• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

Brak

Yeah, I pulled the trigger and cancelled my pledge for the Retronauts kickstarter.

Yo T-Frog, set up a paypal option pretty please.
Megalosoro said:
So I got an email from Kickstarter this morning.

Last night I sent an email to Susan Wilson complaining about how her project was unethical. Today, Kickstarter sent me an email saying I had abused their system and now features on the site are going to be withheld from me.
Hoooooooly shit....

BowieZ

Banned

Last night I sent an email to Susan Wilson complaining about how her project was unethical. Today, Kickstarter sent me an email saying I had abused their system and now features on the site are going to be withheld from me.
Reminds me of eBay.

Time to withdraw until a major policy overhaul.

Doczu

You're serious?

Kusagari

Yeah...fuck Kickstarter.

Goon Boon

Banned

Added to the OP, fucking disgusting of them.

Zoe

Was there anything in your email that could have possibly misconstrued? That's pretty ridiculous.

Oh so now YOU abused the system?

Fuck this, I'm out.

Pulling my Torment backing.

Portugeezer

So they stand to make ~$1500 from this (I am assuming the final total will be close to $30,000 for this as all the media outlets seem to be full of shit and ignorant fucks).

No wonder they don't take it down and ignore their own "rules".

Yeah it was posted, we won even if it doesn't get taken down as the money was going down as people removed pledges (since this story became a story, i.e. some legit backers were removing their pledges)

Takao

Banned

RIPstarter

Was there anything in your email that could have possibly misconstrued? That's pretty ridiculous.

Luckily I have the message saved in word because Kickstarter doesn't let you pull up messages you've sent to people.

"Susan Wilson, your kickstarter project “9 Year Old Building an RPG to Prove Her Brothers Wrong!" is completely in violation of Kickstarter's ToS and you take it down. Kickstarter has a policy of not accepting Fund My Life projects and this definitely counts as one. Furthermore, you have violated Kickstarter's ToS even further by spam advertising your project.

What angers me the most is that it feels like you're exploiting a hot topic issue. Gender relations in gaming is a controversial issue currently and the language used in your project page reeks of taking advantage of that. It seems like you have completely thrown your sons under the bus by playing up the "mean brothers" image."

Perhaps not the most eloquantly written letter ever written, but nothing too bad I don't think.

Here is the message I got from KS:

http://i.imgur.com/DIxGnKz.jpg

Obviously KS didn't think the letter was too bad either or else they wouldn't have made the "Promise to play nice and we'll give your full access back" offer.

Portugeezer

Luckily I have the message saved in word because Kickstarter doesn't let you pull up messages you've sent to people.

"Susan Wilson, your kickstarter project “9 Year Old Building an RPG to Prove Her Brothers Wrong!" is completely in violation of Kickstarter's ToS and you take it down. Kickstarter has a policy of not accepting Fund My Life projects and this definitely counts as one. Furthermore, you have violated Kickstarter's ToS even further by spam advertising your project.

What angers me the most is that it feels like you're exploiting a hot topic issue. Gender relations in gaming is a controversial issue currently and the language used in your project page reeks of taking advantage of that. It seems like you have completely thrown your sons under the bus by playing up the "mean brothers" image."

Perhaps not the most eloquantly written letter ever written, but nothing too bad I don't think.

Obviously KS didn't think the letter was too bad either or else they wouldn't have made the "Promise to play nice and we'll give your full access back" offer.

You told the truth, that was mean, you are a big mean older brother.

Brak

Yeah, your letter is fine. I love the line in their message to you " We take our guidelines very seriously". uhhh no, you clearly don't.

Please tell me you responded by pointing out all the guidelines this idiot has broken with her kickstarter.

Spwn

Very scummy from Kickstarter. "We take our guidelines very seriously".

By the way, according to the Cnet article comments, this indiegogo project is by Susan Wilson's husband. Location: Stevensville, Maryland, United States. Seems like the family has been looking for a project that would take off for a while now. Only tangentially related, but I found it interesting.

AB12

Spwn

Takao

Banned

Brak

To be fair, that's some unfortunate wording. I'm surprised you didn't end that sentence with a "sis!"
Well, I would be ok with kickstarter saying that they will determine whether projects should be taken down or not, and that he should use the report button or whatever.

But to claim that his message is abusive, and then to put his account on probation or some shit is truly messed up.

kirblar

By the way, according to the Cnet article comments, this indiegogo project is by Susan Wilson's husband. Location: Stevensville, Maryland, United States. Seems like the family has been looking for a project that would take off for a while now. Only tangentially related, but I found it interesting.
What a bunch of scumbags.

Holy shit, she played the gender card with her daughter two years ago:

"Mackenzie Wilson
Can’t wait to go treasure hunting on Kent Island (and Coins Beach in Delaware)!!!! PLEASE MOTHER NATURE, move those treasures to where I’m going to find them b/c I’m going to prove to those bratty boys that girls rule and boys drool!"

edit: beaten

Oh my god. Like really? Every article that defended her is going to edit this in right? God tech "journalism" is broken and useless.

Parallacs

So counting the Indiegogo and Kickstarters, this family has started six projects, of which only the most recent has succeeded.

I'm really suprised there hasn't been more outcry about the 9 year old playing Borderlands 2 and Dragon Age II. Those are two of the most violent/mature games out there and are not at all suitable for a 9 year old.

moka

Oh my god. Like really? Every article that defended her is going to edit this in right? God tech "journalism" is broken and useless.

Wow. She's really ingraining the message that girls > boys in her daughter, isn't she? She probably doesn't even know that she's doing it; sexism is second nature to her.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

So the mom has a Kickstarter to get her daughter into video games, and the dad has an Indiegogo to get his kids off of video games. Brilliant. Amazing.

moka

So the mom has a Kickstarter to get her daughter into video games, and the dad has an Indiegogo to get his kids off of video games. Brilliant. Amazing.

Don't you get it? It's so one cancels out the other but they get paid for both.

If that made no sense to you, then you're reading it right.

Here are some gems from the above:

"A blue-collar worker is a member of the working class who performs manual labor."
A blue-collar girl, my name is Susan Wilson.

Yes, yes you are.
I'm such a fan of crowdfunding [..]

She wanted $10,000 funding.
I want to create a collection of simple, easy-to-understand infographics about the REAL lives of top-ranked women to shed some light on the personal choices and tradeoffs that come with professional success.

0xCA2

I'm really suprised there hasn't been more outcry about the 9 year old playing Borderlands 2 and Dragon Age II. Those are two of the most violent/mature games out there and are not at all suitable for a 9 year old.

I was playing MKIII at 4. I think she will be okay...

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Oh man, the Indiegogo thing is hilarious. This is becoming a parody of itself.

Takao

Banned
I like how all of the Indiegogo projects are on the Flexible Funding plan, meaning they get every cent even if the campaign fails to fully fund.

Vamphuntr

This is getting sadder with each passing days. After the red tower, here comes the ugly phone case. Some of the rewards for the Truths of women project are hilarious. 50$ for a facebook mention?

And what the hell is this

Thanks so much for your support. Ever dollar helps! I'll include your name on the Donor List (which is estimated to increase your smarts, relevance & sex appeal >280%.

I'm not familiar with terms related to American Universities but what is an Entrepreneur in Residence? She was that at Georgetown apparently.

Kule

Someone needs to make backups of all of this and send it to kickstarter(incase they can be removed). There is no way that this familly are genuine. Cnet look like fools right now.

Zomba13

Well time to start my own kickstarter.

"Help me buy a new computer to make a high end PC game"
I need a lot of money to get a top of the range PC so I can make a super good looking game. Backers with $20 or more will get a copy of the game. $1000 will get a thank you for me in the credits.
Need additional funds to learn how to actually make a game and make models and all that stuff.
Girls rule, Boys drool. Fund me.

gazele

Banned
Wow, just wow, this whole thing just gets weirder and weirder (and funnier)

I most likely wont be contributing to anymore kickstarters after this

Top Bottom