• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Tyson Planning Comeback

He has basically admitted his heart wasn't into it at that point and was only fighting to pay off debts. Now he looks like he has that fire back from when he was training with Cus. He looks motivated to end his career in a better way
He's 53 and hasn't fought in 15 years. And he was finished back then. He isn't going to fight any active HW with a pulse, nor should he. He'd be destroyed.

A four round exhibition fight, maybe.

Last edited:
It's not unheard of for old boxers to have some success, but it's extremely rare. Duran won a fight at 49 years old. Hopkins actually won a title at 46. Tyson is 53.

I'm sure it won't be more than a 3 round fight. His best bet is probably BKFC. I can see him having success there.
Neither Hopkins nor Duran had been out of the ring for 15 years, though.

Romulus

If you train in mma or boxing, one thing that's hard to deal with is explosiveness. You really can't train for it very well because top guys that have it are so rare. And the brain can't react fast enough to defend against the high level ultra rare cases. Mike is the absolute king of explosiveness, even as an old dude it's still there. It wouldn't shock me if his comeback is a bust, but it also wouldn't shock me if he surprises people. It's such an underrated quality outside of people that understand fighting, whereas most people just think its speed. Not the same at all.

Last edited:
He can still punch a hole through anyone's chest with the amount of force that comes with hitting those pads.

But I think he'll get annihilated in today's boxing world. By round 3 he'll be sucking wind and moving slow. He'd have to land a lucky punch in Round 1 with that type of ferocity.

Romulus

But I think he'll get annihilated in today's boxing world. By round 3 he'll be sucking wind and moving slow. He'd have to land a lucky punch in Round 1 with that type of ferocity.

Even though Mike has gone the distance several times, his game plan was always to get the quick finish. But, what is interesting, for the first time we're seeing a wise Mike Tyson. Even when the dude came back after prison, he still wasn't wise and fighting drugs and demons in his head.
Those days are over if you listen to him. So, in a way, this is something different. Wisdom, peace, and experience combined with unparalleled genetic potential, hard training, and modern supplements and drugs could be something. Probably not a champion, but someone who can really raise eyebrows. I can guarantee you this: no fighter on any level would take Miike Tyson at 53 years lightly. In fact, they would train like its a championship bout, because they understand a wise, well trained Mike Tyson in the 1st and 2nd round will be survival mode. Even at 53.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
Mike looks great, but father time always wins. He was a shell of himself at the tail end of his career, and that wrapped up some 15 years ago. I know some of that had to do with the place he was in mentally, but I'll still take that to be more telling than some short clips of him hitting pads. He'd have nothing more than a puncher's chance right now in any sort of legitimate bout. Even in an exhibition, I personally don't want to see him look bad against some meatball. It was painful enough to see him lose to the Kevin McBrides of the world.

Riven326

Banned
I mean, the dude still looks dangerous as fuck. If he lands even one of those punches, I think it's game over for whoever is on the receiving end. I'm no boxing expert though.

Romulus

Mike looks great, but father time always wins. He was a shell of himself at the tail end of his career, and that wrapped up some 15 years ago. I know some of that had to do with the place he was in mentally, but I'll still take that to be more telling than some short clips of him hitting pads. He'd have nothing more than a puncher's chance right now in any sort of legitimate bout. Even in an exhibition, I personally don't want to see him look bad against some meatball. It was painful enough to see him lose to the Kevin McBrides of the world.

I do not believe in mike coming back and dominating or even making a run. He might surprise with a few fights, that's it. He would still be dangerous, that's it.

But how can you compare him accurately to 15 years ago by saying he's a shell of his former self, but the basis you use is the short clips of him "just hitting pads." You're basically using the only thing we have to go on, drawing a conclusion, then saying the evidence isn't even valid anyway.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
I do not believe in mike coming back and dominating or even making a run. He might surprise with a few fights, that's it. He would still be dangerous, that's it.

But how can you compare him accurately to 15 years ago by saying he's a shell of his former self, but the basis you use is the short clips of him "just hitting pads." You're basically using the only thing we have to go on, drawing a conclusion, then saying the evidence isn't even valid anyway.
I said he was a shell of himself toward the end of his career. I can't fully know what he is now, but I think his performance in his final pro bouts plus time not being on his side hold more weight to me than the clips we're seeing now. I'm not drawing any sort of conclusion, as nothing is ever that definitive with sports - just making an educated guess based on what I know and have seen, which is more than just those clips.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If Foreman could come back, I don't see why Mike wouldn't be able to. Granted he is a lot older than George when he started his comebacks.
Foreman was also just a giant lump who could take a hit and hit hard during his comeback, Tyson's boxing style is much more athletic, not sure you can equate the two.

belmarduk

Isn't he a bit... old these days?

He has a pretty cool show on Adult Swim. It was way better than I thought it would be.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
I'd love to see his soul get removed in the ring in a merciless defeat. Egotistical moronic lunatic.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Iron Mike looking to get back into the ring.

It's pretty surreal to see Mike training like that again. He looks like he has the focus/determination that he did in the 80s. Who knows if this actually ends up happening but seeing Tyson in this form again gave me chills.

Also him talking about "Gods of war" looking like Kratos is cool as shit.

He will go into ring with Jericho at AEW.

He is looking for a comeback just for show events like AEW

DKehoe

He will go into ring with Jericho at AEW.

He is looking for a comeback just for show events like AEW

The gate and potential PPV buys (or rights fee from some streaming platform) from exhibition fights is where the money is. He might pop up in AEW and get paid to do something there but it will be to promote whatever his fight is. Or maybe this whole thing is just a PR stunt for his weed business.

He'll probably get some scrub for a spectacle fight a la Youtbers boxing matches.

If YouTubers can make bank fighting, why can't Iron Mike?

He won't be fighting anyone with serious chops obviously.
I would pay good money to see Mike go toe to toe in a series of fights with a bunch of youtube scrotes. Watching him unleash a combo upon the jaw of pewds or DanTDM would make for some excellent TV.

REE Machine

Banned
fa610c66-3cf0-4c8e-a7ea-679f72b77a0e_text.gif

KOMANI

KOMANI
20 years too late. There were talks way back when Roy was still on top. Shame it didn’t happen then. Anyway, this is still great news just to watch an exhibition with 2 legends. Plus, this may be the only way for Hearns to get Leonard into the ring for one more. Exhibition matches.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I actually just want another season of his cartoon show. Norm is amazing as a asshole birb.

Yeah!

Hinedorf

Banned
It's a cool story with a gross ending I don't want for either Roy or Mike. Fighting days are done, please don't do this..... doesn't mean I wont watch but still don't agree with it.

"I'll fuck you till you love me"
- Mike Tyson

Possibly my most favourite quote ever in regards to shit talking. It is so outlandish. His anger completely overrides all filters and sense of decency.

He kicks it off with general obscenities then yells "you're not man enough to touch me. I'll eat your asshole alive bitch". Which is certainly an odd thing to say.

But the crescendo comes when he belts out (almost on the verge of tears) "I'll fuck you till you love me faggot".

You mustn't forget the faggot part, as I believe that caps off the unbridled anger in such a brutal way. Wild. Mike Tyson man.

Compsiox

Banned
Jake Paul will fight an NBA player before this fight? What reality am I living in? What the fuck. Why are these people giving Jake Paul more attention. Someone save us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom