really? I figured all those people saying they put several hours into the game without doing any story were still unlocking abilities. So they're all just playing for hours and never unlocking anything?

I really hate things like this, Orcs don't have a power struggle until I get to a certain story point? So once I reach a personal milestone, they'll begin fighting amongst themselves?

I don't know about the decapitation being the ONLY way to get rid of an Orc. I had a diseased Orc that we went back and forth killing each other and I got the last kill. He ended up being replaced by some other Orc on the board. I haven't run across him yet.. and I still didn't decapitate him.

GavinUK86

Oh shit really? I figured all those people saying they put several hours into the game without doing any story were still unlocking abilities. So they're all just playing for hours and never unlocking anything?

I really hate things like this, Orcs don't have a power struggle until I get to a certain story point? So once I reach a personal milestone, they'll begin fighting amongst themselves?

I actually can't remember when the Power Struggles show up but I spent ages looking for certain abilities earlier on and couldn't find them so I did story missions and they unlocked via that. Makes sense though. I always complete the story first in games like this and fuck around later on.

VanWinkle

I'm always so scared to start a fight with the warchiefs or even the captains sometimes, lol. I just keep thinking, "here we go, I'm about to get swarmed."

Top Bottom