• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty n.09 backer rewards update (Is Comcept fault)

Creators on Kickstarter should just stop with over-reaching when it comes to rewards. I pledged 30$ for Kung Fury for the Blu-Ray in 2013, and didn't receive it until a couple of months ago.

That wasn't so bad for me, but the issue was that the day after it was shipped, I got an update telling me that there was a glitch with the discs and that they wouldn't be able to replace them.

Two months later, they came out and said that they wanted to fix it, but that they'd been working for free for the last year just getting the rewards out.

Things did work out though, as the Blu-Ray worked, except for an image artifact appearing for a couple of seconds, but they definitely ended up in a situation where they had spread themselves way too thin to handle all the rewards.

Keep it simple, focus on delivering the product first.

Mieu

Where's the Kamiya tweet.

images

Everyone must realize this.

Man this is just sad. I feel sorry for the backers of this and for Fanfamer as well. Mighty n. 9 continues to be a debacle even after the game's release.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Fangamer's not absolved of fault. You don't team up with terrible business partners then point fingers toward them. You accepted the deal. Same as the people who backed MN9. Should have known better. I feel bad but jeez. To be fair, it's far worse than anyone could have predicted. But no one should have predicted a good outcome.

It would be like teaming up with Nintendo to build an online gaming network. What else do you expect?

Fangamer's not absolved of fault. You don't team up with terrible business partners then point fingers toward them. You accepted the deal. Same as the people who backed MN9. Should have known better. I feel bad but jeez. To be fair, it's far worse than anyone could have predicted. But no one should have predicted a good outcome.

It would be like teaming up with Nintendo to build an online gaming network. What else do you expect?

This is an incredibly ridiculous post.

Zalman

Please tell me you're not serious.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This is an incredibly ridiculous post.
Have you ever worked business deals? It's pretty shameful to make a deal then publicly call out your partner. Apple never publicly called out ATT for the iPhone, even though we all knew they hampered the phone.

Have you ever worked business deals? It's pretty shameful to make a deal then publicly call out your partner. Apple never publicly called out ATT for the iPhone, even though we all knew they hampered the phone.

Stop being silly. Fangamer simply stated that as soon as they receive assets from Comcept, orders will be fulfilled. Backers never directly gave money to Fangamer.

If AT&T directly caused a sixth month delay of a new iPhone users had already paid for, you know full well Apple would address it publicly.

Same as the people who backed MN9. Should have known better. I feel bad but jeez. To be fair, it's far worse than anyone could have predicted. But no one should have predicted a good outcome.

In hindsight, sure. But people couldn't have known this from the jump.

Alphahawk

Fangamer had no reason to suspect that Comcept wouldn't be able to deliver. There aren't a whole lot of precedents yet for this business model. Now if Fangamer partners with Comcept in the future for a similar type of thing than blame them all you want, but as the case stands Fangamer had no reason to suspect that this would turn into the debacle it's been.

HardRojo

How did that Red Ash stuff pan out anyway? He's going forward with it despite his reputation having gone down the crapper with the whole MN9 fiasco?

How did that Red Ash stuff pan out anyway? He's going forward with it despite his reputation having gone down the crapper with the whole MN9 fiasco?
Red Ash failed as a kickstarter but it was "funded" by a bootleg chinese company no one ever heard about

So yeah, it's deader than Kaio King of Pirates.

Alphahawk

I believe the anime was the only thing that got successfully Kickstarted. The game was completely funded by another company only weeks after the Kickstartet failed, which was one of the early warning signs that Comcept may of not understood everything about crowdfunding.

Kusagari

The Red Ash game will never come out.

I'm more curious on what the fuck will happen with the anime that was actually funded.

I believe the anime was the only thing that got successfully Kickstarted. The game was completely funded by another company only weeks after the Kickstartet failed, which was one of the early warning signs that Comcept may of not understood everything about crowdfunding.
Actually, it was funded while the kickstarter was still ongoing and then the pitch was turned into a "stretch goal kickstarter" which was the shadiest fucking shit.

Hey guise we're totes funded and making the game gimme 850 thousand dollars to add even more content to the game pls

I dunno if you were born as a mutant with precognition powers, but if you did, somebody forgot to tell you're special. Most people can't see into the future. Mighty N9 looked like a dream come true for majority and there were no warning signals at all until like well after it was funded and all deals have been made >_>

Thud

At this point, my money would have been better spent on a private live-stream of a snowman slowly melting as the season transitions from winter into spring. I would have gotten more value/enjoyment out of that.

I'd watch that.

Fangamer getting all the shit inafune left behind.

In hindsight, sure. But people couldn't have known this from the jump.
It's not hard to see the used car salesman behind a KS campaign. People really need to pay attention to the hook, how much is being asked for and the rewards. Stay away from "holy shit its that guy!" crowdfunding campaigns because if they were bounced out of the industry it wasn't because they knew what they were doing. If they left and want to come back then you can take a peek but the whole "I can make a game using all these old devs from just these few pieces of concept art!" schtick is pretty fucking thin. Boggles my mind how people keep falling for this stuff. People just need to be more vigilant and not fall for the treasure trove of BS on display in a crowdfunding campaign. It's not difficult.

I'm a dumbass and if I can safely avoid these Kickstarters and not fall for them, anyone can. I get caught up in nostalgia, too, nothing wrong with that - but the equation on display in a campaign is easy to see for what it is. I mean, from the go in the MN9 KS video - it was about "old dev that worked on games" and not "this is a vertical slice of our game". Show me what you are working on, stop talking about yourself and when you are done showing me your game, tell me why YOU and not today's indie devs who put out far better shit than you for far less money, are able to make this game you just pitched me. Don't tell me about who you were, tell me about why you are able to do this NOW. What makes you qualified today? If you are old hat, what have you learned and what changes have you made that are now qualifiers for the money you ask? Instead it's "hey do you remember the time when . . . " Motherfucker I don't give a shit. What makes you capable NOW?

But, nostalgia goggles are a hell of a thing. You can def make a game for nostalgia and pitch it as such, but there needs to be a reason for why you can do this today and it better not be "because we used to". That won't cut it today.

So, yeah, I don't see how it's difficult to avoid KS campaigns that will ultimately end up like this. There's just a few red flags you need to look for and if any one of them are present - abort. There's nothing to it.
I dunno if you were born as a mutant with precognition powers, but if you did, somebody forgot to tell you're special. Most people can't see into the future. Mighty N9 looked like a dream come true for majority and there were no warning signals at all until like well after it was funded and all deals have been made >_>
You don't have to be an ass to who you quoted.

It took 3 minutes and 48 seconds in the KS video before we got ANY game-related info.

3 minutes and 48 seconds of "remember me?"

3 minutes
48 seconds

3:48

3 minutes and 48 seconds of the pitch video before even the fucking name of the game was mentioned.

Dude was selling you who he was, not the game he was pitching. Let that sink in. You don't have to be a precog to see that shit coming. Many people avoided this game because they put 2 and 2 together despite the tug on nostalgia.

That whole pitch video was the equivalent of "don't click links/open files in spam emails" because the IRS, some wealthy guy in a different country or some bogus lottery won't be asking you for banking info through an email levels of obvious.

Dude had every intention of making a game but it was blatantly obvious he didn't even know how to pitch his ideas so he pitched who he was, instead.

Noitshado

Creators on Kickstarter should just stop with over-reaching when it comes to rewards. I pledged 30$ for Kung Fury for the Blu-Ray in 2013, and didn't receive it until a couple of months ago.

That wasn't so bad for me, but the issue was that the day after it was shipped, I got an update telling me that there was a glitch with the discs and that they wouldn't be able to replace them.

Two months later, they came out and said that they wanted to fix it, but that they'd been working for free for the last year just getting the rewards out.

Things did work out though, as the Blu-Ray worked, except for an image artifact appearing for a couple of seconds, but they definitely ended up in a situation where they had spread themselves way too thin to handle all the rewards.

Keep it simple, focus on delivering the product first.

Seeing your Grimes avatar and reading the name Kung Fury I knew right away what kind of content it was lol. Just yesterday I ran into a youtube vid called Turbo killer by carpenter brut and saw they had a kickstarter to make a short movie called Blood Machines. This revival of the past genre is new to me so thought it was so cool and Im watching the short on Kung Fury atm.

With what you said about late rewards and with how badly Mighty n.09 turned out I feel creators and Kickstarter needs realistic planning and accountability if they want to survive and thrive for long. There can only be so many failed projects before pledgers just stop associating with them. Its getting to the same level of Early Access games on Steam. I feel both platforms are great that they exist but if enough high profile projects gets these kinds of attention folks will have a harder and harder time willing to invest into them. I for one sure am no matter how many times I feel interested.

I think part of the problem lies in the stretch goals and pledge ranks setup. I think creators find the need to overstretch and offer so many extra things besides the actual project because a huge chunk of funding is really from the highest pledges and the extra incentives. I dunno maybe a limit in number of stetch goals and pledge ranks and limit to stretch too high from their original funding goal may help keep things from spiralling out of control? Maybe then creators will choose a more realistic initial funding goal. May lead to more failed kickstarters but if they were meant to fail then it would fail before it starts and not lead to negative distrust of everyone involved.

Opa-Pa

The only surprising thing about all this is that Fangamer is willing to burn bridges lmao, but they've always beem devoted to consumers so it makes sense.

I naively thought this is how long it was supposed to take, but lol turns out they're behind schedule... Good stuff Concept, a bright future awaits you.

DVCY201

Was always shocked at the love people had for Inafune. He WAS the person responsible for spearheading Capcom's Westernization projects. Only Dead Rising was of any good that came out of it. Like, it didn't take much to realize that he was off his rocker. Dark Void, Bionic Commando Reboot, DmC. I haven't gotten an OG DMC for 9 years now

This is a pretty good troll post.

Clearly trying to be edgy but not in a way that makes it obvious they're trolling, because it could legitimately be the stance of a crazy person.

RK128

This is shameful that Inafune STILL is messing up. At this point, backers should have gotten physical rewards and those fabled handheld versions (Vita & 3DS) should have released. But nope, his sitting on his pile of money laughing like a mad-man.

Shame that Mighty No. 9 is just 'okay' as if it was Inafune's Sonic 06, it would have been more enteriaining. But the final game is just sad, as it could have been a better experience. Hell, Inti-Crates have better projects that released (Shanate Pirates Curse, Mighty Gunvolt, Gunvolt 1 & 2) that are better than Mighty No. 9.

I'm just glad that Recore ended up being a good/decent game in spite of Inafune and that hopefully, he learned not to be a con-artist with the public anymore. But we will see whenever we get a Red Ash 2 or Mighty No. 10 Kickstarter for sure until we know that......

Sorry if I sound bitter but Mighty No. 9 had no excuse to be as 'meh' as it was when so much money and talent was thrown behind it.

Was always shocked at the love people had for Inafune. He WAS the person responsible for spearheading Capcom's Westernization projects. Only Dead Rising was of any good that came out of it. Like, it didn't take much to realize that he was off his rocker. Dark Void, Bionic Commando Reboot, DmC. I haven't gotten an OG DMC for 9 years now

Laugh if you want but I really loved Bionic Commando 2009 and enjoyed DmC for what it was. But you are correct; Infaune was the one who pushed for those moves. Also worth noting HE is the reason Mega Man is 'sleeping' now; he was the series producer and he signed off on multiple games at once. This resulted in MM Universe, MM MMO, MMX First Person Shooter AND Legends 3 to all enter development at the same time......and this was during a time when the series started to sell less.

If he just signed off on two projects (legends 3 and Universe) and allowed Capcom to be smarter with things (Legends 3 is a console title, Universe is a small release that comes out a year/two later), then maybe the Blue Bomber would have gotten more games. But due to making the series a money pit for Capcom (in addition to past actions), he helped the company get into the hole that it's still clawing it's way out from.

He also threw the Lost Planet 2 team under the bus when it failed to meet expectations, then farmed out the 3rd game to Spark Unlimited. In almost all of his Capcom interviews post-Dead Rising, he comes off like he's having a bit of a mid-life crisis. But nostalgia is a powerful thing, and while as a non-American I can't really relate to the deep love some people seem to have for Megaman, I can understand wanting a new game like the ones you used to love.

Yukinari

And then Inafune will partner with Netflix to release the MN9 cartoon only to fail to release it on time.

What is this man even doing when all he can accomplish is release a sloppy game and go quiet about the extra things hes promised?

SkyOdin

I don't really regret backing Mighty No. 9, since I only backed it for 15 dollars, if I recall correctly. I think the game was at least worth that. I do feel for the backers who asked for physical rewards though. More than anything, it is clear that a whole lot of promises were made during the Kickstarter campaign that were designed to sound good, but it is now obvious that Comcept clearly lacked the foresight on how to execute them.

I'm one of those who thought MN9 was actually okay and that it wouldn't have received half of its criticism had it not been Kickstarted because it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone says it is.

On the other hand the indefensible shit they've done running crowdfund after crowdfund without finishing the previous one was idiotic. Add to that the complete lack of communication, failure to deliver on two promised platforms (which should've been canceled a long time ago), and this backer rewards shitshow is just embarrassing.

And I'm in this lot too. I backed for $60 for an empty retro box with a retro styled manual. I've made my peace if I don't receive it. I'll take it as a lesson learned.

On the other hand I did sunk $100 on Bloodstained. Iga please don't fail me!

People still ain't got their shit?

Like really?
Some did. Plushies, posters and I don't know what else were shipped as early as 2015 but inexplicably the vast majority of physical rewards hasn't been given.

I'm speculating they burned through that money and were expecting to reimburse themselves from the profits the game would've made to make the rewards. And I somehow think MN9 did very little profits as it were.

We'll see how this PR nightmare ends for Inafune.

bumpkin

I've gotten my t-shirts, plushy and poster, but I'm still waiting for a signed strategy guide/art book and the physical boxes for NA and Japan. :(

Tohsaka

Never got my stupid physical box and manual, don't even really care anymore. I already felt screwed over by backing it at that tier for a "physical" copy with a digital code because they reached a deal with a publisher to do a real retail version after the campaign ended with no way to upgrade. Lesson learned, I'm done with Kickstarter.

Oh man I feel bad for Fangamer. What the hell is Comcept doing not sending the required assets so that those physical items can be finished? There is so much shady business practices going on with Mighty No. 9 in general that I do not even know anymore.

Top Bottom