• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic Showdown - probably getting revealed soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

prudislav

on watch dogs twitter today appeared some message about revealing new M&M game
RL11FLU.png

https://twitter.com/watchdogsgame/status/821793017107517440

With little digging I found it might be related to a teaser poster which appaered in the Ubisoft mission of WD2
170113170624mm_showdown_fix.jpg

Also just a couple minutes after it this app just appeared on steamdb
Might & Magic Showdown - Uplay activation
https://steamdb.info/app/571150/

So really curious what that is , but if the name is final ... it sounds kinda worrying to me

I'd snap up a successor to M&M X in a heartbeat, I loved everything about that game. Sadly I suspect we won't see another :(

Still, excited to see something new in this universe that is not HoMM, so here's hoping that this is good!

prudislav

That name reeks of some kind of F2P thing.
yep thats why I sayid its worrying in the OP ... especially after Ubi took down both studios responsible for last 3 games in the M&M universe (Black Hole for Heroes 6 and Limbic for Heroes 7 and MMX)
i guess we will see soon judging by the reveal stream

Hope it's a successor to M&MX. While I didn't love the game as much as others (I felt like it went on way too long and the recycled assets/music from DMoMM and HoMM5 was grating after awhile), there's nothing much else like it

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Make it stop.
MMX was bad.
MMH6 was bad.
MMH7 was a joke and a disgrace.
Just let it rest Ubi.

shingi70

Banned
Lwhy doesn't Ubisoft make a might and magic game that's a straight up WRPG like Witcher and Elder scrolls. Doesn't seem hard to make fantasy RPG towers everywhere.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Lwhy doesn't Ubisoft make a might and magic game that's a straight up WRPG like Witcher and Elder scrolls. Doesn't seem hard to make fantasy RPG towers everywhere.

Why make it Might and Magic? The weight of the brand has been all but killed off and their current setting is passable at best.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It was EXACTLY what a Might and Magic should be.

As for whatever this is? I'm sure it will be some kind of awful F2P gacha bullshit.

Making a Might and Magic RPG linear was the worst they could possibly do.
Making it in Unity with hobbled together assets is the worst they could possibly do.
Class design is obtuse.
Using tiles for nostalgia bait was the actual worst they could possibly do.
And their Kingdom Hearts rejects faceless don't hold a candle to any real endgame in a Might and Magic game.

It's insulting to call it "legacy" then purposefully discarding the actual legacy of the series.
Have you all even played the old ones?

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm not even saying it's a bad game, so lay off the shots.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

You complain about tile based movement and ask me if I've played the old Might & Magic games?

l0ExtWOOp2foyCgxi.gif

The game was a hybrid of the gameplay style of the first 5 Might & Magics married to the skill system of the final 4 Might & Magics. It was absolutely lovely, and you are a certified crazy person.

KainXVIII

Making it in Unity with hobbled together assets is the worst they could possibly do.
Class design is obtuse.
And their Kingdom Hearts rejects faceless don't hold a candle to any real endgame in a Might and Magic game.

It's insulting to call it "legacy" then purposefully discarding the actual legacy of the series.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm not even saying it's a bad game, so lay off the shots.

My man! MMX was bad as Might&Magic legacy and high praise on GAF baffles me (especially from Durante)

LordCiego

There is already a card based Might and Magic game so the name and poster look to me like a multiplayer game like the Dark Messiah multiplayer, Chivalry Medieval Warfare or Legends of Might an Magic. Maybe they want to try their own version of Overwatch.

Lets see what it really is.

Might and Magic MOBA, you heard it here first.

Or this.

This will probably just be a Hearthstone clone or some other free to play cash cow of the week.

Apart from MMX, Ubi hasn't done anything worthwhile with the Might & Magic property, and even then they invented as little money as possible to get it done and probably never will again.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You complain about tile based movement and ask me if I've played the old Might & Magic games?

What MMX should've taken was open world, and deceptive simplicity of concepts and setting. Tile movement was just a limitation of the times. Not a boon.

This will probably just be a Hearthstone clone or some other free to play cash cow of the week.

Apart from MMX, Ubi hasn't done anything worthwhile with the Might & Magic property, and even then they invented as little money as possible to get it done and probably never will again.

Heroes V ended up really good by the end if only in spite of Ubisoft rather than because of.

Class design is obtuse.

I enjoyed MMX for what it was, but I do agree with you that it kinda paled in comparison to the previous ones (barring the atrocious MMIX).

Flying through a map holding A to
shoot a constant stream of laser beams
at black dragons is my peak M&M experience.

Durante

What? It's not linear.

I really wonder if we played the same game.

And yes, I did play the previous M&Ms. World of Xeen is my favourite, so I never considered tile-based movement a drawback. And "hobbling together assets" did not bother me in the least -- M&M games never stood out for their consistent (or, let's face it, sometimes even just good) art.

What? It's not linear.

And yes, I did play the previous M&Ms. World of Xeen is my favourite, so I never considered tile-based movement a drawback. And "hobbling together assets" did not bother me in the least -- M&M games never stood out for their consistent (or, let's face it, sometimes even just good) art.

It's linear in the sense that it's far smaller and far more gated than something like World of Xeen. World of Xeen lets you travel through any mountains even at a very early stage in the game, whereas you need to progress a certain amount through the main quest in MMX to be able to "climb" certain cliffs. It's far less open than any of its predecessors really.

I whine to myself about this every year.

I even took it upon myself to start making a M&MVI-VIII style game but that didn't get very far. Game development is hard, man!

cuc

From a page that has since been removed:
M&MS_1600-1000_Desktop_281353.jpg

Set in the rich RPG fantasy universe of Might & Magic with its diverse bestiary, Might & Magic: Showdown is a tactical PvP combat experience where you command a team of customizable miniature heroes and creatures to overcome your opponent by mixing strategic planning and real-time action in quick, bite-sized sessions. Build your team and bring the miniatures to life through a combination of visual personalization and programmable actions that will define your playstyle and ultimately bring them to the battleground for the Showdown!

Hupsel

It´s probably some terrible free to play game.

And yes, a sequel to Clash of Heroes would be great :(

Edit: ^ oh pvp free to play shit, there you go

What? It's not linear.

Heroes of Might and Magic though.

Hupsel

No gameplay info, previews, marketing...

A Heroes and a Warhammer 40K released on same day that are probably shit

NotLikeThis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom