• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

Tagg9

No way to tell without seeing it. For the previous game, the "quality" mode didn't do very much...but the framerate was already more stable to start with. And this game has been expanded in many ways versus the prior title, so the mode may be enhanced as well.

Also, please note that I can't guarantee that the unstable footage I looked at was from an updated build. Further, the video was said to be from later in the game, so other portions (especially early on) may run better even if so. I have to be totally honest about the framerate issues I saw, but I encourage people not to make a sweeping decision about the entire lengthy game based solely on my analysis of 15 minutes of gameplay.

I played about 4 hours of the game on a PS4 Pro and didn't notice any frame drops myself (playing on the "Resolution" mode). Note that this was the very beginning of the game.

drotahorror

Do you not get XP for just killing anymore? I was running around killing shit at the beginning for a while and realized I wasn't getting XP. Is XP for killing unlocked later or never?

Fliesen

Does anyone know if this game supports HDR on the PS4 Pro? It isn’t mention in any of the reviews or previews. If not I’ll hold off till Xbox One X launches.

I just started playing on the Pro and it does have a HDR toggle. Can't tell you whether it's implemented to make a meaningful difference, as my TV doesn't properly support HDR.

Do you not get XP for just killing anymore? I was running around killing shit at the beginning for a while and realized I wasn't getting XP. Is XP for killing unlocked later or never?

I'm like five hours in and so far it's just for doing quests and killing captains.

drotahorror

I'm like five hours in and so far it's just for doing quests and killing captains.

Alright thanks. I knew something had made my XP move, it must have been captains. I guess that's good enough as long as XP isn't too hard to come by.

Also, not digging the use of towers in this game. Where you have to pinpoint an area for finding relics and whatnot. It's fine, but I don't like it.

carlsojo

Alright thanks. I knew something had made my XP move, it must have been captains. I guess that's good enough as long as XP isn't too hard to come by.

Also, not digging the use of towers in this game. Where you have to pinpoint an area for finding relics and whatnot. It's fine, but I don't like it.

Yeah captains and their missions (executions, etc.) are a huge exp source.

Don't like the tower pinpointing either tbh. My only complaint thus far.

Rowsdower

I've had the game since friday and put in around 35 hours (jesus), you guys are in for a treat. Still in Act 2, but already in my Top5 for the year.

Lots of cool nemesis story so far, favorite one: I stumble across this mystic assassin orc WAY above my level and it takes me around fifteen minutes to take him down using a graug, drakes, and lots of sappers that I can call in as a set bonus of an equipped legendary gear set. As I dominate him, naturally I cannot recruit him since his level is too high, so I shame him to level him down.

Next time I meet him: he ambushes me, only his level is even higher and he does this speech that he embraced my shaming and feels even prouder because of it (he has, at this point, my hand mark tattoed all across his body). So i beat him again and shame him again, and this time he becomes "deranged" and a blubbering idiot. Using SUPER shame, a special shaming skill aquired later, his level is supposed to go down drastically, but of course that doesn't happen and he becomes a "dangerous maniac" , an even stronger, but mentally impaired, version of himself.

Since then he ambushes me time and time again, blubbers unintelligible gibbberish, and fucks my world up. I love him.

Pheace

Runs pretty goddamn smooth on my PC after turning on Vsync.(Is Vsync frowned upon?)

~~~

So I started with the Nemesis difficulty, and it's haaard. Gotten killed by like 3 orcs already. Trying to get vengeance.

Not a worldwide release I assume? Thought it said it was 7PM here (9 hours from now)

Not a worldwide release I assume? Thought it said it was 7PM here (9 hours from now)

They kinda did a worldwide release at 4PM PST? On Steam atleast. it was weird. It went from being launched Tuesday Morning, to being launched...Monday afternoon.

There's sooooo much more variety in orcs and their personalities.

A random grunt orc killed me and he said he was a tark slayer and that became his title

and then I met him again and he was like 'you're a tark I'm the tark slayer do the math'

And then I fought him and he was like 'you're gonna get tired and then die'

and then I died

this game is great.

hbkdx12

Brad from Giantbomb wasn't kidding. Shit can get thick real quick.

Spent the past few hours grinding out the first area and i managed to get an orc named skak who got the first kill on me. He ridiculed me about being a tark slayer. He then got promoted to....Skak the Tark Slayer. Of course i went and got my revenge and just as i was about to kill him he made a quip about how he guesses i'm now the tark slayer, slayer which i thought was funny. He then proceeded to show up 3 more times since then which, with his latest appearance, i found less funny. Particularly because he's adapting to my attacks. I can't vault over him (even though he does attacks that prompt me to vault over him) and i can't cheese him like i've been doing with every other orc (including him) by stunning him then attacking because he just won't get stunned. Thankfully there were no other orcs around and my only recourse was to run to the top of one of the castle walls and do a aeriel attack of it which caused him to retreat.

Also had a pretty hectic moment where i went to take down a captain and then another captain mosey into the fray and i kill the first captain and then Skak shows up. The second captain downs me and (possible random occurrence spoiler)
i don't have a last stand and just as he's about to kill me, one of the castle soldiers jumps in and saves me which i thought was pretty badass and he seemed really pleased with himself and
then ANOTHER captain just shows up and i just get overwhelmed and get taken out.

I appreciate the spontaneous chaos that can occur but im hoping these kind of dog pilings aren't the norm and seem more exaggerated in the first area because the confines are smaller.

Pheace

They kinda did a worldwide release at 4PM PST? On Steam atleast. it was weird. It went from being launched Tuesday Morning, to being launched...Monday afternoon.

What? Misleading bastards xD

Oh well... at best it would've prevented me from sleeping before work I guess. Looking forward to coming getting back from work today :D

just got my copy! Kinda pumped. How's the difficulty? I remember basically never dying in the first game, which meant that I never really got to use the nemesis thing.

Phloxy

Is their no 4k cinematics pack for the Windows 10 store version? I got it for the cross save on the Xbox but it isn't available.

Fliesen

I feel like they introduced that "pinpointing" thing when people were raving about Breath of the Wild making you "spot and mark" the points of interest by yourself, instead of them just popping up on the minimap.

But since the points of interest don't really stand out visually, they had to use this weird dowsing mechanic - which both misses the point, but is also somewhat cumbersome.

How do you tell if your xbox has downloaded the 4k assets for One X?

I've done the LB+RB+View button thing... but I can't tell which one is the information I'm looking for.

I see. Yeah, I've already done that but I'd like to mark the grunts as well as some of them are actively patrolling the are. I'm not too good at stealth games like this.

So long as you don't sprint, you don't break wraith vision, so you can keep it up while you move to be sure you don't walk around a corner right into a bad guy's face. And if you do... You have a short window to do a stealth takedown after you're spotted before they broadcast your location. Alternatively, if you have arrows and focus, you can get a charged headshot off and they won't broadcast.

Sorry if this is all shit you already know.

Fliesen

btw, the WBPlay signup for the 3% xp boost does accept disposable email adresses.

I used a mailinator.com email and while it took like 3 minutes to "register", it registered fine.
(though that mailbox didn't get any kind of confirmation / first wave of WB spam yet)

I don't know where the bonus would show up, though.

FiraB

Banned
The first area feels very much like the first game and then act 2 is like, oh wait you thought that was the fun part, pfft heres the real game.

Didnt expect that.

Poona

I will be getting this but I think I have to put the purchase off. Seeing as the X version is supposedly the best version I have to wait until the console launches. If I bought it now it'd mean I'd be playing on the One S and that'd be annoying as then my PS4 Pro would have a better version and I could have purchased it there.

Lucifon

I will be getting this but I think I have to put the purchase off. Seeing as the X version is supposedly the best version I have to wait until the console launches. If I bought it now it'd mean I'd be playing on the One S and that'd be annoying as then my PS4 Pro would have a better version and I could have purchased it there.

It looks great on the S, especially with HDR. Can't wait to see it on the X but honestly I think you'll be happy with how it looks right now. The game seems massive and it sounds like the DLC is going to add a whole new area, so there's a good chance you'll still be playing when the X hits or wanting to return.

I understand your feeling though! I've been battling with what to play now and what to wait.

TikeMyson

The first Orc that killed me was really proud of killing me and called himself tark slayer... I thought thats pretty cool and unique. Now I read the OT and I have to read thatthe exact same thing happened to two other people.

The first Orc that killed me was really proud of killing me and called himself tark slayer... I thought thats pretty cool and unique. Now I read the OT and I have to read thatthe exact same thing happened to two other people.

I think early game encounters are scripted in a way to show you the cool stuff.

drotahorror

I feel like they introduced that "pinpointing" thing when people were raving about Breath of the Wild making you "spot and mark" the points of interest by yourself, instead of them just popping up on the minimap.

But since the points of interest don't really stand out visually, they had to use this weird dowsing mechanic - which both misses the point, but is also somewhat cumbersome.

Good point, I forgot about that. It was sort of fun in BotW because you were actually discovering things and not being told where they were. Or you might see something weird and mark it.

N7.Angel

You thought you were the one child ? we all thought that...

drotahorror

Pretty lame that if you die your loot disappears. I think in SoM it stayed there and you could run and pick it back up. I'm fighting like 4 maybe it was 5 captains at once, I killed 4 and died on the fifth one. All my loot gone, couldn't grab it cuz I was fighting. Very lame.

Also, fire hurting you is awful. No more luring a pile of orcs to a barrel and blowing it up without taking atleast 25% of your life.

Lucifon

Pretty lame that if you die your loot disappears. I think in SoM it stayed there and you could run and pick it back up. I'm fighting like 4 maybe it was 5 captains at once, I killed 4 and died on the fifth one. All my loot gone, couldn't grab it cuz I was fighting. Very lame.

Also, fire hurting you is awful. No more luring a pile of orcs to a barrel and blowing it up without taking atleast 25% of your life.

Huh, the loot stays for me after death. Also SoM didn't have loot.

faer0n

Just got to a point where my nemesis from the first game showed up and I've got to say, its really well done... It's also making me immediately regret making such a powerful nemesis. Was never able to beat him in shadow of mordor thanks to him being immune to everything but fire and enraging any time he got even slightly hurt; plus having fire weapons, increased damage, and No Chance. Really fun seeing him again though.
Is this some kind of event or at least a note that this was your old nemesis. I doubt I could remember mine

Skade

There's the exact same system in Mad Max. And it was before BoTW.

So no, they indeed lifted the system from another game. But i doubt Zelda is the one since Mad Max is a WB game.

Brad from Giantbomb wasn't kidding. Shit can get thick real quick.

Spent the past few hours grinding out the first area and i managed to get an orc named skak who got the first kill on me. He ridiculed me about being a tark slayer. He then got promoted to....Skak the Tark Slayer. Of course i went and got my revenge and just as i was about to kill him he made a quip about how he guesses i'm now the tark slayer, slayer which i thought was funny. He then proceeded to show up 3 more times since then which, with his latest appearance, i found less funny. Particularly because he's adapting to my attacks. I can't vault over him (even though he does attacks that prompt me to vault over him) and i can't cheese him like i've been doing with every other orc (including him) by stunning him then attacking because he just won't get stunned. Thankfully there were no other orcs around and my only recourse was to run to the top of one of the castle walls and do a aeriel attack of it which caused him to retreat.

Also had a pretty hectic moment where i went to take down a captain and then another captain mosey into the fray and i kill the first captain and then Skak shows up. The second captain downs me and (possible random occurrence spoiler)
i don't have a last stand and just as he's about to kill me, one of the castle soldiers jumps in and saves me which i thought was pretty badass and he seemed really pleased with himself and
then ANOTHER captain just shows up and i just get overwhelmed and get taken out.

I appreciate the spontaneous chaos that can occur but im hoping these kind of dog pilings aren't the norm and seem more exaggerated in the first area because the confines are smaller.

That honestly sounds more of a positive than a negative experience with how the game is supposed to be dynamic.

Games cant be dynamic and exciting if every situation it throws at you is an easy win. Sometimes you gotta get fucked over.

SomTervo

Reading reviews, the changes to the combat system sound very on-point.

With the original they definitely aped Batman: Arkham too much and you could feel it, so pulling away from combo-focused gameplay into more typical hack and slash territory is a very clever move.

I've had the game since friday and put in around 35 hours (jesus), you guys are in for a treat. Still in Act 2, but already in my Top5 for the year.

Lots of cool nemesis story so far, favorite one: I stumble across this mystic assassin orc WAY above my level and it takes me around fifteen minutes to take him down using a graug, drakes, and lots of sappers that I can call in as a set bonus of an equipped legendary gear set. As I dominate him, naturally I cannot recruit him since his level is too high, so I shame him to level him down.

Next time I meet him: he ambushes me, only his level is even higher and he does this speech that he embraced my shaming and feels even prouder because of it (he has, at this point, my hand mark tattoed all across his body). So i beat him again and shame him again, and this time he becomes "deranged" and a blubbering idiot. Using SUPER shame, a special shaming skill aquired later, his level is supposed to go down drastically, but of course that doesn't happen and he becomes a "dangerous maniac" , an even stronger, but mentally impaired, version of himself.

Since then he ambushes me time and time again, blubbers unintelligible gibbberish, and fucks my world up. I love him.

Fuck it.

Sold.

liezryou

Just got to a point where my nemesis from the first game showed up and I've got to say, its really well done... It's also making me immediately regret making such a powerful nemesis. Was never able to beat him in shadow of mordor thanks to him being immune to everything but fire and enraging any time he got even slightly hurt; plus having fire weapons, increased damage, and No Chance. Really fun seeing him again though.

Yeah even though I played mordor years ago seeing my nemesis instantly brought back memories... I then Proceeded to lop his head off swiftly.

Runs pretty goddamn smooth on my PC after turning on Vsync.(Is Vsync frowned upon?)

~~~

So I started with the Nemesis difficulty, and it's haaard. Gotten killed by like 3 orcs already. Trying to get vengeance.

Yeah the nemesis difficulty got me killed a few times at the start but the more you get used to figuring out weakness and abusing them it gets easier. I feel like the normal difficulty wouldn't do the game justice and would be too easy.

Just started playing and its just what I wanted. Also the first area you get swamped so god damn fast by captains.
Bought the gold edition, not sure if I should open the gold chest or not…

Top Bottom