• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

Durante

The article from gamegpu.ru:

http://gamegpu.ru/rpg/rollevye/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-test-gpu.html

Lots of stuff, reading it now.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-Middle-earth_Shadow_of_Mordor-test-ShadowOfMordor_1920.jpg

I guess they will update with more tests and with sli working results.
Those seem like reasonable results at VHQ settings.

Wow, 18 pages already. Can someone give a rundown on the whole 6 GB VRAM situation? Is it really required?
Of course it's not required. No one ever claimed that. It seems to be at least somewhat advantageous if you are using the ultra texture pack.

Dario ff

Banned
I'll be honest, I've not read the thread, but how's the performance on a 2GB 770? Needs to be damn-near locked at 60fps, 1080.

Medium? Low?

High Preset. 2 GB 760 (basically 670) here. Use Borderless Fullscreen + Vsync and enjoy your locked 60 FPS. Could push a few settings higher than that if you feel like it.

Zafir

The amount of VRAM it uses is scaled though. You can have ultra textures on at lower vram amounts, it uses what it can. I'm running it at 1440p with them on and it's using all of my vram. High uses a bit less.

Any GTX 660ti impressions?

I didn't see any numbers on the chart on the previous page (my card was like the only one NOT on there that I could see, haha).

I was able to get Black Flag running well with that card and my i5 2500K with only a few settings turned down. I always turn off motion blur in games and usually keep AA on 2-4x, so I'm not looking to run everything on ULTRA.

spuckthew

Downloading right now..

Worried about my aging setup though.

Got an i5 4670k@stock speed
8gb ram
gtx 680 2gb vram

Can i run this in 1080p in medium settings with acceptable framerate?

Keep us posted on your performance dude as my rig is basically identical (4670K@4.2GHz though) and would love to know how it copes.

GavinUK86

Finally got it running ok-ish after tinkering with it all day. I obviously didn't expect to max it out on my older rig but still not exactly impressed with it. I'm using High for textures even though I only have a 2gb card and I don't notice too much stuttering. Medium is trash.

i7 2600k / 8gb RAM / GTX660

These are the settings I'm using:

And this is what the benchmark says:

knitoe

except its lies, i am on a 680 2gb on ultra and everything maxed out except motion blur and i never dip beloe 40, so yes, its all lies and bullshit pr.
I don't think you are actually running ULTRA textures even though the game lets you select it. Trying taking screenshots and comparing. From my own testing, look at the ground textures because the difference is very noticeable.

Any GTX 660ti impressions?

I didn't see any numbers on the chart on the previous page (my card was like the only one NOT on there that I could see, haha).

I was able to get Black Flag running well with that card and my i5 2500K with only a few settings turned down. I always turn off motion blur in games and usually keep AA on 2-4x, so I'm not looking to run everything on ULTRA.

Just posted some benchies from my 660ti setup.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132320018&postcount=898

Vid of 3 different configurations on the GXT 660 Ti - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcMJ5RCX_ZU

On the subject of AA, I actually find that SMAA is preferable to FXAA for use with downsampling simply because it doesn't exacerbate temporal aliasing as much as FXAA tends to. As I am VERY sensitive to temporal aliasing, anything that makes it more noticeable is automatically out of the running.

Speaking of temporal aliasing, so far nothing has proven to be as effective at getting rid of it as TXAA for the performance hit. SGSSAA is of course superior but hits the frame rate much harder. I wish every developer would implement TXAA into their game at least as an option...

Yeah, this is pretty much where I'm standing. I'm not seeing what could possibly justify this much memory usage in the videos and screenshots. If it looked Crysis 3-level with an open world it would make some semblance of sense, but... well... it doesn't.

What is Monolith doing?

Being a 'Nvida' game as the splash screen suggests - I'm also surprised that the game lacks TXAA and a proper Sli profile on release. Not to mention no native Surround support.

What's the best way to lock the framerate properly? Having the same issue as the guy on the last page where it runs at 60 most of the time but will sometimes drop to 30 at random, no in-between. Looking at the ground and then up fixes it for a while, but it's pretty annoying.

Durante

What's the best way to lock the framerate properly? Having the same issue as the guy on the last page where it runs at 60 most of the time but will sometimes drop to 30 at random, no in-between. Looking at the ground and then up fixes it for a while, but it's pretty annoying.
Borderless windowed fullscreen mode.

Padinn

Fixed my 970 crashing issue by undoing my overclock, looks like this game is sensitive to higher frequencies. Was previously fully stable in Firemark/Heaven.

Borderless windowed fullscreen mode.
Not sure why but that makes the game incredibly blurry for me.

Edit: Switching the resolution to 100%(4K) fixes the issue but given it's still running well it can't be actually running at 4K. I don't understand the resolution options in this game.

Rizific

I5 2500k @3.8 with 3gb 7950

It defaulted to a mixture of high/ultra. Turned shadows to medium and turned motion blur off. Benchmark results max 72/min 24/avg 62. Good enough for me!

Should add that tessellation is also off.

Irobot82

I5 2500k @3.8 with 3gb 7950

It defaulted to a mixture of high/ultra. Turned shadows to medium and turned motion blur off. Benchmark results max 72/min 24/avg 62. Good enough for me!

Ok sweet. this was what I was looking for. Thanks man!

Saiyan-Rox

Even on medium I'm getting drops to 30 :/ seems to be when I'm in camps/buildings its dropping the most. My system shouldn't be that bad

Mrbob

I've been trying to maximize settings on 1080P to get a near constant 60fps vsynced in game using fraps. I'm not at home to check but these are what I believe are my settings:

4670K @ 3.8ghz
R290

Lighting quality - High
Mess quality - ultra
Motion blur - camera only
Shadow quality - high
Texture quality - ultra
Ambient occlusion - med
Vegetation range - ultra
DoF - on
Order independent transparency - on
Tessellation - on

With my current settings above I'm not seeing drops. Seems to me AO and ultra lighting quality hurt performance the most. If I turn AO on high I can hold a 60 fps most of the time but when I do execution moves the frame rate drops to 30. This may not bug others but it bothered me. Plus with lighting on Ultra my frame rate would dip if I did any fast turns in an area. So for the moment I'm going to keep things are they are listed above as I want to keep everything at 60FPS as much as possible.

Fairly happy with the performance apart from a lighting issue. When the lightning strikes at night in the rain, it shows some odd colours (purples, blues, etc). R9 280x with the latest drivers.

Anyone else came across something similar?

Just started the game and did anyone else have it where the Nvidia Splash screen didn't have any sound at all. Then the menu music is fine, then as soon as you start a new game, the intro cutscene has no music at all, but if you skip it and get into the game, the sound works perfectly?

Fairly happy with the performance apart from a lighting issue. When the lightening strikes at night in the rain, it shows some odd colours (purples, blues, etc). R9 280x with the latest drivers.

Anyone else came across something similar?

TotalBiscuits impressions video showed the same thing happen, though he was using a Titan so it's not an AMD exclusive issue.

Vitor711

The article from gamegpu.ru:

http://gamegpu.ru/rpg/rollevye/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-test-gpu.html

Lots of stuff, reading it now.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-Middle-earth_Shadow_of_Mordor-test-ShadowOfMordor_1920.jpg

I guess they will update with more tests and with sli working results.

That seems reasonable. I see the trend of people continuing to bash games just because they're not guaranteed a fixed 60FPS at ultra continues.

It's not the best looking game, but it still looks nice and performance seems reasonable. Dropping stuff down a notch doesn't have a huge impact visually but it certainly helps make 60FPS viable for a lot of people.

martino

i put some shadow to high to avoid stuterring and disabled motion blur because there is nothing to hide on pc so far crossfire work very well except a bug on menu

Iceternal

D3DO is not compatible with 64 bit games unless that has recently changed. Your 780ti has not enough VRAM for high textures + maxed out everything else hence the stuttering. You could reduce your shadow setting to high.

I'm not turning down the textures to medium with a 4790k and a 780ti ... no way ! Or even shadows ...

Top Bottom