• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

I can't see the visuals of the game being anything to wow people all that much anyway so I don't mind cranking a few things down a bit.

Then again I have an i7-4770k @4GHz and a 780Ti so I should be good

WarpathDC

I don't think so unless AMD release terrible drivers.
It should run a bit better (and look better) than on PS4.

Agreed, you'll probably be able to squeeze a bit more out with your setup than PC. I have a very similar setup and most PS4 cross plats with PC run a bit or look at bit better on my setup than PS4.

Kezen

Banned
Agreed, you'll probably be able to squeeze a bit more out with your setup than PC. I have a very similar setup and most PS4 cross plats with PC run a bit or look at bit better on my setup than PS4.

However, AMD drivers are not exactly on par when it comes to extracing as much performance as possible out of multicore CPUs so it's not impossible that his CPU could be a bottleneck in some cases.

WarpathDC

However, AMD drivers are not exactly on par when it comes to extracing as much performance as possible out of multicore CPUs so it's not impossible that his CPU could be a bottleneck in some cases.

Agreed, but I think you should be fine unless you are expecting supersampling or the ultra texture pack. One thing we will probably experience is some frame dips when the action gets crazy. MGS Rising is like that sometimes for me.

Teremap

Banned
Very strange that at least SMAA is not an option. SSAA is not realistic for the majority, even among high-end PC owners so I hope a quality "cheap" AA is enabled by default.
Judging from the enormous aliasing in plain sight that can be seen all over the posted benchmark video... yeah, not so much.

Not sure what I'm gonna do with that. I'll see how good their downsampling is, but I'm not terribly confident that that's really going to do much good...

teokrazia

So no problems at all with the ultra textures on that 970? No stuttering?

I played the game for over 30 hours, in order to write this review*.
Half of the time with texture on Ultra, the other half with texture on High.

What happened:
High approximate average:65-75 FPS
Ultra approximate average: 60-70, but with some very bad swaps [1-2 secs of freeze] every, mmh, 40 minutes?
Seems like the V-RAM needed to 're-cache' every certain spot.

Also, could you check how much RAM it uses while playing?

Sure, just took purposely for this thread!

About 20 minutes playing@Ultra textures:
http://i.imgur.com/L4bdxC1.jpg

About 20 minutes playing@High textures:
http://i.imgur.com/ZlGgfsD.jpg

*sorry, it's Italian, but I think that is still a good review :p

WarpathDC

PS4 it's probably around high quality. Really no reason why it would be less than high.

Saw the 3gb VRAM requirement but with optimization I guess High is possible. It doesn't look like a stunningly gorgeous game anyways. I'm excited for it nonetheless.

Soi-Fong

Hmm.. Wondering if 1440p will be possible for me with high textures? Hoping I can still keep up 60.

Specs: i7 2600k @ 4.4 ghz
GTX 780 Ti Classified
16 gb memory

I am soooo on the fence with whether to go PC or PS4 on this one.

i5 2500
12GB DDR3

I'll play at 1080p on PC.

Not sure where I should go....

Buggy Loop

Any comparisons between Ultra/high/consoles yet?

Screw benchmarks, it was obvious the 6GB requirement was exaggerated, but how does it look?

nbthedude

I am soooo on the fence with whether to go PC or PS4 on this one.

i5 2500
12GB DDR3

I'll play at 1080p on PC.

Not sure where I should go....

I think you can get a comparable experience on either. But you can get it for like $20-$30 cheaper on PC.

Greenman gaming still has it for $37.50 with coupon code: SEPTEM-BEROFF-ER25XX

Or you can get it from the Neogaf B/S/T thread for $26.

Not to mention it gives you more control over the experience whether you care more about framerate or better IQ.

Buggy Loop

I refuse to play games on PC at anything but absolutely maximum settings at minimum 60 fps

So I guess I'll wait a couple years for this one

481px-Wat.jpeg

Your alternative are consoles then? But.... i don't even..

It doesn't make sense.

An-Det

I'll be curious to see how stable I can get it since my system is literally the minimum requirements (Core i5-750, Radeon HD 5850). I'm not expecting a looker, but as long as I can get a steady framerate I'll be happy.

Teremap

Banned

Oh, that's very good. So the 6GB was indeed an overestimate, possibly due to use of supersampling or just because the publisher wanted to cover their bases.

Nope.
IQ, BTW, is not that bad:
http://i.imgur.com/nnRfQrb.jpg

Also, is possible to double the rendering resolution:
http://i.imgur.com/40ubzPS.jpg
...The jpg compression in that shot is awful, but even with that compression I can still see lots of visible aliasing.

I hope that supersampling is worth it....

Evo X

Oh man, these huge game sizes are making my SSDs cry.

I overclocked the shit out my GTX 980 last night. Gonna turn this bitch up to max and hope GSync takes care of the rest. lol.

Gonna wait for impressions before I buy though. Excited for the Forza Horizon 2 launch tonight!

I overclocked the shit out my GTX 980 last night. Gonna turn this bitch up to max and hope GSync takes care of the rest. lol.

Gonna wait for impressions before I buy though. Excited for the Forza Horizon 2 launch tonight!

I hear ya. I can only have 1-2 on it at a time.

Can't wait until the 1TB ones drop even more in price....

Grief.exe

The cool thing is how easy it is to move Steam installations at this point.

Just drag and drop the folder to your Steamapps/common in your alternative library. Then repeat the process for the corresponding .asf file in the Steamapps folder.

I made enough space over the weekend.

Skyzard

Banned

Just drag and drop the folder to your Steamapps/common in your alternative library. Then repeat the process for the corresponding .asf file in the Steamapps folder.

That's what I was missing, thanks.

Do you turn steam off while you do this?

knitoe

I hear ya. I can only have 1-2 on it at a time.

Can't wait until the 1TB ones drop even more in price....

Just use Steammover. Move games you are currently playing to SSD and back to HDD when you are done. Works wonderfully.

Yeah the moving of folders is so easy.

I've been having some HDD problems and didn't want to re-install all my games.

Basicaly close Steam. Move folders. Open Steam. Steam figures it all out.

Evo X

Just use Steammover. Move games you are currently playing to SSD and back to HDD when you are done. Works wonderfully.

Oh, I use Steammover, but I completely got rid of all HDDs. Just using 2 SSDs right now with a total of 384GB of space. Just gotta get rid of some currently installed games.

knitoe

Oh, I use Steammover, but I completely got rid of all HDDs. Just using 2 SSDs right now with a total of 384GB of space. Just gotta get rid of some currently installed games.
Do you not have space for HDD(s)? I have 750GB of SSDs space, but still have 5TB of HDDs space for storage.

Evo X

Do you not have space for HDD(s)? I have 750GB of SSDs space, but still have 5TB of HDDs space for storage.

I've got plenty of space, HDDs just piss me off now that I'm used to SSDs. Don't even like hearing them spool up.

I have external HDDs for my pictures and other large files I want to store, but only hook them up when I need to.

mintylurb

I played the game for over 30 hours, in order to write this review*.
Half of the time with texture on Ultra, the other half with texture on High.

What happened:
High approximate average:65-75 FPS
Ultra approximate average: 60-70, but with some very bad swaps [1-2 secs of freeze] every, mmh, 40 minutes?
Seems like the V-RAM needed to 're-cache' every certain spot.

*sorry, it's Italian, but I think that is still a good review :p
This post is encouraging. Now to wait for 980 to come back in stock at amazong.

Wag

The game support ultra-widescreen resolutions? I already bought the game but I hope it supports my LG34UM95 (3440x1440) properly.

I was able to run AC: Black Flag really well on my PC (GTX 660ti, i5 2500K, 8GB RAM), with only a few things turned off (like all the Physx) and that game was pretty poorly optimized, right?

Should I expect to be able to run this game pretty well too without bumping too many settings down?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Curious to see how many 770 2gb handles medium-high settings. I have top of the line everything else, just that damn fucking 2gb giving me nightmares every goddamn night good god geeees

nbthedude

How sure are we that this game launches at NOON at CENTRAL STANDARD TIME U.S.?

Cause it's 8PM and I'm looking at the page and it says 16 hours from now, which doesn't calculate to 12:00PM tomorrow.

Please be noon. Please be noon. Please be noon.

Top Bottom