• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miketendo64: The Price Devs & Publishers Pay for Physical (Switch, Wii U, 3DS & Wii)

WaterAstro

This is the stuff that is usually covered in NDA's.

Still, the knowing the prices Nintendo charge makes no difference to us. We have no idea of the specific budgets of individual games.

Ooohhoho yes it makes a HUGE difference.

With disc media, developers are forced to buy these physical media for testing purposes. Versus a few cent BluRay, they are extremely rip off prices.

The 3DS is a lot better with reusable writable cartridges, and I expect the same for Switch, but the Wii and Wii U was expensive to test your own game.

emb

6000 minimum for Switch seems a little high. Hope it doesn't prevent small publishers from doing releases too often. :(

Fiendcode

I think you are completely misinterpreting him. He is just justifying why the Switch version costs $40 to someone suggesting it is expensive. The game costs $36 if you buy the game ($15) plus expansions ($11+$10) on Steam. He wants to say that paying $4 more than that for a physical copy is fair, not that the cost of manufacturing is $4.
Perhaps but then it's odd he literally says "$36+cost of manufacturing". Is that really a complete misinterpretation?

Shiggy

Comes from a tweet.

lU5pDch.png

That's more a justification of the higher retail price ($4) than an accurate split-up of costs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
6000 minimum for Switch seems a little high. Hope it doesn't prevent small publishers from doing releases too often. :(

If you don't think you can get 6000 sales then you should probably just stick to digital only.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Nah 6000 MOQ is super reasonable. Anything less than that should be digital

Honestly if that cart price is accurate that means its...on par with previous Nintendo hardware, which is good I guess

Malyse

Amiibo:
- submit a proposal to Nintendo showing the design, function, and marketing strategy as well as who will manufacture the amiibo
- initial minimum purchase of 100,000 NFC tags before manufacturing ($0.30 each)

That's interesting to know.

Something else to note is that all paying this fee does is get a bunch of packaged games sent to your door. You then need to pay for storage (if you can't store them in your office), and then distribution to the retailers. Then you pay the retailer an up-front fee for placement on their shelves. Then the retailer takes a cut of the final sale price.

You ever notice how some games can't be found on the shelves but if you ask about them they have them behind the counter? That way the publisher doesn't have to pay for shelf space.

Shiggy

Potential of Limited Run Games or other small publishers doing limited runs of digital-only games. I don't think it's a bad thing.

They never did anything on 3DS or Wii U despite the same minimum order quantity, so I'm not sure. The bigger indie games got larger publishers anyway (Shantae, Steamworld, Shovel Knight).

Ridley327

They never did anything on 3DS or Wii U despite the same minimum order quantity, so I'm not sure. The bigger indie games got larger publishers anyway (Shantae, Steamworld, Shovel Knight).

IIRC, LRG has a blanket policy of working with platforms that are region free, so neither the 3DS or the Wii U would be in their sights. The Switch is definitely a different story altogether.

Shiggy

IIRC, LRG has a blanket policy of working with platforms that are region free, so neither the 3DS or the Wii U would be in their sights. The Switch is definitely a different story altogether.

Makes sense as that way they only need to order one lot, reducing the amount of copies from 12k to 6k. If they only sell their titles through their own website, they could probably circumvent Nintendo's requirement to have a different lot for each region.

Ridley327

Makes sense as that way they only need to order one lot, reducing the amount of copies from 12k to 6k. If they only sell their titles through their own website, they could probably circumvent Nintendo's requirement to have a different lot for each region.

Right, I figure that it's logical to assume that the region requirements on previous Nintendo hardware don't apply to the Switch, which potentially makes it easier for a company like LRG to hop on board.

Shiggy

Right, I figure that it's logical to assume that the region requirements on previous Nintendo hardware don't apply to the Switch, which potentially makes it easier for a company like LRG to hop on board.

The requirement supposedly still exists, and it does make sense as the packaging would be different.

Also, I just checked LRG's website, most of their games have a print run of 3k or less.

Ridley327

The requirement supposedly still exists, and it does make sense as the packaging would be different.

Also, I just checked LRG's website, most of their games have a print run of 3k or less.

I guess it comes to down to how strict ratings boards are in Europe if they have to have all the typically required information present for a product that's never on store shelves. I know that the BBFC has been a bit more relaxed on movies in recent times, but I don't know how they are with games, as well as having to account for both PEGI and USK.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
- submit a proposal to Nintendo showing the design, function, and marketing strategy as well as who will manufacture the amiibo

Wait, aren't the Amiibos manufactured and given to publishers by Nintendo themselves like bulk disc orders? Am I reading this correctly?

Ridley327

Wait, aren't the Amiibos manufactured and given to publishers by Nintendo themselves like bulk disc orders? Am I reading this correctly?

Just the ones that Nintendo makes for themselves. Shovel Knight was handled by a different company that I'm not sure has ever been disclosed by Yacht Club Games. We just know it wasn't Nintendo.

TheMoon

Third party pubs have to do all of it themselves, Nintendo just has to sign off on the amiibo design/functionality in order for them to get the amiibo license.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Cartridges are appreciably more expensive as shown in the fee. Guaranteed that larger cards go beyond $8.

(unit in this case being both the cartridge and the box, and that's not including the rest of the costs involved such as licencing fees. As for a 32GB Switch cart, well that's where things get really pricey as it costs more than twice as much of the $8 dollars for the basic cart.)

Straight from the article.

As known. Fascinating to have an amount though.

Shiggy

Cartridges are appreciably more expensive as shown in the fee. Guaranteed that larger cards go beyond $8.

Straight from the article.

As known. Fascinating to have an amount though.

I previously missed that it they edited that part. $8 without licensing and 32GB cards being more than $16 is quite a difference from the Wii U pricing.

have to pay for physical Switch games is around $8 US dollars per unit (unit in this case being both the cartridge and the box, and that’s not including the rest of the costs involved such as licencing fees. As for a 32GB Switch cart, well that’s where things get really pricey as it costs more than twice as much of the $8 dollars for the basic cart.

Top Bottom