• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

JackHerer

You also need to add the game's EXE file to the profile.

I got the SLI bit working now. The game runs at 100 FPS when I'm just walking around but it drops close to 30FPS in combat.... Something must be wrong.

Edit: This is happening on high textures too.

I5 - 2500k (overclocked around 4 Mhtz I think. Been a while since I did it.)
16 Gig RAM
GTX670 with 2 Gig

Running borderless with vsync on 1080P, hooked up to TV.

Running on very high presets, getting 60fps about 90% of the time. Lowest I've seen FRAPS go down to is 52fps. Nothing is turned off in advanced options and vegetation distance is set to ultra.

Benchmarking via the client showed me around a 60fps average for most settings. 70ish if I turned off tessellation. Game runs like a champ, no complaints so far.

I'll have to try the HD texture package a little later.

Qassim

Just for a laugh I thought I'd give the HD texture pack a go on my 3GB 780s. Surprisingly it was playable, kept a high frame rate (70-90fps) 98% of the time but I had some quite severe frame time spikes,

I don't know if they were working properly, but to enable them I:

1) Downloaded the HD pack
2) Loaded the game, flicked the textures to 'Ultra'
3) Loaded the game itself
4) Restarted the game, not changing any settings to ensure things were properly reloaded with the 'Ultra' textures

Then to go back to High I:

1) Changed the setting back to 'high'
2) Quit to desktop
3) Reload into the game

Maybe it just refuses to load them if the you don't meet the memory requirements? But I couldn't explain why I was getting frame times spikes with them enabled but not on high (I made up a benchmark run to keep it consistent, going to a spot where the frame times spiked reliably, fighting the same group of enemies, running the same path, etc).

martino

update : notice a spectacular bug on amd when raining (violet texture when lighting if i can i take a screen but it's a common bug i get in a lot of game when 16x af)

i5 3570k @ stock, GTX 770 4GB @ stock, 8GB RAM

Seems to be a mostly locked 60fps on max settings, minus AO set to high instead of Ultra. Lowering AO should guarantee a locked 60fps in borderless windowed.

UrbanRats

Anyone got a comparison between AO on high and on Ultra? Either gives me an average 60fps, but on high i get them much more stable, so i'm wondering what the visual difference is.
Any screenshot comparison around, i can look at?

Eyothrie

anyone know why borderless fullscreen stutters (no framedrops, 60fps limit set) but normal fullscreen doesn't? I have vsync and triple buffering enabled in Nvidia control panel, but vsync unchecked in game

Arken2121

Just installed the Ultra textures and I noticed absolutely no change in either my performance or VRAM usage. I also didn't use supersampling. Here are my specs:

i7-4770k @4.0ghz

16gb memory @2133mhz

2x GTX680's

2x256 SSD 830's Raid 0

Edit: It also seems like the game doesn't utilize SLI

Branson

So should I expect good perfomance at or above ps4 level with these specs?

2500k @ 4.5ghz
GTX 580 3gb
8 GIGS of Ram

or should I just pick up the PS4 version?

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah and now I know why. Your settings aren't even maxed, I was wondering how you were getting 20fps higher than me @ 1440p with a gtx 980 compared to my titan, even though the 980 is ~5% better.

This could also equate to why you don't have any hitching when spinning your camera around.

Sorry if this sounds douchey, just sayin'.

I said I had AO at high and alpha blending off as their is no visual difference that i could see. Also have my gpu at 1500+ core and GSYNC. No douchyness man no problem :D

SoundLad

Been playing for around 2 hours with this rig:

i7 3770 @ 3.6Ghz
gigabyte gtx 780 ti 3GB OC
8GB ram
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro

Runs like a dream @ 1080p, everything maxed apart from textures - around 70+fps, no frame spikes as far as I can tell so far which surprised me going by some of the feedback.
If I turn down shadows and AO to high, playing at 150% res scaling seems to be very playable 50+ fps. 200% (4K) looks insane and totally playable if you were to accept 25+ fps range.

Very happy with it so far!

Facism

my cpu is below minimum spec, being a 3.2ghz phenom 2 810 quad core. everything else is above recommended afaik. gpu is a 2gig 660gtx and system ram is 8gb. anyone with a similar setup? would rather play on pc rather than console :(

Loxley

So, out of nowhere, the game now launches to a black screen and just stays there :(

*edit - nevermore, seems to have fixed itself.

Single GTX970@1080p, maxed out:

shadowofmordor_2014_1emyai.png

SLI GTX970@1080p, maxed out:

shadowofmordor_2014_11qkx5.png

SLI GTX970@1440p, maxed out:

shadowofmordor_2014_1zbk2z.png

I can change FOV :p

15383257666_2582cb58f2_o.jpg

Kinda stupidly wide there.

Also, custom aspect ratios work if you use bordless fullscreen.

15218419820_9647aec641_o.jpg

15218572947_76337aaec7_o.jpg

15401902131_3cb0b7dea4_o.jpg

Ultra textures weren't applied to those last 3

Anyone else getting FPS locked at 72 with vsync on? Im running a 144hz monitor but I know the game also locks it self at 100 fps without vsync but that doesn't explain why its locked to 72 with vsync on.

I'm thinking my 4670 (non K) is holding me back if people are reporting such high framerates on 970s. I was getting 50-60 in benches with 150% resolution (from 1080p baseline), and without ultra textures.

Xyber

Anyone else getting FPS locked at 72 with vsync on? Im running a 144hz monitor but I know the game also locks it self at 100 fps without vsync but that doesn't explain why its locked to 72 with vsync on.

I think it's because it's double buffered, so if you don't reach 144FPS it limits it to half the refresh rate.

Zafir

Yeah and now I know why. Your settings aren't even maxed, I was wondering how you were getting 20fps higher than me @ 1440p with a gtx 980 compared to my titan, even though the 980 is ~5% better.

This could also equate to why you don't have any hitching when spinning your camera around.

Sorry if this sounds douchey, just sayin'.
Well, I've got maxed settings at 1440p on my 970 and the only time I get stuttering is when I spin the camera after the following - loaded into a mission/game, exited the pause menu, or fast traveled. All of which you kind of expect a tiny bit of stuttering.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Performance is pretty good for me, get around 40-80 fps with everything maxed except AO and Shadows on high.

But V-sync destroys playability. Game keeps switching between 30 and 60 fps and makes doing things like aiming a real pain. (vsynbc in nvidia panel works same as in-game.)
i7 4770, 16gb ram and 770 2gb oc.

Smash88

Banned
I said I had AO at high and alpha blending off as their is no visual difference that i could see. Also have my gpu at 1500+ core and GSYNC. No douchyness man no problem :D

Ah, okay, got it. Yeah I was like damn 20fps+, that's higher than any other benchmarks I've seen. Makes sense. Good stuff, thanks for the details! :D

Well, I've got maxed settings at 1440p on my 970 and the only time I get stuttering is when I spin the camera after the following - loaded into a mission/game, exited the pause menu, or fast traveled. All of which you kind of expect a tiny bit of stuttering.

Hopefully future drivers will improve our FPS and potentially stuttering for those without 6GB of VRAM.

d00d3n

K-Putt has uploaded his sweetfx preset and it has support for the game. His settings have smaa and fxaa but I cannot tell which is better. Perhaps someone with a keener eye :

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/2179/

Any word about a new driver from Nv?

I decided to skip 150% resolution downsampling in the end. There are stretches when the game is 60 fps locked and it looks amazing, but the fps during open world traversal is too variable imo. The sweetfx preset above is better than no anti-aliasing at all and the performance hit is minimal.

Edit: Does anyone get consistent good performance in-game with the 150% resolution downsampling setting? No hitches at all during open world traversal? No issues during combat? What hardware are you running?

I think it's because it's double buffered, so if you don't reach 144FPS it limits it to half the refresh rate.

Ah I see, So if I don't enable vsync and I hit 100 fps [cause for some reason the game doesn't go past 100 fps] I will still be seeing those full 100 frames cause the game refresh rate is still 144hz right?

UnrealEck

Performance is pretty good for me, get around 40-80 fps with everything maxed except AO and Shadows on high.

But V-sync destroys playability. Game keeps switching between 30 and 60 fps and makes doing things like aiming a real pain. (vsynbc in nvidia panel works same as in-game.)

You could try turning vsync off and capping the framerate to 60 using rivatuner (included with afterburner). Try overclocking your monitor a little too. Mines is at 63Hz and I cap games at 60 FPS and leave vsync off. That way I get smooth responsive gameplay and I don't get tearing.

d00d3n

Anybody else getting crazy dips on the bridge/rain tutorial fight? Lame...

Are you using vsync? Try running borderless full-screen. Try experimenting with lowering shadows to high, ambient occlusion to high, disabling motion blur and disabling dof. Lower resolution to native if you are downsampling.

Are you using vsync? Try running borderless full-screen. Try experimenting with lowering shadows to high, ambient occlusion to high, disabling motion blur and disabling dof. Lower resolution to native if you are downsampling.

I'll try borderless fullscreen I guess. Look at my benchmark results above, not really willing to turn down the rest. Seems to be another case of a benchmark not representing the game properly.

d00d3n

I'll try borderless fullscreen I guess. Look at my benchmark results above, not really willing to turn down the rest. Seems to be another case of a benchmark not representing the game properly.

But are you running 1080p or 1440p? I would stick with 1080p to get consistent performance.

But are you running 1080p or 1440p? I would stick with 1080p to get consistent performance.

I am at 1080p at the moment. Guess this rain scene is especially performance heavy and I'll ignore it for now to see how it looks in game. Just didn't really expect to go below 60 here after people said it runs well.

irishcow

i5 2500k@4.5ghz, 8gb ram, R9 290 4gb at 290x clocks.

Running at 1080p, ultra everything including textures.

All I've got to say is this game is excellent! I have experienced no slowdowns. It looks so good and is so fun to play!

Stop bitching and enjoy this game everyone!

Kinthalis

Banned

Did you try running on borderless windowed mode? It's vsynced and tripple buffered.

Top Bottom