• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle schoolers chant ‘build that wall’ during lunch in aftermath of Trump win

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm old enough that when I was between elementary school and high school, there was only junior high, which was 7th & 8th grades. Here in the U.S.
There was no such thing as middle school then, so what middle school is, is pretty confusing to me.

For me it was 6-8th grades

Enh. When I was in middle school, OJ Simpson was declared not guilty and we all shouted "the Juice is Loose!" We didn't have any actual dog in that fight but big historical events trickle down to kids and they just have fun with it.

I've been ironically chanting "build the wall" for a couple days too. Mockingly, because it's hilariously jingoistic. But maybe that's the same fun a lot of kids are having....

Dude

Why. I'm guessing there aren't any Mexicans or Mexican-Americans around when you do that?

Enh. When I was in middle school, OJ Simpson was declared not guilty and we all shouted "the Juice is Loose!" We didn't have any actual dog in that fight but big historical events trickle down to kids and they just have fun with it.

I've been ironically chanting "build the wall" for a couple days too. Mockingly, because it's hilariously jingoistic. But maybe that's the same fun a lot of kids are having....

Are you like actually serious

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm old enough that when I was between elementary school and high school, there was only junior high, which was 7th & 8th grades. Here in the U.S.
There was no such thing as middle school then, so what middle school is, is pretty confusing to me.

Here in Canada anyway, junior high = middle school, but some provinces call it differently. Made it's a state by state thing?

Are you like actually serious

What part lol.

TaterTots

Banned
Meanwhile, my fiancee is an ELL teacher for an elementary school and a handful of children were crying about being deported. White and black children took notice of this and hugged them and held their hand back to class. Something as simple, yet beautiful gave me hope for the future even if I'm an old greasy man on my way out.

TheJLC

I think it does have machine guns and spotlights, I dont think so for landmines tough.

For all The stupid things trump says, as a mexican, the wall is the most silly.

I dont know why americans make a huge deal about it, but well what do I know, I have a visa *shrug*

As a latino in the US, the whole wall thing is a joke. Like you said, most of the border where they want to put it has one.

Maybe it's time to bitchslap some little bastards.
giphy.gif

Crayon

Middle school = Junior high. Some school districts do 7th and 8th grade. Some include sixth.

sa201674

Banned
"Mockingly". Did you read that word? It's what Tom Hanks did a week ago on SNL before the sky fell.

I don't think it's the best to do such "things" "Mockingly" especially in this current climate.

Those who are against the whole wall thing will only hate you

Those who are pro-wall will only validate whatever hateful ideas they have and if you mention that you did it mockingly, they will only hate you

sa201674

Banned
They are just kids, being stupid.
And building a wall to keep out illegal immigrants is not racist, no matter how much you wish it to be. A wire fence and wall already exists for good reason.

Can explain why it is not racist then?
In the campaigns, those words awokened the "it's the mexicans' fault" belief in the minds of many.
They felt the relief that someone has promised them that mexicans won't be able to enter the country anymore and all the mexicans around them will now be deported. All the frustration vented into a group of people.
They want satisfaction while ignoring the the well beings of this other group of people which live a harder live to begin with.
The selfishness, the want for this group of people to disappear, the hate is what makes it racist.

I don't get the "they are just kids being stupid" excuse. It implies that it is okay for kids to practice toxic behavior because they are kids.
They don't need harsh punishment and expulsions.
What they need is to be taught proper values and proper education on these matters.

Mine01

Can explain why it is not racist then?
In the campaigns, those words awokened the "it's the mexicans' fault" belief in the minds of many.
They felt the relief that someone has promised them that mexicans won't be able to enter the country anymore and all the mexicans around them will now be deported. All the frustration vented into a group of people.
They want satisfaction while ignoring the the well beings of this other group of people which live a harder live to begin with.
The selfishness, the want for this group of people to disappear, the hate is what makes it racist.

I don't get the "they are just kids being stupid" excuse. It implies that it is okay for kids to practice toxic behavior because they are kids.
They don't need harsh punishment and expulsions.
What they need is to be taught proper values and proper education on these matters.

I think there is already a wall...

Lowmelody

wonderful.beautiful. just casually strolling through the pain and anxiety of total disenfranchisement and racism like its a jolly fun stroll in park. but ironically man

BocoDragon

wonderful.beautiful. just casually strolling through the pain and anxiety of total disenfranchisement and racism like its a jolly fun stroll in park. but ironically man
Please tell me you don't watch any Maher, Oliver or Noah if you disapprove of people mocking the Trump phenomenon.

ITT: People acting like they weren't little shits in middle school

Middle school is peak "I'm mature because I found out that Santa and the Tooth Fairy don't exist" time. Also the time when peer pressure is overbearing. The "build that wall" chant is stupid but I guarantee by high school, they'll cringe whenever they think about it.

Maxinas

Middle schoolers, why am i not surprised. A mix of pre-pubescent and rapidly growing children who find drawing genitals on everything funny. Dumb kids being dumb.

sa201674

Banned
ITT: People acting like they weren't little shits in middle school

Middle school is peak "I'm mature because I found out that Santa and the Tooth Fairy don't exist" time. Also the time when peer pressure is overbearing. The "build that wall" chant is stupid but I guarantee by high school, they'll cringe whenever they think about it.

I know many who weren't when they were in middle school (and i know this because it was only 4 years ago)

Age is not an excuse for someone to act indecently. Someone young is surely most likely to do dumb things, but turning a blind eye towards it must not be done ( harsh punishments towards them of course is wrong)

This type of thing (they're only kids!) i feel is very insulting to those middle school kids who get victimized by awful middle school kids.
It's a good thing middle school kids do mature over time unfortunately, many lives get damaged for a lifetime due to awful experience from childhood due to other kids.

Burai

shitonmychest57
No wonder they are celebrating. By the time these kids leave school Trump would have completely rejuvenated their state and there will be plenty of auto industry jobs for them to do, just like the old days!

sa201674

Banned
Please tell me you don't watch any Maher, Oliver or Noah if you disapprove of people mocking the Trump phenomenon.

At least with the above, they are upfront about their intentions and at least we know the full history of them to know that they truly are being satirical.

A "mocking" done by a random passerbyer will only
come of as vague when it comes to intentions. Who's to say his/her mocking is actual mocking or just a cover up for him/her actually supporting what is being mocked?

Either way, someone will get scared or intimidated, someone will lash out hate to you, and someone will feel empowered with whatever toxic views they have but will proceed to hate you once they find out that you are "mocking".
No one laughs either way (especially if execution is horrible) especially at this climate and it really won't help serve you're cause (that is, if you truly are mocking).

Why not take more of a clear stand, converse, help people or something?

BocoDragon

At least with the above, they are upfront about their intentions and at least we know the full history of them to know that they truly are being satirical.

A "mocking" done by a random passerbyer will only
come of as vague when it comes to intentions. Who's to say his/her mocking is actual mocking or just a cover up for him/her actually supporting what is being mocked?

Either way, someone will get scared or intimidated, someone will lash out hate to you, and someone will feel empowered with whatever toxic views they have but will proceed to hate you once they find out that you are "mocking".
No one laughs either way (especially if execution is horrible) especially at this climate and it really won't help serve you're cause (that is, if you truly are mocking).

Why not take more of a clear stand, converse, help people or something?
That's an interesting story you've made up.

It's for an audience of my knowing liberal friends who appreciate the catharsis of gallows humour in a dark moment.

sa201674

Banned
That's an interesting story you've made up.

It's for an audience of my knowing liberal friends who appreciate the catharsis of gallows humour in a dark moment.

Well, i just hope that you realize that it can be potentially upsetting to someone outside your audience and rightfully so....

Honestly, Trump has planted so many catchy slogans into people's head to the point they become memes. "Build the wall" "make America great again" etc. They become the label of Trump's "goal" and to a lot of uninformed voters, these, along with "pushy grabbing" are all they hear everyday about Trump. On the other hand what were Clinton's campaign slogans? "I am with her" and "united we are stronger"? They are much weaker and don't tell jack shit about her actual goal. It is really hard for uninformed voters to associate anything meaningful with Clinton except "email email crooked FBI in jail" bullshit.

oni_saru

My coworker's sister is a first grade teacher and she had a girl the following day of election say that she no longer wants to sit next to her Spanish speaking classmate cuz she hates Spanish people :(

The worst part of this, her parents are hispanic :/

RPGCrazied

Probably kids of Trump supporters, so I'm sure they encouraged this. I don't care how young they are, expel them. This is unacceptable behavior. I even saw some kids in another story holding a Trump sign and shouting "white power". This shit is not funny and better have some consequences.

WedgeX

Banned
Following up from this, a noose was found in the same middle school a week after this happened.

A student at Royal Oak Middle School who admitted placing a noose in a boys bathroom Friday has been removed from the school.

That action was announced in a statement late this afternoon from Shawn Lewis-Lakin, the superintendent of the Royal Oak Schools. The statement didn't say whether the student was expelled for good or suspended.

Lewis-Lakin said an investigation by school personnel and the Royal Oak Police Department identified the student.

The incident added to an already-tense situation in the school and came more than a week after a small group of students there were captured on a now-viral video chanting "build the wall" on the day after Donald Trump was elected president.

The chant was a nod to Trump's immigration policies, which include plans to build a wall to restrict immigrants from coming into the country.

Piers

I'm leaning more towards a few assholes in the crowds trying to be edgy and getting everyone to join, more than bad parenting.
Edit: That is, racist parents.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Junior High. 6/7/8th grades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom