• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Laidlaw (Dragon Age Creative Director) leaves BioWare [Up: DA still alive]

Vena

Hmm, actually those have disappeared.

What are the odds this (as in the staff on the grunt of the work) got folded into the Star Wars projects? The creative staff would then, naturally, begin to leave as their project is...well, dead.

He probably wanted to create a system in Dragon Age 4 where you could kill someone while telling them you're going to romance their spouse after they're dead and then during the sex scene if you perform well enough the spouse says you're better than their original partner but he was by allowed so he quit.

Massicot

The one question I'd ask those who did not enjoy Inquisition's story: Did you play Trespasser?

If we're left with THAT as a cliffhanger, seriously.... fuck you EA.

Trespasser was surprisingly good. I really hope this is just normal business (people change jobs all the time) and not something more tumultuous.

Grisby

lKZ2s.jpg

:(

Tovarisc

So at this point what do Bioware have left?

Mass Effect - dead
DA - possibly dead
New IP - Alive and kicking

Did they have a Star Wars game coming? This would be a disastrous situation to land in if not as they'd be basically hinging on the new IP success while having none of their heritage to fall back on.

I really hope they do have something SW in the works. If they only have the new IP and it flops I could see that being the end of the road for Bioware tbh.

They have team running that SWTOR MMO and apparently it's doing good.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Goodbye Dragon Age resources and hello Anthem and Star Wars projects. Bioware future for the next 10 years.

EDarkness

The one question I'd ask those who did not enjoy Inquisition's story: Did you play Trespasser?

If we're left with THAT as a cliffhanger, seriously.... fuck you EA.

I wanted to pick up that expansion, but couldn't bring myself to slog through the story anymore. I think I played more multiplayer than the single player game. Maybe one day I'll muster the nerve to finish the game. Sadly, it was the main reasons I purchased a PS4, and I don't feel like it was worth it. Glad others liked it, though, but I do wonder if the negative reception it has now is one of the driving forces for why we're not getting another game in the series.

Dinda

So if Dragon Age is dead, so is probably the time for Bioware as a RPG Studio. It's probably Games as Service Shooters like the new IP from here on out....just with a bit more customisation and story as the others so that they can still call those RPGs....

Zukkoyaki

If they're pulling the plug on Dragon Age then a Star Wars project is the natural guess as to where they'd shift resources. The thought of EA's line-up being almost exclusively sports and Star Wars and pretty deflating.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Is this going to turn into a thread about how Bioware is doomed?

Because I really don't think Bioware is doomed.

Mezoly

In my opinion an 89 on Metacritic doesn't mean anything. It's the only Dragon Age game I couldn't bring myself to finish. The story was bad and the questing was even worse. When they started singing somewhere at the beginning of the game, I knew my time with the game was going to be limited.

Even the user score for the game is good. You could dislike the game but you can't paint the narrative that the game is bad because you disliked it which what I've seen happened over the years here.

adj_noun

My deepest, darkest fear post-Andromeda was something happening with Dragon Age that results in Bioware effectively abandoning games like DA or Mass Effect in favor of more multi-player focused fare like Anthem.

This news isn't helping my paranoia. >_>

Pooya

Honestly it doesn't make any sense to release another single player story driven RPG from Bioware. It's too expensive, takes a looong time to make, recently being received very poorly and never sold all that well like 10m or whatever that EA demands. So yeah, I hope you like some GaaS because you're getting a lot of it.

Grisby

In all seriousness though this blows. Good luck to Laidlaw and he always seemed like a swell guy. He did good by DA in my eyes.

I hope the next DA title is coming along (will come out) ok.

NKnight7

Neo Member
If DA4 does end up getting cancelled I can see myself being done with Bioware as a whole, especially with what happened after ME and I just can't get very excited right now for Anthem. Disappointing news. Either way, I wish Mike Laidlaw the best of luck moving forward.

Honestly it doesn't make any sense to release another single player story driven RPG from Bioware. It's too expensive, takes a looong time to make, recently being received very poorly and never sold all that well like 10m or whatever that EA demands. So yeah, I hope you like some GaaS because you're getting a lot of it.

DAI sold very well for EA

They have team running that SWTOR MMO and apparently it's doing good.

Oh that's a great point! Kinda forgot about that. Well at least they have something to fall back on. I just hope it's enough for EA to keep them around for another game if the next should underperform.

Mezoly

You could make a Single Player RPG as a GaaS. It's not common but those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What are the odds this (as in the staff on the grunt of the work) got folded into the Star Wars projects? The creative staff would then, naturally, begin to leave as their project is...well, dead.

There was no major Star Wars WRPG, but if Dragon Age is canceled, I think the most likely outcome is because they decided to start one and sacrifice Dragon Age to make it.

Is this going to turn into a thread about how Bioware is doomed?

Because I really don't think Bioware is doomed.
I don't see a likely scenario where they shut down BioWare, but I do think they might keep changing directions.

Fou-Lu

I love Dragon Age and I don't know what it will be without him. It certainly sounds like he burnt out, so best wishes to him going forward.

Rellik

Goodbye Dragon Age resources and hello Anthem and Star Wars projects. Bioware future for the next 10 years.

This would be incredibly sad and the end of my interest in BioWare. I almost fell asleep during Anthem reveal and I hate Star Wars. Mass Effect and Dragon Age were my jam and it seems BioWare/EA killed both of them.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Best of luck to him.

Dragon Age being axed would be very surprising. DAI did well. Would be quite odd to kill of the franchise or put it on ice like that.

Last 2 dragon age games were rotten, so I saw this coming...honestly Bioware is washed up, they need to transform their dev. culture

also, let's not mention MEA..

Well, fuck. Highly doubt he left just because. Either DA4 got cancelled outright or it's been refocused into something he wants no part of. Either way, this sucks for fans of the series.

Looks like BioWare is truly dead. Wouldn't mind someone kickstarting a spiritual successor to DA;O. Still the best DA game.

adversarial

I don't for a second think this means "Dragon Age is dead".

On the other hand, it is now on the "main" ME team that is working on Anthem to do us all proud and usher in a new age for interactive, fantastical adventures.

Ultimadrago

I mean, DAI wasn't good and DA2 was worse. What would "trouble" mean here.

Pretty much. After Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition, I actually don't mind this news. I'm even relieved in a way, though I suppose the same Bioware is leftover anyways.

Xiao Hu

Can't say I'm too sad about this news since DA went down the shitter for me once he was fully in charge. Good luck on future endeavours tho, Mike

Surfside

Banned
There was no major Star Wars WRPG, but if Dragon Age is canceled, I think the most likely outcome is because they decided to start one and sacrifice Dragon Age to make it.

I don't see a likely scenario where they shut down BioWare, but I do think they might keep changing directions.

I hope Dragon Age still lives. As i would really like to see their take on an open world rpg, after the experience they have gained with Inquisition.

Kolx

The game is still going. There's a zillion job postings for it on BioWare's website.

Edit:

Hmm, actually those have disappeared.

The plot thickens. ME is dead and now DA is dead as well? Bioware better hope Anthem do very well.

Glass Rebel

Oh man, if this actually means that they're working on a Star Wars game...

This fucking company hasn't made anything worthwhile since Mass Effect 2 in 2010 but I really love Star Wars....

Gross on so many levels. The willingness to sacrifice and chase away experienced talent will only serve to hurt them catastrophically in the long-term.

Once you lose these people who have been there from the start it'll never be the same again, Mass Effect being the most recent and comparable example within their own company.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member

It's possible that it's simply a case of all hands on deck for Anthem, for the foreseeable future, and Mike Laidlaw just didn't want to wait literally years before getting started back on the next title in 'his' series.

From all we've heard Inquisition was a very successful game, critically and commercially, so I don't see the Dragon Age being cancelled out of the blue.

But like I said, fingers crossed anyway.

Top Bottom