• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Not to beat that dead horse too much, but that's how a lot of people felt about Sarkeesian's KS in the first place, considering she was already making videos without additional funding. But alas ... that is a story for another day.

Sarkeesian was at least taking funding for a product. The videos were being paid for, even if The Internet decided to overpay for them out of male guilt. The product here is "help me go to camp, btw it's already been paid for, you can have the shitty game I make if you want!".

moka

She'll just spin it

Use it as a platform as why she and her daughter can't get funded

Come to their "campaign" website and "donate"

Fucking Bullshit

I can deffinately see that happening. She's a smart woman with a loyal following and the people who report it are almost deffinately going to come off as the bad guys.

But it has to be done and as long as we can always call her out on her bullshit and explain why we're doing it, people will eventually see our way.

Darryl

Banned
Will state again. Haven't been around the internet long have you? No reason doesn't mean will not happen, and isn't expected.

i know exactly what you're talking about and that stuff was always done as random bullying. there's a clear target here, i really doubt it'll happen.

She's a scammer. Reading her Twitter feed is disgusting. Spamming this KickStarter to Women's groups.

lol she sent like 20 tweets out to different groups in a row within a few minutes

Sarkeesian was at least taking funding for a product. The videos were being paid for, even if The Internet decided to overpay for them out of male guilt. The product here is "help me go to camp, btw it's already been paid for, you can have the shitty game I make if you want!".

This is 100% a "fund my life" project. Which directly violates Kickstarter rules.

If this doesn't get pulled, we can pursue some kind of legal action. :p

Goon Boon

Banned
I can deffinately see that happening. She's a smart woman with a loyal following and the people who report it are almost deffinately going to come off as the bad guys.

But it has to be done and as long as we can always call her out on her bullshit and explain why we're doing it, people will eventually see our way.

As long as she only takes the money of the truly ignorant who don't care about specifics like she's fucking manipulating her children for profit, I can settle for that.

Then don't participate. I don't see how having money excludes you from being allowed to ask for more. The world's biggest donation collector is the Catholic Church. Which just happens to own billions.

I'd just like to say that the excesses of places like the Vatican are not at all indicative of the financial state of the vast majority of church parishes, and thankfully the new pope seems to be addressing that issue directly so far in his tenure.

Back OT, at the very least this KS violates the letter of KS policy. On an ethical level it's pretty shady when it's obvious that the family has more than enough expendable income to fund this themselves. Definitely should be removed and pledges refunded.

Well, this whole thing would take a new complexion if it weren't being expressly submitted as "pay for my camp fees that are already paid for." If people are willing to buy a game made by a 9 year old in a weeks span, then cool. But that isn't what this at all, shes basically abusing KS by offering a product that she puts zero effort into creating. Outside of exploitation of her daughter and the facade of offering a product, the fact is the goal is to raise 829 dollars for tuition, clear violation, KS do the right thing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Reported. Even if the mom wasn't a millionaire, this is still no different than asking crowd sourcing to pay for your child's summer camp. It's not a project.

doemaaan

Over $21,000 for THIS projects' $800 budget and there's still 26 days to go? What the fuck is wrong with people in society nowadays.

xenist

Oh lighten up you bunch of old ladies. You'll sprain your wrists fanning yourselves so hard.

"Oh dear, what has the world come to?"

Shinta

Banned
fuck this goddamn world.

Only $25 and you can get this awesome mousepad!

2ce4107050303e36287287f6d4af1294_large.png

The $10,000 reward is the true prize though.

$10,000 +
ROCK STAR REWARD LEVEL: At this level, you get everything from the previous levels plus a personal apology from her brothers and the satisfaction of knowing that you've not only started a career, you've also helped to fund future courses in computer programming for her along with more (and better) games!

Rubius

Its actually against the rules to help fund a education. http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines
She do not have the skill to do this, have never done this. Also, playing a rogue true neutral? Really? I dont like True Neutral characters because they are pretty much an excuse to say "Well I can do what I want. I can do Loyal good stuff like I can do Chaotic Evil stuff, lalala."

Some gems on her twitter.

SusanWilson ‏@FundHer 1 Mar
My 16 yr old son:Mom, I watched a film on Steve Jobs today. ME:Wasn't he a prick? SON:YES 2 EVERYONE! ME:AMAZING designer! SON:Karma's BITCH

@Chris7Roberts @girlsHBO @lenadunham I don't WANT my daughter doing coke but I tried it 20 yrs ago (be4 G'town & Harvard). #RealLifeHappens

SusanWilson ‏@FundHer 13 May
My sons respond when I say my friend was married to a man but now liked women-14 yr old: "switching teams" 15 yr old "it's called wising up"

SusanWilson ‏@FundHer 30 Nov 11
YES! My cat just "used" her litter box. Ran out of litter last night so my kids shredded old bills for her to #Occupy. Feels awesome.Try it.

SusanWilson ‏@FundHer 22 Nov 11
Ur the 99% they're protesting for so what r u doing to peacefully help the cause? http://fundher.nationbuilder.com/i_m_thankful_for_occupy …

So basically, shes a person who made billions as a debt collector, and tweets this shit. Also the attempt at making money off of occupy was when I had to stop. I was far too disgusted.

baphomet

Good for her. Get a bunch of people with no clue to pay for whatever you don't feel like. I'm going to start a kickstarter to get a new car even though I already have a 2011 liberty. Ill just leave that small detail out.

If there's no rule against it, then there's nothing anyone should be complaining about. People knew that the goal had been hit and kept on donating money. I donated to the retronauts kickstarter even though they already met their goal because I want them to have more money. I see nothing wrong with it.

Good for her. Get a bunch of people with no clue to pay for whatever you don't feel like. I'm going to start a kickstarter to get a new car even though I already have a 2011 liberty. Ill just leave that small detail out.

If there's no rule against it, then there's nothing anyone should be complaining about. People knew that the goal had been hit and kept on donating money. I donated to the retronauts kickstarter even though they already met their goal because I want them to have more money. I see nothing wrong with it.

1. Creating a Kickstarter to donate money to a charity is AGAINST THE RULES

2. Creating a Kickstarter to fund an activity in someone's life is AGAINST THE RULES

3. Creating a Kickstarter to help someone out is AGAINST THE RULES

Kickstarter has had FIVE DAYS to take this shit down. And yet, here it is, still up.

Shinta

Banned
I'm going to start a kickstarter to get a new car even though I already have a 2011 liberty.

"Help 19 year old self-empowered woman get new car without a sunroof. No glass ceilings here!"

How can I change this to be suitable for me? See I'm a guy, so what's a good spin for that?

Hmm, I don't know. The others are just popping in my head with ease. But I'm sure we can think of something. She used a veterans angle and an occupy wall street angle before apparently. There's some potential.

baphomet

1. Creating a Kickstarter to donate money to a charity is AGAINST THE RULES

2. Creating a Kickstarter to fund an activity in someone's life is AGAINST THE RULES

3. Creating a Kickstarter to help someone out is AGAINST THE RULES

Kickstarter has had FIVE DAYS to take this down. And yet, here it is, still up.

The way it's worded they're donating for educating the girl on how to build an rpg to win a bet with her brothers. It's not a charity, it's not helping someone out, and it's straddling the line on funding an activity with the way it's worded. I highly doubt kickstarter is going to do anything to stop this.

Is it wrong? Not really.

Is it scummy? Yea, probably.

The way it's worded they're donating for educating the girl on how to build an rpg to win a bet with her brothers. It's not a charity, it's not helping someone out, and it's straddling the line on funding an activity with the way it's worded. I highly doubt kickstarter is going to do anything to stop this.

Is it wrong? Not really.

Is it scummy? Yea, probably.

Educating a girl on how to build an RPG = Helping the girl = Against the rules.

jett

D-Member
A multimillionaire recently got funding for developing some horribly-looking abomination that had been stashed away for years, too.

This is worse though, but I gotta give it to the woman. She knows how to exploit fools. I see in the comments section that the fools even defend donating to this thing despite now knowing she's a gazillionaire. :lol Kickstarter shouldn't allow this though.

Dennis

Banned
I am going to do a $5000 Kickstarter to buy me a new rig with SLI Titans. This will allow me to post better screenshots.

At the $10,000 tier you will get a full-color, signed, printout of a screenshot of your choice.

baphomet

Educating a girl on how to build an RPG = Helping the girl

I don't think it falls under helping the girl personally. Of course I don't work for kickstarter so I don't know if they shut stuff like this down. Considering they'll be making a good amount from this I doubt they'll stop it.

I am going to do a $5000 Kickstarter to buy me a new rig with SLI Titans. This will allow me to post better screenshots.

At the $10,000 tier you will get a full-color, signed, printout of a screenshot of your choice.

Funny thing is that would totally work and be following the kickstarter guidelines. Say you're going to start a project of super high quality screen shots, and you're set.

Well GAF, I'm a girl. This is important.

I need to buy a $4,000 computer so I can learn how to program! I should totally start a Kickstarter...

Never mind that I already have a $1,500 gaming PC I built myself. That's irrelevant!!

If this doesn't get taken down, I'm totally doing this. :p

I don't think it falls under helping the girl personally. Of course I don't work for kickstarter so I don't know if they shut stuff like this down. Considering they'll be making a good amount from this I doubt they'll stop it.

Kickstarter Guidlines said:
No "fund my life" projects.

Examples include projects to pay tuition or bills, go on vacation, or buy a new camera.

I don't see how sending the kid to RPG camp (which is the explicitly stated goal of the listing) doesn't fall under this.

wrowa

What annoys me the most about it is the terrible description which is obviously not written by the girl despite the writer want you think that.

Well, a bunch of millionaire game devs have done the same. No?
There's a difference between a multi-million dollar game project and an RPG Maker course for less than a thousand bucks. Even Garriot has invested a huge amount of money into his studio.

That's how you become a millionaire. You try to make money instead of losing money.
More more and more. Untill you come to that glorious point where you are finally truely happy.

AmFreak

I bet the real bet is, if she can find enough dumbfucks to give her money, besides being rich as fuck. I picture it like in "Trading Places".

Top Bottom