• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Official Thread of Investigating and Pointing Fingers

ShockingAlberto said:
Edgeworth is not really interested in getting the innocent off - well, not in his old von Karma days. He does like to help people after the first game, as his personality starts changing in to the "defender of justice" Phoenix remembers him as.
My complain is that Edgeworth seems a little underused, since a good portion of his charm comes from his courtroom battles. Of course we have all the elements we usually encounter during the trials in the previous games, but I feel it's just a little less engrossing without the Judge's stern look.
The game is very nice and all and I like it a lot, but, as I stated before, it wouldn't have been detrimental to my enjoyment if the main character were someone new. They should have gone with Apollo for this "experiment" (and with this I mean they shouldn't have used him as AA4 new attorney in the first place). Just my 2 cents.

Just beat case 4. Got a little nuts near the end.

Something I noticed. For the first 3 games in the series, I always had to use a FAQ at least once. In this and AJ, I've been able to figure everything out by myself. Yeah I've lost some of the bar a few times but still. Are these 2 games easier or have I just gotten smarter.

cosmicblizzard said:
Just beat case 4. Got a little nuts near the end.

Something I noticed. For the first 3 games in the series, I always had to use a FAQ at least once. In this and AJ, I've been able to figure everything out by myself. Yeah I've lost some of the bar a few times but still. Are these 2 games easier or have I just gotten smarter.
e sty
hmm the removed the "present profile" ability. and one gets used to the type of thinking the games need.

Fireblend

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
That's extraterritorial rights, Gumshoe makes a mistake and says extraterrestrial which made me laugh because that would literally be 'rights for aliens' - although Alba is basically a Saiyain anyways :lol.
I love how right after he says that he says something along the lines of
Sir, do you think the truth is out there?
. Made me laugh out loud. :lol

Also, 5 cases.

udivision said:
Guess who the "Passenger" is.

2eeg7s6.jpg

sdzpms.jpg

I think I know who it is.

Seems like a total manatee moment.

cartman414 said:
I think I know who it is.

Seems like a total manatee moment.

Anybody who has played the first Phoenix Wright game should instantly know who that is. It's the director at Global Studios from the third case. Nobody else in the whole series talks like that.

Also, I guessed it was him just by looking at his sprite. Even though he has his back to you, he's still recogniseable.

Anyway, I literally just finished the game now. I held off on reading this topic after release, in order to avoid any possible spoilers.

Somebody said earlier that this is their least favourite game in a "least favourite child" kind of way, and while I feel similarly (they're all awesome, so even the worst is still good) I'd tie it with Justice For All. I still love it, but it's let down by several things. First of all, I really didn't care much for Cases 3 and 5.

Case 3 got off to a great start when some familiar faces
(Meekins, Oldbag, and Ema)
showed up, but they were incredibly underused. None of the other "minor" characters in that case interested me much, and neither did the case itself.

Case 5 had similar problems, but at least the familiar faces
(Larry and Oldbag)
stuck around for longer and had actual roles. But I still didn't care for most of the other characters or the case itself, once again. And considering it's the last case in the game, for it to not impress is a pretty damn big disappointment. Every single one of the final cases in the previous games blew me away without fail, even if you count case 4 of AA1 (since it was originally the final case of that game). Towards the end of case 5 in this, I just wanted the damn thing to be over. Especially considering the last argument lasted fucking AGES, wasn't that difficult, and were nowhere near as epic/full of twists as previous games.

Case 2 is my favourite in the game. The minor characters were all spot on. Rhoda felt like she could have been a major character for the rest of the game, as her and Edgeworth's interactions were really interesting. Lablanc was funny, and had a lot of personality, and as for Cammy, it's pretty obvious why she was such a good character.

Case 1 was a great introduction, although I really wish they hadn't decided to go back to showing who the murderer is in the opening cutscene.

Case 4 was great, but mostly for fanservice reasons. Since I really didn't care much for the
underlying KG-8 incident that ties the whole game together
, I didn't care that much about the conclusion. Also, I hated Calisto Yew. She's probably my least favourite character in the whole series.

Another big problem with the game is that as has already been said, because you're not in a courtroom, there's no sense of pressure, and sometimes things are a little too slow-paced. The investigation portions are definitely a lot better than those in the AA games, but the argument portions are nowhere near as great as the courtroom portions of the other games.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game, but it's lacking that magic that the rest of the series has. As I said earlier, I'd say it's tied with JFA for my least favourite one on the series. There isn't a single part of AAI that comes close to being as dull as cases 2 and 3 in JFA, but there isn't a single part that comes close to being as awesome as case 4 either. So for that, they're tied.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
r - b - x said:
case 4: it's really bugging me that Yew, the female defense attorney, has an "objection" sound clip that makes her sound like a dude. it's totally throwing me off when i hear it.

Drkirby said:
I am a tad annoyed they didn't get the VAs to voice some of the "HOLD IT!"s. And Yew's VA sucks, I can't tell if its male or female :/
It's actually fine - Yew sounds like she's trying to stifle a laugh while yelling out her objection, which completely fits her character.

Also, what the hell's with the banner art over at Court Records? :lol :lol :lol

Here's a mirror of it without the banner text:

2cgkduo.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just up to Case 3 now. Not sure how I feel about it so far. The walking around stuff seems like a worthless addition to the Ace Attorney structure. The logic system is a neat extra, but it doesn't feel as satisfying as the Locks.

That would all be fine, but the biggest problem that holds everything else and greatly diminishes my enjoyment with the game is the absence of the court room scenes. The cases lack a real crescendo leading up to the final smackdown. There's no 'not guilty' moment. The cases just end.

The idea of playing as Edgeworth is cool, but it just isn't working in the same awesome way Phoenix did, or to a much lesser extent, Apollo. I would have rathered an Apollo 2, honestly.

It's still a fun Ace Attorney game, it just isn't the instant classic the first three were.

Just a quick question because I was confused tonight. It's case 3 related:

The blue badger doll in the haunted house wasn't mirrored at all. Did they miss this? I triple checked and I'm sure it was not mirrored

I got that part but it was kinda confusing. Case 4 now :)

Caesar III said:
Just a quick question because I was confused tonight. It's case 3 related:

The blue badger doll in the haunted house wasn't mirrored at all. Did they miss this? I triple checked and I'm sure it was not mirrored

I got that part but it was kinda confusing. Case 4 now :)
No, it was definitely what they said it was. What makes you say it wasn't?

Sloane

Banned
Rez said:
I'm just up to Case 3 now. Not sure how I feel about it so far. The walking around stuff seems like a worthless addition to the Ace Attorney structure. The logic system is a neat extra, but it doesn't feel as satisfying as the Locks.

That would all be fine, but the biggest problem that holds everything else and greatly diminishes my enjoyment with the game is the absence of the court room scenes. The cases lack a real crescendo leading up to the final smackdown. There's no 'not guilty' moment. The cases just end.
Exactly how I feel.

And I agree with whoever it was that the development team seems to have worked with a much lower budget this time. Apollo Justice felt like a real DS game, while Edgeworth feels a bit like a throwback to the GBA days. Strange.

upandaway

We don't know yet why
Lang hates prosecutors, right?

I mean, I'm kind of trying to remember something about it but we really weren't told anything. Sure, prosecutors cheat and all that, but unless there was a SPECIFIC trauma he has or something, his hate is just a badly made tool to the plot.

Maybe in a sequel?

upandaway said:
We don't know yet why

I mean, I'm kind of trying to remember something about it but we really weren't told anything. Sure, prosecutors cheat and all that, but unless there was a SPECIFIC trauma he has or something, his hate is just a badly made tool to the plot.

Maybe in a sequel?
Having just finished Case 3 last night, it DID specifically come up:
Shih-na says the Lang family held all the top police/detective positions where he came from, until a prosecutor's forged evidence ruined the reputation of one, which ended up bringing down the rest.

upandaway said:
We don't know yet why

Maybe in a sequel?

Yeah, I feel like he could have been a great character, but they just overplayed
his hatred of prosecutors, and quoting proverbs.
They should have given Badd his role instead, as I'd have loved to see more of him.

upandaway

JoshuaJSlone said:
Having just finished Case 3 last night, it DID specifically come up:
Shih-na says the Lang family held all the top police/detective positions where he came from, until a prosecutor's forged evidence ruined the reputation of one, which ended up bringing down the rest.
Oh, right, I forgot that. I guess I was looking for something a bit more dramatic.

Ben2749 said:
They should have given Badd his role instead, as I'd have loved to see more of him.
I heard people say that they should have switched the themes of these two, too. What's with people wanting changes between Badd and Lang specifically?

jrricky said:
"You will need two jobs just to buy this"

Did the game (Edgeworth) just rag on the PS3 (sony)?:lol :lol

I think so, also during the end credits:

Larry talks about selling Blue-ocean dogs and how everyone will want to buy them
:D

Cep

Banned
Rez said:

The idea of playing as Edgeworth is cool, but it just isn't working in the same awesome way Phoenix did, or to a much lesser extent, Apollo. I would have rathered an Apollo 2, honestly.

It's still a fun Ace Attorney game, it just isn't the instant classic the first three were.

Those were an abomination.

Personally, I feel that the game did not really get good until case 4.

Luckily, case 5 is like 2.5X the length of a normal case so you do not feel cheated.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Finished the game

Here are my thoughts on case 4 and case 5:

Case 4:
Case four was amazing seeing the younger Kay and Franziska. Also seeing the younger, cockier Edgeworth presented in a more realistic manner than Case 4 of Ace Attorney 3 was nice. Yew annoyed the shit out of me, but I guess that it was just how her character was like. I loved the twist at the end when she tried to kill edgeworth.

Case 5:
From the outset Shi-na was suspicious, but unlike many of you, I did not connect the dots between her and Yew until the End of the Beginning portion. The "final boss" was amazing, he had a great objection and an even better theme. I loved when he would transition from a shriveled old man to an incredibly evil, cocky villain. Beating him was very satisfying

On the Cameos:
Emma and was freaking awesome, she had way too little screen time. Seeing Manfred Von Karma was a treat. Larry Butz and Old bag just plain annoyed me. Why can't some of the better characters from Ace Attorney 1-4 make cameos?

On the assistant character:
Kay was awesome, I hope to see more of her in future games. She has great compatibility with Edgeworth and I would love to see her develop more. Her little thief thing was pretty annoying, so you can't win them all

upandaway

Hcoregamer00 said:
On the Cameos:
Emma and was freaking awesome, she had way too little screen time. Seeing Manfred Von Karma was a treat. Larry Butz and Old bag just plain annoyed me. Why can't some of the better characters from Ace Attorney 1-4 make cameos?
[/spoiler]
Oh, yeah, I forgot I wanted to mention this.

I didn't follow spoilers before I beat the game, so I don't know if people mentioned it before, but that
orange afro camera woman from (I think) the second game is obviously in this one. She took the flying Yatagarasu pic and everything.

Though that's not any better than the other two you mentioned, is it :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
upandaway said:
Oh, yeah, I forgot I wanted to mention this.

I didn't follow spoilers before I beat the game, so I don't know if people mentioned it before, but that
orange afro camera woman from (I think) the second game is obviously in this one. She took the flying Yatagarasu pic and everything.

Though that's not any better than the other two you mentioned, is it :lol

No it isn't, she is part of the characters I hate in the game franchise.

And it takes a lot for me to hate a character, after all
I started hating the Butz after his PITIFUL "woe is me" crap he put on AA3 Case 5. I started hating Oldbag when she started swooning over edgeworth. Yeah he is a pretty boy, but her obsession with him is too exaggerated. I would like her more if they toned her Edgeworth obsession down a bit. I just hate the photographer girl because she makes people who try to do actual photography look bad.

Haunted

Rez said:
I'm just up to Case 3 now. Not sure how I feel about it so far. The walking around stuff seems like a worthless addition to the Ace Attorney structure.
I'm also up to Case 3 and I disagree. Having some classic adventure gameplay is sooo much more satisfying than the purely menu-driven predecessors. It feels like a natural evolution of the system. I'm also loving the full-body spritework, it brings some much needed variety into the whole presentation of the game.

Rez said:
The logic system is a neat extra, but it doesn't feel as satisfying as the Locks.
Again, disagree - I greatly prefer the logic system to the lock gauntlets. I just hope it gets a bit more complicated as the cases go on, since the connexions were all very obvious with only up to 4 different logic elements at a time (so far).

Rez said:
Yes, very much agreed. The court sequences helped to lead the previous games with a clear structure that feels missing here. Of course, it'd be possible to replicate that structure within, but they didn't really succeed with that in the first two cases at least.

Rez said:
Phoenix > Edgeworth > Apollo, imo.

Really liking it so far.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
In the middle of case 5 right now, didn't expect a Morning Musume reference. :lol

SEXY BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAM

epmode

2/3 through case 5 and I'm still finding it very difficult to care about some nebulous
smuggling ring
as the game's big mystery.

This is easily my least favorite game of the series, though I'd really like the third-person parts to find their way into a regular courtroom game.

On Case 4. I'm used to the walking around stuff, and I like the investigation parts much better than previous games. I just feel like the story is lackluster compared to the other games. :/

Sloane

Banned
Haunted said:
I'm also up to Case 3 and I disagree. Having some classic adventure gameplay is sooo much more satisfying than the purely menu-driven predecessors. It feels like a natural evolution of the system.
But is it "classic adventure gameplay"? You don't have items, you can't really choose what to say -- the only real difference is the perspective; third-person instead of first-person.

Haunted said:
Again, disagree - I greatly prefer the logic system to the lock gauntlets. I just hope it gets a bit more complicated as the cases go on, since the connexions were all very obvious with only up to 4 different logic elements at a time (so far).
The logic system could be nice, if you really had to put stuff together in terms of re-creation of the crime, like opportunity, motive, and so on. But the way it works, it feels like you have to draw obvious conclusions the characters would have come up with on their own in previous games.

Haunted said:
Yes, very much agreed. The court sequences helped to lead the previous games with a clear structure that feels missing here.
Also, there's the lack of a clear and present antagonist.
He's in only two of the five cases, isn't he?

As I've said before, I love the series and I was really up for a change, but Edgeworth just feels like a tamed down version of the previous games to me. There seems to be even less gameplay and more dialogue, and I kind of expected the opposite. Never thought I'd complain about too much text in an AA game, but it really dragged sometimes. I don't know. Can't help but feel a bit disappointed.

Jintor

Sloane said:
The logic system could be nice, if you really had to put stuff together in terms of re-creation of the crime, like opportunity, motive, and so on. But the way it works, it feels like you have to draw obvious conclusions the characters would have come up with on their own in previous games./QUOTE]

Yeah, but I feel it helps the logic flow a little better for us simpletons who get lost sometimes. But yes, I would love a system like that.

Oh wow. At part 3 of the middle of case 5 and I just found out
Shih-na was Yew. I was thinking it was a possibility earlier in the case but the lack of freckles threw me off. Glad to know I was right, but that still sucks for Lang.

Edit:
Aaaaaaaaaaand I just proved it. That's probably the freakiest killer revelation face I've seen in the whole series.

Okay, finished it up late last night.

• Edgeworth is a fantastic protagonist. I was concerned that the game wouldn't get the tone right, but they totally nailed this aspect: Edgeworth is always more in control and on top of things than Phoenix or Apollo, and shifting the humor to prissy Edgeworth being put upon by idiots (instead of Phoenix being talked down to by people for being a scrub) worked out extremely well.
  • Supporting cast also surprisingly great. No one I hated in this game (like the pervert doctor),
    Franziska
    was fleshed out into a real character for, I thought, the first time,
    __Kay__
    was consistently entertaining, even
    Larry and Oldbag
    amused me this time around.
  • Spritework is unbelievably awesome. I love that people's adventure sprites actually included versions of many of their zoomed-in animations.
  • Excellent localization (minus the requisite two to three typos). Extremely funny dialogue all through the game, without some of the awkward translation issues that plagued (say) JfA.
  • Music is solid, which should be unsurprising since Iwadare worked on the soundtrack for this game.
  • The investigation gameplay is a huge improvement over previous entries of the series, so much so that if GK5 comes out without any upgrades it's going to feel like a big step back to me. Though it has less "freedom," that's actually a good thing -- the freedom in previous games mostly gives you room to miss a single clue in a giant maze of locations and tromp around for half an hour trying to find it. Here, investigations are focused on what's actually fun -- finding contradictions and using logic to piece together what happened.
  • Speaking of which: the logic system rocks, they just need to expand on it. I'd love to see more items in the screen so picking out the connections is tougher and so you have to call on it more often to proceed. It really filled the gap I always thought was present -- figuring out how elements of the crime scene relate to each other -- very, very effectively.
  • Cases:
    Enjoyed all five, which is a pretty good track record. Case three is probably the least good, since the bad guy's a loser and it takes a bit long to get to the end. Looooooooved case 4 though.
  • Villains:
    Yew's laughing schtick really bothered me for some reason but I enjoyed sparring with her once she had to stop doing that due to being "undercover." Alba was great, it's nice to have another super-evil old man like that.
  • Overarching plot:
    Much better handled than in previous games. The best handling of this issue to date was probably T&T, and even then there's still an extraneous and unrelated middle case. Having all five cases tightly integrated here was awesome; trying to track the whole big, interrelated case was fun and it made the final case that much more satisfying.
  • I don't really see the "no tension" thing with the interrogations; it's the same freakin' gameplay as always. The enjoyment in this for me was always the aspect of figuring out where the case was going and rushing from point to point presenting the right evidence; that's certainly still present here.
  • I consistently find the whining about supernatural crap in Phoenix Wright utterly ridiculous but it's not like I missed it here. Little Thief is actually a much better solution than having Edgeworth go into "recreation vision" or some dumb shit like that.

All in all, I really enjoyed the game, would probably rank it third in the series (below PW1 and T&T, above AJ and JfA), and I'd loooove for them to keep this line going as its own spinoff series.

Regarding there being no tension during the Argument segments, there are several reasons for that. Firstly, since you're not in a courtroom, and don't have a judge and a prosecutor to interfere, you lose a sense of urgency. This is also made worse by the fact that you get a ridiculous amount of chances in AAI. In the original AA, you got five chances, and in JFA, T&T, and AJ, the amount of "health" you lost when you screwed up varied. Sometimes you could lose half a bar if you got it wrong. There were even a couple of instances where you would lose ALL your health, meaning you only got one chance. Not to mention, there were also a few occassions where you couldn't press somebody. In AAI, there's only one instance in the game (as I recall) where you can't press somebody, and lose more health if you screw up, but even then you only lose twice as much as you would normally, which still isn't all that much.

Also, most of them were far too easy. And there were definitely too many that required you to Press them until they said something different, which just sends up a massive sign that screams: "This is the statement with the contradiction". In all the AA games, I press everything right away anyway simply to get all the dialogue, so if it's one in which they amend their testimony, there's no challenge at all. For future AA games, I'd like it if sometimes the amended statements in a testimonies were actually red herrings.

But perhaps most importantly, was that I didn't find very many of them to be particularly clever in regards to the way they made you think in order to find the contradictions. Case 2 was a notable exception, as a lot of the arguments felt more akin to the past AA games. For example,
solving the time discrepancy with Lablanc by realising that he had set his pocket watch to the destination's time
proving that the fake statue was smuggled onto the plane after the original cargo by pointing out that the tarp was trapped underneath the corner
, or
proving that the killer must have been able to read Borginian because otherwise they would have used the crate full of bedsheets
. If the rest of the game had that much ingenuity, I would have liked it a LOT more. As it is, I felt there were too many Arguments in which the solution was as simple as looking at the text description of a piece of evidence, and spotting which statement said something clearly different.

Peff

Also, most of them were far too easy. And there were definitely too many that required you to Press them until they said something different, which just sends up a massive sign that screams: "This is the statement with the contradiction". In all the AA games, I press everything right away anyway simply to get all the dialogue, so if it's one in which they amend their testimony, there's no challenge at all. For future AA games, I'd like it if sometimes the amended statements in a testimonies were actually red herrings.

The game is clearly designed to be easier and to try to stop the "Well, I MUST save and load and use every item any time I hit a bump" from the other games. Not only is the organizer pretty thorough and detailed, there are plenty of clues given by other characters and Edgeworth himself and there is only one time where you will lose more than a tiny bit of the life bar if you fail. I hope they bump the challenge a bit more again or add difficulty levels.

I just beat the first case, and it's already fantastic. It's been far too long since I've had new Ace Attorney stuff to dig into. The plot that's being set up definitely feels interesting, and I'm glad they followed the lead of the two most recent games by having a more substantial first case.

jibblypop

Banned
Finally finished this bad boy. Great game!

It definitely felt easier than the older games but to be honest, usually when I got stumped in an older game (especially the 2nd one) it was because they wanted you to point out some random nonsense instead of the most logical thing. So I felt that was an improvement in this game.

I highly recommend this to any fans of this series that are on the fence because of the change of style.

yeahhhhh

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I'm totally on my own with this, but this is my favorite game in the series, bar none. It has the best music, the best cases, and the best goddamn cases. Seriously.

TheCardPlayer said:
I'm totally on my own with this, but this is my favorite game in the series, bar none. It has the best music, the best cases, and the best goddamn cases. Seriously.

You could not be more...NOT me. This game's music is awful compared to the rest of the series.

jibblypop

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
You could not be more...NOT me. This game's music is awful compared to the rest of the series.

No way. There are some duds but there are some really great tunes too. At the very least you have to admit the music is better than Justice for All.

zoku88

jibblypop said:
No way. There are some duds but there are some really great tunes too. At the very least you have to admit the music is better than Justice for All.
I wouldn't really agree with that. Both soundtracks aren't that great, but i think JFA had more good tracks than this one does.

Absolutely not. Justice for All gets a lot of shit for really no reason, just because it didn't have nearly as strong a Cornered theme, and that Trials and Tribulations was just so fucking good.

This game has maybe ONE outstanding track that I can think of, and it's Amano's theme...and possibly its own Cornered.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Finished AAI a couple days ago. While I enjoyed it, there was more than one occasion where I either a) had 2-3 different pieces of evidence that would illustrate the same contradiction, but only one would trigger the next event, or b) I had a piece of evidence that would contradict their entire testimony in one fell swoop if Miles supplemented it with some explanation, but I had to jump through the hoops of identifying smaller flaws first.

Both are issues with AA as a series and have been long standing issues for me, but I found it was far more prevalent in AAI than past games.

While I enjoyed the game, I don't think it's anywhere as good as either Apollo Justice or AA3. I really hope the next game goes back to focusing on defense attorneys.

TheCardPlayer said:

Better music than AA3? You're insane. The cases were good, but Case 5 of AA3 still trumps the best of what AAI had to offer.

jibblypop

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
Absolutely not. Justice for All gets a lot of shit for really no reason, just because it didn't have nearly as strong a Cornered theme, and that Trials and Tribulations was just so fucking good.

This game has maybe ONE outstanding track that I can think of, and it's Amano's theme...and possibly its own Cornered.

Oh well so I guess we disagree about which soundtrack we like better. No biggie.

By the way, I'm not shitting on Justice For All. Being my least favorite game of one of my all time favorite game series just means that it's one of my favorite games of all time but just a bit lower on the list than the others.
I look at that game the same way as Mario Sunshine. It's my least favorite Mario game but I still like it better than almost every other game in existence.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
DeathbyVolcano said:

The Objection theme, the Cornered theme, Shi-Long Lang's theme, Kay's theme, Crises Of Fate, Calisto Yew's theme, Tyrell Bad's theme, everything in the game wipes the floor with the best from AA3. Easily!

Also, I'm totally not alone. Reading fansites, it seems that this game is generally revered as the shit. Fuck yeah! Bow down, bitches. AAI > Everything else.

Top Bottom