• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Shinta

Banned
This is hilarious.

CNN
Susan Wilson
Founder and CEO, The Judgment Group

She recognizes the value of focusing on the details. "I used to get bored and wanted to do the next great thing."
Next up: a website that enables debtors to make payments and negotiate settlements online. "An individual will pay more when they're negotiating with a computer than they do negotiating with an individual,"

So true Susan!!

Yasae

Banned
Reported.

The camp has been paid for, so this is charity. You're not funding her going there.

This kind of thing is disgusting tbh hth
: benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity

a : generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering; also : aid given to those in need
b : an institution engaged in relief of the poor
c : public provision for the relief of the needy

a : a gift for public benevolent purposes
b : an institution (as a hospital) founded by such a gift

: lenient judgment of others

The only definition it fits is the first.

Also just to show how absurd this is

http://www.leadersportfolio.com/archives/1872
Prior to The Judgment Group, Susan was a founding member and the Executive Vice President of a technology startup that raised $12 Million in venture capital, became kinkos.com, and was sold in 2000 to the copy giant Kinko’s for $100 Million.

$100 million dollars.

"Please give me $1k to cover the costs of my child learning to make a bad video game ;)"

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Whatever happens, I hope this lady's daughter doesn't get any shit for it. She did nothing wrong here.

Also just to show how absurd this is

http://leadersportfolio.com/archives/1872

$100 million dollars.

"Please give me $1k to cover the costs of my child learning to make a bad video game ;)"

Her bullshit "reasoning" for starting this Kickstarter:

Please keep in mind, we started this campaign to raise about $900 because Kenzie was going to camp and her brothers were asking why she was going to RPG camp b/c it's not like she was going to be able to make a good game. Together, Kenzie and I decided to do this campaign to prove to them that she was smarter than they thought and she deserved their respect. There's an age gap (the boys are 15 & 16 and Kenzie is 9) and a gender gap and it's at a critical point right now. So I saw this as an opportunity but certainly not a sure thing. It could just have easily gone the other way. Unlike her brothers, Kenzie had the guts and courage to put herself out there (which also means being judged which can hurt sometimes).

It's not about the money at all to them. It's about "proving she is smarter than her brothers!" THAT'S what you're donating towards.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The page is so goddamn annoying

It's like 1-2 paragraphs from the 9 year old

Everything else is PR Mom speak

I highly doubt a 9 year old would know and strive to talk about STEM

demolitio

My '02 Corolla is completely dead after just fixing it a month ago, my TV shorted out from a very random power surge that left a light-show that no one could explain, and my computer's power supply is failing after that same surge even though both the TV and PC are on a surge protector.

Should I start a kickstarter asking to replace one week's worth of bad luck instead of spending it on medical bills? Can I make up a camp to go to?

Clearly, I was too harsh on Kickstarter since this seems awesome! :D

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but no, I didn't make up what all broke in a span of a week...lol

Her bullshit "reasoning" for starting this Kickstarter:

It's not about the money at all to them. It's about "proving those pesky brothers wrong!"

"Together, Kenzie and I decided to do this campaign to prove to them that she was smarter than they thought and she deserved their respect."

I don't understand this logic.

tOHw91I.png

I can see how this woman is rich. She's smart as hell.

Goon Boon

Banned
ROCK STAR REWARD LEVEL: At this level, you get everything from the previous levels plus a personal apology from her brothers and the satisfaction of knowing that you've not only started a career, you've also helped to fund future courses in computer programming for her along with more (and better) games!

I just realized this is all some child labor level shit, forcing apologies and games to be made.

Fucking digusting.

The idea itself is brilliant (kudos for that) and I hope the little girl pursues her passion but this is all on "mommy dearest". Typical Kickstarter abuse. Reported.

GraveRobberX

I guarantee the mum's goal was to use this to launch that shitty looking "Keep up" thing as a brand.

That's what I'm thinking too now

The rewards for it are plastered everywhere

I wouldn't be surprised the Brothers were the one who created that Keep Up graffiti style after mom told them to get into it

The last reward tier is just fucking awful

Why does a $829 KS need a $10,000 Tier, Why?

Pledge $10,000 or more

ROCK STAR REWARD LEVEL: At this level, you get everything from the previous levels plus a personal apology from her brothers and the satisfaction of knowing that you've not only started a career, you've also helped to fund future courses in computer programming for her along with more (and better) games!

Limited (5 of 5 remaining)

Estimated delivery: Jul 2013

JABEE

She links an LLC that is taking direct donations to help fund female entrepreneurs. They are accepting $10 donations.

http://www.fundher.com/

In addition, we’ve participated in crowdfunding initiatives through DonorsChoose. Kiva, Women 2.0, IndieGoGo, Kickstarter, Women for Women International, and Heifer International.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep

Some Kickstarters do 'ave 'em: here's a crowd sourcing plea from a lottery-winning millionaire for $1.1 million dollars to make an MMO.

Said millionaire is Ellwood Bartlett, an "ideas man", lifelong gamer, former accountant and Wiccan high priest.

Bartlett won $27 million (after tax) in September 2007.

The MMO he wants to make has lofty goals but no apparent foundations. There's no development studio, no track record, no business plan.

All there are, are ideas.

Ideas like servers being variant worlds rather than replicas. "One will be a mostly water and all avatars will have underwater breathing," wrote Bartlett. "Another will be a volcanic world and your avatar will have a high resistance to fire." And you can travel between them for "Universal Quests" and PVP.

Ideas like creating your own avatar race from a set of body parts. "If you want elf ears, human hands and arms, orc trunk, dwarf legs and a human head you may do so," promised Bartlett.

Ideas like linking PayPal and Amazon accounts to pay for in-game items.

Ideas like allowing mounts from level 1, and flying mounts anywhere. "You can't get a horse and expect it to fly," Bartlett explained, "but you can get a horse with wings and fly."

Ideas like one-on-one PVP that may work like a fighting game and use an "arcade stick". "We will have to see."

Ideas like buying land to build on, to make "small towns" - even guild towns - with taverns, armour shops, weapon shops and more.

Ideas like no level cap.

Ideas like space travel and space battles.

And more.

He's got himself a stew going with all those ideas.

As for the girl thing, rich people gonna rich.

She links an LLC that is taking direct donations to help fund female entrepreneurs. They are accepting $10 donations.

http://www.fundher.com/

The goal is $1 million in crowd sourcing. In exchange they give people of their choosing $500-$5,000 to start businesses with absolutely no commitments to the people who donated that the money will even be used.

She. Is. A. Genius.

That's what I'm thinking too now

The rewards for it are plastered everywhere

I wouldn't be surprised the Brothers were the one who created that Keep Up graffiti style after mom told them to get into it

The last reward tier is just fucking awful

I included that in my explanation when I reported it as a secondary note. Funding can't go towards an awareness campaign as stated by Kickstarter. While it's likely more correct, as someone else noted, to call it a branding the writing so far definitely makes it sound like an awareness campaign.

I really should get off NeoGAF for the night. Seeing this topic is just getting me frustrated and annoyed. Not with the replies here but with the Kickstarter itself.

Looked at the comment section, that was super frontlines. She's going to get MORE money, just from the arguments raging in there.

Also she added the "you get the game" later on, it was started for camp which is where I'm assuming the game will get "made" you know...in a week.

Also who would attack the girl for this, its clearly all mom. And yeah the public shaming of her older brothers is a bit much. Wonder who bought him that "I think I'm a lesbian" shirt.

Darryl

Banned
This is the internet. It has happened many, many times before.

In the so called "glory days" of /b/, people would raid innocent children's MySpace accounts and post their docs for all to see.

there's no reason at all for the child to be attacked because the mom is a far better target. although of course, she could frame it like they're attacking the child easily.

Goon Boon

Banned
WAIT WAIT WAIT. She knew this would get taken down, she's waiting for kickstarter to remove it so she can direct her funders to her Fundher shit instead. She can say kickstarter is bigoted or something, and gets a massive amount of the same morons donating $20,000 to a millionaire out of kickstarter and into her own cashcow.

Shinta

Banned
Seeing this topic is just getting me frustrated and annoyed. Not with the replies here but with the Kickstarter itself.
Not to beat that dead horse too much, but that's how a lot of people felt about Sarkeesian's KS in the first place, considering she was already making videos without additional funding. But alas ... that is a story for another day.

I included that in my explanation when I reported it as a secondary note. Funding can't go towards an awareness campaign as stated by Kickstarter. While it's likely more correct, as someone else noted, to call it a branding the writing so far definitely makes it sound like an awareness campaign.

I really should get off NeoGAF for the night. Seeing this topic is just getting me frustrated and annoyed. Not with the replies here but with the Kickstarter itself.

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines

Prohibited uses of Kickstarter:

No charity or cause funding.
Examples of prohibited use include raising money for the Red Cross, funding an awareness campaign, funding a scholarship, or promoting the donation of funds raised, or future profits, to a charity or cause.

No "fund my life" projects.
Examples include projects to pay tuition or bills, go on vacation, or buy a new camera.

Prohibited content.
There are some things we just don't allow on Kickstarter.

This Kickstarter DIRECTLY violates the platform's terms of use. If it doesn't get removed, I will be extremely upset.

there's no reason at all for the child to be attacked because the mom is a far better target. although of course, she could frame it like they're attacking the child easily.
I wouldn't be surprised if people attack both of them.

A lot of the people who go after people on the internet have no morals whatsoever.

moka

$10K for an apology from the brothers.

I'm starting to hope Anonymous begins looking in Kickstarter's direction.

No need for that. After receiving all of Gaf's complaints, I'm sure they'll remove the project and possibly ban her from the website for constant abuse.

Takao

Banned
Kickstarter turned down an anime distributor's attempt to run a campaign to dub a series into English. They let stuff like this go through. Huh.

This strikes me as a pretty naked misuse of Kickstarter engineered to hit a bunch of Internet pressure points (cute kid! feminism! games!) in a transparent play for publicity and free cash. Plus all the "my sons are assholes" shit is really gross.

dock

I reported this last week.

It's exploitative, and against the kickstarter rules to raise personal funds for holidays and education fees.

It's also offensive. Why did she have to write all that awful copy pretending to be her daughter? Why does she throw her sons under the bus?

If this goes ahead we expect to see every daughter shoved on kickstarter with a sob story and 'blocked by men' tale.

Meanwhile, the parents can't be bothered to source any interesting age appropriate RPGs and give her gorey M-rated games. There are plenty of non-silly RPGs for 9 year olds.

Don't forget to report this.

If kickstarter doesn't pull this, it will mark the start of the kickstarter wish foundation.

Will state again. Haven't been around the internet long have you? No reason doesn't mean will not happen, and isn't expected.

GraveRobberX

No need for that. After receiving all of Gaf's complaints, I'm sure they'll remove the project and possibly ban her from the website for constant abuse.

She'll just spin it

Use it as a platform as why she and her daughter can't get funded

Come to their "campaign" website and "donate"

Fucking Bullshit

Not to beat that dead horse too much, but that's how a lot of people felt about Sarkeesian's KS in the first place, considering she was already making videos without additional funding. But alas ... that is a story for another day.

I admittedly never got into that whole thing so I honestly don't know more about any of that other than having watched one of her original YouTube videos and knowing she got funded. I didn't read into it more than that. Suppose I could look into it but the tiny bit I knew during those events she at least seemed more genuine.

I really feel this entire thing surrounding the mother is quite disgusting. And it's not even about her already having money to afford this on her own. Even if this was a poor family that would like the money to do something nice for their daughter I'd still disagree with doing it through Kickstarter in this fashion because it's not how Kickstarter is meant to be used. There's other methods to get charity money of sorts if that was a serious need.

Mooreberg

The twitter account is an incoherent mess of spam.

Perez Hilton ‏@PerezHilton 19 Mar
Bruno Mars Talks Cocaine-Riddled Past And Sex!! http://perez.ly/15p3Pi5
View summary
SusanWilson ‏@FundHer 20 Mar
@PerezHilton Kudos! I'm 43 w/2 teens & <3 honest dialogue. It takes courage to be real & willing to be wrong. My parents HATE our FB posts!
Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite More
4:04 AM - 20 Mar 13 · Details

I'm not seeing the connection between these topics. It is crazy how many idiots can be easily manipulated into parting with their money.

Paranerd

Neo Member
I knew it was suspicious when that kid said Dragon Age II was her current favorite PS3 game.

Seriously, though, it's hard to know if this kid is a real person when it all looks like her mom put it together. The video is just a powerpoint presentation.

Top Bottom