• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 beta has launched

Busaiku

Just got the mail.
Mighty Month Kicks Off with Mighty No. 9 Beta on Steam!

August 31st, 2014 – Seattle: Keiji Inafune surprised the crowd at his PAX Prime panel today by announcing that the beta version of his upcoming action/platformer Mighty No. 9 is now available for eligible backers to download on their PCs via Steam. Backers entitled to the beta as a reward should receive an email sometime in the next 24 hours (by the end of day on Monday, September 1st) with their beta key.

The Mighty No. 9 beta is currently a single level (though Inafune mentioned it will be updated with an additional level or two), and will be used to gather fan feedback as Comcept and developer Inti Creates work on finishing the full game, due to launch in 2015 on all major gaming platforms.

The beta is restricted to backers at the beta reward tier or higher for now (plus the lucky 600 or so fans in attendance at PAX), though Inafune has expressed interest in opening up access to a broader audience via Steam Early Access in the coming weeks.

The beta kicks off “Mighty Month,” a special community-focused event Comcept is putting on at the MightyNo9.com forums through the month of September to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter, with daily trivia, contests, interviews and more.

MINI FAQ
Will the Mighty No. 9 beta be coming to other platforms other than the PC via Steam?
No. Since the beginning of the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter, the beta has only been promised / planned for the PC via Steam.

Is the Mighty No. 9 beta available for download via Steam Early Access?
No. This could change in the coming weeks, but for now the beta is available to eligible backers only.

Are there updates planned to expand the Mighty No. 9 beta?
Yes. The initial beta version is a single level, but there are plans to add another stage or two, along with tweaks and fixes, all as updates in the coming weeks and months.

DMiz

If anybody else is like me and can't remember what the "Beta reward tier" is, it's $80.

Shy missed it. :( Hope that someone gives us more information during this period so we can at least hear more about the game - it's definitely looking up.

It helps that, having played Gunvolt and understanding that Mighty No 9 is going to use a similar mechanic, we have something to go with for now.

bounchfx

If anybody else is like me and can't remember what the "Beta reward tier" is, it's $80.

Shy missed it. :( Hope that someone gives us more information during this period so we can at least hear more about the game - it's definitely looking up.

It helps that, having played Gunvolt and understanding that Mighty No 9 is going to use a similar mechanic, we have something to go with for now.

I went and checked right away, and damnit, I'm not in the 80 tier. That's a bit higher than I had hoped for beta :(

dot

Um....wow. That's really cool! I hope I can get to my computer by tomorrow/Tuesday to finally play this. Gotta preload DR3 too anyways. :)

chrono01

Just to be clear, Mighty Gunvolt is the Mighty No. 9, Gunvolt and GalGun crossover game. It's not Gunvolt itself.
Haha, never mind then. I guess it doesn't really matter to me, since I was planning on purchasing Gunvolt anyway and we get Mighty Gunvolt for free anyway simply by purchasing Gunvolt. :(

Thanks for the clarification, though!

dot

Aww man, I only went up to the 60$ tier. :( oh well, at least we all get Mighty Gunvolt for free...

Just to be clear, Mighty Gunvolt is the Mighty No. 9, Gunvolt and GalGun crossover game. It's not the proper Gunvolt game itself.

Yes, I was aware. Though the name is confusing :) I just meant I wasn't sure if I was going to get gunvolt proper in time to get the free Mighty Gunvolt game.

Cide

If I have backer emails turned off, will I be able to log in the KS site and retrieve the codes?

Crayolan

It's too early for a beta. "A single level" makes it sound more like an early alpha. Time to go check my backer tier I guess.

So not only are we financing that game but we also have to find all the bugs for them?

Hope you're being sarcastic...

The Mighty No. 9 beta is currently a single level (though Inafune mentioned it will be updated with an additional level or two), and will be used to gather fan feedback as Comcept and developer Inti Creates work on finishing the full game, due to launch in 2015 on all major gaming platforms.

shockdude

There are a few ways to get it to work. I currently use mine with the motion-in-joy drivers but the betterDS3 software to configure it.
These days you shouldn't really use MotioninJoy, for various security and stability reasons. Scarlet.Crush's XInput Wrapper is much simpler and much more straightforward.

Edit: Beaten.

Got my mail too! What a pleasant surprise, had no idea this was coming! I'd just turned my computer off to go head to the living room and did an abrupt 180 when my phone chimed at me!

Mzo

this for pc or 3ds? :)

It's 3DS.

Just beat the level, really impressed by it.

My biggest complaint is that you can't jump through the boss doors...

If I figure out how to stream stuff I'll mess around with it more.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
It plays really nice -- and, more importantly, it feels as good as a Megaman title.

bwadqxkceaaxl3e.jpglap4kot.jpg

bumpkin

*sigh* No email yet. :(

For those who have gotten the email, just wondering; what's your Mighty No.? Maybe they're going out in waves like the regular email updates. I'm #21632.

Lucent

I only pledged $20 (enough for the game). I hope that they do do the early access thing. Or at least later give it to all backers.

Busaiku

Certainly feels like the early build it is.
Lots of framerate problems, particularly during the boss fight.
The boss was really annoying being completely random and all. That combined with the framerate issues made it a nightmare. Thankfully this'll likely get better. Still, the completely random nature is annoying.

No voices was absolutely horrible though.
Made the level feel really bad.
Still can't believe that wasn't part of the initial goal. I expect at least like grunts and stuff in this game.
The standard sound effects are really annoying.

Also for those wondering how far down the ladder you are, I'm Mighty No. 913.

Top Bottom