• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War has a ~60GB download on PC

Fliesen

It's kind of sad because I'm pretty sure the only people who care about a game's FILE SIZE are:

1) Americans
2) People who live in places with little access to the internet

In Asia and Europe nobody cares. It's amazing how one of the wealthiest nations on the planet is like 10 years behind everyone else.

I had 100mb uncapped fiber internet in Hong Kong for 30USD a month -- that was the CHEAPEST plan. I could have gone gigabit EASILY.

Since moving back to NYC I'm lucky to have gigabit with no caps for about 70USD a month.

The USA is a joke when it comes to internet.

I don't think it's on the developers and I don't think this is a problem they need to address. It just sucks for people who have shitty American ISPs.

Instead of bitching at developers people should be bitching at their draconian ISPs.

Speak for yourself. Sure, i don't care about the download size - i do, however, care about the install size. There's plenty of people sporting 250 gig SSDs as their system- and "games that i want to load fast"-drive.
Shadow of War + Windows 10 would already consume pretty much half the capacity of said drive.
(edit: Shadow of War + Gears of War 4 all but fill it up)

If games' download sizes get out of hand, well, then i'll just have to wait a bit longer.
If games' install sizes get out of hand, i'd be forced to buy a new SSD drive.

Of course, i also sympathize with those limited by a data cap, additionally.

Roshin

Honestly? If it can't be done, just put simpler cutscenes in your game, or just less of them.
Because fuck it if I care about wasting 50 GB in shitty cinematics.

They will need to sell a lot more lootboxes to afford such a miracle of technology. :D

erawsd

I guess that's the nail in the coffin for me.
97GB it's insane.

We're probably going to get there eventually, but i'm not ready for it, yet (and certainly not for this game).

Yeah, same here. Despite everything else I was willing to give the game a shot but I'm not going to give up that much of my bandwidth budget, especially not this month, and especially not for 4k bullshit i wont even benefit from.

PantsuJo

A lot of ISP are draconian, especially in EU, I agree, but this is only part of the problem.

Anyway, if this will remain the trend, I predict a slower, stealth return of phisical editions of PC games (I mean, for *every* game monthly released, apart for indies).
With DVD/BluRays included, of course.

bchan555

A lot of ISP are draconian, especially in EU, I agree, but this is only part of the problem.

Anyway, if this will remain the trend, I predict a slower, stealth return of phisical editions of PC games (I mean, for *every* game monthly released, apart for indies).
With DVD/BluRays included, of course.

This is still common in Hong Kong. Many games still get official boxed PC releases, which are nothing more than a steam code + DVDs containing the install data for the game.

Speak for yourself. Sure, i don't care about the download size - i do, however, care about the install size. There's plenty of people sporting 250 gig SSDs as their system- and "games that i want to load fast"-drive.
Shadow of War + Windows 10 would already consume pretty much half the capacity of said drive.
(edit: Shadow of War + Gears of War 4 all but fill it up)

If games' download sizes get out of hand, well, then i'll just have to wait a bit longer.
If games' install sizes get out of hand, i'd be forced to buy a new SSD drive.

Of course, i also sympathize with those limited by a data cap, additionally.

I feel like 250GB SSDs were the standard a few years ago, but prices have fallen and 500gbs are easy to obtain. I keep OS + work programs on my 250gb but have another 500gb for games. Even when I didn't have the 500gb I fell back to using a normal HDD or just swapped my games out from time to time.

I get storage can be an issue but I feel it's not a really big one.

Storage on consoles...now that's a pain in the ass.

Fliesen

I feel like 250GB SSDs were the standard a few years ago, but prices have fallen and 500gbs are easy to obtain. I keep OS + work programs on my 250gb but have another 500gb for games. Even when I didn't have the 500gb I fell back to using a normal HDD or just swapped my games out from time to time.

I get storage can be an issue but I feel it's not a really big one.

Storage on consoles...now that's a pain in the ass.

Sure, none of it - individually - is a huge issue.
And yes, 250gb SSDs were the standard a few years ago, when most of us upgraded - and prices have fallen. But i don't see why people should feel the need to invest over $120(!) to upgrade their PC just because some game's publishers / developers don't seem to feel the need to optimize their game's file sizes.

And even then, the 500gig won't hold much more than 4 games of that size. That is - imho - unacceptable and definitely a trend that needs to be critisized instead of just saying "i pity those with data caps, and 'just buy a bigger SSD and learn to juggle your game library, yo"

For the longest time PC gamers wanted highest resolution textures, uncompressed audio and video in their games, they argued that PCs aren't limited in a same way consoles are. Now they got it but complain about install size. Well, this is what current gen high quality uncompressed assets look like on your HDD. That stuff takes a whole lot of space

UrbanRats

Yeah, same here. Despite everything else I was willing to give the game a shot but I'm not going to give up that much of my bandwidth budget, especially not this month, and especially not for 4k bullshit i wont even benefit from.

I have no data cap, but my internet is fairly slow (it'd take me days of constant download) and, especially, my games dedicated hard drive is only 1TB, i can't dedicate a 10th of that to Mordor.

I don't know, maybe in the future i'll change my mind, and by then the game will be super cheap, so win-win.

daxy

Can these guys do nothing right? It's getting a bit absurd already.

Does someone have a summary of their fuckups?

Shelob
The charity donations
Lootboxes
The tedious grind for the true ending
100 gig install
???

bchan555

Sure, none of it - individually - is a huge issue.
And yes, 250gb SSDs were the standard a few years ago, when most of us upgraded - and prices have fallen. But i don't see why people should feel the need to invest over $120(!) to upgrade their PC just because some game's publishers / developers don't seem to feel the need to optimize their game's file sizes.

And even then, the 500gig won't hold much more than 4 games of that size. That is - imho - unacceptable and definitely a trend that needs to be critisized instead of just saying "i pity those with data caps, and 'just buy a bigger SSD and learn to juggle your game library, yo"

Growing game sizes isn't really anything new. Growing hard drive sizes isn't really anything new either.

I feel like people just got really comfortable because PS3/360 games were the norm for so long and so naturally PC ports weren't very large either.

Now we've reached a new level and people have growing pains. Especially with the advent of true 4k gaming on the horizon I bet we'll look back at the Shadow of War size one day and laugh about how some people thought it was ludicrously big.

For the longest time PC gamers wanted highest resolution textures, uncompressed audio and video in their games, they argued that PCs aren't limited in a same way consoles are. Now they got it but complain about install size. Well, this is what current gen high quality uncompressed assets look like on your HDD. That stuff takes a whole lot of space

Yep.

Please see this hilarious snippet from the steam forums circa 2013:

To the Developer I ask this question. How can this game be 18 GB in size?
This is totally unrealistic. This game should not be more than 10 GB. Dear Game Developer, please explain to us why this game is so big and does it have to be that big? Steam says download is 8GB but its actually 18 GB. Unreal. And yes I am super♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ One freaking folder called Terrains is 15 GB. This is unacceptable game developer. Can you patch this up and decrease the size a little bit. Thanks. Games like BF3 is like 34 GB but its a big game and textures are huge. So is rage and Crysis 3 but even Crysis 3 is 14 GB and its a big game. So again, how can this game be so big in size. I hope more people will voice their opinion regarding this issue.

Original link here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/215530/discussions/0/864973760917718554/

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Blu Ray already obsolete for storage purposes.

As someone who hasn't bought a physical PC game in a decade, you just brought to my attention that a lot PC physical releases these days come with no disc at all (MA:A, D2, SWBF2, COD:WW2) only a download code. I Didn't realize how old I've gotten.

That being said, Amazon doesn't even have a physical PC sku for this game listed at all.

Ushay

It's kind of sad because I'm pretty sure the only people who care about a game's FILE SIZE are:

1) Americans
2) People who live in places with little access to the internet

In Asia and Europe nobody cares. It's amazing how one of the wealthiest nations on the planet is like 10 years behind everyone else.

I had 100mb uncapped fiber internet in Hong Kong for 30USD a month -- that was the CHEAPEST plan. I could have gone gigabit EASILY.

Since moving back to NYC I'm lucky to have gigabit with no caps for about 70USD a month.

The USA is a joke when it comes to internet.

I don't think it's on the developers and I don't think this is a problem they need to address. It just sucks for people who have shitty American ISPs.

Instead of bitching at developers people should be bitching at their draconian ISPs.

I absolutely agree here. Your ISPs are letting you down guys.

Blame devs for loot boxes, sure makes sense. But file size? This increase was an inevitable thing.

Besides, won't this game get a PC physical copy?

Hah!

No. Please, both the download time for that and the sheer space it would take up (almost double the current largest program install I've got at the moment) make this ridiculous.

The number of people with like 10Tb hard drives desperate to see all these scenes in their uncompressed 'glory' is surely far fewer than the number already having to make regular decisions about what to keep installed or heaving to deal with slow ISP bs or data caps.

WB need to get a fucking clue.

daxy

I absolutely agree here. Your ISPs are letting you down guys.

Blame devs for loot boxes, sure makes sense. But file size? This increase was an inevitable thing.

Besides, won't this game get a PC physical copy?

Steam games have for a long time been either a voucher in the box or a couple of the initial gigs of the game and then you need to download the rest. I'm gonna guess it's the latter for SoM.

I don't have a data cap and have reasonably quick internet. I just don't want this game to hog most of my 500 GB SSD. I have other games that I play as well...

bchan555

Hah!

No. Please, both the download time for that and the sheer space it would take up (almost double the current largest program install I've got at the moment) make this ridiculous.

The number of people with like 10Tb hard drives desperate to see all these scenes in their uncompressed 'glory' is surely far fewer than the number already having to make regular decisions about what to keep installed or heaving to deal with slow ISP bs or data caps.

WB need to get a fucking clue.

I hate to break it to you, but this isn't a WB thing. You can expect more and more graphically intensive titles from many titles start to grow to similar sizes. This is the new incoming tier for game size.

Even if companies try to compress/reduce, eventually you will hit a point where slow ISP bs / data caps will stop you from being able to play games. The growth in game size/demands of a digital future are outstripping the shitty plans ISPs sell you.

10 years of last-gen stagnation have made people forget that the internet infrastructure needs to move forward too. Honestly it hasn't improved that much. Your ISP is the real killer. Just wait and see what happens if net neutrality gets pulled too.

liezryou

1/10 of my data cap, lol.

Same here, for once can game devs actually compress and encode videos properly? Or can cox not have a ridiculously low 1tb data cap? This plus the loot boxes moved this from a must buy day 0 into a buy in bargain bin when goty version.

Mr_Moogle

Shit like this is the reason I moved most of my games to my HDD. Doom was the last straw. It's a damned shame as I love those quick load times you get with an SSD.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Blu Ray already obsolete for storage purposes.
This is a unique case because of the unique way SoM handles npcs. Doesn't make the format obsolete.

Can these guys do nothing right? It's getting a bit absurd already.

Does someone have a summary of their fuckups?

Shelob
The charity donations
Lootboxes
The tedious grind for the true ending
100 gig install
???
Having uncompressed audio and 4K videos instead of 1080p video is not a fuck up. At worst, they could've made those separate downloads.

Gren

Hopefully. I'm not interested in games being limited to shitty US ISPs or because people won't delete games.

WTF? The "fuck you, got mine" attitude in this thread is disgusting. Guess whatever it takes so our precious gamemakers aren't inconvenienced, yes?

madjoki

I bought 500GB just two months ago and thought it would last few years.

100 GB download isn't problem really. should be five hours max.

Fuck games that compress videos to make them look shitty.

Speak for yourself.~ I think we should have the option to have the highest quality option audio possible that's within reason.

But, I think developers need to start giving us options to only install the audio of the language of our choosing. We don't need a dozen different audio language packs taking up drive space and bandwidth.

Steam does that, but it's up to devs to make game use it.

As for non-audio assets (4k video, textures), it could be in theory still be optional DLC, but be included in press keys by default.

nkarafo

They should also allow you to choose what languages you need before you download a game, at least in Europe. Depending on the game and how much dialog it has, it can shave off half of it's size.

And why not let you choose between compressed and uncompressed videos? Or SD/720/1080/4k? If pirates can do that i don't see why devs can't give you this option.

BT-727

Neo Member
Odd. Just finished downloading it on the Windows Store. 64.56GB. PS4 version was as the OP stated. There's an optional 4K cinematic pack of around 21.8GB for PS4 Pro too. The Xbox One version file size is similar to the Windows Store one.

Fbh

PC gamers, the normal ones that don't use stuff like "PC Master race" in an unironic way, have allways argued that one of the biggest strenghts of the platform is choice.
Unlike consoles where you get a fixed and pre defined product, PC is all about having the choice to adjust the experience the way you want.

So yeah, offering the option to not having to download tens of GB of 4K cutscenes if I don't care about them would be in line with what people want on PC

Guys, imagine this. In the future, all games will be digital. So when you want to play another game, you go to your impressive looking shelf to pick out the SSD containing the game you want. Wouldn't that be amazing? I think I will start a business that'll print custom game labels for people's SSD, so they will know what game is in there, and it'll make their SSDs look nice.

Reminds me of the last Wolfenstein, which required 10s of gigs of 'Megatextures' that in reality looked like low-res garbage at any resolution.

God, I hope they've changed that up for the sequel. The models were great but the levels were shocking. *And* massive data hogs.

This is a unique case because of the unique way SoM handles npcs. Doesn't make the format obsolete.

Having uncompressed audio and 4K videos instead of 1080p video is not a fuck up. At worst, they could've made those separate downloads.

If anything needs to make a comeback, it's installers that allow you to customise the extent of your installation. Microsoft is apparently pushing such in order to address the divide Xbox One and X, so it'd be nice to see that mindset translated back to the PC space.

As for the whole 'oh the internet is so much better in Europe and Asia' argument - in broadstrokes maybe, but you'll still find a lot of cases where people just have to make do with horrendously low speeds, because that's the infrastructure in place for them. Unfortunately, this sort of game is going to be off limits for at least a few of my friends until they either get a much more substantial income and can move, or their ISPs suddenly prove a lot more generous.

Fliesen

If anything needs to make a comeback, it's installers that allow you to customise the extent of your installation. Microsoft is apparently pushing such in order to address the divide Xbox One and X, so it'd be nice to see that mindset translated back to the PC space.

As for the whole 'oh the internet is so much better in Europe and Asia' argument - in broadstrokes maybe, but you'll still find a lot of cases where people just have to make do with horrendously low speeds, because that's the infrastructure in place for them. Unfortunately, this sort of game is going to be off limits for at least a few of my friends until they either get a much more substantial income and can move, or their ISPs suddenly prove a lot more generous.

yup. 4k assets (imho) should be a separate download / separate install
lYMGkDj.png

that's the number of Steam users with > 1080p monitors, according to the Steam Hardware survey. Not even 5%

I don't see any real downside to letting users choose - at the time of installation, or even download, which resolution they're going to be using.
Make "bleeding edge 4k content" an opt-in.

Top Bottom