• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War has a ~60GB download on PC

roytheone

My download speed would not be the problem for me, what will suck is the allocating disc space and the installing portion of the download. That always takes ages for me on steam, way longer than other services like origin for some reason.

NewGame

Banned
Lol same. This would take me like 3 or 5 hours for the whole thing.

YOU DISGUST ME WITH YOUR PRIVILEGE

australiaspeed.jpg

Ravelle

I'm glad I have 2 SSD's and a Terabyte disk but man, sizes are getting insane.

It's a bigger problem on consoles with their crappy download speed and limited hard disks.

Woffls

They are forcing people to download pre-rendered 4k video and 4k textures? Can anyone offer a technical explanation for why they can't offer free DLC for these assets on Steam? Consoles is probably a whole other thing but sucks just as much.

My connection is good and uncapped, but I'm still gonna wait for this train wreck of a game to hit a fiver.

Sky87

As a sidenote, has anyone received their key from CDKEYS yet? I'd like to get this preloaded and ready soon.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They are forcing people to download pre-rendered 4k video and 4k textures? Can anyone offer a technical explanation for why they can't offer free DLC for these assets on Steam?

That is possible and has actually been done by WB itself in the past:

Valve has always encouraged publishers to use language-specific data depots and, as you've noticed, they have the option of using DLC as a means to offer non-essential content as an optional download (case in point). Microsoft's approach isn't really any different but could be made a certification requirement and hence apply to all new releases going forward.

I'm not yet convinced that the game is a ~98GB download by default as the system requirements mention 70GB.

patientx

Played and %100'd the first one, very well made game. But, this time I'll wait till it drops to ~$10 and even then I'll try to get the game in smaller size.

ChryZ

Valve has always encouraged publishers to use language-specific data depots and, as you've noticed, they have the option of using DLC as a means to offer non-essential content as an optional download (case in point). Microsoft's approach isn't really any different but could be made a certification requirement and hence apply to all new releases going forward.
I wish they would downright enforce this, but not just for languages, HD textures and DLC. Having this option for SP and MP would be great. I'm looking at you DOOM 2016.

JaseC

I wish they would downright enforce this, but not just for languages, HD textures and DLC. Having this option for SP and MP would be great. I'm looking at you DOOM 2016.

I like the way Acti handles CoD these days (though not Modern Warfare Remastered for whatever reason): data specific to each game mode (SP, MP and Zombies) is attached to DLC apps, so if you're just after, say, the campaign, you can knock off several gigs.

shimon

Is it possible that the 4k textures will be a separate download? Didn't SoM had high res textures as a separate too? Correct me if I'm wrong.

JaseC

Is it possible that the 4k textures will be a separate download? Didn't SoM had high res textures as a separate too? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes and yes. With any luck, the pre-load will begin today, which should clear things up.

CloudWolf

As if I needed more reasons not to buy this one. Jesus christ.

Also, 60GB in 17 minutes? Dan Stapleton has some insanely fast internet.

It's kind of sad because I'm pretty sure the only people who care about a game's FILE SIZE are:

1) Americans
2) People who live in places with little access to the internet

In Asia and Europe nobody cares. It's amazing how one of the wealthiest nations on the planet is like 10 years behind everyone else.

I had 100mb uncapped fiber internet in Hong Kong for 30USD a month -- that was the CHEAPEST plan. I could have gone gigabit EASILY.

Since moving back to NYC I'm lucky to have gigabit with no caps for about 70USD a month.

The USA is a joke when it comes to internet.

I don't think it's on the developers and I don't think this is a problem they need to address. It just sucks for people who have shitty American ISPs.

Instead of bitching at developers people should be bitching at their draconian ISPs.
Do you have unlimited HDD/SSD space? Because that's why I'm personally concerned about these file sizes, not the download speed and/or data caps. If this keeps up in AAA-gaming, pretty soon you'll need 4TB hard drives just to hold more than ten games unless you constantly uninstall and install your games. That's insane.

Kazuhira

Still more reasonable than Nioh:CE being 100gb.
Most current AAA games are half of that size but this will become the norm soon due to 4k.
The only sensible solution is to make it optional for those who want it,just like SoM did.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
And people wonder why i still like physical media. Even the best UK broadband providers cant deal with this.

Took me a whole day to download R6 Siege on steam at 1.5 MB/s and that game is 40GB.

Was wondering whether to get this for PS4 or PC, PS4 it is.

Werd

At least I'd only have to download it once, unlike the aforementioned Gears 4 where the W10 store errors had me download it fully four times before it worked. I think it was only (!) ~70 gigs back at launch though.

Anyway I look forward to a distant future where we have options on installation... what quality level assets to download, split SP/MP, only the language I want, no DLC I don't own, etc. Which won't actually happen for I'm sure very practical reasons but massive installations do bother me. I have a lot of Steam games and like to keep things installed until I am sure I won't come back to try to finish some DLC, am 100% done with MP, etc. but if everything is 50 gigs it's too much space.

Nzyme32

Prove this.

Until it actually is accessible and you can see all the files, I can't jump on that conclusion yet.

Highly probable. The previous game did it's high resolution textures as a separate free dlc

Sentenza

Devs are losing the plot. This size isn't reasonable.
It's not even the size itself the problem, as far as I'm concerned.
You game is absolutely massive and has 200 hours of diversified content?
Fine, you're justified.

Your game is a 20-hours-long character action game with 70 GB of uncompressed 4K FMV?
Get the fuck out of here.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's not even the size itself the problem, as far as I'm concerned.
You game is absolutely massive and has 200 hours of diversified content?
Fine, you're justified.

Your game is a 20-hours-long character action game with 70 GB of uncompressed 4K FMV?
Get the fuck out of here.
You're forgetting about the ton of uncompressed audio for the uruks. Where're you getting the 70 GB of cinematics number from?

horkrux

Either they start putting fucking Blu-rays into those boxes or I might just quit PC gaming at some point. Downloading Forza was an ordeal, and I honestly don't know how much of this I can stomach if we start seeing this more often.
"Physical games? But I'm all digital, I haven't bought a physical PC game in 30 years. I don't even have a drive anymore LOL" - thank you people. You have a wonderful and constructive mindset that totally doesn't ruin my hobby.

EvB

You're forgetting about the ton of uncompressed audio for the uruks. Where're you getting the 70 GB of cinematics number from?

I don’t know what why the the word uncompressed is being used at all.
Do people really think that developers just do this for the lols?

You could always buy it on disc if you have a problem with so much of your monthly bandwidth being used.
Which is another thing.
Poor me my data cap, 100gb is 10th of my cap.
How many 100gb games are you downloading per month?!

bchan555

And people wonder why i still like physical media. Even the best UK broadband providers cant deal with this.

Took me a whole day to download R6 Siege on steam at 1.5 MB/s and that game is 40GB.

Was wondering whether to get this for PS4 or PC, PS4 it is.

I feel your pain but 1.5 MB/s is stone age. That's only like 10Mbps. I've had FREE internet that is around that speed. If some of the BEST UK broadband providers are only giving people 10Mbps then that's a joke.

I will never, ever, ever buy a game with such a large file size. It's ridiculous.

I'm sorry but once 4k gaming picks up even more looks like you'll never buy games again. =[

I can't believe that in 2017 we have people choosing not to play a game because of STORAGE SPACE. What is this, 80s computing? Did people expect games to be the same size forever? Time moves on. Tech moves on. There is no such thing as a 'reasonable' rate of size increase.

Sentenza

it was intended as a generic statement (like pretty much any comment I made in this thread).
At no point I ever suggested I'm talking specifically about this game.

BasilZero

Next thing you know it, WB will blame PC gamers for not wanting to buy this and it'll be another Mortal Kombat situation.

Where the heck did you get this number?

I misspoke on the 350, there was a point where it was 248, which was when I deleted it, I actually did a little bit of looking after I posted and found that the number was an error on The Coalitions part after a specific patch and they rectified at some point after I deleted the game.

Top Bottom