• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

Tovarisc

Are Shelob memories broken on PC? Every time I complete one it acts like there's going to be a cutscene, it will show something for a second or two, then the audio will pop and it goes back to gameplay.

Do you have 4k video pack installed? Apparently there is some cutscenes that are broken in that pack.

Are Shelob memories broken on PC? Every time I complete one it acts like there's going to be a cutscene, it will show something for a second or two, then the audio will pop and it goes back to gameplay.

I have this on PS4 - just a glimpse of a cut scene and then it slams you back into the world.

mjc

Waiting for a sale on this one, just not quite happy with the loot box implementation to buy it day one.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is this a known thing ? Might be, sorry not keeping up with this topic.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...pack/cid=UP1018-CUSA04408_00-KRAKENXHDCINEMAT

4K cinematic pack for free download for PS4 Pro owners. 23.4 GB.

Quick and dirty Pro comparison:
Favour Resolution
3ta3ZI8.jpg

Favour Quality
bgTurT7.jpg

The game looks stunning in motion by the way.

The resolution difference is noticeable and is probably the easier choice IMO. But the image quality doesn't look as sharp as the first game, maybe the dynamic scaling is more aggressive than the first game which stuck mostly to native 4k.

Pastry

Banned
I feel bad waiting to see what Black Friday sales look like but with Wolfenstein and Mario coming out this month I don’t think my girlfriend would be happy if I bought this too. Maybe I’ll ask for it as a Christmas present, I was pleasantly surprised with the first one.

Love the OT title. Thank god the other one was not used at all. Just doubling down on toxic stuff on the thread title that is supposed to be about the game you are in to talk about is just stupid and inflammatory for no reason.

Can't wait to play the game when I get my XOX.

shmoglish

Not a fan of the first game, but I have a few N3Ds games that I dont plan to play and can trade them via the 9,99€ at gamestop. May be a nice game for the holidays

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
Could anyone with a regular X1S give some thoughts on image quality? Desperately trying to convince myself NOT to wait for my X1X to play this game, but the graphics hound in me is winning out.

I must have lived in a cave or something, but are 12 gig RAM a requirement these days for PC AAA games?

I thought 16GB was the new 8GB a year or two ago, but I can't back that up with benchmarks.

I asked in the perf thread, but just checking here too - the hi res textures on steam need 8GB VRAM, so I should avoid them on a 6GB 980ti right?

faridmon

I thought 16GB was the new 8GB a year or two ago, but I can't back that up with benchmarks.

I asked in the perf thread, but just checking here too - the hi res textures on steam need 8GB VRAM, so I should avoid them on a 6GB 980ti right?

I'd say 16 GB is a requirement but 12GB seems pretty standard these days.

16GB has been go-to install amount of RAM for several years now, no?

Thanks.

Guess, I need to invest in RAM then.

Fliesen

Could anyone with a regular X1S give some thoughts on image quality? Desperately trying to convince myself NOT to wait for my X1X to play this game, but the graphics hound in me is winning out.

So, you got an Xbox One X pre-ordered AND you have a 4k TV? I'd definitely wait for the One X, seeing as this game will be one of the few 'launch' titles that showcase the power of your new hardware.
Unless you're really starving for something to play right now, i'd definitely recommend you wait.

MJLord

Can you still chop a nemesis' head off and have him come back with stitch marks on their neck? I almost died laughing when that happened to me in the first game.

Can you still chop a nemesis' head off and have him come back with stitch marks on their neck? I almost died laughing when that happened to me in the first game.

Confirmed. Mozu the Survivor currently has his entire head wrapped in steel and bolts but he's still chugging along.

black070

Is this a known thing ? Might be, sorry not keeping up with this topic.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...pack/cid=UP1018-CUSA04408_00-KRAKENXHDCINEMAT

4K cinematic pack for free download for PS4 Pro owners. 23.4 GB.

Oh wow, downloading this now ! Does it only effect the cinematics ?

The resolution difference is noticeable and is probably the easier choice IMO. But the image quality doesn't look as sharp as the first game, maybe the dynamic scaling is more aggressive than the first game which stuck mostly to native 4k.

Liabe has said it lingers more on the 1620-1800p range, which is still a tangible difference and looks great on a 4K display.

Karamsoul

Love the OT title. Thank god the other one was not used at all. Just doubling down on toxic stuff on the thread title that is supposed to be about the game you are in to talk about is just stupid and inflammatory for no reason.

Can't wait to play the game when I get my XOX.

What was the previous OT title?

Nester99

None of my Shelob memory cut scenes work, litteraly the most interesting lore part of the game. They only last 1 sec then shut off. On ps4pro. Anyone else?

mephixto

Banned
None of my Shelob memory cut scenes work, litteraly the most interesting lore part of the game. They only last 1 sec then shut off. On ps4pro. Anyone else?

I think thats how it works? Probably you get the full cinematic once completed her quest line. I'm on PC btw.

Maximus P

Only done one on X1s and the game just flashed a quick picture before going back to the game. I thought it was intentional and you had to get them all for the full scene?

Maximus P

Doesn't look too great tbh,it isn't the best looking game out there,the lighting especially is pretty poor from what I've played so far.

I also plan to get the X1X so I will have both consoles to compare when the time comes.

Maybe, uh, level up a little bit before you fight your first war chief. I had a rough go of it.

The memories are fragments of a longer cut scene. You're supposed to collect all of them to complete it.

Fliesen

I don't have a link to download this via that link - would it have auto downloaded if I have a pro?

i don't think so, i had to manually start the download.

Seeing as there's people who have a PS4 pro output to a 1080p TV, i suppose making the 26gig download an opt-in is the more reasonable course.

rpcdrag0n

i don't think so, i had to manually start the download.

Seeing as there's people who have a PS4 pro output to a 1080p TV, i suppose making the 26gig download an opt-in is the more reasonable course.

Yeah fair point - hmm I will need to look on the console later as I've no manual link on the website.

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
So, you got an Xbox One X pre-ordered AND you have a 4k TV? I'd definitely wait for the One X, seeing as this game will be one of the few 'launch' titles that showcase the power of your new hardware.
Unless you're really starving for something to play right now, i'd definitely recommend you wait.

I do, yeah. Ok...your input and the other guy lower in the thread seem to confirm it doesn't look or run particularly well on the base hardware. I do have plenty to play right now, I was more worried about having TOO much to play for the X1X launch - Shadow of War, AC: Origins, COD: WW2, Wolf 2, etc!

This seemed like a good game to play first, but I really do want to get the most out of the X1X since it is so damn close!

oti

Banned

Wait. You already have the Xbox X pre-ordered and the TV to use it. This game's story seems to be its weakest part so who cares about maybe getting spoiled. Wait it out. I'm sure you won't regret it.

Oh man one assassin orc keeps ambushing me when I try to kill other captains, screws me over each god damn time. When I finally get to kill him he smoke bombs away and laughs at me! Fucker is going down. He even kicked me off a building into a pile of orcs…

Killed a normal Captain and he ended up coming back as a Legendary one...he killed me the first time we fought but I got him back during a Vendetta Mission

He dropped a Legendary Bow that has a 28% chance to light enemies on fire from headshots and it explodes an enemy's head on a fully charged shot...I like it

---

Also had another Vendetta mission where the Captain was terrified of the flies and weak to fire...so I shot down the flies to terrify him and then Shadow Striked the fire he was beside to light him up and killed him with a couple more hits

Maximus P

How is the stealth in this game? Everything I see is more focusing on the fighting.

Ive still killed loads of people by stealth. There are also quite a few missions that require it such as 'kill 10 archers without being seen'.

Not unlocked many stealth focused abilities, but what I've seen so far is good.

How is the stealth in this game? Everything I see is more focusing on the fighting.

The mechanism of it is really simple but adds a lot to the game. Enemies have 3 levels of indication of notice: nothing - they are blind to you, yellow they notice something, red they see you. You can run out of view and normal enemies give up the chase, some don't.
Stealth is key to getting around. Not stealthing on nemesis difficulty got me killed many times. Some captains can be insta killed with stealth strikes as well.

Adryuu

How do animations and environments compare to those on the first game? By footage I've got the impression that it's way more janky and monochrome and generally ugly or uninspired.

Also, how is performance on standard ps4?

How do animations and environments compare to those on the first game? By footage I've got the impression that it's way more janky and monochrome and generally ugly or uninspired.

Also, how is performance on standard ps4?

Environments are much more varied and colorful than the original. It's not Splatoon or anything but it certainly isn't as dull and brown as SoM.

Top Bottom