• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

d00d3n

A patch was just released for the PC version of Shadow of Mordor. Claims that the game now supports SLI. Here are the full patch notes:
New Features:
Lithariel Skin available.
Lithariel’s Trials of War “Test of Defiance” available. (Main Objective: Kill 6 Warchiefs and 15 captains. Lithariel has only one life. Death results in failure. Lithariel does more melee damage, but has less armor. You cannot save during this challenge. Quitting results in failure.)
New Epic rune granted to player’s inventory “Defiant to the End”. (Additional last chance given to player when equipped.)

PC Specific Features:
Nvidia SLI support.

Bug Fixes for all platforms:
Photo Mode: The controller drain/brand SFX persists when Photo Mode is up. Brand SFX no longer persist when pausing through photo mode during a drain or brand sequence.
Power of Shadow: The hood of the Black Hand's cloak in the front end appears covering half his face. Eye FX issue fixed for the Black Hand skin in the front end menu. Glowing eyes effect misplaced on Black Hand's face when dismissing title screen.
UI/VFX still show Talion as poisoned when One With Nature (Epic) Dagger Rune is equipped.
Player can receive duplicate Epic Runes by killing multiple captains with dispatch.
MOTD is not cycling after one rotation.

PC Specific Bug Fixes:
Improved messaging when game fails to launch.
Fixed issue with incorrect aspect ratio being used when changing resolution through the video options in windowed mode.
Added an option to expose FXAA as part of the motion blur settings.
Fixed issues with native resolution detection. The game will now use Windows “recommended” resolution.
Fixed issues with custom resolutions specified in Windows. Users no longer have to delete them.
Fixed in game benchmark starting too early.
Fixed not being able to skip benchmark load screen.
Improved benchmark output files located in “My Documents\WB Games\Shadow of Mordor\*.csv”.
In game VSync will now use NVIDIA’s adaptive sync when turned on. It will use NVIDIA’s Control Panel settings when turned off.
Fixed save game issue where starting new game on top of existing data didn’t clear skills purchased.
Fixed issue with WB Play where entering age under 18 on accident prevented player from ever accessing WB Play.

3rUr0HP.jpg

Min FPS has improved but I'm guessing that is due to:

Fixed in game benchmark starting too early.

It performs pretty much the same as the "Force alternate frame rendering 2" but it does appear to fix a rain effects rendering issue I had with the non-official SLI fixes. Good that they at least made good on it eventually.

d00d3n

I did not have time to do extensive testing, but I started a new game and fought the infamous battle in the rain that tanked the performance for everybody who ran SLI. The battle now seemed to be running fine. Ran nicely in 60 fps in 2880x1800 downsampled to 1080p. 4k was a bit too much for my system to handle, though ...

Settings: everything on the highest settings except textures at high, vsync activated
Specs:3570k@4.6, 2x780 gtx sli, 8 gig ram, ssd drive, win 7 64 bit

Deepo

Game now runs beuatifully for me in SLI. Finally! Great timing too, as I'm now waiting for patches for Assassin's Creed: Unity, Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age: Inquisition to be able to play them properly. This will do nicely in the meantime.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
To note, the SLI profile has been in the drivers for some time, and we worked closely with Monolith to build the necessary changes into the game.

Kezen

Banned
In game VSync will now use NVIDIA’s adaptive sync when turned on. It will use NVIDIA’s Control Panel settings when turned off.
I'm confused.

EDIT : I can't get vsync to work now. In-game vsync no longer works, forcing adaptative in the CP has no effect as well.
I have no idea why they felt the need to replace their perfectly fine vsync.

riflen

I'm confused.

EDIT : I can't get vsync to work now. In-game vsync no longer works, forcing adaptative in the CP has no effect as well.
I have no idea why they felt the need to replace their perfectly fine vsync.

What refresh rate are you playing at? What do you mean by "vsync no longer works"?

Kezen

Banned
What refresh rate are you playing at? What do you mean by "vsync no longer works"?

60hz. In-game sync no longer works, I get tearing everywhere. On/off makes no difference anymore, tried turning it on via the CP (forced or adaptative) = same result.
Tearing everywhere.

I simply can't get my game to be sync'd to my monitor.

d00d3n

60hz. In-game sync no longer works, I get tearing everywhere. On/off makes no difference anymore, tried turning it on via the CP (forced or adaptative) = same result.
Tearing everywhere.

I simply can't get my game to be sync'd to my monitor.

Are you sure that you are able to maintain 60 fps? Playing at 60 Hz, you will lose vsync and get tearing if your frame rate goes below 60 with adaptive. Adaptive vsync and vsync off should look similar in your case if your frame rate is usually below 60/second.

Kezen

Banned
Are you sure that you are able to maintain 60 fps? Playing at 60 Hz, you will lose vsync and get tearing if your frame rate goes below 60 with adaptive. Adaptive vsync and vsync off should look similar in your case if your frame rate is usually below 60/second.

That explains it I suppose. I managed to get vsync working after a number of restarts. I forced it via the CP.

Jumping through hoops just to get a sync'd game, unbelievable.

UrbanRats

Wait wait, i got tearing hell too now, what do i have to do, again? (ingame vsync is active).

New skin and challenge are great tho.

Kezen

Banned
Wait wait, i got tearing hell too now, what do i have to do, again? (ingame vsync is active).

New skin and challenge are great tho.

Disable in-game vsync.
Enable vsync in your CP.

I still can't fathom out why they had to replace their vsync implementation. It worked well enough.

Even though the vsync forced through the CP works perfectly.

I put the game into borderless window the first day after not being able to get vsync and triple buffering working at the same time.

No tearing and it's allowed to fluctuate 50-60 without the locking to 30 that happens without triple buffering.

UrbanRats

Disable in-game vsync.
Enable vsync in your CP.

I still can't fathom out why they had to replace their vsync implementation. It worked well enough.

Even though the vsync forced through the CP works perfectly.

Thanks, i'll do that.
Do i have to activate triple buffering? And what's the difference between regular and adaptive V-Sync?

UrbanRats

Thanks, i tried setting adaptive through inspector on AC Unity the other day, but i was still getting plenty of tearing, so was wondering how it worked.

Anyway, setting regular VSync from the Nvidia CP, in SoM worked great, thanks!

chronomac

FX-6300
8 GB RAM
HD 7950

I get about 60 FPS but on the High setting. Does that sound right to everyone? Is there an AMD profile to download for this game, or is the 14.9 Catalyst driver all I need?

akashhhhh

Is there any valid reason this game runs so much better in full screen borderless window? Are there any tradeoffs I'm not aware of? Are FPS counters still accurate in full screen borderless?

Gold Member
Is there any valid reason this game runs so much better in full screen borderless window? Are there any tradeoffs I'm not aware of? Are FPS counters still accurate in full screen borderless?
Back at launch I heard that the borderless option enabled triple buffering whereas the full screen only used double buffering. The double buffering causes the frame rate to half (so 30 FPS) if it drops below 60 FPS which is why it feels like shit. Not sure if I got that entirely correct (it was definitely to do with buffering lol) or if it has been fixed since I played it.

The only trade off I found was when running DSR on my 980 I couldn't get the resolutions I wanted as it changed the factors incorrectly and I couldn't downsample (well I could but it was at something stupid like 4k). I never noticed an issue using Fraps in borderless although I did switch back to full screen as I wanted better downsample options.

You can force full screen into triple buffer mode by alt tabbing out/in which I just did at the beginning of a session and it solves the crap performance :)

realzzz

Neo Member
FX-6300
8 GB RAM
HD 7950

I get about 60 FPS but on the High setting. Does that sound right to everyone? Is there an AMD profile to download for this game, or is the 14.9 Catalyst driver all I need?
Exactly the same results. With the same config, game is really well optimized compared to Unity.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or is the in-game benchmark really inaccurate? Every time I run it my min FPS can vary by like 10. I just got a GTX 970 but this doesn't seem like a great way to test it.

Jintor

Can anyone help out? I had to reformat my pc but SoM is on a separate partition to my SDD so I figured it'd be okay. The reinstall went okay and Steam detected SoM fine but now it launches into low res (like 1280 x 720 where I'm running 1020 x 1980) and is severely underscanned. I can't seem to adjust anything from the internal menu. The weird thing is it's only happening on SoM; I booted up Ground Zeroes which I also left on the HDD and while it auto'd to 720, it adjusted to 1020 pretty instantly and runs/looks great.

Any thoughts?

dlemarc

Can anyone help out? I had to reformat my pc but SoM is on a separate partition to my SDD so I figured it'd be okay. The reinstall went okay and Steam detected SoM fine but now it launches into low res (like 1280 x 720 where I'm running 1020 x 1980) and is severely underscanned. I can't seem to adjust anything from the internal menu. The weird thing is it's only happening on SoM; I booted up Ground Zeroes which I also left on the HDD and while it auto'd to 720, it adjusted to 1020 pretty instantly and runs/looks great.

Any thoughts?

The last time I had that issue it was with Mortal Kombat, and that was because I changed the font size of Windows by 150%. If you've done the same, right click the SoM exe and disable display scaling on high DPI settings. Otherwise, I don't have any suggestions.

Top Bottom