• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle schoolers chant ‘build that wall’ during lunch in aftermath of Trump win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Middle schoolers chant ‘build that wall’ during lunch in aftermath of Trump win

During the 2016 presidential campaign, chants of “build that wall!” often echoed through rallies for Donald Trump, as his supporters cheered his proposal to construct a physical barrier on the border between the U.S. and Mexico.

And in the aftermath of Trump’s victory, that chant could be heard elsewhere: in a middle school cafeteria.

Students at Royal Oak Middle School in Michigan started chanting “build the wall!” during a lunch period following Trump’s election. Shawn Lewis-Lakin, superintendent of Royal Oak Schools, confirmed the episode, saying in a statement that a “small group of students” briefly chanted the phrase Wednesday.

“Yesterday, November 9, 2016, there was an incident during one of the lunches at Royal Oak Middle School that was captured on video and posted to social media,” the statement read. “In the incident a small group of students engaged in a brief ‘build the wall’ chant. School personnel in the cafeteria responded when this occurred.”

A Facebook video that appears to show the incident had been viewed more than 2 million times by Thursday afternoon. (The superintendent’s statement does not directly link to the video on social media, but the caption of the Facebook post indicates that it was filmed Wednesday at Royal Oak Middle School.)

Thousands have shared the footage, which lasts about eight seconds. The chant can be heard in the short clip, but it isn’t clear in the video exactly how many students were involved, or how school employees immediately dealt with the disruption.

“We are committed to providing a safe, secure, and supportive learning environment for all students,” Lewis-Lakin said in the statement. “We addressed this incident when it occurred. We are addressing it today. We are working with our students to help them understand the impact of their words and actions on others in their school community.”

The superintendent noted that “because of the strong emotions and intensity of rhetoric that the posting of this incident to social media has elicited,” some families had expressed concern about student safety.

Children in Michigan chanting to build a wall at the Mexican border...

Shaanyboi

Banned
Racism doesn't die with the older generation. This video... this is how racism survives. And it's as strong as ever.

WedgeX

Banned
And this is in fucking Royal Oak. The liberal part of Oakland County.

Fucking hell Michigan. I'll still love Detroit, my tag and all, but I don't know that wearing a shirt with Michigan on it anytime soon will be happening. Out of shame.

PixelatedBookake

Its the cycle of hatred. It will never end until people like Donald Trump aren't in power anymore. Which will never be the case, sadly enough.

LProtag

Dealt with similar things in my classroom. Though, at times it's hard to tell if my students were joking or truthful. This was last year during the primaries. This year I haven't heard that, though I've heard a lot of debate go on in the hallway.

I teach at a high school in a fairly affluent community but in a liberal state, so there's a solid 50/50 split amongst liberals and conservatives. It's... interesting.

Rocketz

As I said last night I live in Royal Oak so these are going to be the little pricks I see when I'm at Somerset Collection. Great.

At least when I have kids they won't have to go there.

"Build the wall"? You live in fucking Michigan.

CROtOH7UwAASiza.jpg

Gotta keep those dirty Canucks with their bagged milk and socialized medicine from flooding over our boarders.

This'll be a serious proposal after the Mexico wall fails to solve anything.

Skii

This is why Trump being president upsets me the most. It vindicates the racists that voted for him. They now believe that everyone in America sides with them and they are right. And how can you now convince them the error of their ways when their president was voted because he was racist?

Man this has set your country back by decades.

They're learning this due to shithead parents.
First post nailed it. Poor kids. And fuck their parents.
This is why Trump being president upsets me the most. It vindicates the racists that voted for him. They now believe that everyone in America sides with them and they are right. And how can you now convince them the error of their ways when their president was voted because he was racist?

Man this has set your country back by decades.
I'm hoping for a Hollywood style backfire in their faces. I don't know how...but considering they voted for a man who doesn't have their best interest at heart I'm sure he could find a few ways to surprise them.

And this is in fucking Royal Oak. The liberal part of Oakland County.

Fucking hell Michigan. I'll still love Detroit, my tag and all, but I don't know that wearing a shirt with Michigan on it anytime soon will be happening. Out of shame.
I live near the school. Fucking suprised to find it was in RO. What the fuck

Racism occurs from being in a bubble. If children never leave a bubble of where everyone they know is white; they are never going to stop being racist because there's no contradictory information to their beliefs.

It's at home too. Plenty of kids grow up with racist parents in mixed neighborhoods.

Audioboxer

ISIS teaches their children to execute people and we are worried about kids chanting...

What?

Indoctrinated children turn into adults one day. Whether they have a great grasp of what they are chanting or not it still needs to be addressed and the children helped.

Yeah, I remember a lot of dumb jokes and shit when I was in Middle School on 9/11.

Then you realize actual people lost their lives (or are going to lose their homes, country, etc, in this case).

BlueEyedBeast

Neo Member
As a junior high teacher, I have already had a few instances of students chanting trump slogans in class.

There certainly has been a rebellious air amongst the students this week. It's been quite difficult to try to keep a lid on things.

But I suppose that's par for the course for a small school in the middle of the woods.

FStubbs

Dealt with similar things in my classroom. Though, at times it's hard to tell if my students were joking or truthful. This was last year during the primaries. This year I haven't heard that, though I've heard a lot of debate go on in the hallway.

I teach at a high school in a fairly affluent community but in a liberal state, so there's a solid 50/50 split amongst liberals and conservatives. It's... interesting.

People were lynched and beaten as "jokes".

mango drank

November 9, 2016. The day Gabe's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory outgrew the bounds of the internet and took over the USA. The "anonymity" clause has been struck down. Hail emperor Trump, the Immortal, hallowed be thy yellow mane, yea verily.

penny_arcade_shitcock.jpg

Shaanyboi

Banned
Racism occurs from being in a bubble. If children never leave a bubble of where everyone they know is white; they are never going to stop being racist because there's no contradictory information to their beliefs.

I grew up in mixed neighborhoods. There is plenty of racism there too.

ISIS teaches their children to execute people and we are worried about kids chanting...

#1stWorldProblems

Oh you doubled down. How cute.

You know what, I'll explain why the thing you said is ridiculous.

That chant is a rallying cry to tell a group of minorities that they welcome in the US, and it's used for even the legal ones. These are children. Imagine, the bullying that comes with the fact that a large group of your student body wants you out of this country. If you think this is an isolated event, it won't be.

These people are going to grow up with those prejudices. Our doctors, police officers, service workers, whatever. They will impart those ignorant beliefs in their everyday lifestyle. If you think that won't affect someone's life, as institutionalized racism has done for decades, you need to do some research.

This should not be happening in America, where all are told that all are welcome. But our president elect obtain his position using this very same slogan.

I hope you inform yourself about the impact of that shit and how bad it can mess a kid up at that age, let alone the ripping caused by bullying and the issues people have growing up with racist beliefs and how they impact the world around them on a daily basis. I truly hope so.

That's not even considering how silly it is to assume we can't be upset about how ISIS treats children, or other places.

Speely

Banned
Wat? this is my real account...

Hi. Just because ISIS is a vile and murderous group does not mean that people have to ignore other problems like WATCHING CHILDREN CHANT RACIST, XENOPHOBIC MANTRAS. You are likely aware of the fact that what children learn during their formative years affects what kinds of adults they become, yes? For example, the Golden Rule is something many parents like to instill in children. Why? It helps make them better people with more empathy.

Likewise, parents (and local communities) who instill divisive and racist beliefs in their children are more likely to watch those children grow into adults whose worldview is affected by them, thus increasing the chances that they spread all the shit racism and divisiveness creates.

Moreover, children don't have a say in what their parents decide to teach them. Teaching children something this harmful to both others and themselves (by virtue of creating an environment of needless conflict and non-empathy around themselves) is practically child abuse, and tbf it made me cry to watch this video.

That's all, Mr. Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom