• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
meshadowofmordorsysredoac8.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
ComputerBase (German; launch build)
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
Guru3D (English; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)
Tech PowerUp (English; launch build)

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Fix RTSS OSD not displaying: Update RTSS to v7.0.0 Beta 30 or higher. See "Cap the framerate ..." above for a link to the latest version. (Credit to Unwinder @ Guru3D via dr_rus.)
Enable HDR: Enable HDR within Windows' display settings. (Credit to Feenixx7 @ Steam Community via Duchess O'Death.) Confirmation that the game is running in HDR mode can be found in Options -> Display -> Game Brightness. (Credit to FlibbertiGibbet.)
Move the game to the correct display: Switched to windowed mode, move the game to your desired screen and change back to your preferred display mode. (Credit to Sumcha @ WB Games Community via telasoman.)
Skip intro videos: Replace the files in SteamApps\common\ShadowOfWar\game\interface\videos\legal with these zero-byte versions.
Fix poor performance on Ryzen-based systems running Windows 10: Either wait for the Fall Creators Update or install it today by opting into the Windows Insider Program. (Credit to Froz3n.)
Adjust the field of view: Download the aptly-named ME:SoW FOV Changer. (Credit to anteronoid and Seikur0 @ WSGF via b0uncyfr0.)
Fix the High Resolution Texture Pack and 4K Cinematic Pack downloads not initialising: Click here to install the former and here to install the latter. The installation window that appears can be dismissed as it's superfluous and non-functional.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Display mode: Fullscreen; Windowed; Borderless; Maximized
Scaled resolution: 0.25x; 0.28x; 0.36x; 0.44x; 0.51x; 0.69x; 1.00x; 1.14x; 1.44x; 1.78x; 2.25x; 2.78x; 3.36x; 4.00x; 4.55x; 5.44x; 7.11x; 9.00x; 11.11x; 13.44x; 16.00x; 18.20x; 64.00x; 72.82x;
Display adapter: Self-explanatory
Game brightness: Self-explanatory
Display area setting: Self-explanatory
Vertical sync: Off; Full; Half
Dynamic resolution (target framerate): Off; 30fps; 36fps; 40fps; 45fps; 48fps; 54fps; 60fps; 72fps; 80fps; 90fps; 96fps; 108fps; 120fps; 144fps; 160fps; 180fps; 240fps
Max FPS: No limit; 30fps; 36fps; 40fps; 45fps; 48fps; 54fps; 60fps; 72fps; 80fps; 90fps; 96fps; 108fps; 120fps; 144fps; 160fps; 180fps; 240fps

Auto config: Self-explanatory
Graphical quality (preset): Custom; Lowest; Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Lighting quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Mesh quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Motion blur: Off/On
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA only; TAA
Shadow quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Texture filtering: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Texture quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra

Ambient occlusion: Off; Low; Medium; High
Vegetation range: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Depth of field: Off/On
Tessellation: Off/On
Large page mode: Off/On
Benchmark: Self-explanatory

Game is running really great for me so far. About 2 hours in, most of which wasn't even spent doing quests but just running around the first open area hunting down objectives and orcs.

Getting between 55-90 fps at 3440x1440 (no dynamic res) depending on number of enemies on screen, running everything at max except for Shadows on high.

GTX 1080
i5 4670k
32gb RAM
Installed on an HDD

Had a bit of a tough time trying to improve frametimes though. Tried using both the in-game FPS limiter and RTSS set to 60, but both had pretty constant fluctuations from 16.67 ms. In the end I set it back to a 96 cap in-game and that felt the best on my Gsync display.

WOW.
The 4K cinematics look AMAZING. I am so happy a dev took the time to make our 1080 ti purchases worth it. The game looks and runs amazing. Feels next-gen to me.

Benchmark: 55fps
I7 7700k
16gb ram
GTX 1080ti

100GB doesn't bother me one bit. Worth it 100%

Grubs

Neo Member
WOW.
The 4K cinematics look AMAZING. I am so happy a dev took the time to make our 1080 ti purchases worth it. The game looks and runs amazing. Feels next-gen to me.

Benchmark: 55fps
I7 7700k
16gb ram
GTX 1080ti

100GB doesn't bother me one bit. Worth it 100%

Nice. Cant wait to play in 4k! How does it,compare to say witcher 3 in terms of picture quality?

Phloxy

And I'm guessing without having the Steam version I'm screwed on 4k cinematics and stuff because I don't see it anywhere.

I have a gtx980 ti and the game keeps crashing over and over after about 10 or so minutes... the error I get is something along the lines of “the gpu will not respond to more commands, most likely because of an invalid command passed by the calling application”.

Anybody else have this/have a solution? I have today’s nvidia drivers... this is extremely frustrating, I’ve never seen an issue like this before.

Since this is up copy and pasting my post from the game size topic.
Haven't done anything aside from look at the settings and run the benchmark. Going by the benchmark it's not that far off from the first game on my PC, we'll see how it actually runs in game though. Everything I could put on Ultra except textures and TAA on but only 1080p with my 1070 running at 2.1GHz and my old 2500k at 4.5GHz and 16GB of DDR3 at 1833Mhz.

GuSYSbt.jpg

Forgot to add that I do have it set on Windows Borderless I should test again in full screen. I've played a bit and holy crap the screen tearing was bad with the frame rate locked in RTSS at half my refresh rate (72fps). I had to go turn on VSync to get rid of it.

EDIT: I just ran the benchmark in full screen and again in borderless and they were pretty much the same, same averages and only tiny, insignificant differences in the highs and lows.

When I fiddled around with dynamic res in Death of the Outsider I felt like it wasn't working, like the setting was busted. Not sure if that's true or just my perception.

Hopefully this one works well.

jrcbandit

I'm having a weird issue. Ryzen 1700x and 1080 Ti, I get 42 fps no matter what settings I select, 4k or 1080p. When I play the game, it was a smooth 60 fps in intro until I reach the first City with the captain and I get 44-48 fps no matter what settings I try or resolution.

Eggiem

Issue with my AMD 280x: The fans start spinning really fast after 10 seconds while in game. They spin slower/normal again in menu. Nearly silent while playing Shadow of Mordor, PUBG, RS Siege, Dishonored 2, or Doom. Tried all presets. Nothing helps.

I'm having a weird issue. Ryzen 1700x and 1080 Ti, I get 42 fps no matter what settings I select, 4k or 1080p. When I play the game, it was a smooth 60 fps in intro until I reach the first City with the captain and I get 44-48 fps no matter what settings I try or resolution.

sounds like a CPU bottleneck.

Averaging 60-70fps on Ultra at 1440p on a i5-2500k @4.3Ghz and a 1070, really happy with the performance, no stuttering or anything, everything feels really smooth and responsive.

Maiorum

I can't seem to be able to turn on vsync- I select the vsync option, and the only option it has is "off". Turning it on in the Nvidia control panel doesn't work either. Any ideas?

Do you have to download the Ultra textures?

I'm not too sure about this either. I haven't downloaded the textures pack when I booted up the game for the first time earlier, but ultra settings are already available to choose for me even though there's an exclamation mark warning.

Captn

How is the cpu usage on this game ? Is it more multi threaded then the usual 1 or 2 cores being used at 100% ?

I have a 7820x and I'm wondering how much extra fps I would gain if there is gain whatsoever.

At least I have my trusty 1080 ti but Id really like to squeeze in that 60 fps at 4k if possible.

Thanks

Mifec

I'm not too sure about this either. I haven't downloaded the textures pack when I booted up the game for the first time earlier, but ultra settings are already available to choose for me even though there's an exclamation mark warning.

Yeah and when you click on it it tells you that you need to DL them.

Do you have to download the Ultra textures?

If you want to use the Ultra setting then yes.

Yeah and when you click on it it tells you that you need to DL them.

If you want to use the Ultra setting then yes.

I see. I thought it was a warning or it's not recommended for my PC. I guess that explains the game not looking so hot earlier.

I've downloaded them but I had to go to work. I'll check it later at home.

Mifec

I see. I thought it was a warning or it's not recommended for my PC. I guess that explains the game not looking so hot earlier.

I've downloaded them but I had to go to work. I'll check it later at home.

They eat up like 10 million GB of Vram, a 1080 @1440p isn't enough if unless you lower shadows.

J_Viper

1070/i5-7600k/16 RAM here

I can't get a solid 60 FPS unless I drop to High settings. Which is weird, because the game defaults to Ultra.

Not sure what's wrong here.

Bottlenecked on a 1700x already? Yeah, gonna go with no on that one champ.

It might be a bug with the game, or the game was not optimized for AMD hardware yet. If there is no difference between 4k and 1080p then there is clearly no GPU bottleneck. It has to be with your CPU and memory system or like I said a bug.

1070/i5-7600k/16 RAM here

I can't get a solid 60 FPS unless I drop to High settings. Which is weird, because the game defaults to Ultra.

Not sure what's wrong here.

Just play on high, then? In most games, there isn't a significant difference between the two.

Renekton

How is the cpu usage on this game ? Is it more multi threaded then the usual 1 or 2 cores being used at 100% ?

I have a 7820x and I'm wondering how much extra fps I would gain if there is gain whatsoever.

At least I have my trusty 1080 ti but Id really like to squeeze in that 60 fps at 4k if possible.

Thanks
Seeing the 1700 post above, I'm guessing it doesn't mulithread well for now.

I'm a big fan of games that allow specified Max FPS caps for G-Sync monitors. My Predator X34 loves it when games allow a max cap of 96 FPS.

I have a gtx980 ti and the game keeps crashing over and over after about 10 or so minutes... the error I get is something along the lines of “the gpu will not respond to more commands, most likely because of an invalid command passed by the calling application”.

Anybody else have this/have a solution? I have today’s nvidia drivers... this is extremely frustrating, I’ve never seen an issue like this before.

Is nobody having an issue with random crashing? I have DDU my drivers and installed the most recent. I have no idea what could be causing this as I have never seen a similar error, and cant really find much about this specific error on google... any thoughts?

Top Bottom