• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War PC performance thread

J_Viper

What settings? My game benchmarked at 79fps at 1440p with settings turned down to high on my i5 and 1070.

I should add with AA set to fxaa and tessellation off.

1070/i5-7600k here
I also benchmarked in the 70s, but in game I get drops to the 50s.

Hell, I just got to a swamp area that has me dropping frames to the 40s. I don't understand. It's such an ugly game, how can it require so much power?

Saiyan-Rox

What settings? My game benchmarked at 79fps at 1440p with settings turned down to high on my i5 and 1070.

I should add with AA set to fxaa and tessellation off.

Lighting: Ultra
Mesh: Ultra
Motion Blur: On
AA: TAA
Shadow: Ultra
Texture: High
AO:High
Vegitation: Ultra
Depth on
Tessellation on
Large Page mode off

Any word on performance for low to mid range hardware? Have a 3 year old gaming laptop that could handle the Witcher 3 on med settings no problem. Curious if it can run this decently

c0Zm1c

Any word on performance for low to mid range hardware? Have a 3 year old gaming laptop that could handle the Witcher 3 on med settings no problem. Curious if it can run this decently

There are videos beginning to appear of it being played on older hardware (like this one) so that might give you some indication

Considering refunding this.

Doubt they're gonna do anything about mouse acceleration and FOV.

So they fucked up the mouse implementation again ? Just like the first game, instead of using raw fucking input, they use that shitty controller signal translated to mouse. Feels jerky, laggy, loose as fuck, imprecise. Couldnt play the first game for too long because there was simply no pleasure in playing when the game feels like this. How can they do it again in our lords year of 2017 is beyond me.

c0Zm1c

Considering refunding this.

Doubt they're gonna do anything about mouse acceleration and FOV.

So they fucked up the mouse implementation again ? Just like the first game, instead of using raw fucking input, they use that shitty controller signal translated to mouse. Feels jerky, laggy, loose as fuck, imprecise. Couldnt play the first game for too long because there was simply no pleasure in playing when the game feels like this. How can they do it again in our lords year of 2017 is beyond me.

I don't have Shadow of War yet so can't compare, but I don't recall having a problem with mouse acceleration in the first game, at 60fps at least; I did feel it was unusually sluggish with lower framerates though (around the 30's).

I don't have Shadow of War yet so can't compare, but I don't recall having a problem with mouse acceleration in the first game, at 60fps at least; I did feel it was unusually sluggish with lower framerates though (around the 30's).

There absolutely was. You could try and fire up again the first game. There's no 1:1 mouse control, yoou move the mouse and there are very clear miliseconds that pass until the game actually responds. Probably depends how sensible one is to things like these

Froz3n

I have a Vega 64 and Ryzen 1700 and get the same 40fps no matter the settings or res.. WTF

I have told three people how to fix this and they have all fixed it. You opt into windows insider builds and install build 16299.15, which is the fall creator's update (or you can download the ISO and upgrade that way). This 100% fixes the problem.

c0Zm1c

There absolutely was. You could try and fire up again the first game. There's no 1:1 mouse control, yoou move the mouse and there are very clear miliseconds that pass until the game actually responds. Probably depends how sensible one is to things like these

I'm sensitive to mouse acceleration; it's terrible in Ghostbusters: The Video Game and it spoiled BioShock for me (until the tweaks for fixing it were found)!

Giving it the benefit of the doubt I've just booted up the game again now and I'm not noticing it at all at 60fps, it's smooth and precise on my end. If I lock the game to 30 then it becomes unusually sluggish (I'm finding I have to move the mouse further to look around and it feels a lot less precise).

I'm not saying anyone's lying or anything, just that I'm not experiencing it on my end; it could be something that varies from system to system perhaps (though I'm not sure why!)?

DeeBatch

I have told three people how to fix this and they have all fixed it. You opt into windows insider builds and install build 16299.15, which is the fall creator's update (or you can download the ISO and upgrade that way). This 100% fixes the problem.

No waaay I hate the insider builds.. My other rig is on it still waiting to get off OMG no. Gotta be another way WTF.
Edit ughhhh Can u point me to the ISO ? Guess I can do it then opt out when it drop for errryone.

dr_rus

No waaay I hate the insider builds.. My other rig is on it still waiting to get off OMG no. Gotta be another way WTF.

16299 is 1709 RTM. You can build your own ISO of it with official ISO Tool:

Create your own bootable ISO's files Windows 10 Fall Creators Update RTM #Redstone_3: build /16299.15.rs3_release.170928-1534/ using MediaCreationTool.exe

download files:
1. http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-48C3-A25D-402F123676D3/MediaCreationTool.exe
2. http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-4487-83DF-4241D2EA79F7/products_20171005.cab

rename file products_20171005.cab to products․cab,
put file products․cab in the same folder where the file MediaCreationTool.exe
and run MediaCreationTool.exe /selfhost
save boot ISO ...
...Or wait for a couple more days, MS will probably update the official ISO Tool to build 1709 install ISOs soon anyway.

Is it me or are some of the shadows weird as hell? When there's full on sun, you can see that shadows actually exist but in other locations I catch myself trying to see if the npcs have shadows. It's really jarring, it reminds me of some screenshots of Fallout 4 before it released where it looked like npcs were just slightly hovering over the floor because the shadows were fucked.

GrazGamer

Can anyone advise why when I go to download the texture and video packs instead of downloading it just launches the game? I don't have them installed as my download was only 65gb.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

GrazGamer

The links did it, ta.

Maxed out at 4K with dynamic res I got 65fps in the benchmark and it seems to hold solid at 60fps ingame so far. I'm not seeing the res dropping from my seating position. Sure it is though because native 4K only achieved 45fps in the benchmark. Looks stunning in HDR too.

i7 6700k, Titan Xp, 16GB RAM.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Any updates as to why this isn't working with GSYNC or not at all being picked up by the GeForce Experience?

Still haven't had time to start this, since I've been busy, but GSYNC doesn't work?

jL77JoO.gif

DeeBatch

Why not just build it yourself? Hard to tell what this ISO on Google Drive even is.

it is Win10_16299.15.170928-1534_X64_EN-US this is the right one.. Anyways it worked FPS are high now thanks... Ughhh insider program again gunna opt out .

J_Viper

Question, can running this game on the same SSD that also carries Windows cause performance issues?

I'm just trying to figure out why I'm dipping so often to the 50s, it's quite annoying.

Still haven't had time to start this, since I've been busy, but GSYNC doesn't work?

jL77JoO.gif

Could just be a problem only I'm having, but on the settings page, it states that the game is not synced with my monitor, or something to that degree.

Pilgore

Neo Member
Every time I boot up the game and run the benchmark I get around 50 to 60 FPS.

Change ONE setting in the graphics options, run the bench mark again and the FPS
is in the 30s.

I can replicate this process every time.

Is the benchmark bugged? Are the game settings not applied after startup and only kick in after changing a setting? I'm trying to tweak the game but something is happening that's making me lose 30fps every time I change a setting. It's like Dynamic Resolution is still secretly on after startup and only disables once I actually change something in the settings, forcing it to edit the .ini file.

jrcbandit

You are my hero!!! Will be trying this today, thanks.

Edit:
Haven't installed this yet, but the official FAQ on Steam page said to fix the issue, install the latest Ryzen chipset driver released in early October. I did that and it didn't help. So hopefully the Fall Windows 10 update will work.

Anyone else getting occasional crashes after a hour or more of playtime? Sometimes the game just locks up and all visuals freeze, though the music continues playing as normal.

It's not my CPU/GPU; the game is still using both and no drivers crash. I have to kill the app in task manager.

16299 is 1709 RTM. You can build your own ISO of it with official ISO Tool:

...Or wait for a couple more days, MS will probably update the official ISO Tool to build 1709 install ISOs soon anyway.

What's in that update that fixes the issue? That's very interesting.

b0uncyfr0

So a few tips so far:

1) AA is actually not that necessary. The game is already quite soft naturally and gaming on a 50 inch at 1440p - no AA is needed. I will try SMAA in abit though. It cant hurt.

2) Camera/Mouse smoothing is really bad. They need to fix this. It's not making the game as enjoyable as it could be. Crank up all sensitivity to max - this really helps.

3) FOV is shitty - but a few people on the cheat engine forums have found workarounds - goo.gl/VLkd7P

4) Read few pages back for ways to skip intro videos.

More to come maybe.

DeeBatch

What's in that update that fixes the issue? That's very interesting.

I dunno but it really fixed it though.. All my games perform better I am getting 43-45 ultra settings @ 4k with my Vega 64.. High settings I get pretty much 60fps.. I get 54-55fps avg 3520X1980 @ utra settings.. 1080p with Ryzen 1700 @ 4k with ultra I get 98-100 fps. Uploading to youtube now will link if u guys want later.
Fall update looks to be a winner for Ryzen and Vega users... Maybe somebody can chime in for intel and GTX.

DeeBatch

So a few tips so far:

1) AA is actually not that necessary. The game is already quite soft naturally and gaming on a 50 inch at 1440p - no AA is needed. I will try SMAA in abit though. It cant hurt.

2) Camera/Mouse smoothing is really bad. They need to fix this. It's not making the game as enjoyable as it could be. Crank up all sensitivity to max - this really helps.

3) FOV is shitty - but a few people on the cheat engine forums have found workarounds - goo.gl/VLkd7P

4) Read few pages back for ways to skip intro videos.

More to come maybe.

AA is needed without it jaggies are present man.

So there was a 44MB update, any info on what it was for?

If you could run the first game well enough you should be able to run the second. I don't think it's significantly more demanding than SoM at least in my experience so far.

J_Viper

If you could run the first game well enough you should be able to run the second. I don't think it's significantly more demanding than SoM at least in my experience so far.
Seems way more demanding on my end, despite looking exactly the same as the last game

I could run Mordor on Ultra and it'd hold north of 70 FPS at all times. With War, I'm getting drops to the 50s on High.

Oh, I saw Denuvo is already cracked, lol... That shit is dead.

Seems way more demanding on my end, despite looking exactly the same as the last game

I could run Mordor on Ultra and it'd hold north of 70 FPS at all times. With War, I'm getting drops to the 50s on High.

Maybe it gets worse further in? I'm still in the prologue or act 1 or whatever I'm not sure (
I'm only where you go back to Shelob
) I mean, yeah it's more demanding but I don't think it's to the point where if you could do 60fps in SoM that this game is struggling to hit 30fps on the same hardware at decent settings.

Lashley

How can I tell if it’s using the 4K cutscenes? I think it is but wanna be sure

Also game runs great on my oc’ed i5-6600k and GTX 970nith gsync at 1080p getting 70ish FPS in game in mostly high and ultra settings with cutscenes at 141fps

Captn

How can I tell if it's using the 4K cutscenes? I think it is but wanna be sure

Also game runs great on my oc'ed i5-6600k and GTX 970nith gsync at 1080p getting 70ish FPS in game in mostly high and ultra settings with cutscenes at 141fps

If you look in the following folder :

Steam\steamapps\common\ShadowOfWar\game\cinematics\videos\golden_path

You will find folders with video files in them. If you have the 4k cinematics installed, you will see the same files twice. The standard ones and the uhd ones (see file name/size)

Back up the normal ones then erased them from the folders and only keep the uhd ones.

Game works perfectly and I'm certain at 100% that it's using the 4k ones.

Hope this helps and maybe you don't need to erase the standard ones but it's just to make sure and erase any doubts whatsoever on what is being used.

Cheers!! :)

Lashley

If you look in the following folder :

SteamsteamappscommonShadowOfWargamecinematicsvideosgolden_path

You will find folders with video files in them. If you have the 4k cinematics installed, you will see the same files twice. The standard ones and the uhd ones (see file name/size)

Back up the normal ones then erased them from the folders and only keep the uhd ones.

Game works perfectly and I'm certain at 100% that it's using the 4k ones.

Hope this helps and maybe you don't need to erase the standard ones but it's just to make sure and erase any doubts whatsoever on what is being used.

Cheers!! :)
Thanks for this, I’ll do it tomorrow before I play :)

bchan555

Every time I boot up the game and run the benchmark I get around 50 to 60 FPS.

Change ONE setting in the graphics options, run the bench mark again and the FPS
is in the 30s.

I can replicate this process every time.

Is the benchmark bugged? Are the game settings not applied after startup and only kick in after changing a setting? I'm trying to tweak the game but something is happening that's making me lose 30fps every time I change a setting. It's like Dynamic Resolution is still secretly on after startup and only disables once I actually change something in the settings, forcing it to edit the .ini file.

What is the setting you are changing?

Pasedo

Can't seem to get a locked 60 or 75FPS once again...seems to be every game I buy can't give me a solid FPS on PC :( im only playing in 1080p and have an i7 Skylake and a 1070 I thought i'd be okay.

Can't remember the last game that worked without hiccup on my PC. (No high texture dlc and playing with the game presets which seem to be mostly ultra)

I'm surprised so many are having problems on a gtx 1070 at 1080p. I've got a 6700 i7 with gtx 1070 laptop with 16gb and on ultra except textures I get a locked 75hz which Max on my Lappy. Don't know if it's made a difference but I recently installed a Samsung 960 pro ssd drive. Didn't think it has any affect on performance other than better loading times. Not sure what everyone else is doing wrong. 😊

jrcbandit

Installing the windows 10 fall creator update fixed my problem with Ryzen processor and this game. I'm running my 1080 Ti at 1800p instead of 4k to maintain 60 fps with dynamic resolution turned off and shadows set to high instead of ultra.

twotonambush

Neo Member
Anyone else getting occasional crashes after a hour or more of playtime? Sometimes the game just locks up and all visuals freeze, though the music continues playing as normal.

It's not my CPU/GPU; the game is still using both and no drivers crash. I have to kill the app in task manager.

Yes, but the video will come back for me after about 10 seconds. Seems to happen most often in the first 15 mins of playing. No video settings fix the issue.

What are you running? I’m on Win 10, 6800k, Titan XP, 32 GB RAM, latest drivers/updates everywhere. I’m running through a receiver, too.

Every time I see one of these threads I get worried.

Ctrl+F "1080 ti"

Alright I'm in the clear. Still haven't even decided if I want to redeem that code I got for my card purchase tho

Top Bottom