• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War PC performance thread

ISee

So much confusion what "4K assets/textures" are thx to the ridiculous Microsoft PR.
In general: Yes, you will profit from higher resolution textures even on 1080p displays. Using higher resolution textures is always recommend, if you have enough video memory to use them and doesn't influence performance in a significant way. The 4k prefix before textures is just a PR buzzword and only means that textures are a bit more detailed, sharp etc. and not that they can only be used on UHD displays. Would it make sense to use ultra detailed textures on a 480p output? Probably not, but 1080p and high Res textures go hand in hand, so far.

The same goes for the prerendered movies/cutscenes. Yes, you can watch them on full HD displays. They should result in a bit clearer and a bit more detailed picture. the difference might be rather minimal though.

Captn

So much confusion what "4K assets/textures" are thx to the ridiculous Microsoft PR.
In general: Yes, you will profit from higher resolution textures even on 1080p displays. Using higher resolution textures is always recommend, if you have enough video memory to use them and doesn't influence performance in a significant way. The 4k prefix before textures is just a PR buzzword and only means that textures are a bit more detailed, sharp etc. and not that they can only be used on UHD displays. Would it make sense to use ultra detailed textures on a 480p output? Probably not, but 1080p and high Res textures go hand in hand, so far.

The same goes for the prerendered movies/cutscenes. Yes, you can watch them on full HD displays. They should result in a bit clearer and a bit more detailed picture. Even on 1080p Screens, the difference here might be rather minimal though.

Yeah, that's what I thought also after reading a bit about that. I might just stick with native 1440P then and enjoy the higher fps compared to 4k upscale.

Thnx

Is the 4K cinematics worth it if you don't have a 4K monitor?

My simplistic answer and reasoning is this: 4K textures worth it, 4K cinematics not worth it.
Why? You can can see textures up close even if you are playing at 1080p (think of it as zooming in on the image). On the other hand cinematics are static and difference will be minimal.

Sky87

Are people with a 1070 having problems using 4k textures or is it running fine? VRAM requirement seems crazy and will put me at 8200mb, not sure if that will introduce stutter.

I'm using the 60fps option and a scaled 1440p resolution on a 1080p screen.

I'm not too sure about this either. I haven't downloaded the textures pack when I booted up the game for the first time earlier, but ultra settings are already available to choose for me even though there's an exclamation mark warning.

So I just got back at home and tried the freshly-installed textures pack. But the warning still shows up?
S9ongAe.jpg
Even before it's installed earlier today, I could already select the ultra quality textures. Have I actually installed the pack properly?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So I just got back at home and tried the freshly-installed textures pack. But the warning still shows up?

Even before it's installed earlier today, I could already select the ultra quality textures. Have I actually installed the pack properly?

That's just the description of the setting, not a warning.

jrcbandit

Yeah I turned that on and it's smooth as butter

Running Ryzen 5 1600 and benchmark gives me 90ish FPS, in game it's a smooth 60 fps.
What video card do you have? Wondering if it is a Ryzen + Nvidia issue. I had smooth 60 fps until I got to the city shortly after they introduce you to the bow.

Stygr

Banned
Monolith is always on point with the Pc version of their games, even Shadow of Mordor was well optimized on PC.

Ok, every 3-4 minutes it's auto alt-tabbing to desktop. I left the processes tab of task manager open and it's doing that when CPU is 100%. Anyone else?

liezryou

7600k, RX 480, 16GB RAM, 1080p. Been playing all day at mostly high settings at a pretty consistent 75 FPS (BTW why the fuck is the in game limiter only have a 72 and 80 option but not the common 75 fps... Fuck vsync input lag). It does dip every now and then but it's still buttery smooth for me because of freesync. My benchmark was 76 FPS at 1080p.

Also a side note, this game hasn't crashed a single time with my -48 mV undervolt. PUBG wasn't handling it at all and WoW had an occasional crash.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
Ok so installed the uhd textures but dont see a difference in visuals. Ultrawide display 2560 x 1080 dsr to 3440 x 1440p. Am i doing something wrong? Game runs beautifully tho. 65 to 75 fps 1080 ti.

FHIZ

Benchmark was at 99fps with a 1080ti/7700k/16gb 3200 at 1440p. Game runs so smoothly, really happy with it as my first new AAA title to test out my PC.

Eggiem

280x/i5 4670k. Game drops to 20fps even on low.
Edit: Its a bug. I opened the menu and the framerate tanked to 20fps. After restarting the game its 45fps on high. :/

nynt9

A few issues.

1- I have the 4k cinematic/texture DLC downloaded but they don't seem active. The cinematics look bad. I don't know how to activate them. When I look at the DLC tab in the game settings on steam, it says "not installed", but when I click "install" on them on the store it just starts up the game.

edit: It suddenly started downloading these out of nowhere, so scratch point 1.

2- Geforce experience is not registering the game, and when I'm in the game it says the game is not synced to my monitor refresh rate (I have a g-sync monitor)

3- As a result of 3, I have some annoying screen tearing. Using unlocked FPS and no v-sync, hoping that would make my monitor just force g-sync, but that doesn't seem to work.

Captn

Finally I have been able to try the game.

System:
I7 7820X
32 Gigs DDR4 @ 3467 mhz
Strix 1080ti
Win 10
Nvidia 385.69 (Did not update yet)
Asus PG279 1440P Gsync

Results of benchmarks : All settings maxed out - Dynamic Res Off & FPS No limit

2560x1440 (native)

3520x1980 dsr

3840x2160 dsr

Runs smooth obviously. Now for in game testing.

P.S anybody knows how to activate the page file option in game (Admin rights) ?

Thx

Sky87

For best visuals, I'm pretty sure you need to turn off the dynamic resolution FPS option. I got it set to 60fps and even when choosing a 4K scaled resolution it's still 63-64fps. I'm sure I noticed some blurryness once in a while, and it's probably the dynamic resolution lowering to keep it at 60fps. I'm going to disable the fps option later to see if visuals are more or less consistent.

For those who gave played the original, how does this fare? I found that I could run it very well.

It also looks very similar. I would have expected more of an upgrade visually.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
P.S anybody knows how to activate the page file option in game (Admin rights) ?

Thx

Navigate to SteamApps\common\ShadowOfWar\x64 -> right-click executable -> click "Run as administrator". I've never downloaded a UWP game, so I don't know if the setting is at all applicable to the WinStore version.

gdt

I’ll try HDR when I get home then. Also have to remember to update drivers. Hopefully squeeze out even better perf after that.

Shari

Well got a refund from HRK and got the game on cdkeys. Lost 8€ in the process for buying this late but got invaluable wisdom on why not buying on 2nd tier websites to save a couple of bucks. Never again.

I'm set for tonight! HYPE!

Captn

Navigate to SteamApps\common\ShadowOfWar\x64 -> right-click executable -> click "Run as administrator". I've never downloaded a UWP game, so I don't know if the setting is at all applicable to the WinStore version.

Yeah, did that, steam version but when I get in game, I can't check the option, it won't let me tick it on.

Hmmmm...needs further investigation.

Thnx

Nheco

It runs very well on my RX 480 (OC to 1340Mhz, 20% power limit, basically a RX 580) with an i5 6600k with 12GB RAM.

Everything on ultra (or high for settings that doesn't have ultra), except shadows and illumination. Runs between 50~60 @ 1080p, eating more than 7GB of VRAM.

It's already good enough, but AMD hasn't released a specific update for the game yet, so things could get better.

Also: Afterburner/Rivaturner monitoring isn't working. It's just me or with everyone else?

Xyber

It runs very well on my RX 480 (OC to 1340Mhz, 20% power limit, basically a RX 580) with an i5 6600k with 12GB RAM.

Everything on ultra (or high for settings that doesn't have ultra), except shadows and illumination. Runs between 50~60 @ 1080p, eating more than 7GB of VRAM.

It's already good enough, but AMD hasn't released a specific update for the game yet, so things could get better.

Also: Afterburner/Rivaturner monitoring isn't working. It's just me or with everyone else?

Change the overlay to vector 2D mode instead, worked for another guy.

So I can't go more than 10 minutes (if I'm lucky) with the game crashing.

No error message, just that the exe has stopped responding.

Event viewer shows

Code:
Faulting application name: ShadowOfWar.exe, version: 1.0.7210.0, time stamp: 0x59d5cd68
Faulting module name: ShadowOfWar.exe, version: 1.0.7210.0, time stamp: 0x59d5cd68
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000d2cadc
Faulting process id: 0x1820
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3416f9908686f
Faulting application path: G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ShadowOfWar\x64\ShadowOfWar.exe
Faulting module path: G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ShadowOfWar\x64\ShadowOfWar.exe
Report Id: 0936bb5f-0482-495a-b79a-538333676322
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I've tried the normal stuff. Disabled Steam Overlay, added the exe as an exception to RTSS, Verified Game Cache and seems to make no change.

I am running the latest Nvidia drivers 387.92 (fresh install after cleaning with DDU in safe mode).

Well got a refund from HRK and got the game on cdkeys. Lost 8€ in the process for buying this late but got invaluable wisdom on why not buying on 2nd tier websites to save a couple of bucks. Never again.

I'm set for tonight! HYPE!

When it comes to new releases so wouldn’t go to a step any lower than greenemangaming or cdkeys

And if you really need it just use steam/origin/uplay

Weird that enabling HDR in Windows before launching worked for HDR. Most games can toggle it on and off in-game. At least it works, though.

Do you mean it showed an in game option for HDR when you enabled it through windows? I did that last night and did not see an option. I can't tell if I'm using the games' HDR or if its Windows generic HDR.

Top Bottom