• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Ybarra "You'll see our first games [on Xbox] supporting keyboard and mouse soon"

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Windows Central said:
Xbox Platform CVP Mike Ybarra discussed mouse and keyboard support for Xbox One during a panel at PAX West this week, stating that Microsoft is taking particular care to ensure that developers are smart about when to allow the functionality.
Mike Ybarra said:
Keyboard and mouse support is definitely coming. We have to be very smart in how we do that. We'll leave it a lot up to developer choice. A lot of people tweet me and say "you can't do this because of fairness," and we understand that. We run two platforms; the Xbox platform, and the Windows platform.

And so, when we bring keyboard and mouse, we'll coach developers and say "look, you've got to think about your multiplayer pools, if you have a competitive game, people are probably going to want the choice to say I'll play with other keyboard and mouse people or I'll play only with controller people, or that I'll play with any of those.

So you'll see our first games supporting keyboard and mouse soon, I can't announce what that is, but soon. And based on developer interest, they'll choose to do keyboard and mouse, or not!"
likely referring to minecraft (has m/k in the beta https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/901465514526085121) but hopefully its the start of more games soon.

https://www.windowscentral.com/first-games-xbox-keyboard-and-mouse-gameplay-support-coming-soon

https://twitter.com/XboxE3Fans/status/904112856466993153

This is great news. While I don't own an Xbox, I hope this encourages Sony and maybe even Nintendo (I know, not happening) to follow suit.

Trup1aya

How did GOW4 turn out? I know some stated it was not fun to play against KB+M when they extended it.

It varied.

Some kbm players were trash so it didn't matter. Others were godly.

Contrary to popular opinion, i think it would be better if cross play was in ranked modes because it would naturally seperate good kbm players from the rest.

This can be huge if more titles have crossplay.

And now there's no reason to not bring all the Ages they announced to xbone :D

ramparter

Banned
Time to switch platforms. Intolerable decision to me.
The only intolerable thing is gaving a console that could allow me to play games like Age of Empires 2 HD but doesnt. You people think everything revolves around your multiplayer shooters.

About time and should have been an option since the 7th generation at least.

This is great news. While I don't own an Xbox, I hope this encourages Sony and maybe even Nintendo (I know, not happening) to follow suit.
Well been fair to both Sony and Nintendo (specially Nintendo in this case) their controllers do have gyroscopes build inside them so if developers want they can offer a more precise type of aiming. Not mouse levels in terms of precision but an improvement over a thumbstick to aim.

nOoblet16

How did GOW4 turn out? I know some stated it was not fun to play against KB+M when they extended it.

Due to the kind of game Gears is, it's sort of an anomaly in that the gulf between KB/m and controller is actually not what you'd expect...for different reasons. KB/m players get superior aiming and are better with snipers/bow but they are worse at high level movement a lot worse. So while they can hit well, they are also easier to get hit. On the other hand controller players can't hit as well but they are harder to hit...which is what kind of evens things out a bit imo. On PC you can sort of get around the limitation of keyboard by using your aim to wall bounce instead of direction buttons (you basically look the other way to wall bounce or cancel, but it's not as good as what you can achieve with an analogue and is harder to learn). But the most important factor here is that Gears has been a console game for so long that the seasons Gears players have had 10 years of practice through various Gears games using a controller. By contrast Gears was absent from PC until recently and you won't really find any seasoned vets playing on PC. That is where I'd say the biggest difference is between the two versions comes from.

A low level PC player would do better than a low level controller player almost all the time, just because how easy it is to aim with KB/m. But in mid to high level gameplay where players really start to use the movement options it gets a bit more ambiguous.

In a game like PUBG the KB/m players will have a big advantage because you have to track your aim a lot at times and also keyboard shortcuts for actions means you cana do a lot of things quick. But they will probably have to figure out a nice way to allow all the actions on a controller.

Chrisdk

I'm a little concerned that playing against KB&M players will make MP impenetrable, but I respect the idea.

Microsoft have said numerous times that they only want controller and mouse+keyboard players together in games where it makes sense. They are not going to open up for controller vs mouse+keyboard in all games. Just look at the OP. How many times do they have to say it before gaffers understand it?

Windu

maybe even Nintendo (I know, not happening) to follow suit.
duJ1UTr.jpg
ygStwkF.gif

RdN

I just want Age of Empires 4 on Xbox.

It won't happen since Microsoft wouldn't launch a keyboard only game on Xbox.. But still.. One can dream.

Windu

It won't happen since Microsoft wouldn't launch a keyboard only game on Xbox.. But still.. One can dream.
Eh, i think they would. They are going to launch VR games at some point anyway. Consoles gamers will get used to different control types. Just need to make it clear before someone buys the game.

Ushay

This decision makes a world of sense for games like Age of Empires or cRPG. Anything with a heavy point and click bias would make a strong case.

MS would be moronic to mix controller with KB&M in PvP focused games.

Chrisdk

Why won't it happen? It's not that different than games with other controllers like Kinect or those guitar hero, band games and whatnot.

Top Bottom