• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty No. 9 special demo now live

Noticed when I went to go play some MGSV:TPP, that my Mighty No.9 game was in the process of updating. So I checked it out.....

mighty-no-9-special-demo.png
So instead of going live on the 15th, it's live now, for Kickstarter backers that is.

I put some gameplay up on my site, it sucks but then again I was trying to get the story out.

Here

Update: Now Youtube finishes encoding the video.... so, you can see the sucky gameplay - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy4NbaSYnDs

Ripped the music from the game, apparently it had all of the original and 8-bit tracks. Enjoy.

http://goo.gl/Mtuw7T

khaaan

When they announced this previously, it was only stated for the PC, since the PC also had the alpha/beta versions.

Hmm, dug through my emails:

We are releasing an exclusive Trial Ver. for all of our Mighty No. 9 backers!!!

The team at comcept and all of our partners are currently working on solving the online issues with Mighty No. 9, however the single-player content is in a complete state. We would like our backers to have a chance to play the near-complete game, so we are releasing this Trial Ver. which has more volume and functionality compared to the original beta test we conducted. The release of this Trial Ver. is planned for September 15th, so make sure to clear your schedule! We will start sending out codes to our backers a few days earlier than the actual release. This Trial Ver. is planned to run for a full month after release, but will be taken down after that.

Guess I'll just sit and wait.

My only real complaint is the repetitive voice clips when you dash into dudes. And that I still don't like how bosses don't have i-frames after being hit.

The music is actually really good.

Elman

My only real complaint is the repetitive voice clips when you dash into dudes. And that I still don't like how bosses don't have i-frames after being hit.

I agree with the voice clips, but the lack of i-frames better suits the game, assuming there isn't a charge shot. It looks like they want Mega Man 1-3's shooting mechanics with Mega Man X's movement.

I agree with the voice clips, but the lack of i-frames better suits the game, assuming there isn't a charge shot. It looks like they want Mega Man 1-3's shooting mechanics with Mega Man X's movement.
Even MM1-3 had the i-frames, I just don't like how it changes how bosses work. From getting an opening for a shot or two, and changes it to a window of time to mash.

Still, it's just my preference. I'd also kinda like a true wall jump, but it looks like the limited grip walls are an interesting alternative.

jholmes

Wow, launching this on the Super Mario Maker launch day is a bad idea, at least for me. I'll be ignoring this for a good little while.

Ehh like Comcept cares about the backers anyway

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The cutscenes are so cringeworthy. Levels still seem bland, they could've made multiple stages for each chapter/boss, there's no excuse to stick to Mega Man formula. Look at stuff like Rayman Origins or DKTF. 8 worlds with a few levels each. If you aren't gonna animate the characters speaking, don't show them in closeups. Music is almost not even there.

"Ready, go!" Then a two minute cutscene starts immediately. Wow.

The gameplay might be good, idk, but boy does it ever look cheap. Dash to kill mechanic seems tacky. Less than fine. Much less.

Weird game. The VA is excellent and the core gameplay seems good, but it seems like either the engine they are using is very underpowered or they're intentionally skimping on the graphics...

Basically, it looks like a Wii game on an emulator rather than a game coming out in 2015.

Danji

So do you get a download link or how?

I was a backer and I haven't received anything

It updated the Beta and made that the Special Demo. Fun fact: The Beta is just blatantly the final game that's going to be updated at launch, so if you're on PC and paid enough for the Beta tier then you should absolutely not select the PC version as your desired platform.

Dr. Buni

Gameplay doesn't look "sucky" at all to me. I guess this game might be bound to be badly reviewed even if it is actually good.

Durante

Weird game. The VA is excellent and the core gameplay seems good, but it seems like either the engine they are using is very underpowered or they're intentionally skimping on the graphics...
8 platforms, including handhelds.

And still people expect you to be totally thrilled every time a Kickstarter reaches additional platform stretch goals :p

213372bu

Banned

Basically, it looks like a Wii game on an emulator rather than a game coming out in 2015.

The VA isn't exactly "excellent" IMO

Beck's dash generic exclamations got old quick and the professor had some rough patches.

"Sanda you still there? ... have the robots torn you to pieces?"

Not horrible.. but ehh.

RM8

I'm okay with unimpressive graphics since I'll get it on 3DS in addition to PC. So I get the "best" and the "worst" versions :p

Should I expect an email soon, then?

antitrop

Aside from the amateur looking graphics and animation, the gameplay looks really good.

The insipid dialogue seems completely unnecessary and annoying.

exfatal

Am i the only one interested in this story? Maybe we will get a sequel where Will is dead, and its the future Mighty #9 is all bad ass... kinda like reboot

Danji

You want some legit opinions from a guy who's dumped too much time into the beta's and now this special demo? This game is mechanically a mess. Edge grabbing, infinite dashes, powerups that show up in specific enemies throughout a level makes it feel random on your first playthrough and inconsistent past that (because sometimes you can do more damage without the damage enhancer because the piercing bullet attribute keeps you from firing more than 3 bullets.) None of these are good things to put in a Megaman-esque platformer.

That's all ignoring the level design which is bland as hell. None of the levels have anywhere near the inventiveness of even MMX4. A lot of the original Mega Man and X series had level mechanics that make them distinct from each other. So far, in all 5 of the levels that they've let us beta backers (and special demo owners) try, the full variety has been "Water level physics, landmines, really big buzzsaws, ice level." All of the levels are full of really cheap deaths with 1 hit kill hazards everywhere and enemies that knock you into them.

This game is anything but a successor to Megaman. It makes X8 look good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
looks fine. whats with the dash mechanic? doesnt seem to have a cooldown or a meter?

bounchfx

holy wow the comments on this game are really split. it looks fun to me, though i'm a bit confused as to why I've received no emails regarding this even though I've backed it.

I just want to see more of the game. different environments/powerups, etc. right now everything I've seen looks the same

MrBadger

I don't get why they think the story is noteworthy enough enough to put that much emphasis on. Mega Man's always reminded me of Astro Boy, but this storyline is like that lame Astro Boy CG movie. It even has that same blue tint on everything. Also it's hilarious how the characters don't even move.

Gameplay looks fun though.

Mengetsu

The only thing bothering me is the damn sound effect when Beck jumps and the VA which can be switched to Japanese so no worries. Still for a game with a budget that good it sucks they don't even have different emotions. Even if they don't even have the characters lips moving still feels really cheap and I dont see much a reason for the delay of the game. Looks done as can be.

Well it looks fun.
There are some really hectic moments that look like a good challenge, interested to see how far they take it in different levels.

Fbh

Looks decent. But honestly, even as a Mega Man fan this looks like the type of game I'd only play at a heavy discount or if it's ever free on Ps+.

Take way Inafune's name and it looks like an average Mega Man clone

Top Bottom