• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might be done with Consoles Next Gen

dilbag

Are you sure about that? Remember Batman Arkham Knight? You're always at the mercy of devs, no matter what you think. Optimizations matter a lot.

And like someone else said, you guys assume PC gaming means automatically more powerful. Always pushing 'PC Master Race'. Always replying with 'Get a PC if you want power' like people can afford spending 1000's that simple.

For what we get in consoles for the price is great, in addition to all the optimizations, simplicity and convenience of gaming on them.

When we ask for 60fps, we don't mean 4k60. We mean give us the option for a locked 60fps with lower res and we'd take that. Others don't care and prefer res over framerate. But hey, with these next consoles we might get 4k60 after all. We're not after 8k240fps whatever PC Master Race is after.

While I completely agree with you some game run like trash on PC. The same is true for consoles now, some games release and run like trash on them. Gone are the days when games just ran well on consoles.

PoE runs horrible on consoles, PuBG runs awful on consoles, Didnt anthem brick some systems from how poorly it was optimized? Consoles have day one patches now, constant console updates, games have to install on the HDD they have lost alot of what makes them simple these last two gens

Heck even Gears 5 came out with bugs so bad the single player wouldn't work and took multiple patches to be playable.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I'm ready to say fukk it and go PC.

Sony putting exclusives on there next gen, Microsoft already putting all there exclusives and gamepass on PC, Pretty much every third party game drops on PC.
There are two Switch emulators in the works.
Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii U emulators are playable now
You can run android for your mobile gaming needs if you want to.
All the emulators for all the classic consoles make it a true king in the backwards compatibility department.
Most games are going cross play for multiplayer so you don't even need to pay monthly for online.
Steam deals are sometimes cheaper than console.
You can play the three gamepads from Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft.

With the Master Race you can never loss and are pretty much covered in every aspect.
For me it’s about money and time and I’m a bit of a tinkerer so I would end up screwing the pc up. I know it I’ve done it before.
Plus I don’t have enough time to dedicate to gaming maybe half and to two hours Max every couple of days. Actually a week sometimes lol

I think for me it will be handhelds going forward. If Nintendo keep on the switch path that will do me.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
when you need good links for great cheats for mp games on pc you can Google it.

have fun on pc...... ☺

in the moment a masterrace gaming pc cost ca 2500€
for that money i can buy XSX, PS5, Nintendo and make 2Weeks holiday.

Nobody is saying anything about PCMR, it has nothing to do with that. I don't even know where this came from, in this discussion. You can spend that much if you want to, but I'll be the first to tell you the 2080ti was never a good buy, and will be replaced soon. Nobody is saying that you need to spend $3,000 on a PC to have a good experience, that's actually not true at all.

However, it's weird to see people advocating for Sony to raise the price of the console to $500 or even $600 to make it more powerful, while also saying that people who play games on PC are fat losers for spending more on their system. The only difference is that those people are deciding based on what is best for them, as opposed to Sony deciding based on what's best for Sony.

Consoles have become more PC-like with every generation since the Xbox. I've been playing games on PC with a SSD since... 2013 or 2014. Obviously this is because the PC is bringing al to to the table and there's no reason to be close-minded about it. Nowadays all except a handful of games comes out on PC (seriously, PS4 had what, 10-15 great exclusives over six years?), anyone who takes gaming as a hobby seriously should consider the PC IMO.

We are members in an enthusiast forum for games at this point I ignorantly believe everyone owns a PC and at least one of each current gen console.

wolffy71

Banned
People talk a out console exclusives but some of biggest games in the world are pc only. The argument doesn't make sense.

Great Hair

Banned
PC "geimu!"
  • (5/5) best visuals in 3rd party games
  • (5/5) if you are roaming the sea, have a parrot on your shoulders and bad breath, games are free
  • (3/5) no real reason to upgrade since Crysis, even Crysis was in retrospect nothing to brag about it
  • (1/5) too much fiddling about with .dlls, .inis. titties mods, mario mods for skyrim
  • (1/5) CTD, BSOD, AMD Drivers, terrible HDR support
  • (1/5) heavy focus on online, toxic communities even in LOTRO
  • (0/5) only digital, no resale
  • (0/5) more expensive overall
  • (0/5) shitty Windows 10 Store, too many stores, too many launchers, too much "work, before fun"

Consoles "geimu!"
  • (5/5) still plug&play ... kinda
  • (5/5) easy of use, no need for a kinect
  • (4/5) not best visuals, but at 10feets? Are you going to notice if a shadow is set to high or Ultra? In motion, no one notices jackshit (enhanced consoles rock)
  • (5/5) better games, more exclusives, reasons to own a console
  • (4/5) except for creating excel sheets, a console can do anything a pc can, play movies, stream games, music, surf the web (#lol) and so on ... even edit videos.
  • (5/5) physical copies = resell after a weekend or two = get 75% (or more) of the investment back
  • (2/5) basic consoles are basic, depends on the game
  • (6/5) thank god there are no shitty useless mods
  • (5/5) the ingame stores just fucking work!
  • (5/5) HDR works since 2015?
  • (5/5) no gpu driver crashes or CTDs
  • (2/5) some games can crash, as on other platforms
  • (5/5) much better games, always first to get´em
  • (1/5) can be very expensive, if collecting games DAY1 at $60+ per game
  • (5/5) GAMEPAD >>>> Keyboard&Mouse ...
  • (11/5) Console people are more sexy than PC people, it´s true!
  • (0/5) Nintendoestink!

Final Score
PC: 16/45 translated > Metacritic Score of 35%
Console : 74/85 translated > Metacritic Score of 90%
Seems a clear victory to me! Im sorry, but it´s true!

DarkestHour

Banned
Until something about your hardware setup or driver configuration causes it to all come crumbling down. There's always one thing or another that just isn't right or quite perfect when it comes to PCs. I remember when I first encountered the Z-fighting in Skyrim. What a nasty little surprise that was as I was tromping across that dull brown marshscape. I'm not anti-PC. I build my own ever so often. Still there are benefits to just gaming on a $400 box and accepting that we're all getting basically the same packaged experience free of troubleshooting.

People that have issues with computers are usually dumb asses or tried tweaking things which ruined it. I'm not arguing against consoles being easier, but it is very rare now that issues with PC aren't caused by user error.

Last edited:

StormCell

Yes everything comes crumbling down on PC when a driver isn't configured correctly. And Skyrim was a joy to play on consoles.

This sounded like it was laced with sarcasm. My apologies if it wasn't, but in case it was read further for my response.

People that have issues with computers are usually dumb asses or tried tweaking things which ruined it. I'm not arguing against consoles being easier, but it is very rare now that issues with PC aren't caused by user error.

I concede that things have gotten much better. 100x way better than it was in the early and mid-00's, and in fact I've had no issues running anything "straight out of the box" on my 5-6 year-old build, which just goes to show that PC's are a good investment even long term provided your expectations are modest.

Having said that, I'm one of those people who can't help but want the total texture overhaul pack and am always trying to get some hacky thing to run. I also see some of the same issues on console now that we didn't used to see much of a couple of generations ago--for instance, I'm playing with Skyrim mods enabled on my PS4 and so it definitely crashes from time to time. It's just the nature of gaming now.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
One of my biggest issues with PC Gaming is how overwhelming all the "settings" can be at different system levels.

• You've got your BIOS where you can overclock the CPU and RAM. (And set other tuning options.)
  • Then you've got separate applications such as Ryzen Tuner that also allows you to overclock your CPU and alter other parameters of your computer hardware
  • Then you've OEM Driver applications (from ATI or NVidia respectively) that usually hang out in the system tray that allow you to change settings for the way your GPU handles graphics (Anti-aliasing, Texture Filtering, etc.)
  • Then each game has discrete settings for graphics within themselves.
  • Plus other third party "hacky" solutions.
It drives me batty because I always worry that I don't have something set properly within those four (or more) areas of setup that's throwing a wrench into my gaming performance, or maybe something is conflicting between them causing issues.

After all, when you're dropping as much money as you generally do on PC hardware, you want to squeeze as much performance out of each game as possible.

There's nothing wrong with this, mind you. If you like to handle your gaming experience this way then by all means go for it, I hope you have a blast. It's just one of the reasons why I don't do PC Gaming anymore; it just got a bit overwhelming when you're limited on free time as an adult.

anthraticus

Banned
We are members in an enthusiast forum for games at this point I ignorantly believe everyone owns a PC and at least one of each current gen console.
I don't own any of the current consoles and don't plan on getting any of the new ones either.

AND I have an older video card (GTS 450) in my PC.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I’m probably not buying them all but I’ll never drop nintendo as long as Switch is the new normal: I have a tough time making time to play on TV so Switch has been great.

Kobi

I think people will be genuinely shocked when it comes to these next gen consoles. These aren't like the last couple of generations, naff specs and everyones disappointed. We already know these will be on par with a high end gaming pc of todays standards. From 2 vetted members on here, both claiming their sources are saying ~ 2080 super performance. Optimisation can only push that performance higher. I game on pc too and also my brother, he's itching to upgrade. I keep telling him to wait for these new gpu's this year, see how they go. But if im gonna put £/$1k on a gpu, id expect twice the performance of these next gen consoles, i honestly dont think spending twice the amount on a gpu will come close.

Graciaus

One of my biggest issues with PC Gaming is how overwhelming all the "settings" can be at different system levels.

• You've got your BIOS where you can overclock the CPU and RAM. (And set other tuning options.)
  • Then you've got separate applications such as Ryzen Tuner that also allows you to overclock your CPU and alter other parameters of your computer hardware
  • Then you've OEM Driver applications (from ATI or NVidia respectively) that usually hang out in the system tray that allow you to change settings for the way your GPU handles graphics (Anti-aliasing, Texture Filtering, etc.)
  • Then each game has discrete settings for graphics within themselves.
  • Plus other third party "hacky" solutions.
It drives me batty because I always worry that I don't have something set properly within those four (or more) areas of setup that's throwing a wrench into my gaming performance, or maybe something is conflicting between them causing issues.

After all, when you're dropping as much money as you generally do on PC hardware, you want to squeeze as much performance out of each game as possible.

There's nothing wrong with this, mind you. If you like to handle your gaming experience this way then by all means go for it, I hope you have a blast. It's just one of the reasons why I don't do PC Gaming anymore; it just got a bit overwhelming when you're limited on free time as an adult.
But all of that is optional. Click a game and pick mid/high/ultra and enjoy your game. Modern games auto configure to your hardware anyway.

BBHK878.gif

thelastword

Banned

Sony putting exclusives on there next gen, Microsoft already putting all there exclusives and gamepass on PC, Pretty much every third party game drops on PC.
All the emulators for all the classic consoles make it a true king in the backwards compatibility department.
Most games are going cross play for multiplayer so you don't even need to pay monthly for online.

With the Master Race you can never loss and are pretty much covered in every aspect.
Thanks for playing on consoles......

Justin9mm

This dude built his PC for $500 which is not significantly more expensive than the Xbox One X. The point is it's possible to have a superior experience without breaking the bank at all. Would i personally do it? No because gaming is my number one hobby and i have the disposable income to splurge on a premium experience.

But you don't have to and that's the beauty of PC gaming. Options and only your budget will limit you.
Dude if you can't see why this is not an actual viable option in everyday life then I feel sorry for you. You think you can take any old outdated PC, slap a top tier GPU in it and your done? This was just someone experimenting, this is not a viable option. Videos like these are misleading.

TaySan

Banned
Dude if you can't see why this is not an actual viable option in everyday life then I feel sorry for you. You think you can take any old outdated PC, slap a top tier GPU in it and your done? This was just someone experimenting, this is not a viable option. Videos like these are misleading.
Have you guys not ever heard of shopping used for parts? As long as the specs are right than a new GPU(Which is the most important for gaming)can extend a ton of life in a old system. The 1660 ti might have been a better fit for the build, but this system still clearly beats the Xbox One X in games and is even Ray Tracing cabable.

S0ULZB0URNE

Sony is putting what on the PC?

Only thing I really have any interests in buying the PS5 for is improved backwards compatibility and maybe the small glimmer of hope that games won't run at 30FPS and below anymore. That and possibly Sony stopping their ridiculous censorship policies and needing to pay for basic stuff like cloud saves, when I can just copy my saves onto a flash drive and upload them to Google Drive.

I'm personally tired of console games requiring insanely big day one patches and waiting an eternity for installs to even function. Spyro Reignited Trilogy and THPS5 had a majority of the content not on the disc, that's pretty much going to kill games preservation once online services shut down, especially since backing up game patches on the Xbox One and PS4 is already difficult. At least I can download cracks separately for the games that I bought on PC, and put the games on a backup hard drive. I remember back when I bought a game, and I could just plug in my consoles and play them immediately, without having to worry about online subscriptions.

That said, nowadays I have my PC for a majority of multiplats, Microsoft's stuff, etc. I barely touch my PS4 anymore, despite having quite a few games for it. Upgraded to the Pro a few months ago, and still haven't used it much.

Didnt anthem brick some systems from how poorly it was optimized? Consoles have day one patches now, constant console updates, games have to install on the HDD they have lost alot of what makes them simple these last two gens

Installing Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 with the extra content required me to boot into safe mode on my PS4 and wait thirty minutes for it to rebuild the database.

PC gaming is cheaper on account of game prices, and most price-conscious PC gamers, swap parts out individually, instead of outright buying the whole PC+monitor all over again when an upgrade is necessary.
It ends up costing the about the same or less, and gives a superior experience in the long run.

The only reason to get a console is to play some exclusive which is unlikely to come out on PC. There are very few of those.
Or if you're a simpleton or don't want to deal with anything that PC gaming entails.

The price isn't really the barrier if you have your wits about you.
So all console gamers are idiots? You are the fucking "simpleton" dude. It's posts like this that is the reason people hate the "PC Master Race" bullshit. You aren't better then anyone just because you are "smart" enough to build and play on PC. I still don't understand how you people can still think like this. Are you someone who shits on iOS users, or Mac users as well?

Consoles ARE basically PCs at this point, but there are still plenty of reasons to choose a console.
  • Exclusives still exist (PS on PC is not an argument until Sony announces it themselves).
  • Ease of use. I'm sure this will play into your argument, but ease of use does not mean you like it because you are too stupid. You know what is great? Grabbing a controller, pressing the [insert brand] button, and then navigating a simple interface to choose a game and play. Yes a PC can be setup to boot straight into Steam Big Picture or another launcher but there are plenty of times when that is far from perfect. Steam machines had this in mind but they failed for a variety of reasons.
  • Controller use. Related to my last point but on a console the controller does EVERYTHING. I've on multiple occasions hooked my PC up to my TV, and even bought one of those Microsoft Bluetooth keyboards with track pads just so that I could control everything from my couch/bed but it's still a pain sometimes. Windows is not meant to be controlled from a couch. You can set up a controller to do things like mouse control and keyboard input but it's not the same as a console. While games like Modern Warfare 2019 have fixed this, you are still at a big disadvantage if you want to use a controller in almost any online game on PC.
  • Windows. Fuck windows. I much prefer Mac/Linux, but Windows is the only "usable" OS for gaming at this time. Linux has gotten better thanks to Valve but it's again far from perfect. This also means that PC gaming is more "natural" for lack of a better word at a desk.
  • I don't think the price argument is worthy. Yes you could take a Dell Optiplex w/ a 3470/Xeon and throw in a 1060, but most people won't be doing that. There are also pros and cons to building your own system. Pre-builts give you piece of mind if you are new at building, and give you a unified warranty much like a console but cost more overall. The "average" gaming PC will cost more then a $400 console UPFRONT. Upfront is important because if you take the PS4 at launch and add 7 years of PS+ at full cost (which you can always get on sale) you are at $820. You can build a pretty damn good PC for that, and it will outperform the PS4 on a raw level BUT the PS4 was $460 with $60 added every year. This is easier for people then shelling out $820 plus tax all at once.
  • Friends and ecosystem history. Most of my friends play on PS, with quite a few on Xbox. If you want to play with your friends then you choose based on where everybody is. Again, COD fixed this which is amazing but cross-play is few and far between (but getting better luckily).
  • Cheating. Cheating happens everywhere, but I come across it much more often on PC then I do consoles. I can think of one time since MW2019 came out that I've been like yep thats a ChronusMax user.
  • Tinkering/Settings. This is actually one of the biggest strengths in PC gaming, but it's not for everybody. Some people end up spending more time messing with settings then playing the game itself. Some people just don't give a fuck, and that's okay.
  • Brand loyalty/nostalgia. Now I'm not talking console war bullshit. When I hear the original PS boot, or the OG Xbox I feel very nostalgic because I grew up on consoles (and PC but I don't think I ever really associated PCs with games as a kid despite being huge into Janes games, and Big Game Hunter, etc.). Maybe somebody grew up on the N64 and they go get a Switch with Odyssey. Playing will give them a rush of nostalgia and fond memories. I'm not saying this is a reason to choose a platform on it's own but it's definitely something that can sway a purchase.
It's all choice. Why anybody cares, or would degrade someone because of their choice is beyond me. I've built more PCs then I can count on fingers, and can get somebody's PC from boxes to installing games in under an hour BUT I still prefer grabbing my controller and playing on consoles.

tl;dr Fuck off, let people play games wherever they damn well please.

jadefire66

I'm already done with consoles. PS4 was a huge disappointment for me. I didn't like ANY of the exclusives apart from Bloodborne. A bunch of casual "cinematic" crap with 0 replay value. And I have no reason to get a console other than exclusives.

Last edited:

vkbest

I think I will go with consoles again, I thought to go to PC if Sony making exclusives for PC. But I have test a gaming PC, and I have a tons problem with drivers, stuttering, configurations.

I think I will go with consoles again, I thought to go to PC if Sony making exclusives for PC. But I have test a gaming PC, and I have a tons problem with drivers, stuttering, configurations.
Same here. Micro stuttering in every game no matter the res tried different parts too. Chalked up to Windows 10 by the looks of it. I prefer my consoles.

JimmyJones

Banned
Consoles are shit bro. Any reason to own a console died with the Nintendo Switch.

A PC is slightly more expensive, yes, but if you have a little self control and save for like 2 more months then you will save money in the long run with cheaper games.

Last edited:
If the convenience and price arent the reason you're playing console then yeah you're doing it wrong.

How many "exclusives" does pc have over console?

Power? Graphics? Cost of games? Yeah PC wins. Unless its convenience or price of console.

I’m genuinely curious: what’s so convenient about playing on a console?

phil_t98

#SonyToo

I will say try and buy a pc at the price next gen consoles will be that have the same power, prob spend 3 to 4 times as much tbh

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The PC is certainly a very alluring gaming platform these days.
But unless you use some kind of steam link system, I would not want a big bulky PC tower next to my TV in my living room, and to build a small form factor gaming rig is not cheap, I would not be surprised if it costs twice as much for a PC equivalent to the series X.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
I think OP forgot the one important part.
No shitty 30fps games everywhere [or unstable 27ish fps like in most cases]
Seriously once you move to rock solid 60fps club there is no going back.

About that.....maybe thats not the case for everyone but most people usually have one PC in their office or their room, do you expect people move their desktop PC in living room every time to they play games on their big TV?
You can have a small PC in the living room (I have an older i7), Steam will let you stream your games to there without problem.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I think OP forgot the one important part.
No shitty 30fps games everywhere [or unstable 27ish fps like in most cases]
Seriously once you move to rock solid 60fps club there is no going back.

As someone who constantly goes from 30fps games to 60fps and up games, you're wrong.

60fps is better obviously, but "no going back" is just stupid.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member

Good for you. Want a medal?

Justin9mm

While I completely agree with you some game run like trash on PC. The same is true for consoles now, some games release and run like trash on them. Gone are the days when games just ran well on consoles.

PoE runs horrible on consoles, PuBG runs awful on consoles, Didnt anthem brick some systems from how poorly it was optimized? Consoles have day one patches now, constant console updates, games have to install on the HDD they have lost alot of what makes them simple these last two gens

Heck even Gears 5 came out with bugs so bad the single player wouldn't work and took multiple patches to be playable.
You just named two PC games made for PC and ported to Console and one AAA game which is regarded one of the worst made games in history. That is such a bad example.

90% of the time, games are run well on consoles. And those issues are no where near as bad as all the random computer crashes and freezes in games plus all the driver/compatibility issues, no way in hell!

Justin9mm

Better make it a good one since we’re getting rumours of AAA titles being 4K and 90FPS. Or GT aiming for 4K, 120FPS and Ray-Tracing.
And Native 4K at that. The problem with PC Gamers is they think the next gen is just going to be the same marketing bullshit as prior gens but if they actually knew anything about the actual components that are at least confirmed for the Series X, they should realise they were wrong!

Justin9mm

I hear this shit before every gen, including the last one. We saw how that turned out. PD talks all sorts of baloney before every new game comes out. It's all marketing hype.
Except now we know the real confirmed specs of Series X and as far as that particular console, you were wrong!

Top Bottom