• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

AndreH121

Neo Member
For some reason there is no HD Textures option for me in the DLC tab of Steam. This seems to be happening to other people too. Maybe because I ordered from Greenman Gaming?

I still can't belive Shadow Of Mordor needs 6GB of VRAM for Ultra, I know the game looks good, but not that good to need such amount of power, there are/will be better looking games on PC and PS4 that will need less power.

I can't tell if this is serious.

Are people serious about this?

How to explode your GPU:

15400187331_996fe5d816_o.jpg

PerfectConsumer

Neo Member
Anyone with a 780 (none titan)?
I have a 780 3GB vanilla card, and ran benchmarks this morning before work. It was rough not playing it, but the benchmark seemed to do fine (50-60fps avg. at 1080p) with everything at Ultra and all settings enabled. I didn't install the HD texture pack yet, but I will when I get home. I saw a YouTube video today that had promising results with a 780 using the HD texture pack, though the guy turned down ambient occlusion.

Seanspeed

Banned
I can't tell if this is serious.

Are people serious about this?
Yea, I don't see what's so unreasonable about this. Seems like a pretty lousy use of 6GB of vRAM to me. I mean, it is what it is, but I've gotten better textures on Skyrim with 1/3rd less vRAM.

Saiyan-Rox

Just booted it up and been playing for a bit trying to get a good baseline I can play on.

Can't seem to have any option on ultra for me otherwisw FPS drops all over the show also had to turn tessilation off. Soon as I get into any fight it drops straight down.

Got every setting on high and that doesn't help :(

i5
12GB Ram
AMD 7950

Shouldn't I be ok?/

Strangely hitting auto config puts things on ultra and yet that's worse

Downloading right now..

Worried about my aging setup though.

Got an i5 4670k@stock speed
8gb ram
gtx 680 2gb vram

Can i run this in 1080p in medium settings with acceptable framerate?

Will buy a 970 before the end of the year though. Perhaps it would be best to wait til i got the new video card so i wont ruin the experience with shitty graphics and rotten framerate?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ill test tonight when i get home, but I was hoping for my 7950 (3GB) to pull off 1080p in this. Sounds like it should be no issue, particularly without Ultra textures.

Thrakier

I'm watching videos of this and...I just don't know where the performance is going. The game looks pretty average to me. Or is this just another case of Batman DX11 mode?

Red Comet

Yes 780ti smooth as butter 80% of the time but bogging down in fights, not crazy bad but noticeable. I've uninstalled Ultra textures and gone for 150% resolution until a better AA solution is found.

780ti
i7 2600k mild overclocks on both
16GB RAM
W7 (64bit exe)

Yep I have a 780. It's not a hard locked 60 at 1920x1200 but the dips into the 50s are pretty infrequent. Happens sometimes if I swing the camera around too fast, never seems to dip during combat so far.

Thanks. I'll probably settle for high textures since framerate dips annoy me, but maybe an SLI profile will help.

Just booted it up and been playing for a bit trying to get a good baseline I can play on.

Can't seem to have any option on ultra for me otherwisw FPS drops all over the show also had to turn tessilation off. Soon as I get into any fight it drops straight down.

Got every setting on high and that doesn't help :(

i5
12GB Ram
AMD 7950

Shouldn't I be ok?/

Strangely hitting auto config puts things on ultra and yet that's worse

I've got pretty much the same setup (i5 2500k oced at 4.4) and even with settings on medium/off, the benchmark won't stay above 60. Not entirely sure what's going on, and can't check with afterburner as it crashes the game.

Is there really no way to download the HD texture pack via family sharing? Why would they restrict a texture pack but not the actual game?

Saiyan-Rox

I've got pretty much the same setup (i5 2500k oced at 4.4) and even with settings on medium/off, the benchmark won't stay above 60. Not entirely sure what's going on, and can't check with afterburner as it crashes the game.

I've got the 3370 is it? well 33 something k anyway and medium seems to be as stable as I can get it :( not too happy with this my rig has always been a little bitch when to comes to stable FPS in games.

Also steam overlay not working for me either

JackHerer

Does enabling AA in Nvidia Control panel work? I'm download the game now and from reading a few pages of this thread it's not clear.

DZ_b_EZ

My native res is 1440p. The closest I can get to 1080/1200p is 2048X1152.

Max setting:

Low: 2.1GB VRAM
ocXfsuD.jpg

Medium: 3.1GB VRAM
4y9NgIE.jpg

High: 3.8GB VRAM
RHOV661.jpg

Ultra: 5.3GB VRAM
xZNnXMY.jpg

Going by my results, I don't see how you can truly get Ultra unless on 6GB VRAM card. The game my let you select it, but it might not actually be running at Ultra.

What software are you using to get that information. I would love to see how much VRAM my games are using.

OmegaX06

Ok, so a work around for AMD cards to somewhat enable Crossfire. Pull up CCC, go to 3D Application Settings. Add the game's exe file. Under AMD CrossFireX, set Frame Pacing to On and CrossFireX Mode to AFR Friendly.

1440p
i7 2600@4.5
2x290x
16GB RAM
Everything set to max + HD Texture Pack

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I should have known crossfire wouldn't work out of the box. I'm about to get rid of these two cards and buy a single one...

yatesl

I'll be honest, I've not read the thread, but how's the performance on a 2GB 770? Needs to be damn-near locked at 60fps, 1080.

Medium? Low?

Psy

Neo Member
Sadly, I did not get as good performance on my setup (although sli certainly helped). Running 3570k@4.5ghz, 8 gigs ram, geforce 2x780 sli (pny reference designs) and windows 7 64 bit:

sli disabled, ultra settings except textures high, 1080p:

sli enabled, sli bits and rendering settings from fear 3, ultra settings except textures high, 1080p:

I did not note any graphics glitches during the benchmark with sli.

inspector settings:

note: You have to add the game exe to the existing nvidia profile. It does not point to the correct exe in the steam version

Tried those exact settings with the latest Inspector and NV driver but my 2nd and 3rd 780 Ti Classified sit at single digits utilization during most of the benchmark.

UPDATE: Not using NV Inspector I just set "SLI rendering mode," in the NV Control Panel, to "X-GPU Alternate frame rendering 2" and it worked.

hawk2025

I'm so sorry, but I'm finding this hilarious.

This has to be one of the strangest errors I've ever seen in a game. It may have been the lack of sleep, but I saw this post last night around 1:30am and I literally started crying I was laughing so hard, I'm so sorry... :( It just looks so ridiculous with the weird EKG graphics at the top right, it looks as if it was photoshopped in. Have you posted to their their forums?

hahaha, no worries, I figured it out :)

The game was not playing well with Nvidia's stereoscopic 3D settings, which even though was "off", was checked as on in the Nvidia control panel.

As soon as I turned it off completely, the issue was gone.

Enco

Just started.

Got a 2gb 770.

I had set a higher resolution in Nvidia CP so that I can downsample but this game detects it as my native resolution and I can't pick 1920x1200 like usual. I'm playing at 2560x1600 because I'm too lazy to change it.

I'm in the tutorial and I'm getting a smooth 60 fps I think. I have everything set on high/ultra except for textures at medium.

Prob see a drop when I get into the world.

jpax

Can you force v-sync with a Radeon GPU? I get a pretty stable 60 with a few drops. But the intern v-sync kicks me down to 30 instantly, if in actuality I would only lose 5 fps or so.
I tried forcing it through CCC but it does not register with the game.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I finally finished downloading the game and tried it with the SLI compatibility bits. The benchmark runs great on my 680 SLI: never dips below 90 with everything cranked up (except for Textures). In-game, though, it drops to mid-to-low 50s every once in a while (with in-game VSync on). Nothing too distracting. Other than that, the game works great, and I assume that it'll work even better when (if) NVIDIA comes up with official SLI support.

I'll be honest, I've not read the thread, but how's the performance on a 2GB 770? Needs to be damn-near locked at 60fps, 1080.

Medium? Low?

Given that the 770 is basically a rebranded 680, you'll be fine with Medium-to-High-with-mostly-High settings if you don't want the game to drop below 60 at any time. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about not being able to play this game at 60 FPS. It's not another Watch_Dogs. Turn down a notch some of the most demanding options (Texture quality, Ambient Occlusion) and you'll be set.

It doesn't look THAT mind-blowingly good even at max settings, though... The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a much more eye-candy game.

I don't know what I'm reading. FXAA removing all the aliasing in a scene? Hah. No way. ESPECIALLY in games like GTA4 where downsampling from 4K still doesn't come close to removing all the aliasing. I need to see screenshots of the magical FXAA you seem to have discovered :)

"All" was sorta hyperbole... just was trying to make the point that it addresses more aliasing in a scene than an MSAA technique would in the way games are made today.

Implementation of FXAA can be tweaked, and for games that include the option where it has been tweaked for that specific game, I think it usually holds up pretty well (outiside of the shimmering and such problems associated with it). If its implemented right its really not blurry.

martino

CPU : core i7 950 @ 3.8ghz
RAM : 6go @1333
GPU : crossfire 7870XT

1080p everything maxed (no ultra hd texture dowloaded)

6474692014093000001.jpg

Iceternal

I'm a little disappointed ...

I've got a 780ti / 4790k setup and I get drops on 1080p with everything on ultra except textures on high.

I thought I could get a stable 60fps with this game.

Also the V-sync is total shit in this game, like in Assassin's Creed, it drops to 30 fps whenever the rig can't maintain 60 fps, which makes the game unplayable when it's going from 60 to 30 fps and vice versa.

Should I disable ingame V-sync and use D3Doverrider ?

Xeroblade

Downloading right now..

Worried about my aging setup though.

Got an i5 4670k@stock speed
8gb ram
gtx 680 2gb vram

Can i run this in 1080p in medium settings with acceptable framerate?

Will buy a 970 before the end of the year though. Perhaps it would be best to wait til i got the new video card so i wont ruin the experience with shitty graphics and rotten framerate?

i think so. i have an i7 2600 with a 670 and run it at 1080p all settings high except texture setting is at medium with 60fps. a few dips here and there though.

Kezen

Banned

I've got a 780ti / 4790k setup and I get drops on 1080p with everything on ultra except textures on high.

Also the V-sync is total shit in this game, like in Assassin's Creed, it drops to 30 fps whenever the rig can't maintain 60 fps, which makes the game unplayable when it's going from 60 to 30 fps and vice versa.

D3DO is not compatible with 64 bit games unless that has recently changed. Your 780ti has not enough VRAM for high textures + maxed out everything else hence the stuttering. You could reduce your shadow setting to high.

Gbraga

Use the borderless fullscreen mode. It should fix the vsync

Teremap

Banned
On the subject of AA, I actually find that SMAA is preferable to FXAA for use with downsampling simply because it doesn't exacerbate temporal aliasing as much as FXAA tends to. As I am VERY sensitive to temporal aliasing, anything that makes it more noticeable is automatically out of the running.

Speaking of temporal aliasing, so far nothing has proven to be as effective at getting rid of it as TXAA for the performance hit. SGSSAA is of course superior but hits the frame rate much harder. I wish every developer would implement TXAA into their game at least as an option...

Yea, I don't see what's so unreasonable about this. Seems like a pretty lousy use of 6GB of vRAM to me. I mean, it is what it is, but I've gotten better textures on Skyrim with 1/3rd less vRAM.
I'm watching videos of this and...I just don't know where the performance is going. The game looks pretty average to me. Or is this just another case of Batman DX11 mode?
Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm standing. I'm not seeing what could possibly justify this much memory usage in the videos and screenshots. If it looked Crysis 3-level with an open world it would make some semblance of sense, but... well... it doesn't.

What is Monolith doing?

Carlius

Banned

except its lies, i am on a 680 2gb on ultra and everything maxed out except motion blur and i never dip beloe 40, so yes, its all lies and bullshit pr.

Wag

This game needs an SLI profile so bad. It scores so low on my tri-Titans it's not even funny.

Dries

Wow, 18 pages already. Can someone give a rundown on the whole 6 GB VRAM situation? Is it really required?

Medium? Low?

Tell you what. I benched my other PC that has an AMD Phenom II x4 845, 660TI, 8GB @ 1080p and the results were:
Average fps = 58
Max fps = 309
Min fps - 39

with the following settings;
Lighting quality - med
Mess quality - med
Motion blur - off (I hate motion blur)
Shadow quality - med
Texture quality - med
Ambient occlusion - med
Vegetation range - med
DoF - on
Order independent transparency - on
Tessellation - off

Ran it again and got:
Average fps - 51
Max fps - 280
Min fps - 34

Lighting quality - high
Mess quality - high
Motion blur - off (I hate motion blur)
Shadow quality - med
Texture quality - high
Ambient occlusion - high
Vegetation range - med
DoF - on
Order independent transparency - on
Tessellation - off

That said I'd imagine wiht shadows set to low and ambient occlusion off that it woulld average 60 fps with no issues, so that GTX 770 should be good for High/Med settings with a solid frame rate.

Anyone with 280x can do a bench ?

This would apply to you as the 280X is on par if not better than the GTX 660ti, but not by much.

mrlion

So the conclusion is...you don't need 4 Titans to run this game at ultra. See? I told you guys you were just paranoid for nothing. The devs aren't stupid they wouldn't require VRAM that high even if it was readily available.

Top Bottom