• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might be done with Consoles Next Gen

HarryKS

You'll be saving lots of money, discovering new hobbies, perhaps get more exercise and go out more. I don't know man. Sounds like a win to me.

HarryKS

Pmvd5yh.png

Perfect.

johntown

Banned
Why not do both? My main system is PC but I might get a PS5 if they have good backwards compatibility with ALL previous systems with up-scaling. Also, until it is confirmed all exclusives are coming to PC there is still that at least for me.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Were still making a lot of assumptions about Sony bringing some games (let alone all of their games) to PC I take it?

Graciaus

Ignoring the dumb replies in here pc gaming is a solid choice. You can even treat it exactly like a console by plugging it into your TV and having a wireless controller if you wanted to. Pc games are cheaper day one, regularly on sale, and dirt cheap when in bundles.

TaroYamada

Article on this topic from a couple years back: https://www.dsogaming.com/editorial/in-the-war-between-xbox-one-ps4-pc-gamers-win/

If you're only going to do one platform as a core gamer, PC makes the most sense. I like the portability of Switch though, and I do not like gaming on laptops nor can they rival Switch's portability (i.e. playing on planes and such). I also am impressed with Xbox One X, if I were a casual gamer it'd probably be my platform of choice due to its fidelity and the value of game pass.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Article on this topic from a couple years back: https://www.dsogaming.com/editorial/in-the-war-between-xbox-one-ps4-pc-gamers-win/

If you're only going to do one platform as a core gamer, PC makes the most sense. I like the portability of Switch though, and I do not like gaming on laptops nor can they rival Switch's portability (i.e. playing on planes and such). I also am impressed with Xbox One X, if I were a casual gamer it'd probably be my platform of choice due to its fidelity and the value of game pass.

I envy the folks that have cash to burn and all the free time in the world; they can just buy and play everything on a whim. For everyone else you just make your best decision based on your wants, needs, and budget.

But going out of your way to "put down" whatever platform(s) you decided against purchasing is some elementry school schoolyard nonsense. Be better. (This isn't an attack at OP or the person I'm quoting, just anyone who happens to show evidence of this behavior. You know who you are.)

Last edited:

TaroYamada

I envy the folks that have cash to burn and all the free time in the world; they can just buy and play everything on a whim. For everyone else you just make your best decision based on your wants, needs, and budget.

But going out of your way to "put down" whatever platform(s) you decided against purchasing is some elementry school schoolyard nonsense. Be better.

Not sure if you're saying I'm putting something down? Only platform I didn't praise was PS4, which I own and it has some cool exclusives but tbh I'd take Switch over it if I had to pick a console. Same for Xbox. Nintendo's exclusives are really strong this gen imo, Super Mario Odyssey is the best game I've played in years.

As for money $$$$$, believe it or not I won my white PS4 Destiny bundle from Taco Bell and my Xbox One X from Taco Bell. My wife bought me the Switch though. I'm primarily a PC gamer -- I wouldn't own the PS4 or the Xbox One X if it weren't for the five dollar big boxes.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Ignoring the dumb replies in here pc gaming is a solid choice. You can even treat it exactly like a console by plugging it into your TV and having a wireless controller if you wanted to. Pc games are cheaper day one, regularly on sale, and dirt cheap when in bundles.
About that.....maybe thats not the case for everyone but most people usually have one PC in their office or their room, do you expect people move their desktop PC in living room every time to they play games on their big TV?

Reactions: TLZ

Ulysses 31

I guess depends on your living space, but are they long enough to reach from your room/office to living room?
Optic fiber cables can be up to 30 meters, with HDMI 2.0 extenders it can go up to 50 meters.

Or you can get a high end Razer Blade laptop that you can put close to your TV. :lollipop_grinning:

Aidah

If you're only going with one platform, then yeah PC is easily the best choice, it's not even close.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If you're only going with one platform, then yeah PC is easily the best choice, it's not even close.
That depends, someone like me who mostly fan of Japanese games, PS4 and Switch much better choice more than PC. Both system get Japanese games that still doesn’t get released on PC.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I dunno man. I bought a launch PS4. Still using it daily, no issues.
I built a PC around the same time, and stopped playing it years ago because it required upgrades to stay current. I spent over double what my PS4 cost. For me personally, I'm quite happy buying a single device that will last me the entire gen with no upgrades needed.

Pretty sure your PC can run games fine if you were willing to turn down settings to get there. That's what console games do over the years, as more advanced games run on fixed hardware. It's just the dev doing it instead of you. There is no magic secret sauce.

Last edited:

Aidah

That depends, someone like me who mostly fan of Japanese games, PS4 and Switch much better choice more than PC. Both system get Japanese games that still doesn’t get released on PC.
I like your taste in games, and I too have a very strong preference for Japanese games. However if I had to pick just one it would be PC for sure, the only hard thing would be giving up official access to some Nintendo/Switch games. As for Playstation, I wouldn't even consider that over a PC for a second, a lot of my favorite Japanese games, that were previously Playstation only, are gradually making it to PC, and it seems like the trend is that more and more are going to start showing up on PC.

Currently I've got every console and a PC, so it's easy for me to see which ones are the most important and most used in practice. My time is mostly on PC followed closely by Nintendo Switch. Then you got PS4 in a very distant third place, and Xbox in last place with barely any usage.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Pretty sure your PC can run games fine if you were willing to turn down settings to get there. That's what console games do over the years, as more advanced games run on fixed hardware. It's just the dev doing it instead of you. There is no magic secret sauce.

I'm not getting into PC specs because it bores me and I can't recall what everything in my system is, but last year I bought SFV on Steam when it was on sale, and it ran like absolute trash, on the lowest settings. Still runs great on my PS4. I don't care enough about getting good performance on a PC to bother upgrading my PC, just to play games I'm interested in that work on my far cheaper console. The visual difference is negligible to me personally.

Ulysses 31

I don't know why you'd post this and not one of the numerous options that exist to stream gameplay from your PC to your television. The average customer would much rather opt for one of those instead.
Sure if they don't mind the extra latency they'll likely get.

trikster40

Sony still haven’t announced that any of their games are going to PC, so still lots of assumptions being made there.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Imagine waiting a year for RDR 2, a year for GTA 6, 3 and half years for Horizon Zero Dawn (seems like that was just a rumor at this point)... All for better framerate

diffusionx

Gold Member
Or even better buy a much cheaper gaming device called a console and keep it next to your TV.

Sure, but don't complain if the console isn't as powerful as you want or not enough games run at 60fps or whatever. With consoles, you're always playing on the terms set by the manufacturer.

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
I always say that as a PC gamer, but somehow i always end up buying one of the consoles to only have them collect dust. :/
Disposable income, but i'm getting better at not spending so much.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I'm ready to say fukk it and go PC.

Sony putting exclusives on there next gen, Microsoft already putting all there exclusives and gamepass on PC, Pretty much every third party game drops on PC.
There are two Switch emulators in the works.
Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U emulators are playable now
You can run android for your mobile gaming needs if you want to.
All the emulators for all the classic consoles make it a true king in the backwards compatibility department.
Most games are going cross play for multiplayer so you don't even need to pay monthly for online.
Steam deals are sometimes cheaper than console.
You can play the three gamepads from Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft.

With the Master Race you can never loss and are pretty much covered in every aspect.
Two things..

1. Sony aint putting their new and future exclusives on PC.
2. Price of admission is very high. If you want performance better than next gen console which makes your comment about not paying for online and cheaper steam games irrelevant than be prepared to part with a lot of doh.

TaySan

Banned
Imagine waiting a year for RDR 2, a year for GTA 6, 3 and half years for Horizon Zero Dawn (seems like that was just a rumor at this point)... All for better framerate
RDR is a much more enjoyable game at 60 fps and Gsync to be honest. Worth the wait honestly it's not like I'm lacking games to play in the meantime since everything comes to PC nowadays.

Justin9mm

Sure, but don't complain if the console isn't as powerful as you want or not enough games run at 60fps or whatever. With consoles, you're always playing on the terms set by the manufacturer.
What I love about PC gamers is they think every other PC gamer is running 1080 ti's or above. Majority of people have sub par PC's. Every console gamer is basically on the same level playing field. Hey, I have a gaming PC, I'm not hating. But if you think next gen won't do Dynamic 4K, 60fps with Ray Tracing easily, then you are in for a shock. Still not superior to a high end PC but for $500.. That's fucking amazing!

diffusionx

Gold Member
What I love about PC gamers is they think every other PC gamer is running 1080 ti's or above. Majority of people have sub par PC's. Every console gamer is basically on the same level playing field. Hey, I have a gaming PC, I'm not hating. But if you think next gen won't do Dynamic 4K, 60fps with Ray Tracing easily, then you are in for a shock. Still not superior to a high end PC but for $500.. That's fucking amazing!

The point about PCs is that it really doesn’t matter what the next guy is running, you spend what you want to get the experience you want. You’re not at the mercy of the devs and manufacturers who have different and conflicting goals (manufacturers have to keep price down, devs often focus on graphics over frame rate to sell games). I don’t know what sub par PC means in this context.

I don’t know what the next gen of consoles will do, I’m sure they will be decent machines, but I also don’t know what PC hardware will look like at year end, and how they will compare.

TaySan

Banned
Like the poster above said PC gaming is about what you want to make of it and not being stuck to a static hardware. PS5 and XsX I'm sure are going decent machines, but you don't need to pay an arm and a leg for a better than console experience. We have hardware today that's already supieror and it will only get cheaper from here on out.

Top Bottom