• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No.9 Kickstarter (PS4/XB1 & Vita/3DS are GO!) (Inafune/IC, $4M FUNDED)

R0ckman

They call it a vocal minority for a reason.

Granted I'm sure minority in your dictionary means. "If I don't care, divide the amount of people by 100 and subtract 500".

There are probably a lot of people who don't even know what the hell had been going on and would care. I personally didn't until I found out she was lying and not a fan of the games and working on designs. Which makes a difference in working on something. I care not if someone who's not a fan funds the game.

Its like the difference between a cook who is passionate and a fucking school chef honestly. It baffles me that this needs a break down.

There are probably a lot of people who don't even know what the hell had been going on and would care.

The same could be said for all the people who do know what's going on and don't care enough to say anything.

Its like the difference between a cook who is passionate and a fucking school chef honestly. It baffles me that this needs a break down.

I'm sorry, but what does previous experience with the Mega Man series affect your ability to be a community manager?

R0ckman

So you're capable of learning? Fascinating. Let us know when you stop being a misogynist fuck.

Has nothing to do with her being a woman. I don't even care about her being a feminist. It's the lying, and the general unprofessionalism. Stop fucking straw-manning.

I'm sorry, but what does previous experience with the Mega Man series affect your ability to be a community manager?

She also has a hand in doing design concepts. Again I saw this update when it was first revealed via my phone and did not care until I noticed the lying. I hate the shit out of lies in the work place. I do not want someone who lies representing anybody.

graywords

I see a lot about this person "lying" being a main concern, but I must have missed the details.

Has anyone presented:

A: the two contradicting messages that constitute the lie (exact quotes)
and
B: whatever explanation that the person offered for the contradiction?

Based on those, the questions would be:

1. If it's a misunderstanding, who cares?
2. If it's a blatant lie, is it about something that truly matters?

khaaan

Oh hey, I didn't know there was a Japanese section in the forums as well. Anybody know what they're saying about Dina?

Either way, there's been an official response to the concerns

Will the community manager be skewing things the way they would personally like to see the game? Will the community manager ignore views that don’t match with their own personal ideals? Will the community manager lose the community’s desires due to unfamiliarity with the type of game we are making? Will the community manager be creating their own robots and levels and programming, or changing the game in any way, from what the core creative team wants?! A lot of these or similar questions have been raised.

The good news is that the answer, in all cases, is no.

As far as affecting the game in other ways, rest assured all direction and decisions are still in the hands of all the same people they have been from the start. Everyone should know that choosing a community manager is not something the team took lightly -- all the key players at Comcept were involved in the selection and hiring process, all the way up to and including Inafune himself. We are supremely confident we made a great choice, as we think you will all agree as you get to know Dina and see her work.

Maybe she is a great community manager, who knows? I don't really have an opinion on her but this was probably not the best way for her to start off. I also don't like her art.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, now we can get back on topic.

I understand the concerns about this person having a possible agenda, and it's weird that they aren't avid Mega Man fans, but I think we're all taking this a bit too far.
As posted above, they aren't taking over Mighty No. 9 and making everyone a super powerful girl entity. They are just a community manager who is supposed to be impartial. Maybe not playing Mega Man will help with that.

Give them a chance. Don't let one person become the reason you back out of the project--you're doing more harm backing out than this person could ever do.

khaaan said:
Either way, there's been an official response to the concerns

Thank you for posting this as well! I posted it earlier on this page but nobody noticed.

I dislike the tumblr wave of social fighters (because they seem to devolve in concerned trolls and bullies like the example above)... but, come on. Let the girl do her job.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shoot, completely didn't see it. Though I'm sure plenty of people will gloss over a lot of the thread so reiterating can't hurt.

It's a pretty darn important message too. The more exposure the better!

We should probably clean up the greyed-out idiocy on this page. People like that are what make fanbases so abhorrent.

She also has a hand in doing design concepts. Again I saw this update when it was first revealed via my phone and did not care until I noticed the lying. I hate the shit out of lies in the work place. I do not want someone who lies representing anybody.

Does it even matter in the end? It's not like anything she designs won't be reviewed by a experienced Japanese developer. You could also argue that her lack of experience in the Mega Man series could give the team a additional perspective.

Conan-san

So, from what I can understand from all this, is that she got off the wrong foot by saying some stupid stuff and then some of the MN9 form readers caught wind of her doing social warrior stuff on the side and got concerned that they'd get screwed out of what they put cash down on (which, from all indication would never happen) and then everything went to Tropes vs Women in Video Games?

That about where we at with this?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
So, from what I can understand from all this, is that she got off the wrong foot by saying some stupid stuff and then some of the MN9 form readers caught wind of her doing social warrior stuff on the side and got concerned that they'd get screwed out of what they put cash down on (which, from all indication would never happen) and then everything went to Tropes vs Women in Video Games?

That about where we at with this?

Pretty much. But hey, the internet always needs something to argue about.

Conan-san

Pretty much. But hey, the internet always needs something to argue about.

Thanks for the clear up. Yeah. There might be something to talk about in all this but it's been lost in both sides making a bit of a hash of it to say the least.

She really shouldn't have deleted her posts about not being a Megaman fan, that's like deleting posts saying you're not into Mario because you're a Sonic community manager, but the attacks on her were not on and we've lost the debate of her ability to manage the MN9 community (put in doubt due to above) to the utterly galling rabble of gender issues where Lady Sarkesian's dark word is law.

pizza dog

Banned
Thanks for the clear up. Yeah. There might be something to talk about in all this but it's been lost in both sides making a bit of a hash of it to say the least.

She really shouldn't have deleted her posts about not being a Megaman fan, that's like deleting posts saying you're not into Mario because you're a Sonic community manager, but the attacks on her were not on and we've lost the debate of her ability to manage the MN9 community (put in doubt due to above) to the utterly galling rabble of gender issues where Lady Sarkesian's dark word is law.

Wait that's the longest sentence. Are you actually making Sarkeesian out as some kind of witchy puppetmaster or are you making a joke about dingbats always reacting like she is every time.

Metallix87

I have a serious question for all the people voicing their "disgust" at the backers / fan base and their alleged overreaction: How do you feel about individuals boycotting and/or complaining about Chik-Fil-A? I view the situations as VERY similar.

Why? Some are saying that we should, essentially, take the end product and judge it at face value. Well, if that's the case, wouldn't you all say that Chik-Fil-A deserves your money if their sandwiches taste great, regardless of the beliefs of the individual running the company? If anything, that situation is less egregious than this one, in a sense, since this person is involved in the game's design to some extent, despite potentially being a non-fan of the Mega Man series with little-to-no experience with the franchise. She's pushing radical agendas, some of which may upset backers because of their own beliefs. At least the dude running Chik-Fil-A clearly knows a good chicken sandwich from a bad one.

Now, I'm not here to say that the angry backers are in the right. That's not my stance on this matter. I'm actually not completely sure how I feel about it (yet), though I do lean to agreeing that the end product is what matters most, but I do feel that if said backers feel so strongly about this, they have every right to voice their concerns, and shouldn't be berated because you may not agree with them. Be thankful, though, that so far her influence hasn't resulted in a major change. Just imagine the shit storms that will come if / when her push to make Beck a female character come to fruition.

Enker

The vast majority of hires are made through some kind of social connection.

Right you are. I'm the only one in my department besides my boss that didn't have at least one friend in said department when they got hired. We all work really well together and none of us are dead weight though - very few people will stick their neck out for a friend if they will suck at the job and make them look bad.

Dina could have managed the initial rollout better, but every job has a learning curve if you've never done it before. I'm certainly not going to demand a refund over it. If they changed the existing "official" Mighty Nos just to please a small number of backers? I'd consider it. No. 7 can always be turned female if they want to listen to (some of) us and make a second female boss as it's not a final design. I was a little disappointed when I read that No. 8 was planed to be female, but his design is pretty badass as is and I can see why they kept it.

This will all die down on the 19th when the Call vote starts - and it'll start right back up again when the fans of the losing Calls see the results - especially if F loses.

Kinvara

I have a serious question for all the people voicing their "disgust" at the backers / fan base and their alleged overreaction: How do you feel about individuals boycotting and/or complaining about Chik-Fil-A? I view the situations as VERY similar.

Why? Some are saying that we should, essentially, take the end product and judge it at face value. Well, if that's the case, wouldn't you all say that Chik-Fil-A deserves your money if their sandwiches taste great, regardless of the beliefs of the individual running the company? If anything, that situation is less egregious than this one, in a sense, since this person is involved in the game's design to some extent, despite potentially being a non-fan of the Mega Man series with little-to-no experience with the franchise. She's pushing radical agendas, some of which may upset backers because of their own beliefs. At least the dude running Chik-Fil-A clearly knows a good chicken sandwich from a bad one.

Now, I'm not here to say that the angry backers are in the right. That's not my stance on this matter. I'm actually not completely sure how I feel about it (yet), though I do lean to agreeing that the end product is what matters most, but I do feel that if said backers feel so strongly about this, they have every right to voice their concerns, and shouldn't be berated because you may not agree with them. Be thankful, though, that so far her influence hasn't resulted in a major change. Just imagine the shit storms that will come if / when her push to make Beck a female character come to fruition.

I don't feel like the situation is the same at all.

She's a minor contributor to the Mighty No.9 team whereas Chik-Fil-A uproar was because the CEO made terrible comments and also donated to anti-gay hate groups.

Also, I haven't seen anything yet that defines her as a "radical"? Wanting more diverse representation in media isn't a very radical position. Even so, she is not in a position to make drastic changes to the game.

EDIT. Where are these "radical" twitter comments? I don't know how to navigate twitter at all.

Metallix87

I don't feel like the situation is the same at all.

She's a minor contributor to the Mighty No.9 team whereas Chik-Fil-A uproar was because the CEO made terrible comments and also donated to anti-gay hate groups.

Also, I haven't seen anything yet that defines her as a "radical"? Wanting more diverse representation in media isn't a very radical position.

I would describe applauding Sweden dropping male and female pronouns to be a radical position.

Also, her comments on Twitter prove she's ignorant to the franchise, which to me is more damning than donating money to a cause I don't believe in, as was the case for Chik-Fil-A.

EDIT. Where are these "radical" twitter comments? I don't know how to navigate twitter at all.

You'd have to go back to Nov 2012, when she was applauding Sweden for dropping "him" and "her" from school language.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
She's the farthest thing from "radical" in real life. I haven't seen all of what she's written online, but I find it INSANE that anyone would call her a feminazi.

Kinvara

I would describe applauding Sweden dropping male and female pronouns to be a radical position.

Also, her comments on Twitter prove she's ignorant to the franchise, which to me is more damning than donating money to a cause I don't believe in, as was the case for Chik-Fil-A.

A new prounon is radical now? Sweden made the gender neutral pronoun official in response to intersex/gender fluid individuals desiring recognition. There's nothing wrong with that. Using gender neutral pronouns to teach kids is a pretty good idea too.

Someone not knowing about a video game franchise is worse than Chik-Fil-A donating to groups like the Family Research Council which is pretty much a hate group against LGBT individuals? Ridiculous.

Metallix87

She's the farthest thing from "radical" in real life. I haven't seen all of what she's written online, but I find it INSANE that anyone would call her a feminazi.

That's all a perspective issue, though. I think everyone is entitled to believe whatever the hell they want to believe, but I think condemning people because they're shocked and appalled both by her lack of knowledge of Mega Man and also at least some of her beliefs being very far left, is just a little silly. To me, at least.

Someone not knowing about a video game franchise is worse than someone donated to groups like the Family Research Council which is pretty much a hate group against homosexuals?

To me, the latter is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, since I just want a chicken sandwich. I don't agree with his views or the group's views, but that's his money to do with whatever he likes. I'm paying for his product, not joining in his backwards agenda. Just like if this woman were to donate some of her money to some feminist groups, it would be her money to do freely with. That being said, to me, lack of knowledge of the franchise to which you are developing the spiritual successor IS important, because it can effect the end product in some way, albeit very little since her roll is so minor.

pizza dog

Banned

It's insane anybody ever says "feminazi" out loud at all.

Chik-fil-A dude stood for enshrining in law the idea that some people are less than others. This lady thinks it's cool Sweden is pushing against the gender binary in a bid to bring more harmony to the world. So, you know, those aren't really similar at all.

Metallix87

Chik-fil-A dude stood for enshrining in law the idea that some people are less than others. This lady thinks it's cool Sweden is pushing against the gender binary in a bid to bring more harmony to the world. So, you know, those aren't really similar at all.

And yet people disagree with one or both of those. The point is, to me, that's all irrelevant, as long as the end product is good. Her lack of knowledge of Megaman, in turn, could have affected that end product quality if she were in a more major position.

Kinvara

That's all a perspective issue, though. I think everyone is entitled to believe whatever the hell they want to believe, but I think condemning people because they're shocked and appalled both by her lack of knowledge of Mega Man and also at least some of her beliefs being very far left, is just a little silly. To me, at least.

To me, the latter is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, since I just want a chicken sandwich. I don't agree with his views or the group's views, but that's his money to do with whatever he likes. I'm paying for his product, not joining in his backwards agenda. Just like if this woman were to donate some of her money to some feminist groups, it would be her money to do freely with. That being said, to me, lack of knowledge of the franchise to which you are developing the spiritual successor IS important, because it can effect the end product in some way, albeit very little since her roll is so minor.

The only people who would describe her as "radical" are people that are deeply entrenched in backwards social attitudes to begin with.

Her role is minor- the uproar is completely uncalled for. Threatening to pull your money because of one low-level person on an otherwise very experienced and talented team is a crazy overreaction.

Metallix87

The only people who would describe her as "radical" are people that are deeply entrenched in conservatism to begin with.

Her role is minor- the uproar is completely uncalled for. Threatening to pull your money because of one low-level person on an otherwise very experienced and talented team is a crazy overreaction.

I don't think you have to be "deeply entrenched in conservatism" to think that dropping the pronouns "him" and "her" in favor of "friend" in school is radical, but that's besides the point. My point was, if people want to be upset about it, they have every right to be, just like the Chik-Fil-A protesters. And, mind you, I'm saying this while disagreeing with both of those groups. I believe in her right to be a feminist, to whatever degree she is one, and I also think that if the CEO of CFA wants to donate his money to some nutjob anti-gay group, well that's his right, too, and as long as you enjoy the end product, how they spend their time and money should be of little-to-no concern to anyone.

As for your later point, to them, it's clearly not. They feel it's justified, and again, that's a perspective issue.

Either way, this is getting nowhere, so I'm out. I just wanted to try to explain how perspective is key here, and that their perspective on the matter is their's, and shouldn't be just dismissed, ridiculed, and trashed because you disagree.

Kinvara

I don't think you have to be "deeply entrenched in conservatism" to think that dropping the pronouns "him" and "her" in favor of "friend" in school is radical, but that's besides the point. My point was, if people want to be upset about it, they have every right to be, just like the Chik-Fil-A protesters. And, mind you, I'm saying this while disagreeing with both of those groups. I believe in her right to be a feminist, to whatever degree she is one, and I also think that if the CEO of CFA wants to donate his money to some nutjob anti-gay group, well that's his right, too, and as long as you enjoy the end product, how they spend their time and money should be of little-to-no concern to anyone.

As for your later point, to them, it's clearly not. They feel it's justified, and again, that's a perspective issue.

Either way, this is getting nowhere, so I'm out. I just wanted to try to explain how perspective is key here, and that their perspective on the matter is their's, and shouldn't be just dismissed, ridiculed, and trashed because you disagree.

Except Sweden doesn't use the pronouns "him" and "her" because they speak Swedish- not English- which has a different set of rules, history, connotations, etc. so what seems radical and weird in English obviously wouldn't seem that way in another.

And there's a difference between honest opinions and hateful beliefs which have no basis in reality.

omg, all of this because someone wants megaman mk. 2 to be a girl? you sad nostalgic fucks. gtfo my hobby.

NO NOSTALGIA FUTURE. BAN ALL CANON.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
omg, all of this because someone wants megaman mk. 2 to be a girl? you sad nostalgic fucks. gtfo my hobby.

NO NOSTALGIA FUTURE. BAN ALL CANON.

That was a quick ban! We're losing spammers left and right today!

Karkador

Banned

They're not similar. Chik-Fil-A was actively donating millions of dollars to anti-gay organizations. They even had a vice president help start one of those organizations.

Let's not pretend that any part of this girl's opinions , "agenda" or involvement with the game project is in any way as alarming and objectively offensive as a corporation actively donating millions of dollars to the effect of undermining the civil rights of others.

Even if we say those two are equally bad, the truth is that giving money to Chik-Fil-A is (or at least, was) a much surer way of having our money end up going towards objectionable organizations, as the Kickstarter was made to fund a game, not to donate to organizations, and one Community Manager (even with modest creative input) is not going to derail the game into something you're going to hate. If the game's creative team was that easy to sway, this game would probably doomed no matter what.

I would say that being this troubled over what a girl knows about Megaman, more so than being troubled by a large corporation supporting anti-rights organizations, is the radical position.

i can't believe that this folderol is ENTIRELY over the nostalgia of entitled white male 30-something nerds.

if i were rich, i would give comcept X million bucks to make mega man v2.0 a transgendered robot that battles dr. colonialist wily. defeat a boss, collect that robot's genitals and self-install for PRIVILEGE POWERS

Top Bottom