• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Miiquality | Bringing same-sex relationships to Nintendo's Tomodachi series

HowZatOZ

Banned
Hard to say. Cancel it today with an apology and the story is dead in a few days...release it in June as planned and more damage will be done to the company if the campaign keeps up until the game releases.

In the long term it might be better to cut the story dead now by quickly cancellng it. It could drown out/damage the Mario Kart 8 launch coverage if the controversy is still going on (as it launches around the same time)....alternatively I suppose they could bring the release forward if the stock is here already and just dump what they have made at retail in a soft launch and replace any booked advertising spots for the game with ads for other titles.
That is an utterly stupid decision, and one I hope Nintendo do not do. I really want to play Tomodachi Life, it looks crazy and quirky which is right up my alley. I'm also all for equal marriage but the expectations that Nintendo are being blasted with right now are just absurd when you consider its a bare minimum port, and the OP's campaign wasn't even aimed at the port but future sequels.

I don't want this campaign to be swept under the carpet, it should be pushed further and further on not just Nintendo and the Tomodachi series but on to the entire industry. Society is changing, so why not the industry that we all love? While I may be stating that a port that is getting the bare minimum done to it for localisation is just not feasible to change, that doesn't mean I don't want to see these changes in future titles of Tomodachi. What I am saying though is the current flak that Nintendo are receiving for not changing their stance on an already done and dusted localisation port is just absurd.

Hard to say. Cancel it today with an apology and the story is dead in a few days...release it in June as planned and more damage will be done to the company if the campaign keeps up until the game releases.

In the long term it might be better to cut the story dead now by quickly cancellng it. It could drown out/damage the Mario Kart 8 launch coverage if the controversy is still going on (as it launches around the same time)....alternatively I suppose they could bring the release forward if the stock is here already and just dump what they have made at retail in a soft launch and replace any booked advertising spots for the game with ads for other titles.

Nintendo should just release the game as it is, or patch it if they can. And include LGBT representation in a potential Tomodachi Life 2.

Cancelling the game isn't going to make anyone happy.

Canon

Banned
Wow, if this actually blows up so much that Nintendo cancels the game I can tell you right now that will do nothing but hurt this movement and piss even more people off.

People are expecting them to do way too much with an unproven IP in the west, it's as if people don't care about the game itself and just want to "prove a point."

Taker666

It's not hard to say. Considerable resources were already spent in localizing it, and QA and marketing schedules were manipulated. People are overestimating the negative effect the campaign will have, because if it was that damaging the exclusion wouldn't have happened in the first place. Also, it's safe to say that huge sales for this game weren't expected by Nintendo in the first place, which probably also factored into the decision not to spend the extra money to fix the only the gameplay-affecting aspects of the bug and let same sex relationships rock.

The best scenario would be the scheduled release with the campaign going so the suits learn something.

I wouldn't say that. Iwata was pushing it as the next Animal Crossing for the west at the investor meeting yesterday...seemingly with strong backing. Tomodachi and Pokemon were singled out as their two big games for Europe/USA markets...obviously that's likely to change now.

Marlowe89

People are expecting them to do way too much with an unproven IP in the west, it's as if people don't care about the game itself and just want to "prove a point."

I can certainly agree with one thing - I'm not getting the impression that the game is garnering much interest in the West outside of this "controversy".

ayrix

Neo Member
TBH I don't quite agree with the wheelchair comparison. Generally speaking, your sexual orientation does not inconvenience you or lower your quality of life (the discrimination and hate that is sometimes unfortunately inspired by it does but that's not an inherent part of your sexual orientation). However, people who have to use wheelchairs do so because they have some sort of physical disability and I think it's safe to say that pretty much all of them would like to change that if they could, so not including Mii characters in wheelchairs in the game isn't really the same. There are good reasons for including them: raising the presence of people with disabilities in the media to raise overall awareness, for example. But it's a different issue altogether from including different sexual orientations IMO. (Please note that I'm not saying that either one of these issues is more important than the other. I'm just saying they're different.)
The issues of us disabled people are near identical to those faced in sexual or racial discrimination.
That is the discrimination.

We don't want to change and are accepting of who we are.
Miracle cures are generally sought by ableists who can't accept that their child/partner etc. is disabled. We generally just want to live our lives and want things to help us go about that RIGHT NOW, not in the future.

In regards to representation in media, we do not like getting written out of existence and would very much like more characters we can directly relate to (the same issue as here). Also more representation so that so that others see us as normal people and don't try to do or say anything offensive and/or patronizing. Might also help people remember we're there when designing things (I can easily see most wheelchair users hating architects).

Canon

Banned
Because people want to feel like their sexuality is represented and appreciated?
Are you trying on purpose to put words in my mouth?

The headlines are nothing but hyperbole and damaging Nintendo's reputation. People will read that, not bother to read the article (as if it would be accurate anyway), and come away with a negative opinion on the entire company and not even know about the game itself.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I can certainly agree with one thing - I'm not getting the impression that the game is garnering much interest in the West outside of this "controversy".
I've seen infiltrate a lot of my circle of friends, especially those who love the Animal Crossing series or Sims and aren't too into gaming as a whole. Even had some of my friend's children ask about it so the game is getting attention. Of course, its also getting attention like being labelled as an anti-gay movement but hey, media.

Well, even if it's too late for this game. I'm sure that something like this can have an impact and hopefully open Nintendo's mind, and other developers.

The headlines are nothing but hyperbole and damaging Nintendo's reputation. People will read that, not bother to read the article (as if it would be accurate anyway), and come away with a negative opinion on the entire company and not even know about the game itself.

Sometimes we forget about the real victims: multinational corporations with professionals on payroll to deal with such negative press.

thekin

Banned
In counter-factual land where Nintendo is somehow actually making games specifically for a gay audience, I imagine we would've heard some complaints from bigots, but would probably not have had an outcry, no.

Of course, that's largely because the context would be completely different. Straight people don't experience discrimination, dehumanization, and denial of existence on a regular basis. Straight people are the status quo--the hypothetical game would very obviously be aimed at a gay audience, so why would they even care to begin with? Pretty much every other game in existence acknowledges them and their relationships, and if they want a game that is specifically about relationships, they have tons of options.

I can't quite decide which aspect of conservative Nintendo fans would win out--would they deride the game because they don't care about gay people, or would they defend the game as a quirky work of genius because they love Nintendo?

It would be interesting!

I see what your saying but i what everyone keeps forgetting is that nintendo is a japanese company and lets not lie to our selves this game was made mainly for that market, and japan currently has no laws against homosexuality, but there is no legal recognition of same-sex relationships. taking that into context this would make sense why they do not add same sex in the game.

What i really don't understand is if they never had any intention of adding same sex marriage in the game why are people trying to force them to add it in. Can't people see that this is no different from forcing a homosexual person to add a heterosexual in his novel or movie? The truth is you cant make everyone happy?

mavs

I see what your saying but i what everyone keeps forgetting is that nintendo is a japanese company and lets not lie to our selves this game was made mainly for that market, and japan currently has no laws against homosexuality, but there is no legal recognition of same-sex relationships. taking that into context this would make sense why they do not add same sex in the game.

What i really don't understand is if they never had any intention of adding same sex marriage in the game why are people trying to force them to add it in. Can't people see that this is no different from forcing a homosexual person to add a heterosexual in his novel or movie? The truth is you cant make everyone happy?

They made a game using the virtual representations of real people they have been encouraging people to make of themselves. If they didn't see this coming it's on them.

A novel isn't written to be interactive or have dynamic outcomes. Your comparison to an entirely different medium doesn't work.

Canon

Banned
Sometimes we forget about the real victims: multinational corporations with professionals on payroll to deal with such negative press.
I can't help but feel bad for Nintendo, they are constantly bombarded with negative press and most of the time they're misquoted. How many people even realize this wasn't a removed feature, but a fixed glitch? Not many. Nintendo is not saying "no to Gay marriage," that's absurd but it's click bait and it helps these sites who probably don't care get hits.

I guess I'm just not a part of this new hyper politically correct culture. Everyone is offended by something, even if you try your best to please everyone. This is a general statement for every issue.

thekin

Banned
Wow, if this actually blows up so much that Nintendo cancels the game I can tell you right now that will do nothing but hurt this movement and piss even more people off.

This is what i have been saying, most of the people supporting this campaign have zero interest in the game and do not plan to every buy it. They are just trying to make a point.

etrain911

Nintendo is damaging it's own reputation by remaining out of touch here. They could have responded any number of ways including "it's not possible now, but we are conscious of it and we hope to include it in the sequel". Instead they chose "we're not trying to make social commentary" and in doing so have successfully made social commentary. Nintendo is not a human being with feelings, so no, I don't really have any sympathy for them if their game doesn't sell well here.

This is what i have been saying, most of the people supporting this campaign have zero interest in the game and do not plan to every buy it. They are just trying to make a point.

I think the person who started the campaign was VERY interested in supporting and playing the title. Have you watched the video in the OP?

APF

I can't help but feel bad for Nintendo
You feel bad for an inanimate concept with enormous cash reserves getting bad press for its business decisions, but not for people who have had to live their entire lives disenfranchised.

thekin

Banned
What the hell are you talking about?

I'm talking about this:

"The patch will be available in the near future and fixes the following after the same-sex marriage occurs:

• Inability to boot up the game.
  • General errors.
  • Inability to save.
  • Received a notice on the Home menu’s notifications from a child sent on a journey, but no actual message is there."
Link to the full article
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/05/1...iage-glitch-in-tomodachi-collection-new-life/

fernoca

Nintendo is damaging it's own reputation by remaining out of touch here. They could have responded any number of ways including "it's not possible now, but we are conscious of it and we hope to include it in the sequel". Instead they chose "we're not trying to make social commentary" and in doing so have successfully made social commentary. Nintendo is not a human being with feelings, so no, I don't really have any sympathy for them if their game doesn't sell well here.
Though they did said it:
We have heard and thoughtfully considered all the responses
We will continue to listen and think about the feedback. We're using this as an opportunity to better understand our consumers and their expectations of us at all levels of the organization.
...just after the "social commentary" .:p

They won't obviously say that they will definitely add it the sequel since there's no sequel announced/teased/rumored at the moment.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Cancelling the game, especially after press copies have been sent, would just hurt Nintendo more.

As for it to happen in a sequel:

To that, Nintendo told the AP that it's "carefully and thoughtfully" considered the responses it'd received via Twitter and the like, and it will continue considering the feedback. "We're using this as an opportunity to better understand our consumers and their expectations of us at all levels of the organization."

I guess that's encouraging.

You know this how? I'd LOVE to play this game. That's (a small) part of the reason I'm so bent out of shape about the whole thing.

I can't help but feel bad for Nintendo, they are constantly bombarded with negative press and most of the time they're misquoted. How many people even realize this wasn't a removed feature, but a fixed glitch? Not many. Nintendo is not saying "no to Gay marriage," that's absurd but it's click bait and it helps these sites who probably don't care get hits.

Well, they're also not supporting same sex partnerships in the context of their game. I feel like we get into a semantic-based non-starter when we start trying to distinguish between whether they're opposed or just not for this campaign given their response.

I guess I'm just not a part of this new hyper politically correct culture. Everyone is offended by something, even if you try your best to please everyone. This is a general statement for every issue.

I feel like this is drivel that ignores that the originator of the campaign is a passionate fan and not just some random yahoo that is eager to be offended for effect.

jorgeton

The whole argument that b/c same-sex marriages are unrecognized in Japan, it's ok to exclude in the game is ridiculous. Last time I checked murder was illegal everywhere, yet games contain that in spades.

Annubis

Straight people are the status quo--the hypothetical game would very obviously be aimed at a gay audience, so why would they even care to begin with?!

Revert that around again, and you'd ask why gay people are so interested in this game when they shouldn't care about it =/

Harlequin

The issues of us disabled people are near identical to those faced in sexual or racial discrimination.
That is the discrimination.

I specifically mentioned that I wasn't talking about the discrimination.

We don't want to change and are accepting of who we are.
Miracle cures are generally sought by ableists who can't accept that their child/partner etc. is disabled. We generally just want to live our lives and want things to help us go about that RIGHT NOW, not in the future.

*sigh* You seem to be misunderstanding what I'm saying. That part of my post was entirely hypothetical. It was along the lines of "if there was a miracle cure available right now at no cost at all would you choose to use it?" I'm pretty sure most people with disabilities would (why wouldn't they?). However, if you asked an LGBTQ person whether they would become straight if they had the choice, there would probably be many who would say no (I would say no). The difference is that a person who sits in a wheelchair does so because they have some sort of disability or illness which inconveniences them (in more ways than just due to stupid people discriminating against them) but a non-heterosexual sexual orientation is not an illness or a disability and it does not inherently inconvenience you in any way. I'm not at all saying that you cannot lead a happy and fulfilling life with a disability. I'm saying that a disability, at the end of the day, is going to be something undesired and inconveniencing, while sexual orientation is entirely neutral. (Well, okay, looking at it from an evolutionary point of view you could definitely argue that homosexuality is a bad thing but that's a discussion for another thread.)

In regards to representation in media, we do not like getting written out of existence and would very much like more characters we can directly relate to (the same issue as here). Also more representation so that so that others see us as normal people and don't try to do or say anything offensive and/or patronizing. Might also help people remember we're there when designing things (I can easily see most wheelchair users hating architects).

Uhm, you're pretty much agreeing with me there. I said that raising the presence of people with disabilities in the media was a good reason for including Miis in wheelchairs (or Miis with other disabilities).

Yagharek

Ive been trying to think of an argument as to why this shouldn't be a problem, but I keep coming back to this key point: this is an issue where a neutral stance really isn't a constructive one.

I think the simplest issue for them is to patch the game to allow gay marriage if its too late to include it in the shipped version. Maybe to be safe patch it in behind an age gate, but only because hyper-sensitive conservative parents are going to be less accepting of gay marriage than kids will be.

This is one issue though that no matter which side they come down on, someone will be upset. So they may as well come down on the ethical side and support it.

Tomohawk

Well, they're also not supporting same sex partnerships in the context of their game. I feel like we get into a semantic-based non-starter when we start trying to distinguish between whether they're opposed or just not for this campaign given their response.

I feel like this is drivel that ignores that the originator of the campaign is a passionate fan and not just some random yahoo that is eager to be offended for effect.

I dont think it even matters if the person campaigning wasn't a passionate fan. If the argument is sound that is all that should matter. I think bringing up stuff like hyper politically correct age shows an unwillingness to engage in the discussion and just discredit the movement.

Canon

Banned
You feel bad for an inanimate concept with enormous cash reserves getting bad press for its business decisions, but not for people who have had to live their entire lives disenfranchised.
I can feel bad for both. Or are you fine with Fox News bashing Nintendo for things they didn't say, and am I not allowed to feel bad about that?

There's real people working at Nintendo who have to deal with this, so it's not a matter of inanimate objects. "Enormous cash reserves" (which unless you haven't heard, isn't doing so well) doesn't mean anything.

My issue is the journalists who write nonsense about the issue and misrepresent everyone. I don't have a problem with the fan who started it.

I dont think it even matters if the person campaigning wasn't a passionate fan. If the argument is sound that is all that should matter. I think bringing up stuff like hyper politically correct age shows an unwillingness to engage in the discussion and just discredit the movement.

Right. I agree. But sometimes I think it helps us to recognize a real, human element as opposed to assuming that this is just more #Nintendoomed #FireIwata nonsense from the Nintendo-hating NeoGAF that is comprised of nothing but left-wing pussies that would never survive in the REAL world.

WolvenOne

Considering that the game is likely already being printed up as we speak, there was no other way this was going to end.

I mean, they can't really discard any printed materials, just to go back and implement a feature few will take advantage of, and they stand to lose advertising money if they delay it.

So it's best to just release it as is and let the activist types huff until they find some other social injustice to be outraged over.

APF

Or are you fine with Fox News bashing Nintendo for things they didn't say, and am I not allowed to feel bad about that?
Am I ok with a Fox affiliate potentially saying something I don't have an actual quote for? Perhaps.

There's real people working at Nintendo who have to deal with this, so it's not a matter of inanimate objects.
They're called "Public Relations" and it's their job to handle this sort of matter. They're adults, not little children, and if they didn't anticipate potential issues when releasing a game in the US that deals with marriage, then they deserve to deal with bad press relating to their poor business decisions.

thekin

Banned
You know this how? I'd LOVE to play this game. That's (a small) part of the reason I'm so bent out of shape about the whole thing.

I don't, but based on past events that have happened not about same-sex, I can tell you that people would campaign for a product but only a hand full would get it when released, for example here in Nigeria there was a campaign to get back spicy indomie, when it was done the product was back on shelves after 3 months it was cancelled again why because the people the campaigned for it were not buying it.

that's just how people are, they say we want A you give them A but then they do not buy it, Why? all they wanted was to get that satisfaction of winning something.
Its just like arguments people do it just to feel like they accomplished something.

I think the person who started the campaign was VERY interested in supporting and playing the title. Have you watched the video in the OP?

I don't think he was referring to Tye, who is very clearly a Nintendo fan that wanted his and other voices to be heard. He just didn't want those voices to be hateful and misrepresenting facts. Not to say most people are supporting the campaign with no interest in the game, but I'm sure quite a few are.

I would really like Tye to come back and update us on what he thinks of all this. I'm pretty curious.

Marcel

I can feel bad for both. Or are you fine with Fox News bashing Nintendo for things they didn't say, and am I not allowed to feel bad about that?

There's real people working at Nintendo who have to deal with this, so it's not a matter of inanimate objects. "Enormous cash reserves" (which unless you haven't heard, isn't doing so well) doesn't mean anything.

My issue is the journalists who write nonsense about the issue and misrepresent everyone. I don't have a problem with the fan who started it.

Won't someone think of the multi-million dollar corporations?

Canon

Banned
They're called "Public Relations" and it's their job to handle this sort of matter. They're adults, not little children, and if they didn't anticipate potential issues when releasing a game in the US that deals with marriage, then they deserve to deal with bad press relating to their poor business decisions.
Won't someone think of the multi-million dollar corporations?
I don't get this, am I not allowed to feel bad for people you don't personally care about? I know it's "their job," but I'm a fan of Nintendo. I'm a fan of this type of game. I want more to be localized. I don't like it when "news" sources like Fox twist things to fit their narrative.

But obviously I also feel bad for the other side, but I don't feel like this is helping. I'm sorry for having an opinion I guess.

I don't get this, am I not allowed to feel bad for people you don't personally care about? I know it's "their job," but I'm a fan of Nintendo. I'm a fan of this type of game. I want more to be localized. I don't like it when "news" sources like Fox twist things to fit their narrative.

But obviously I also feel bad for the other side, but I don't feel like this is helping. I'm sorry for having an opinion I guess.

I'm with you. We are all sick of Fox News pushing the gay agenda.

Any press is good press, and Nintendo just got this game on a ton of gaming sites more than it would have been.

A lot of people will see it now that wouldn't have. Some may think "Well the lack of gay marriage sucks, but this looks like a lot of fun."

I doubt the campaign has much negative effect on sales.

Meanwhile, nearly every Mario game is about a girl wearing pink getting damseled. *crickets*

BTW, I'm totally for gay marriage, would love to marry my boyfriend one day. Just being a realist on what this could all cause.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I would really like Tye to come back and update us on what he thinks of all this. I'm pretty curious.

I saw him do several interviews with various media outlets today, I'm sure his schedule was pretty stacked. May want to take a little breather, hopefully he's in good spirits.

Marcel

It seems like you want to set and knock down the easy Fox News target, apologize for Nintendo and do the "but I want my video game" thing all at the same time.

Yeah I'm also not sure how helpful that is.

I don't think he was referring to Tye, who is very clearly a Nintendo fan that wanted his and other voices to be heard. He just didn't want those voices to be hateful and misrepresenting facts. Not to say most people are supporting the campaign with no interest in the game, but I'm sure quite a few are.

I'm very excited for this game and totally support Tye and his #Miiquality movement, but I think the entire thing has spun out of control and gotten away from his original intent. Tye wanted to raise awareness; not boycott Nintendo and generate tons of negative press for them.

Top Bottom