• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miiverse, Wii U Chat and Tvii to shut down on November 8

ZeoVGM

Banned
I partly understand why Nintendo won't bring StreetPass to the Switch, as it's not a purely portable console you can throw in your pocket.

But they need to bring Miiverse to Switch when they launch their online service. It was one of the Wii U's most unique and defining features. A feature that Nintendo could use for years to come in their consoles and people will use.

The Switch UI is so lifeless, which is a complete turnaround from the Wii U and 3DS (and even DS).

As long as we save some of the Smash drawings from the Miiverse stage and compile them.

sUBNeog.jpg

Also all the splatoon 1 posts
Oh good Lord no...

jholmes

I loved Miiverse too, but it makes far more sense for Nintendo to encourage their fans to share their screenshots and Splatoon messages on social media where people without a Switch will see them too than to limit their exposure to only people who already own one.

Of course it makes more sense for Nintendo.

It makes zero sense for the people who are supposed to spam their friends about Arms all day long.

Clive

I understand shutting down Wii U features but the 3DS still has some life left in it. Feels like an odd choice shutting down Miiverse tbh. Maybe traffic isn't what it used to be and it was probably more popular on Wii U since it started there and was made a selling point. Won't miss it personally but I find it a bit early.

Fuuuck. This better make a comeback on switch. Switch's social networking system is dead. No, sharing pictures on FB do not count, or does Splatoon's lobby... Freaking Nintendo doesn't even allow switch owners to message their friends.. that's one of the biggest wtfs besides their way of handling voice chat.

It's a shame that voice chat was never really a thing. I never used it either.

I loved Miiverse too, but it makes far more sense for Nintendo to encourage their fans to share their screenshots and Splatoon messages on social media where people without a Switch will see them too than to limit their exposure to only people who already own one.
That's why I preferred Miiverse though. I prefer limiting my gaming conversation to people who actually own their own Nintendo consoles. People on traditional social media often don't know what I'm talking about when I talk gaming.

Holy shit that's sad. Miiverse was a treasure and used excellently by a solid handful of games. It's a shame to see it go. :(

I hope/wish they will at least preserve what is already there, but I doubt they will.

The 3DS is still being supported amirite guys

CrocoDuck

Never really used Miiverse a lot, but something about it was really cool and I enjoyed my time with it.

Anyone remember that really weird guy who fell in love with some girl on Miiverse and it was posted on the internet?

Who in the world really wants to share screenshots of games with witty/funny captions on facebook? You look like a total dweeb doing that because most onfb people wouldn't even get it. There's a big difference doing it on miiverse with people who are in on it, vs something like facebook. It saves Nintendo time and money for not having to moderate stuff and keeping them on their servers.. But for actual gamers, it sucks horribly not to have miiverse.

This wouldn't be as bad if Switch had some way to post drawings other than Splatoon2. Nintendo is really dropping the all with the Switch when it comes to things like this and streetpass and it makes me really upset tbh. I hope they get tons angry letters about it but they won't.

prag16

Banned

The vast majority of the people who would give a shit about my activities on Nintendo consoles were on Miiverse.

The vast majority of the people who would see my activities on "normal" social media don't give a shit about my Nintendo games. Nor should they.

Dumping out the contents of the unique Miiverse community into the muddy swamp of "conventional" social media is a complete waste, and loses the entire identity of what they were trying to do with Miiverse in the first place. I guess they obviously no longer give a shit, which is sad, and just another in a long line of bafflingly stupid decisions by Nintendo. Sure the execution wasn't perfect by any means but Miiverse was the one downright brilliant thing about the damn console.

Pokemaniac

Crap. I should probably do the last couple survey things in Xenoblade X sooner rather than later. It's not clear exactly how tied to Miiverse that game's online is, but I don't want to risk losing my source of reward tickets.

mrkgoo

I tried wii U chat exactly twice. called up a friend who came on line, but I found out it doesn't actually make an alert.

wtf.

Opa-Pa

Hey, I'd rather have Miiverse on Switch too, just pointing out that this is Nintendo choosing the smarter option from a commercial standpoint rather than just being clueless as usual :p

That being said, sharing stuff on Twitter ain't that bad. Personally the vast majority of mutual follows I have there are also into games, and for what is worth, the method actually works. I've purchased a handful of games on the eShop after seeing friends sharing stuff about them constantly, haha.

What a loss. If only Nintendo bothered to support Miiverse on the Switch. Back to square 1 again in bare online features.

Is anyone archiving it? What about that archive group that's archived many long-gone sites and services?

prag16

Banned
Hey, I'd rather have Miiverse on Switch too, just pointing out that this is Nintendo choosing the smarter option from a commercial standpoint rather than just being clueless as usual :p

That being said, sharing stuff on Twitter ain't that bad. Personally the vast majority of mutual follows I have there are also into games, and for what is worth, the method actually works. I've purchased a handful of games on the eShop after seeing friends sharing stuff about them constantly, haha.

Yeah, I'm glad you like it this way and that it works for you. For me it makes no sense and I would never ever use it.

At minimum this is an occasion for whynotboth.gif.

Maybe doing it this way seems marginally better for NIntendo in the short term, but it's worse for the players, which ultimately in the long run is worse for NIntendo.

Part of me thinks Iwata wouldn't have done this.

We'll probably never know for sure what his intentions would have been regarding this. But I tend to agree.

jholmes

I tried wii U chat exactly twice. called up a friend who came on line, but I found out it doesn't actually make an alert.

wtf.

It's funny because in terms of a functioning video chat client it's really easy to use and just consistent and reliable, but since it never prompts you to use it, no one really gave it a shot. Nintendo did so much good work with the chat service but they completely fucked up the landing.

Bye Miiverse, it makes me really sad to see it go. :(

I enjoyed posting to it a lot! My wife would get annoyed when we play co-op games cause I wanted to stop and make a Miiverse post about so many parts of the games lol.

Most of all though I loved using it as a 'memory book' type thing, even now looking back through my posts and screenshots remembering the game I've played. So good. <3

Nintendo being Nintendo, just a cheap ass company. Anything to save a few bucks. Why spend money maintaining servers and moderating things when we can just let them post that crap to 'real' social media stuff instead and we're not involved at all.

No cost, no backlash from dodgy posts that they need to moderate.

Too bad I don't want to spam my Twitter with a pile of random gaming things.

woopWOOP

Woaaaaaah??

Man, I didn't think Miiverse would be gone that quick :(

RIP

I'll miss the US Miiverse's Youtube channel the most. It seems that's where everybody went to for their random off-topic chat and 50% of it was the kind of weird, cringy shit like that Miiverse love story youtube video

This makes me sad. I think I'll miss the Art Academy community the most. Some beautiful work there and the whole community was so supportive.

kunonabi

Miiverse has been super useful for me so it's a shame to see it go. I guess i better make one last ditch effort to 100% pokken tournament and star fox guard before it dies.

Top Bottom